General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ADPi-athlon: A Unique Triathlon Challenge : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Show Per page

of 5

2011-04-03 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3367450

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: ADPi-athlon: A Unique Triathlon Challenge : Official Thread

gorgeous day for a race, started solid in the swim and bike.. #61 in fellt good on the swim, passed a few, solid on the bike, especially the back half.. coming into T2 got out of the shoes, swung my right leg around to dismount and the left pedal unclipped.. road rash on your toes/feet really sucks.. hit the ground pretty good so i'm out of commission for a week or so, not going to be able to run for at least a week (or even put shoes on).

at least i was told I had the most spectacular crash..

pissed because i was having a solid race..

need to crush GJCC and the rest of the season.

hope everyone's day at least ended better than mine.

2011-04-03 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

I had a pretty good race.  Lots of traffic in the swim; one guy doing the back stroke and a water buffalo trying to pass him - so I had to walk a bit until I could swim to get around both of them.  5:59 on my watch after I got up the ladder.  I think it was yards, and I could pull a 5:40 in fairly clear water in training.  They didn't start a lot of the swim by seeding numbers, so there was a lot of congestion.

Bike was fine and I didn't push it too terribly hard.  Saw a gorgeous white Ferrari (old school) 308 as I got back near the campus.

My run was fine, but I had got so used to my Garmin in training, and I accidentaly left it at home today, I couldn't tell how to pace myself.  So I scurried as best I could and tried to judge my times on each mile marker.  I had a negitive split on mile 2 and hope I did on mile 3.

There were still people finishing when I left after I saw I placed 7th out of 16 in my AG (45-49).   Hopefully some more in my AG came in later.

If they'd organize the swim better - that is my only complaint.  Otherwise, it was a well run race in my opinion.

I hope you heal up soon, Derek!  See you at GJCC! 

Forgot to ask: Does anyone know if the official results are posted online anywhere?  I didn't see an official website for the race on TriFind.com.

Edited by orange223 2011-04-03 5:11 PM
2011-04-03 5:26 PM

Estill Springs

As this was my first triathlon, I really didn't know what to expect. I started near the end of the swim which I now think was a mistake. I didn't feel like I ever got going decently because of the crowd.

The bike was good. My chain came off in mid-shift but I had it back on in just a few seconds. New bike so it shouldn't have done that.

The run is where I thought I'd make up some time which I did but not as much as I thought. I never got up to my normal pace. Probably not unusual for a first-timer.

No idea on times, but the Finish clock was at 1:47 when I crossed. Not sure how far back I started.

I really enjoyed it and had a lot of fun. Can't wait for GJCC and Mach Tenn.

2011-04-03 7:16 PM

User image

Murfreesboro

Results should be posted here sometime tonight

http://racedayevents.net/

Did my personal best times in all three events.  Had to find my starting time group for the swim.  I think I started with Derek but I don't remember his name.  Passed 4 in swim and a lot of bump and grind in the water.  T1 went well for me.  Bike was great with no problems.  Coming into T2 I saw a really bad wipeout.  I think that was Derek but I'm not sure.  I thought my run time was way slow but it turned out to be my quickest 5k ever.  I got there real early to set up my transistion area and was told to move to the other end which was upsetting.  Didn't have my bib number with me when I got my chip and the guy gave me a hard time.  Coming out of the pool an old man and woman walked out in front of me and I about slipped and fell trying not to knock him over. 

I really enjoyed my first tri.  I'M HOOKED!  My total time was 1:07 finished 9th in age 45-49.  Met a lot of awesome people!

2011-04-03 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3427636

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
dbrawders - 2011-04-03 3:23 PM

gorgeous day for a race, started solid in the swim and bike.. #61 in fellt good on the swim, passed a few, solid on the bike, especially the back half.. coming into T2 got out of the shoes, swung my right leg around to dismount and the left pedal unclipped.. road rash on your toes/feet really sucks.. hit the ground pretty good so i'm out of commission for a week or so, not going to be able to run for at least a week (or even put shoes on).

I've been worried that would happen and I've been meaning to really clamp down the tension on my pedals.
2011-04-03 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3427636

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
dbrawders - 2011-04-03 3:23 PM

I hate to hear about your wreck. Apparently my wife was standing in that area and saw it. She was telling me about it and said it was pretty bad. Also, I think my stepdad was one of the people doctoring you up after the crash. I hope you recover quickly.

2011-04-03 10:15 PM

Extreme Veteran

please tell your stepdad thank you for me! it hurt (and still does), but I'll heal just will take a couple of weeks.

Tgober, yep that was probably me, there was another one fairly close by from what i was told.

JeffY, saw you finish, strong run man.

The swim for me was good, they did a better job last year of spacing out the swim but since they had over twice the people they were definitely putting people in much quicker.

I also completely had to jump to avoid a little old lady who decided to leave the exit of the swim area WALKING RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME ON THE TIMING MATT. not even sure if I got a time for the swim due to this.. maybe keep a seperate door for the spectators and one for the athletes?

only other issue was trying to get around someone who was using up the majority of the road and around the corners.. slowed me up a bit, but more frustrating than anything else.

overall good race, just didn't go as planned.

see you guys out there soon.

2011-04-04 6:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
results were sent in email, 5:44 swim for me. considering the climb up the ladder and acrobatics to not knock over a little lady, pretty pleased
2011-04-04 7:51 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Gold member

Great job everyone!  What an awesome day for early season racing. 

I was impressed with ADPi's ability to pull off such a large race (67 to 191 this year).  I think that race is going to blow up next year.  With a few minor tweaks (spacing out the swim and not having the course overlap), that race will continue to grow. 

2011-04-04 7:52 AM

Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to any of you guys after the race. For my first tri ever I really enjoyed it.

It's nice knowing where to improve finally. My transitions went pretty wel but there's time to shave. For the swim I just wanted to finish MOP and not be gased. The bike I went out too hard and paid for it on the run, but still placed pretty solid overall on the bike/run.

My wife heard about the wreck, glad you're okay. Overall I thought the event went pretty well. As others mentioned, the crowd control was a bit lacking. More than a few times she was trying to get spectators out of the way when athletes were coming, yet there were volunteers standing right there. Especially the mess coming out of the pool. But the event went pretty smoothly overall, especially considering it's only their 3rd time out.

I enjoyed that a lot more than road races. I was pretty tired after the event, but my muscles weren't screaming in agony like they typically after a hard road race.

2011-04-04 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3428305

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
BC4UA - 2011-04-04 7:52 AM

Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to any of you guys after the race. For my first tri ever I really enjoyed it.

It's nice knowing where to improve finally. My transitions went pretty wel but there's time to shave. For the swim I just wanted to finish MOP and not be gased. The bike I went out too hard and paid for it on the run, but still placed pretty solid overall on the bike/run.

My wife heard about the wreck, glad you're okay. Overall I thought the event went pretty well. As others mentioned, the crowd control was a bit lacking. More than a few times she was trying to get spectators out of the way when athletes were coming, yet there were volunteers standing right there. Especially the mess coming out of the pool. But the event went pretty smoothly overall, especially considering it's only their 3rd time out.

I enjoyed that a lot more than road races. I was pretty tired after the event, but my muscles weren't screaming in agony like they typically after a hard road race.

Glad you enjoyed it.  There is a lot more fun to be had at triathlons than single-sport races. 

Come back for more.  GJCC is coming up next month.

2011-04-04 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3428107

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Brawders, we never got to meet did we?

I met a self-proclaimed Lurker here named Matt (hope that's right).  I never noticed anyone with BT written on them, but I didn't lurk around in the appointed place.  After finishing I went out for another easy lap of the course with some friends.

I officially hurt my achilles yesterday.  Here's hoping it calms down soon and doesn't become a 'thing'.

2011-04-04 8:48 AM

I agree with the fun level. My friend and I have been talking smack on road races for awhile before we decided to start tri's. I really like the aspect of being able to catch someone during the various legs if one area is weak.

The ladies did a good job with the event overall. I was impressed.

And on an unrelated note, the 'Boro seems like a pretty nice city. This weekend was the first time I've really spent any lengh of time there. MTSU was nice as well.

2011-04-04 9:18 AM

Estill Springs
I didn't get emailed the results. Probably because I registered day of. Could someone email me the results please? My email is: Musicman21 at gmail.com
2011-04-04 9:29 AM

User image

Murfreesboro

Musicman, results are in your inbox. 

Jeffy, I looked around and I was the only one with BT on my arm.  I remember seeing you judging from your profile picture.  Hope your injury heals quickly!

2011-04-04 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

I broke a valve stem on my front race wheel pumping it up at home just before leaving.  So I had to change that out after some panicking and I didn't arrive until 7:30'ish.  I totally forgot about the BT thing.  Only got one lap of swimming done before we had to get out.

Dadgum Andrew, you blistered that race!  Great job!

2011-04-04 5:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
sorry musicman, didn't see that tgober had already sent them..duplicate.
2011-04-04 5:58 PM

Extreme Veteran

got some pics from my wreck, can be viewed here

http://cid-72929b372a9664a9.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/ADPi%202011

Jeff, we've never met but have probably been to about 1/2 dozen of the same races over the past year.. so i started to recognize you then with your post here I knew your name.. (plus confirmation at the Harland farms 5k, ran with my kids).

Next race i'll come up and say hey, i'll be the guy NOT dismounting barefoot from the pedals...

2011-04-04 6:38 PM

User image

Murfreesboro
Great photo's and glad you were'nt seriously hurt.  I did line up with you for the swim.  In fact, I was the one that was probably hitting your feet.  I was trying to draft off you and almost crashed into you a few times when you turned and went under the lane rope.  Sorry about that.  I was 2 bikes back when I saw you wipe-out.  I really felt bad for you!  Wished you would of stayed around after the race.  How are you injuries?
2011-04-04 8:28 PM

Extreme Veteran

no worries man, maybe you should've been ahead of me then.. i'm not exactly the fastest swimmer.. I slowed up a bit the last 50 yds i think, need to work on my sprints a bit more.

Looks like I need to work on my T1 times as well, litle slow, but semi-long run from the pool contributed a little.

Injuries aren't too bad, just road rash really. It's just the location of the road rash, right pinky toe is pretty torn up and have a good one on the ball of my left foot as well amongst other smaller ones..  Abrasions on the hands are just an annoyance. The ones on the knees are just painful when they dry up a little, it'll get better over the next week.  Hope to be back at it in a couple of weeks, at least in the pool in the next week once things have scabbed over and people don't look at me sideways.

What are you doing between now and GJCC? I'm thinking about Memphis in May right now for the OLY. Need to get the bike tuned a little though before hand.

2011-04-05 7:32 AM

FYI, results are now up.

http://racedayevents.net/events/

I'd like to do the GJCC, but that's memorial day when we have the Cotton Row 10k here locally. Debating between the Mach Tenn or Monster, or both. I'd really like to do an olympic one before August but my swimming needs to improve. Was hoping for MOP swimming on my first, think I nailed it being 96/191, haha.

2011-04-05 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3429775

User image

Murfreesboro
dbrawders - 2011-04-04 8:28 PM

no worries man, maybe you should've been ahead of me then.. i'm not exactly the fastest swimmer.. I slowed up a bit the last 50 yds i think, need to work on my sprints a bit more.

Looks like I need to work on my T1 times as well, litle slow, but semi-long run from the pool contributed a little.

Injuries aren't too bad, just road rash really. It's just the location of the road rash, right pinky toe is pretty torn up and have a good one on the ball of my left foot as well amongst other smaller ones..  Abrasions on the hands are just an annoyance. The ones on the knees are just painful when they dry up a little, it'll get better over the next week.  Hope to be back at it in a couple of weeks, at least in the pool in the next week once things have scabbed over and people don't look at me sideways.

What are you doing between now and GJCC? I'm thinking about Memphis in May right now for the OLY. Need to get the bike tuned a little though before hand.

Scraps and abrasions are much better than broken bones.  You were lucky.  The photos on the website of you were also pretty dramatic.  I'll be doing an indoor sprint locally in 2 weeks next.  Since the GJCC is a short event I'm thinking about just doing the Mach Tenn and put that extra money towards a wetsuit.  I need to do some open water swimming in the next few months to get ready.  I like your positive attitude.  Speedy healing!

2011-04-05 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3429563

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

Ow!  Ow!  Ow!!!!!!  Dang man!  Hope you heal up fast and am so glad no broken bones!

2011-04-05 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty

heal up Dbrawders!! I front flipped my bike last year and dislocated my shoulder on impact. I know your pain. However i didn't have photo documentation. that's pretty cool honestly. except the one where it looks like your face is on the ground. NO THANK YOU.

Good job to everybody else. Tgober it was nice to meet you. welcome to the insanity we call triathlon. there is no cure. "Have Fun"

2011-04-05 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3430766

User image

Murfreesboro
CRunner10 - 2011-04-05 12:06 PM

heal up Dbrawders!! I front flipped my bike last year and dislocated my shoulder on impact. I know your pain. However i didn't have photo documentation. that's pretty cool honestly. except the one where it looks like your face is on the ground. NO THANK YOU.

Good job to everybody else. Tgober it was nice to meet you. welcome to the insanity we call triathlon. there is no cure. "Have Fun"

Chis, YOU ROCKED THIS THING!  Congrats on winning your age group and almost pulling off the overall.  I'll need your guidance for sure.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ADPi-athlon: A Unique Triathlon Challenge : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 5