Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dairy Debate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-01-12 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3291455

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Dairy Debate
Keri, I'm on my phone so I can't quote properly, but the burden of proof is on you because you're making claims that fly in the face of known physiology, and you're quoting nonscientific sources as your references.

2011-01-12 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3294506

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
DerekL - 2011-01-12 9:58 AM
VeganMan - 2011-01-12 9:41 AMIf everything we eat leaves our system after a day or two, how do children grow?  Why do people become obese?  There is no "plausible" chance that "stuff" stays in our blood for days?
Your questions have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Completely different subject. I'm just waiting on some sort of evidence to disprove what I said.

How are my questions not relevant?
You said:
"I can explain to you what happens to food when you eat it, how it gets processed, and how it gets eliminated.  Can you explain to me where these allergens remain in your body?"

So I asked you, the Dr., could they possibly be stored in our blood for more than a day or two?  I think energy can be stored in cells for sometime, any chance other "stuff" could be stored in our cells for more than a day?

ETA: Further, could they stimulate a response in the body that is objectionable? 

Edited by VeganMan 2011-01-12 10:16 AM
2011-01-12 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3294418

User image

Melon Presser
KeriKadi - 2011-01-12 10:34 PM
DerekL - 2011-01-11 10:48 PM
KeriKadi - 2011-01-11 9:20 PM
DerekL - 2011-01-11 4:59 PM
KeriKadi - 2011-01-11 4:44 PM Lots of articles re: breastfeeding and dairy state it takes 10 days to 3 weeks like this one:
http://www.kellymom.com/store/handouts/concerns/dairy-sensitivity.pdf

Doesn't make it right.  Lots of stuff gets repeated because "that's what I heard".

It doesn't take weeks to get rid of any food substance from your body.  You digest it and get rid of it within a day.  There aren't any secret compartments to store it.  You use the broken down fats, proteins, and carbs and the rest goes in the toilet.

I'm not sure anything I would post would make it past you.  Every Mom I know who has a child with an intollerance whether to dairy, gluten, wheat, etc. has been told it takes a certain amount of time to get the allergen out of her system and in turn out of her baby's system.  I know these Moms would love to know it was out sooner because then we would know immediately if something helped rather than taking something out for weeks and hoping for results.  Talk to any lactation consultant and they will tell you the same thing.  I could type in 'how long does it take dairy to get out of your system' in any random search engine and come up with dozens of articles but my guess is you would say the same thing.

I think it would be great to find a pediatrician, lactation consultant etc. that could tell Moms it is our of their system immediately if you could find one please let me know I know a lof of women who would love that information.

It doesn't get past me because I deal in facts and not common wisdom.  I can explain to you what happens to food when you eat it, how it gets processed, and how it gets eliminated.  Can you explain to me where these allergens remain in your body?  

The appeal to authority argument (via quoting other people who've said the same thing and quoting Google) doesn't fly either. You can hear any number of doctors spouting off about all kinds of stuff on a daily basis for which there is no factual basis.  I would ask them the same question I asked you.  Can you show me proof of your claim?  Can you show me even a plausible theory?

I don't argue to be difficult.  There has been a huge push in recent years to adopt evidence based practice in medicine.  People too often relied on "well that's what I heard" or "that's what we've always done" without demanding sound reasoning or a factual basis for those practices.  If we're not demanding evidence, then there's no real basis for our stance on anything. 

Sorry I must have missed the part where you proved through factual proof dairy is out of your system immediately, surely if that is what you are saying you must have proof.  Really, I'd love to read one.  I have looked.  I don't have medical journals but you should.  I have the internet which no matter how many articles I post you just say it's people repeating.  So feel free, please, to post a medical article.  Why is the burden of proof on me? 
Trust me, I hope this information is wrong.  I know an entire community who would love for this to be wrong.  It would be nice to say I know you've always heard that but it's simply not true, here is some research with the truth.

If the truth is that it leaves your system immediately that is great, if you could provide that information I will share it with others rather than repeating what I have always heard which you are stating is wrong without showing me your truth.

Keri, everything we eat that's digestible is broken down into smaller chemical components, and smaller ones, until they are molecules that are actually used by cells in some way ... within a few hours, really.

It's a scientific fact along the lines of mammals generally have a heart and two lungs, females have mammary glands, that sort of thing. I mean, it is very basic textbook science.

Also, there's a huge difference between an intolerance and an allergy.

I'm not trying to be snarky or condescending here. It's truly just the facts.
2011-01-12 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3293749

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-01-11 10:14 PM

I like to challenge myself with different ways of eating just to see what happens. I am a big paleo diet fan because I tried it for myself and liked it, so I kept it. Same goes for gluten-free. low carb, intermittent fasting, kettlebells, etc.

You eat kettlebells? That is bad a$$ right there.
2011-01-12 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3294570

User image

Melon Presser
VeganMan - 2011-01-12 11:12 PM
DerekL - 2011-01-12 9:58 AM
VeganMan - 2011-01-12 9:41 AMIf everything we eat leaves our system after a day or two, how do children grow?  Why do people become obese?  There is no "plausible" chance that "stuff" stays in our blood for days?
Your questions have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Completely different subject. I'm just waiting on some sort of evidence to disprove what I said.

How are my questions not relevant?
You said:
"I can explain to you what happens to food when you eat it, how it gets processed, and how it gets eliminated.  Can you explain to me where these allergens remain in your body?"

So I asked you, the Dr., could they possibly be stored in our blood for more than a day or two?  I think energy can be stored in cells for sometime, any chance other "stuff" could be stored in our cells for more than a day?

Energy isn't matter (at least not at the level we're talking about) and it is not 'stored' in cells.
2011-01-12 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3294573

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
TriAya - 2011-01-12 11:13 AM
KeriKadi - 2011-01-12 10:34 PM
DerekL - 2011-01-11 10:48 PM
KeriKadi - 2011-01-11 9:20 PM
DerekL - 2011-01-11 4:59 PM
KeriKadi - 2011-01-11 4:44 PM Lots of articles re: breastfeeding and dairy state it takes 10 days to 3 weeks like this one:
http://www.kellymom.com/store/handouts/concerns/dairy-sensitivity.pdf

Doesn't make it right.  Lots of stuff gets repeated because "that's what I heard".

It doesn't take weeks to get rid of any food substance from your body.  You digest it and get rid of it within a day.  There aren't any secret compartments to store it.  You use the broken down fats, proteins, and carbs and the rest goes in the toilet.

I'm not sure anything I would post would make it past you.  Every Mom I know who has a child with an intollerance whether to dairy, gluten, wheat, etc. has been told it takes a certain amount of time to get the allergen out of her system and in turn out of her baby's system.  I know these Moms would love to know it was out sooner because then we would know immediately if something helped rather than taking something out for weeks and hoping for results.  Talk to any lactation consultant and they will tell you the same thing.  I could type in 'how long does it take dairy to get out of your system' in any random search engine and come up with dozens of articles but my guess is you would say the same thing.

I think it would be great to find a pediatrician, lactation consultant etc. that could tell Moms it is our of their system immediately if you could find one please let me know I know a lof of women who would love that information.

It doesn't get past me because I deal in facts and not common wisdom.  I can explain to you what happens to food when you eat it, how it gets processed, and how it gets eliminated.  Can you explain to me where these allergens remain in your body?  

The appeal to authority argument (via quoting other people who've said the same thing and quoting Google) doesn't fly either. You can hear any number of doctors spouting off about all kinds of stuff on a daily basis for which there is no factual basis.  I would ask them the same question I asked you.  Can you show me proof of your claim?  Can you show me even a plausible theory?

I don't argue to be difficult.  There has been a huge push in recent years to adopt evidence based practice in medicine.  People too often relied on "well that's what I heard" or "that's what we've always done" without demanding sound reasoning or a factual basis for those practices.  If we're not demanding evidence, then there's no real basis for our stance on anything. 

Sorry I must have missed the part where you proved through factual proof dairy is out of your system immediately, surely if that is what you are saying you must have proof.  Really, I'd love to read one.  I have looked.  I don't have medical journals but you should.  I have the internet which no matter how many articles I post you just say it's people repeating.  So feel free, please, to post a medical article.  Why is the burden of proof on me? 
Trust me, I hope this information is wrong.  I know an entire community who would love for this to be wrong.  It would be nice to say I know you've always heard that but it's simply not true, here is some research with the truth.

If the truth is that it leaves your system immediately that is great, if you could provide that information I will share it with others rather than repeating what I have always heard which you are stating is wrong without showing me your truth.

Keri, everything we eat that's digestible is broken down into smaller chemical components, and smaller ones, until they are molecules that are actually used by cells in some way ... within a few hours, really.

It's a scientific fact along the lines of mammals generally have a heart and two lungs, females have mammary glands, that sort of thing. I mean, it is very basic textbook science.

Also, there's a huge difference between an intolerance and an allergy.

I'm not trying to be snarky or condescending here. It's truly just the facts.

So why do some drugs take time to leave the system?

2011-01-12 10:24 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
I'm very curious about this topic as well, as I have clients that I regularly give dietary advice too, mostly people interested in losing weight. I almost always encourage people to eliminate "problematic" foods form their diet for a period of 30 days to allow time for the body (for example, the gut lining) to heal completely, and that even one slip-up with something like gluten may prevent someone from experiencing the full effect of elimination of the allergen from the diet.
I try very hard to do the following when it comes to educating myself on nutrition info:
1. be open-minded and always open to hearing opposing viewpoints, as this is the only way to expand knowledge
2. Remember that scientific thinking does NOT come naturally and that the bias will always be to "common sense", which is often wrong or at least makes bias easy.
3. remind clients that their own experiences trumps science. If something, or the lack of something, makes you feel better, that experience means more than any scientific literature, lack of proof, abundant proof, etc.

It seems like common sense to me that things like dairy and gluten, which many people have at least a mild sensitivity to (as in being gassy or bloated) takes more than one day to leave the body but maybe it's really the EFFECTS OF THE EXPOSURE that hang around for 7-10 days. The aftermath of a gluten-filled meal on a celiac will not go away in just one day. So does the gluten go away in one day but the effects remain as the body now has an inflammatory response to deal with?
Derek, as a doctor you may be put in an unfair position here when us lay-people talk about medical or nutrition info, but it can really help us and the others reading these threads if you can use YOUR knowledge to further OURS. I know you are busy with your family and your medical practice, but if you have any time to offer your thoughts or any studies you know of on how long an inflammatory response lasts after an allergen exposure, that would help our understanding of this issue.
2011-01-12 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3294602

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
mrbbrad - 2011-01-12 11:22 AM

Drugs unlike food are not broken down into "usable" components and incorporated into the body.  They need to be removed relativly intact, though this is a way oversimplifaction but I really don't think you want me to get into drug metabolim and intermediates.  Those compounds must circulate through the system until they are used for their intended purpose and then eliminated from the body by the filtering systems.   Food is baiscally you in another form drugs are not.
2011-01-12 10:36 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
I understand what ya'll are saying.  Yes, I am the one saying this and I am simply repeating what I have read/been told/heard.  I know and understand how digestion works, I have a little bit of background on that from my national cert.  Not a lot, just a little. 

This information isn't 'mine' I am not offended that/if I am wrong at all.  This information is out there and obviously repeated for better or worse.  I am part of a support group for women who practice attachment parenting including extended breastfeeding.  I would LOVE to have a source for them that dispells all the information that is out there.  Everything we can find says it takes at least 10 days to get dairy out of the system.  For a lot of people removing dairy for 10 days or more is hard and knowing that may not even be the issue makes it harder.

When I was saying I'd love something disputing what I originally posted I was not being combative I was being honest.  If you search the words everything says it takes that long to get it out of your system.  Ya'll are saying that is not the case and honestly I do not know, I only know my personal experience which is obviously anecdotal, only my experience with ONE child and who knows if it really was the dairy? 

OBs, lactation consultants, pediatricians are telling women this not just some article I Googled.  Obviously this does not make it 100% correct maybe they are all wrong.  I would like to find something that states what ya'll are saying so I can post it. 

Yes, food breaks down is used, wasted etc.  I get that but many, many people are told this all the time so if it's wrong and I am going to tell them it's wrong because they are asking ME I'd like to give them something to read. 

2011-01-12 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3294592

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
TriAya - 2011-01-12 10:20 AM

Energy isn't matter (at least not at the level we're talking about) and it is not 'stored' in cells.

So there is nothing that stays in the blood stream for more than a couple days? 
2011-01-12 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3294608

User image

Pro
Houston
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-01-12 10:24 AM I'm very curious about this topic as well, as I have clients that I regularly give dietary advice too, mostly people interested in losing weight. I almost always encourage people to eliminate "problematic" foods form their diet for a period of 30 days to allow time for the body (for example, the gut lining) to heal completely, and that even one slip-up with something like gluten may prevent someone from experiencing the full effect of elimination of the allergen from the diet.
I try very hard to do the following when it comes to educating myself on nutrition info:
1. be open-minded and always open to hearing opposing viewpoints, as this is the only way to expand knowledge
2. Remember that scientific thinking does NOT come naturally and that the bias will always be to "common sense", which is often wrong or at least makes bias easy.
3. remind clients that their own experiences trumps science. If something, or the lack of something, makes you feel better, that experience means more than any scientific literature, lack of proof, abundant proof, etc.

It seems like common sense to me that things like dairy and gluten, which many people have at least a mild sensitivity to (as in being gassy or bloated) takes more than one day to leave the body but maybe it's really the EFFECTS OF THE EXPOSURE that hang around for 7-10 days. The aftermath of a gluten-filled meal on a celiac will not go away in just one day. So does the gluten go away in one day but the effects remain as the body now has an inflammatory response to deal with?
Derek, as a doctor you may be put in an unfair position here when us lay-people talk about medical or nutrition info, but it can really help us and the others reading these threads if you can use YOUR knowledge to further OURS. I know you are busy with your family and your medical practice, but if you have any time to offer your thoughts or any studies you know of on how long an inflammatory response lasts after an allergen exposure, that would help our understanding of this issue.

This is what I was thinking as well.
I am allergic to coconut if I eat/drink it I will have a reaction about 24 hours later and it will last 3 days.  The cocunut is obviously not hanging out but the affects of it to my body are.

2011-01-12 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3294644

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
trinnas - 2011-01-12 11:35 AM

Drugs unlike food are not broken down into "usable" components and incorporated into the body.  They need to be removed relativly intact, though this is a way oversimplifaction but I really don't think you want me to get into drug metabolim and intermediates.  Those compounds must circulate through the system until they are used for their intended purpose and then eliminated from the body by the filtering systems.   Food is baiscally you in another form drugs are not.

Hey, maybe bovine milk is like a drug to humans. That stuff was designed to turn a (on average) 100 lb calf into a (on average) 1600 lb cow.
2011-01-12 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3294608

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
...maybe it's really the EFFECTS OF THE EXPOSURE that hang around for 7-10 days. The aftermath of a gluten-filled meal on a celiac will not go away in just one day.

I think this is what a few of us are trying to say....does anyone object to this?
2011-01-12 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3294671

User image

Champion
mrbbrad - 2011-01-12 11:43 AM

Hey, maybe bovine milk is like a drug to humans. That stuff was designed to turn a (on average) 100 lb calf into a (on average) 1600 lb cow.

Um no The main difference is cow's milk has more protien to build muscles on a calf and less lactose (sugar).  That is why human milk is thinner and sweeter than cows milk.  The protiens themselves are fairly analogous.
2011-01-12 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3294672

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
VeganMan - 2011-01-12 10:43 AM
...maybe it's really the EFFECTS OF THE EXPOSURE that hang around for 7-10 days. The aftermath of a gluten-filled meal on a celiac will not go away in just one day.

I think this is what a few of us are trying to say....does anyone object to this?

As a celiac I can confirm this!
The gluten damages the small intestine, thus preventing normal digestion for sometimes days afterward (every person is different - for me it is about 48 hours. For my sister, she will sometimes have issues a week later). I am hearing those with other intolerances like lactose have similar extended symptoms/effects.

2011-01-12 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3294692

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
trinnas - 2011-01-12 11:51 AM

Um no The main difference is cow's milk has more protien to build muscles on a calf and less lactose (sugar).  That is why human milk is thinner and sweeter than cows milk.  The protiens themselves are fairly analogous.

That's what they want us to believe. I don't know about the rest of you, but this thread is sending me for my tin foil hat. Or a cheese head. Go Pack!

2011-01-12 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3294724

User image

Champion
mrbbrad - 2011-01-12 12:02 PM

That's what they want us to believe. I don't know about the rest of you, but this thread is sending me for my tin foil hat. Or a cheese head. Go Pack!

I'm supposed to pack?  Where are we going?
2011-01-12 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3294699

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
lisac957 - 2011-01-12 10:55 AM

The gluten damages the small intestine, thus preventing normal digestion for sometimes days afterward (every person is different - for me it is about 48 hours. For my sister, she will sometimes have issues a week later). I am hearing those with other intolerances like lactose have similar extended symptoms/effects.

I'm lactose intolerant and it's pretty much the same thing.  Depending on what it is that I eat and how much, I could have problems that day, it could take 2-3 days.
2011-01-12 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3294733

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
trinnas - 2011-01-12 12:04 PM

Funkytown
2011-01-12 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3294744

User image

Champion
mrbbrad - 2011-01-12 12:08 PM
trinnas - 2011-01-12 12:04 PM

Funkytown

OK just so long as I know which tinfoil hat style to pack.
2011-01-12 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3294740

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
LGraff - 2011-01-12 12:06 PM

I'm lactose intolerant and it's pretty much the same thing.  Depending on what it is that I eat and how much, I could have problems that day, it could take 2-3 days.

Carbohydrate Chemistry for $200 Alex:

Sugars are taken up by transporters in the intestines. They bring sugars from your digestive tract into the blood stream where they can be stored in cells to be called on for energy demands placed against the body. Water is used to assist the electrolytic balance of these transporters.

OK, glucose / fructose are mono-saccarides. They have 1 molecule of sugar in the structures. Lactose is a di-saccaride, meaning 2 sugars are linked together. The transporter has a specific shape, size and ionic charge to it meaning lactose is tougher to deliver than the mono-saccaride sugar. More water is drawn in to assist, meaning that lots of water PLUS an insult to the transporter, therefore high motility of waste (and inflammation due to an insult to the tissue) is starting to brew. Hence, the typical symptoms of "intolerance" flare up.

Everyone has different expression levels and, likely, genetic mutations of glucose (and other) transporters, meaning some of us are more "tolerant" than others. Menaing, some of us can handle more lactose than others.

Drug transporters and side effect profiles follow the same logic, except many of these are in the liver and kidneys and not the gut. Liver and kidneys are for clearance and the gut, uptake.

Edited by pitt83 2011-01-12 11:18 AM

2011-01-12 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3294771

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
pitt83 - 2011-01-12 11:16 AM

Carbohydrate Chemistry for $200 Alex: Sugars are taken up by transporters in the intestines. They bring sugars from your digestive tract into the blood stream where they can be stored in cells to be called on for energy demands placed against the body. Water is used to assist the electrolytic balance of these transporters. OK, glucose / fructose are mono-saccarides. They have 1 molecule of sugar in the structures. Lactose is a di-saccaride, meaning 2 sugars are linked together. The transporter has a specific shape, size and ionic charge to it meaning lactose is tougher to deliver than the mono-saccaride sugar. More water is drawn in to assist, meaning that lots of water PLUS an insult to the transporter, therefore high motility of waste (and inflammation due to an insult to the tissue) is starting to brew. Hence, the typical symptoms of "intolerance" flare up. Everyone has different expression levels and, likely, genetic mutations of glucose (and other) transporters, meaning some of us are more "tolerant" than others. Menaing, some of us can handle more lactose than others. Drug transporters and side effect profiles follow the same logic, except many of these are in the liver and kidneys and not the gut. Liver and kidneys are for clearance and the gut, uptake.

Can I take you with me to my A&P classes?
2011-01-12 11:23 AM

User image

Melon Presser
pitt83 - 2011-01-13 12:16 AM

Carbohydrate Chemistry for $200 Alex: Sugars are taken up by transporters in the intestines. They bring sugars from your digestive tract into the blood stream where they can be stored in cells to be called on for energy demands placed against the body. Water is used to assist the electrolytic balance of these transporters. OK, glucose / fructose are mono-saccarides. They have 1 molecule of sugar in the structures. Lactose is a di-saccaride, meaning 2 sugars are linked together. The transporter has a specific shape, size and ionic charge to it meaning lactose is tougher to deliver than the mono-saccaride sugar. More water is drawn in to assist, meaning that lots of water PLUS an insult to the transporter, therefore high motility of waste (and inflammation due to an insult to the tissue) is starting to brew. Hence, the typical symptoms of "intolerance" flare up. Everyone has different expression levels and, likely, genetic mutations of glucose (and other) transporters, meaning some of us are more "tolerant" than others. Menaing, some of us can handle more lactose than others. Drug transporters and side effect profiles follow the same logic, except many of these are in the liver and kidneys and not the gut. Liver and kidneys are for clearance and the gut, uptake.

"Commander. I'm sexually aroused."
2011-01-12 11:24 AM

User image

Champion
pitt83 - 2011-01-12 12:16 PM

I just love it when you talk nerdy!!!!!  and Bio nerdy to boot!!!! 
2011-01-12 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3294797

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
trinnas - 2011-01-12 12:24 PM

pitt83 - 2011-01-12 12:16 PM

I just love it when you talk nerdy!!!!!  and Bio nerdy to boot!!!! 

Don't get me started on skin and nasal routes of delivery. That's boudoir talk there!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dairy Debate Rss Feed  

of 4