Klein Clark Sports
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 8/16
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:39 just before alarm -- set the coffee maker to making hot water, got a 10 minute meditation in and then off for a quick shower, making flat out with PBJ and banana and eating dry cereal. Had a roommate so was a bit out of usual routine, but not a problem.
Event warmup:

Dynamic stretching and chatting with friends. So nice to have friendly faces out there. For the most part the women in my age group are all very nice and friendly and we chat beforehand. Like a girls club, only we're older, more wrinkles and sometimes grayer. We can still do triathlon though.
Swim
  • 27m 48s
  • 1200 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

We swam east first so sun was low in the sky, but the water felt fantastic. Great temp. Sighted with these two lovely twin palm trees that conveniently lined up with the first buoy. Otherwise, wouldn't have seen the damn thing until I was upon it.

Got caught up in the scrum and drank some lake water which threw me off my stroke, but didn't panic, did a few breast strokes and regained my rhythm. Not sure why my swim speed has gotten slower after the coached sessions last year. Need a new coach?

Got into a nice rhythm with my breathing and was able to sight on both sides leading into the first turn to make sure no one was going to clobber me. I was able to draft a bit off the guys in the wave behind that had caught up. I did see some swim caps from two previous waves as I swam and I always feel badly for them because I know they're struggling, especially when they're on their back or just bobbing in the water. There really weren't any lifeguards or people in kayaks or boards that I saw either.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe I could start a bit more up or out, but this was an interesting start that had us angling out at about 45 toward the buoy and we all kind of lumbered in the water.
Transition 1
  • 04m 19s
Comments:

Wetsuit got caught on my left leg on the timing chip. Sat down and had to take a deep breath to re-group and get it off. Once that was done, I was pretty speedy getting up and out.

? Lather or dip myself in some sort of lubricant, espcially my ankles and feet? I did the body glide..maybe it's time for something else. Oh, I know, have a personal valet to attend to my every whim and need while transitioning. Yep, that would do the trick. You think Clooney is available for that gig?
Bike
  • 1h 17m 24s
  • 24 miles
  • 18.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Got passed by some drafting group, which pi**ed me off. There's not supposed to be drafting, children. Also got passed on the right, with no warning by a couple guys and then finally said something to one who started to argue it was all right to pass on the right. No, dude. It's not. And, if you decide to do it anyway, at least say something so I know you're there, or so I can get my elbow ready. hee-hee. We parted on good terms though.

The wind toward the end was a bit of a factor which limited me as were my legs. Had to talk to them a bit and remind them it was only 24 miles and just pedal and make circles with your legs/feet and not pound down. They seemed to agree but didn't want to keep it at 20 mph.

??

Maybe try and stay in aero more, but I'm just working into that. Also need to adjust my aero pads for my elbows and I need to do something about my straw for the drink. It's not long enough and I can't see in front of me when I reach down for it. I"m afraid I"ll hit a bump and it will poke the roof of my mouth.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Thought about slipping out of my shoes before getting to the dismount but hadn't practiced that since last year so didn't think I'd risk it today. Plus there's a bit of a decline coming into T2. I did loosen my shoes though, which of course made it a bit harder to run in them. I considered stopping to take them off so I could run in sock feet but glad i didn't because where would I have put my shoes while running and rolling my bike?

Practice with the shoes off thing while on the bike.
Run
  • 53m 32s
  • 6 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

No Garmin! Just ran how I felt. I think it served me well. This is the second fastest I've EVER ran a 10K in a stand alone run or tri. Yea me! I was very happy. First lap was easy, second lap I picked it up and just kept my momentum and focus. I did grab my ipod at T2 so I had some tunes. I'm so thankful my son likes metal (can't believe I'm saying that) because Iron Maiden and Judas Priest get me through runs sometimes. Love "Breaking the Law" and "The Trooper."

run 6 seconds faster so I'd have really PR'd the 10K. No complaints though. I was a bit nauseaus so I must have worked hard.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, found water. All they had were tangerines, no oranges and no bananas (left). I just had water and more water and found some trail mix in my warm up pants once I got back to my bike.

Talked to a few people then sat and stretched and waited for friend to finish so we could pack up and back to the hotel to get showered.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not as much bike fitness as I would like right now, but I'm hoping this race will take me up a notch and we can start building toward 70.3 from here.

Event comments:

As always they do a great job on this race. At the finish line, guy said my name and I put my hands up in the air and smiled. Hope they got that one on film. ;) Well run event. They could have had some oranges and more bananas and maybe one more water station on the run, but overall another great event my Klein-Clark sports. My 4th year doing this tri. It was my first...you always remember your first. That one was a sprint tri though.

Had an awesome talk with the woman I drove out with -- a good friend who had also recently lost someone she loved so we were able to share some stories and listen to each other -- very healing.

Last updated: 2011-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:48 | 1200 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: blue seventy
Course: Big triangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:19
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:24 | 24 miles | 18.60 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Big two-loop rectangle. Immediate scenery not much to look at but in the distance the red rocked and speckled mountains and snow covered peaks a bit beyond were gorgeous. Kept reminding myself to look up occasionally and realize how wonderful it is to be alive.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:32 | 06 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Around the lake twice. Uneven sand and asphalt and some big rocks made you pay attention to the ground.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-07 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: Desert Triathlon - Olympic

2011-03-07 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3386702

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Desert Triathlon - Olympic

CON-Flipper-SMACKULATIONS

super super job -- you let yourself fly even with a heavy heart. glad you were able to go out there with a good pal and back.

Ha ha ... the RD of the Bali Tri said he'll teach me to swear in Balinese so this year I can scream obscenities in THREE languages at people while I'm on the bike ... you deal with moe foes so graciously.

sssssmokin' run.

Iron Maiden ROCKS. They just came through several locations in Indonesia on their world tour. I was sick, but I could *hear* their concert from where I live and it's about 5K away!!!

2011-03-07 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix

AWESOME!!  :D  Congrats!  Reading about your race is getting me geared up for mine!

2011-03-07 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3386789

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

Awesome job Lynn!!!!!

Great race report.  Gotta love the metal on a run.  Ozzy, ACDC, and Disturbed top my list. 

2011-03-08 11:58 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Great job, Lynn.  (Pretending I didn't read the part involving earbuds on the course, though...
2011-03-08 2:32 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Congratulations on a well done race!  I think your idea of having a personal valet is supberb and Clooney is a most excellent choice!

WTG!

2011-03-08 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3388465

User image

Master
Vista, CA
tcovert - 2011-03-08 9:58 AM Great job, Lynn.  (Pretending I didn't read the part involving earbuds on the course, though...

Only ipod on the run, which is a closed course and okay with this race -- non USTA.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Desert Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed