Kansas City Track Club
24+F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 28m 19s
Overall Rank = 9/12
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I very rarely dream about races, but had two dreams the night before each featuring LindaKC. In the first version we eat and go shopping after the race only to realize at 1:45pm that I had "forgotten" to run the last loop of the course. In the second, we're hanging out at her house when I realize I had left my drop bag at the race start, but totally forgot to run the race at all and worry the race officials will send out a search party for me.
Run
  • 7h 28m 19s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 14m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

This was truly an amazing race for me. A beautiful day to be outside! My recent runs have not gone particularly well and this was only my 3rd trail run ever (I did a trail 50k last year and one loop of this course last month) so I was initially mostly concerned about making the aid station cut-offs to finish. I really concentrated on running all of the runable sections because I didn't know if I would start falling apart later in the race. I didn't really have any low points. I'm finally to the point where I have enough race/training experience that not much phases me or gets me down. I did start feeling a little sorry for myself because my nose was running so much during the 1st and 2nd loop and then realized if that was the worst of my problems I was having a great race. I kept thinking of how sometimes a race kicks your butt and sometimes you kick butt and decided I would be doing the latter. It was a little weird when I finished my second loop they tried to give me a finisher's medal and I had to tell them I had one loop left. Almost like in my dream! I kind of wanted to re-body glide my feel, but knew it would be mental torture to sit with all the finishers for even a minute knowing I was only 2/3 done. Really glad I screwed my shoes, but did still fall about 7 times. Hitting my knee on a rock once, both hips and even slipping and then sliding (only about 3 feet, but it was slow motion) down the side of the hill hoping there was someone behind me to hear me yell for help if I couldn't climb up! My knees are bruised and my toes traumatized, but no blood and no broken bones so all's good. I barely missed a total face-plant with asphalt tripping on snow to cross a road 1/2 mile from the finish. I don't know how my muscles were able to react so well at the point, but so thankful! I didn't even notice my troublesome left leg until partway in the 3rd loop and about 1/2 mile from the finish barely got to "pain" level, but I'm almost thankful because it was definitely IT band and with my recent symptoms, I really thought I might have a nerve impingement. I can conquer IT band problems. 3 miles from the finish a guy I had run with off and on said he was going to "be my coach" and encouraged me to run the rest of the way. "How ya feeling? Good. There's a girl behind us who's a better climber than you, but you're faster so don't let her catch up! There's a lot of runable trail ahead, so run it!" It's nice to have someone believe in you. It did really help me kick it up a notch the last bit when I knew I didn't "have to" to make the cut-off. I kept thinking how I always seem to do better than I think I can and tried to access that reserve of power. I can honestly say I ran my best, no slacking here.
What would you do differently?:

I think my race strategy and execution were pretty solid. My loop splits could've been a little more even (2:19:33/2:26:11/2:42:35), but I'm super proud of this run.
Post race
Warm down:

They had on-site deep tissue and had the girl work on my left leg. I should not be happy that it was so obviously my IT band. She suggested glute strengthening which is news to me. I will be looking into it. I stayed after a while and talked to my temporary "coach" who finished just ahead of me and waited to see me come in. I talked to him about the Heartland race which he's done. We got on the topic of BQs and he, kindly, can't believe my road times are as "slow" as they are. Speed's in me somewhere, just have to get the guts to let in out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If I actually trained on trails I would probably be faster :) This is almost an hour (52 minutes) faster then my last trail 50k, so no complaints.

Event comments:

The best shirt (super soft hoodie) and medal (had a tornado and Toto) I think I've ever gotten. Super supportive volunteers. I thought I might feel a little weird being at the race by myself, but it was probably better that way because I was able to 100% focus on my race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-01-17 12:00 AM
Running
07:28:19 | 31.07 miles | 14m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/12
Performance: Good
Course: 3 loops mostly single-track trails. Deep snow the 1st loop, slush the 2nd loop and mud the 3rd loop. Lots of steep hills, steep descents and rocks.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-02-13 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Psycho Wyco Run Toto Run 50K

2011-02-14 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3352922

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Psycho Wyco Run Toto Run 50K
Amber,
GREAT JOB out there! I am so proud of you for doing this race. I wanted to come spectate & cheer, but Dave and I were out of town. And if we weren't, you could've totally skipped the 3rd loop to get lunch and go shopping together!

You definitely have speed in there, and tons of endurance to boot! You are a superwoman!
2011-02-14 12:03 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Yaaaay I'm so proud of you! You are amazing and LOOK amazing in the photos!
Can't wait to see what you do at Cowtown where (hopefully) there is no falling involved

Woot!

2011-03-23 10:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice job out there.  That was one tough trail (for me) w/ the snow on the ground.  I wish I would have known there was another BTer on the course w/ me!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Psycho Wyco Run Toto Run 50K Rss Feed