General Discussion Race Reports! » Gunstock Winter Triathlon - Championship Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gunstock Winter Triathlon - Championship Course - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gilford, New Hampshire
United States
Channel Multisport
10F / -12C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 41s
Overall Rank = 13/14
Age Group = 45+
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

READ THIS REPORT FROM RUN TO BIKE TO SWIM (XC-SKI) otherwise it might not make sense!!!!!

This is the short course not the Championship course (thank god)
At the time of this writing the slits aren't in yet...manual timing!

I ate a blueberry muffin and had a 12 ounce cytomax drink

Event warmup:

Should have gotten a better warm up but took the bike out on the course to check conditions and get tire pressure right - somewhere around 20-25 psi

lots of returning to the car for forgotten items. Took this opportunity to jog back and forth
Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

This segment was actually the easiest - who would have thunk? Skis...on snow? OK.. that having been said....since my legs were toast from the bike I fell on the skis about 10feet after putting them on. And then again! DAMN! My husband saw that. At least he didn't take a picture of it.....oh my shame...LOL. It was great once I got in the groove… Literally; I was doing the classic ski and found the ski tracks to get into. I made the first hill OK but the 2nd one was a lot steeper. I could see everyone up ahead doing a really wide herring bone. I wasn't so lucky. About halfway up I started to slide backward then I just toppled over in a heap. Oh no! Here come 6 more people. I tried to control my skis and stay to the side as much as possible but because everyone wanted to do the herring bone so wide I was just in the way. I ended up taking out 4 people....oh the newbie skier! Finally I was left to my own struggle. The rest of the course was pretty uneventful except for this loooong downhill. I gathered too much speed and crashed! At least no one saw me and I didn't take anybody out! Finally the finish was in sight.....Oh thank God!
What would you do differently?:

learn how to ski skate coz its faster than the classic style and own my own equipment so I can practice a lot without going broke on rental fees.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This is from the RUN to the BIKE. I just pealed off the micro-spikes and was ready to go. I wanted to take off that 3rd layer but then thought better of it as I was already sweating. I am glad I kept it on! I did fumble a bit putting on the helmet but otherwise I am happy here.

Drink!
Bike
  • 00m
  • 2.4 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

This seemed to be my strongest segment. I really love the bike! Since I was at the back of the pack from the run, everyone had churned the snow in spots, making it soft and ripe for wiping out. The hard pack was awesome to ride and I actually got a little speed (notice I said little) I had taken a Cyclocross-clinic earlier in the fall and all the techniques that I learned there really came into play here. I got good and jumping off the bike and running with it and jumping back on all in a fluid motion so I didn't lose too much time. And I never fell! I did get stuck in one particularly soft section and had to walk to the downhill portion to get back on the bike. I tend to stand when going up hill and hover over the seat on the downhill’s but I had to keep telling myself to keep my ass on the seat lest my back wheel just spin and spin and spin! 2 miles seemed to stretch on forever! By the time I got back to the T-zone my legs were toast!

Get snow tires for the bike and ride a lot more on snow and DRINK!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This is from the BIKE to the XC SKI

I was tired and cold coming into T2. My coordination was a little off and I knocked the skis over trying to re-rack the bike. Oh well they were going on the ground anyway! I took the extra time to take the toe warmers out of my sneakers and put them into the XC Ski boots. Well worth the extra effort!

I finally took my first drink here! I realized how thirsty I was so I took the hydration belt with me.

not sure! Just be better trained to do all this in the snow so I may not be so tired next time coming into T2
Run
  • 00m
  • 2.4 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The race was very casual. There were only 50 or so racers most of them doing the long course. There were 14 of us in the short course. READY..SET..GO! I kinda expected to go somewhat close to my natural running pace but soon the pack left me and 2 others behind. My pace was crawl like. You ever have a dream in which someone or something is chasing you and all you can manage is a slow motion run? Yeah that was me! Running in snow is a lot like that: Getting nowhere fast. That left me and my Dreamfar Teammate...Amy. We ran together for awhile...walking the uphills. By the 2nd lap though I had left her behind.....now I ran alone...until the 1st of the bikes showed up and then they really churned up the snow making it soft. It wasn't till this 2nd lap that I remember to take in the beauty of the course...

more training on snow and less layers. Since i have never run in 10F I had on three layers. COuld have done with only 2. Also wore a face mask which ended up around my neck because I was so hot. Should have maybe had it in a pocket

Drink!
Post race
Warm down:

Too cold to hang around for times and awards. Went to the closest restaurant and ordered a hot chocolate with butterscotch schnapps in it. YUM! Warm me up! Oh yeah...I ordered food too!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold...the snow.....

Event comments:

This race was well organized. The RD kept the racers up to date on the starting time - if temps go below 4F we can not race. I would do this one again...if I am so inclined to do another winter triathlon. The course was VERY well marked coz, lets face it, who the hell is going to stand around in 10F to make sure you make your turn?! The sound system was cranking rock music at the transition zone...ahhhhh civilization!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-12-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/14
Performance: Average
READ THIS SEGMENT LAST AS IT IS THE XC SKI
Suit:
Course: One lap around Cobble mountain. Beautiful course! Wow! I wanna go back just to XC ski this for fun! This was a ski only route so the snow was perfect. And those damn hills!
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 02.4 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
one lap around the course
Wind: Some
Course: shared some of the run course - hills - snow was soft in spots
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 02.4 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Below average
2 laps around the course
Course: hard packed XC ski trails and hilly
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-01-25 1:59 PM

User image

Expert
Boston
Subject: Gunstock Winter Triathlon - Championship Course
I will post the splits as soon as they come in

Edited by Seren 2011-01-25 2:00 PM

2011-01-25 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3320930

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Gunstock Winter Triathlon - Championship Course
That sounds CRAZY COOL!  Awesome job out there taking on the elements!  Funny about you taking out a few people on the skis, but hey.. that' to be expected on that type of course anyway, right?

Great pictures too.  You're an animal! 

Wish we could hang out, we'd have FUN!!!
2011-01-26 8:24 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-01-26 9:12 AM

Regular
you rock!!! way to try something new!! just think, next time you'll be a seasoned winter racer
2011-01-26 11:20 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Very cool event and way to push the comfort zone in racing by trying something new!!
2011-01-26 2:43 PM

Master
Hingham, Ma

Awesome job Seren.  I would have fallen many more times on the skis.  What a cool event.  And the people in the south always tease us about our winters.  Well, they don't have this. 

2011-01-26 5:01 PM

Champion
Calgary
sounds like a blast, good job.
2011-01-27 2:04 PM

Expert
Boston
Finally got the splits:

RUN: 2.6 miles - 35:03
BIKE: 2.04 miles - 26.45
SKI: 2 miles 42:53

Transition times are built in with the bike and ski times
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gunstock Winter Triathlon - Championship Course Rss Feed