General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone using PhysFarm Race Day software? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-10 9:03 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: Anyone using PhysFarm Race Day software?

Saw the earlier discussion about calculating "stress score".  I use WKO+ for cycling and that software calcualates TSS (training stress score).  I have read Dr. Skiba's book on training with power and he discusses calculating TSS for all 3 sports. Seems interesting way to monitor training. I was wondering if anyone was using the Race Day software his site discusses.  Likes, dislikes any general thoughts. Thanks

Randy

2011-02-10 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3348470

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Anyone using PhysFarm Race Day software?
I have been using it for 14 months now.

For measuring load/stress, I find it excellent. I think it's worth it's price just for that.
On top of the load/stress scores, I like the way it presents time spent in various zones based on Power and Pace vs HR.

For analysis of rides I find it average. I much prefer Golden Cheetah. I find the two complimentary.

I really like the way it does a 'nomalized pace' for my runs. A hilly course at 4:45/km will show me that that's a 4:30 equivalent on a flat course.

For the swim it's good. I mostly do freestyle sets and it works great for that. Start doing a lot of the other strokes and kicking and it will be hard to get any type of accurate scoring. Everything is based on your threshold pace.

I am not so sure about it's ability to predict performance. I probably don't test enough for it to figure out the correct constant. I have 'tweeked' the constants to get performance curves that mapped good/bad performances. The curves that allow to figure out how/when to taper are cool, but I don't use them. This part is not something I use much but I find it cool to tinker with.

Support is excellent. Dr Phil is always very, very helpful.

I am using it more and more to try and plan workouts, not just log them, which was the reason I started that other thread.

Overal I would say it's a great tool.

2011-02-10 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3348503

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC

I would pretty much echo everything marcaq said, including the preference for Golden Cheetah for ride analysis.  I used WKO+ for years, but could no longer put up with having a windows virtual machine just for that one app (I'm on a mac) so started using RaceDay Apollo. 

2011-02-10 5:53 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Been using it since I got my PT in August.  It's great.  I really liked his books and that's why I got the software.  A coworker developed the models with him and he believes in it too.  he also said the biggest advantage of doing teh performance tests and getting a customized model is knowing your exact taper dates, the drop dead date (workouts after this day will have a negative effect on raceday performance) and the "workouts will have maximum benefit on race day if you do it on this day" info (each days are difference for the three sports).  He claims his Bikescore, xpower (TSS/Norm Power analogues) are more accurate.  The software is not the most intuitive, but quite easy once you get used to it.  I've also emailed him directly about bugs and gotten quick responses and software updates to fix them.
2011-02-10 7:29 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I've been using a RaceDay for about a year and a half now; I really like the software for data analysis and before purchasing the software, used it to analyze an entire season of data from my training and was very impressed with how well it modeled my performance.

I have also considered going to it as my primary software to deliver training to athletes but since not all my athletes are using powermeters, I am staying with TrainingPeaks for now.  Since starting to use RaceDay, I rarely use WKO+ anymore as RaceDay has the the features that I want/need.

Shane
2011-02-11 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3349585

User image

Extreme Veteran
gsmacleod - 2011-02-10 7:29 PM  used it to analyze an entire season of data from my training and was very impressed with how well it modeled my performance.

Hi Shane,

How often do you test ? What do you use as a test for the 3 different sports ?

2011-02-11 2:47 PM

User image

over a barrier
I have it but don't feel 100% confident using to it or understanding the results. I still use WKo+ for individual file review and really like. I need to spend some time at Dr. Phil's blog understanding it some more. I don't see myself using it exclusively but will use it...

The customer support is 100% top notch
2011-02-11 9:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
I have been using it for a year now. I completely agree with marcag account above. That has been my experience.
Planning tapering and peaking with this software will never be a straight forward process like it may become as I understand with WKO. The reason is that Dr. Skiba uses Banister's impulse response model that has some fundamental flaws as you would notice that any activity inside the "taper window" leads to degradation of performance below peak values, regardless how well the constants are defined. The story is too long to discuss.
Until I begin to understand that aspect of the software, I will not be able to fully use it to my advantage.
GC complements it well.
I do swim mixed stroke, pull, kick, various temp pools, software cannot account for that. Free sets yes or any stroke where you define LT swim pace.
Despite some downfalls I use it to a good degree.

2011-02-12 7:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Firestone, CO
I use it too. Not a big fan of the software for a few reasons. Here are a few of the annoying features that go above and beyond what has been talked about previously:
1. I don't use metric and you can specify this in the preferences, however your uploaded data still shows metric.... annoying.
2. Uploaded files from Garmin are displayed in oldest first so you have to scroll down to see your latest runs. I would think the software should be able to tell what runs are new and automatically upload them like other software does.
3. Activities are displayed showing the oldest first so you have to scroll to the bottom to see your latest workouts. They just show the calculated stress so if you want more information on the activity you have to take multiple steps just to see the distance you ran or the graph of the exercise.

If I didn't love my mac so much I would return to the free software of sporttracks or use WKO.
Do I think the software is worth $120? NO. Maybe $40
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone using PhysFarm Race Day software? Rss Feed