Tarwheels
98F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 11m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

OH MY GOODNESS!! Pre-race was so hectic. I get up with plenty of time, and pump up my front bike tire. I go to take the pump off the valve, and the valve separates from the inner tube! I'm like, shit!, and change the tube. Then pump up the rear, careful not to destroy this inner tube. Get everything in the car and get to the ride site. Take the bike off the rack and start to head to registration - and SHIT! my rear tire is flat!! Look closely and realize that the outer tire actually came off the rim right near this spot that I patched up earlier this week. I'm guessing that it leaked/expanded and pushed the tire off or something. Anyway, had to change my other tube!! Fortunately I had two tubes, but that then left me with none for the whole ride.
By this time I'm running late, and most of the 62 and 100 mile riders had already left. I get my packet, got some guy to pin on my number (he brilliantly pinned it through my jersey pockets, effectively sewing them shut...). So I head off.
I had NOTHING to eat or drink before I started, since I planned to eat breakfast at the site before leaving (they had bagels, fruit, etc) and all my time got eaten up changing tires.
Event warmup:

None
Bike
  • 6h 11m 31s
  • 103 miles
  • 16.63 mile/hr
Comments:

There were 5 rest stops at miles 25, 48, 62, 75 and 85.
I took the first 25 miles nice and easy, since I had to eat my breakfast (a clif bar) and drank a lot. Also it was crowded since everyone was getting sorted per how fast they could go. Felt really good after the first 25 miles.
Miles 25-48 were also fine, took things up a notch but still felt pretty good. Stopped only briefly at the 48-mile rest stop, just enough to fill up my camelbak, grab some food and go.
Miles 48-62 were also good. Kept a good pace, felt fine. Played see-saw with a few dudes on tri bikes; they'd speed past me on the downhills and I'd return the favor on the uphills. Speed at mile 62 was ~17.0mph. Mile 62 took us back to the original start point, for the end of the metric century and rest stop.
Left the start/62-mile rest. There was a BRUTAL hill about a mile down the road. Long and steep, and I went up it SLOOOW. Miles 62-72 or so were pretty rough. I only saw ONE person, some dude who just FLEW past me. At this point I was thinking, CRAP this is gonna suck. Then this nice, cute girl comes along and we chat for a bit and ride together to the 75mile rest stop. (She wasn't as cute as my baby!!)
Stop briefly at the 75mile rest, fill up with water, and me and this girl decide to take it the rest of the way together. She really kept me going, it was good. Otherwise I would have slowed down a lot more. We traded off pacing each other and miles 75-85 went pretty quickly.
Took a long rest at the 85-mile rest. I actually wanted to get going earlier, but she was taking her time so I waited. Felt GREAT coming out of this last rest stop, and really cruised fast the next 5-8 miles. Then hit a bit of a wall and struggled over the last few hills. But made it, and didn't feel TOO terrible at the end.
Like last time I rode this far, main problem areas were my lower back, behind, shoulders and neck. Legs really felt fine.
Post race
Warm down:

None, really. Got in the car and headed home. Had a beer and watched TV for a little while.
Was majorly wishing I could have gotten a massage!!

Last updated: 2005-08-13 12:00 AM
Biking
06:11:31 | 103 miles | 16.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Total time, start to finish was 6hr 58min, putting actual speed at 14.8mph.
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly. Hills never stopped. Unlike tbe Duke Liver HIM course, which had sizeable hills but also some significant flat sections, there were not many purely flat sections; I kinda felt like there was always an incline in some direction.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-08-14 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Subject: BikeFest Century Ride

2005-08-14 7:04 PM
in reply to: #224992

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Subject: RE: BikeFest Century Ride
Tom, I am as impressed as I can be. That is a LOOONG way on a bike and it was hot as the dickens out there yesterday. I left alot at the track yesterday I should have been using on my long run this morning. Now I have to make it up tomorrow evening when it will really be hot! Great race report. I generally feel it in the shoulders as well after a long ride. Way to go and thank heavens you did not need a 3rd tube!

Fred
2005-08-14 7:19 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

Awesome ride Tom!!  I would have been in BIG trouble if both tires went flat!!  It's a good thing you know how to change 'em  

2005-08-14 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

(She wasn't as cute as my baby!!)  

Nice save.  LOL! 

Incredible ride.  Your accomplishments are tremendously inspiring.  It blows my mind how far this really is.  Way to survive a brutal day with the heat.  Very glad you didn't flat.  LOL!  Congratulations.

2005-08-14 9:53 PM
in reply to: #225064

User image

Expert
WA
jkbostic - 2005-08-14 5:45 PM

(She wasn't as cute as my baby!!)

Nice save. LOL!

oh, he's still so in trouble!!  he said they were going out on a date later, and forgot to say in his report he wished he had a massage BY HER!    no core workouts next time i see him, the cad.  hahaha.  just kidding babe, i know you love me and i love you too.  i'm proud of you.
2005-08-15 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Super job, Tom!  Especially after having to start with nothing in the tank!  If we get in trouble riding the DLC 1/2 course next weekend, Jeff and I will know who to send off for provisions. 

I'm very impressed! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BikeFest Century Ride Rss Feed