In Motion
43F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 48s
Overall Rank = 2412/7018
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 36/244
Pre-race routine:

Up before alarm, 4:50 or so. Showered quickly and got downstairs for tea, meditation and dressing, etc. Ate PBJ with banana on Corn Thin, egg white and some dry granola. Picked up L to drive to event. Got there with plenty of time to spare. Visited PP and walked around stretched, checked my bag and back to PP. Found my Wave 3 and waiting for the gun. No national anthem, not much talking until we got up to the start line. They started a minute or so late (no bigger) and our wave was off 5 or 6 minutes after the first start.
Event warmup:

stretched doing dynamic warm up and leg swings and some static stretches as well. Walking around
Run
  • 2h 02m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Took my first gel (power bar) at mile 5 or so. Only had half and made sure I had water within minutes. I resisted the urge to go out too fast. I was near the 1:50 pace group sign and didn't think I'd run that fast (and I didn't) so I kept monitoring my pace to make sure I wasn't going to fast. With this injury I"ve had I wanted to make sure I didn't injure myself further and/or burn out early in this run. I think I did a good job of gaging that. I kind of took it at 4 miles increments. The first 4 I was warming up and seeing how everything felt. Good strong pace, not too fast, not too slow. Second 4 I started feeling a little hungry and peeled some layers off, still strong and nice mostly flat along the coast.

At mile 6.2 I was a bit tired and knew I needed to pick up the pace if I wanted sub2. Then I realized it really didn't matter what my time was, what mattered was how was my HBS (injury) and how am I holding up for a strong finish? How is my stomach? My right hip flexor and hip and glute was tightening up some and I debated about whether to stop and stretch, but decided against it. It was never THAT bad, or I"ve learned to ignore certain pains. The serious ones I listen to, or at least try to. Felt that my left calf was cramping up some so tried to get my margarita blokes out but with this new spy belt I couldn't easily get to the zipper so I just made sure I drank some ultima, which has some electrolytes in it.

The next 4 miles were more challenging and around mile 10 I ate 1/2 of my other gel knowing the caffeine would help tremendously. I saw a guy with a decent pace come by and I just decided to stay with him, or very close to him. I did until the next aid station and he somehow ended up behind me and I never saw him again. several people were finding their kick around mile 11 and started to pass by. I slowed on the mild incline right there but then once I crested the hill I felt pretty good and knew I could make up some time on the other side, since it was a decline.

I wouldn't allow myself to look at my pace or time from this point on. I just wanted to run how I felt. Sometimes all this technology takes away to just go how you feel. I was afraid if I looked at my watch I would think "I'm going too fast" and slow and I didn't want that to happen. Looking at my GPS afterward on the computer I see where I was around 7:45 pace at that point and I might have slowed down had I known that. Coming into the final 1 1/2 miles, I knew I could push a bit harder and I realized I had been pushing because I was feeling queasy and thought about getting sick. I wouldn't have, but my stomach might have had other plans. I continued to speed up a bit and was able to power in. Had one guy yell my name (names were on our bibs) and that really helped. I was very focused, just listening to whatever metal song my son had put on my running list and pumping like I could with arms and legs in rhythm.

This felt really, really good, no great, to be able to kick it in that last little bit. While running down that last incline, I felt a nudge on my right elbow and looked over to see the 2:00 pace leader running alongside me. He and I stayed at the same pace for a while, then he went ahead a bit, then when I was pushing it in, I passed him. He was looking around to make sure his peeps came in under 2. My watch said 2;02 so it will be interesting to see what the official time is. I came to the corner and knew I was able to really do a respectable kick. Not so much that I didn't run hard enough, but just enough to know I was spending what was in me.

Woo-hoo. Nice, nice finish and really a great run. I feel like I made some good decisions with regard to fueling and drinking. I didn't stop at the PP once. Remarkable really.

Got my medal from a nice boy with a red cast on his arm. Pretty medals this year, too. They have a little surfboard on them. If I can get my act together I'll try to get a photo and post.
What would you do differently?:

Other than not have an injury, I think I made really good decisions and had a good run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched some. Got in line to retrieve my bag then hit the porta potty again and then walked to the car and stopped to stretch a bit. Once I got to the car, got my wallet and went into Henry's to get some chocolate soy milk as a recovery drink. All they had in light was a 1/2 gallon so that's what I got.

Came home and went into the neighbor's unheated pool to chill my legs and booty. Felt good in a weird way. DH went over and chatted with me. Had some hummus egg whites and yogurt and hot tea (decaf of course). Now I"m chillin' in front of the TV on the bed after a 15 or 20 minute hot shower. Oh, I stretched on the floor with Sadie and Augie (dogs) and a kitty.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My ongoing but-getting-better injury.

Event comments:

This is my 3rd Carlsbad 1/2 marathon. I like the wave starts. They really help with the congestion at the start, especially with that little up and over to get over the freeway. The bands were really great this year, too! Volunteers are always plentiful and friendly. Good race, well done!

Last updated: 2011-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:02:48 | 13.1 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/244
Overall: 2412/7018
Performance: Good
Course: Great course, minor hills and great coastal route. Waves were gorgeous. Watched a surfer in the curl and another ride a wave all the way in. A beautiful sight. No dolphins this year though. Kept all 3 layers on until mile 4ish, then peeled off top layer and wrapped around waist. Took off 2nd layer and carried it then tossed it. It was ready for the dumpster anyway. I was comfortable temp. wise. I dropped my hat while taking off the first layer and didn't even know it. A guy came up behind me and handed it to me.Thank you! I thanked him then but again, very nice gesture. Oh, also got to see the leader(s) of the 1/2 and full marathon -- Kenyans. God, I love to watch them run. They are so inspiring. Also, I didn't start up a conversation with anyone this race like I usually do. I was kind of in my own space and it was nice. I did give some yahoos to some and I liked one guy's shirt that said something like "run without taking the joy out of running." That's not exactly it, but it meant something to me at the time, and now as well. I'm very grateful today...grateful that I can go out and run a half marathon without killing myself to train for it and without feeling totally trashed...grateful that I could run without too much pain and grateful for just being alive.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-01-25 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: Carlsbad Half Marathon

2011-01-25 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3321219

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Carlsbad Half Marathon
Nice job coming off the protracted "HBS"!
2011-01-26 6:37 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
awesome job Lynn!!!

2011-01-27 7:48 AM

Expert
Wow Lynn, good job in running a smart race and managing butt complaints ;-) Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlsbad Half Marathon Rss Feed