Pirhana Sports
98F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 13s
Overall Rank = 75/191
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

stayed at parent's house in MD, woke up at 3:45am, shower, pb and banana sandwich, coffee, and water on the way to Delaware. Half of a Cliff Bar before the race.
Event warmup:

standing around in the heat
Swim
  • 15m 12s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim felt long and water was HOT. I definetly prefer bay OWS as oppossed to the pond. It was a bit "ick".

Took me forever to settle into a rhythm. I never felt quite comfortable.

What would you do differently?:

Swim faster, find my rhythm earlier
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Bike
  • 1h 01m 3s
  • 19.5 miles
  • 19.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, I thought it went pretty well for me. The best MPH rate I have ever biked.

Had an amusing back and forth with a fellow racer. He would pass me, I would pass him, etc for the entire bike segment. I even transitioned to the run at the same time as him, but lost him at my first walk break.

Something with my drinking was off (see run) which effected the rest of my race, but I am not sure what to do for next time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

This was about average for my T2 times.
Run
  • 30m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, it pretty much sucked. I had a cramp in my side during the entire race, which seriously started bothering me in the run. I had to stop and walk twice (in addition to the 2 walk breaks at the water station). I tried to keep the walk breaks short. Something was off with my hydration... I probably drank too much during the race and not enough in prep for the race. Who knows?

I picked up another running buddy. Someone encouraged me to run during my first walk break, so when I started running and caught up with him walking a short while later the 2 of us started running together.

My breathing was fine (slowish and steady) during the entire race, so it was a shame that I could not conquer my body (muscle wise and that cramp). I finally started to feel better with about 0.5 miles left to go, so I finished strong.

I need to do more bricks before my next race and figure out the hydration thing.
Post race
Warm down:

drank water, gatorade and stretched a little
then cool down ride to the car

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Either I drank too much or too little. Maybe I drank too much during the race, but was still dehydrated? Not sure, but I need to fix something.

I have only been training for 2 weeks after taking basically three weeks off from "real" training. But, this race was just a warm-up/practice for my "A" race in September.

Event comments:

Alright, so I got weighed in on Saturday because if you race in the USACFRF National Sprint Championship you can still compete in your age group. Unfortunately, I did not realize there were also seperate Clyde/Athena categories for the race. Apparently, I had signed up for Athena and not the USACFRF Championship. This pulled me out of my age group for the race, which was not my intention. I did get second in Athena and would have gotten second in the USACFRF. But, I also would have gotten 3rd in my AG. I am a bit disappointed, but oh well, I met my larger personal goals, so that is what is important.

Last updated: 2005-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:12 | 880 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 0/191
Performance: Average
Suit: TYR trisuit
Course: Beach start, rectangular (well, close enough) course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:03 | 19.5 miles | 19.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/10
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Basically flat with few turns here and there. Little shade.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:17 | 03.1 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/10
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back run in the wooded (thank goodness) park.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-08-15 1:15 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Subject: Lums Pond Triathlon

2005-08-15 1:32 PM
in reply to: #225603

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Lums Pond Triathlon

Great race!  Hey, you finished 2nd (or 3rd or whatever)--nothing to be disappointed about there!  And it was HOT yesterday, so that may have played a big part in your run even if you felt like you were drinking a lot.

BTW, was the water really 88 degrees!?!  Yikes!

2005-08-15 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Congrats! 3rd in your AG is great (even if it wasn't officially recognized)! I know exactly what you mean about the cramp too - I had one all through the run. It was so hot!
2005-08-15 7:08 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
GREAT RACE!  Awesome bike time.  I'll bet your were just a bit dehydrated to start, so you may have felt like your were drinking alot, but really not enough.  My guess anyway, as being dehydrated can lead to side cramps.  So, get that dialed in and you'll be looking at being the bride at your next one!!  Good for you
2005-08-15 8:10 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Great race. At least you have the race results to prove you were 2nd in the USACFRF. National Runner Up, that's awesome, I wish I could get in the top half of my age group.
2005-08-16 11:19 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Great race Allyson.  Did you get some cool hardware for your 2nd place?

That's warm water.  Yikes.  I would think it would be difficult to swim.  Hey nice bike average too.

Congratulations,

Jen

2005-08-16 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port

Nice race, Allison.  Sorry, I didn't run into you.  I did meet Dtraining.  In 4 years of doing tri's, those were the worst conditions I have ever competed in. I too had some problems on the run with side stitches.  I don't know if I drank too much or too little. 

Bryan 

2005-08-16 1:38 PM
in reply to: #226424

New Jersey

I will agree with your assesment. Those were some of the worst conditons I have raced a Tri in.  I have run in hotter weather, but not all three events.  At least the run was shaded, though by that time, I was looking just to finish up and cool down. Just for fun, some ?!%&$# (fill in you favorite word), racked his bike on the end of my rack  (where I had been the first one on the end), after I left for the swim, restricting access to my transition area.  Then, rather than racking his bike in T2, he proceded  to lean his bike agaist the end of the rack.  I was looking to see if he got a penalty in the results, but could not find the number in there anywhere.  Wonder if he got DQ'ed......

Slower than U

2005-08-16 2:35 PM
in reply to: #226542

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Slower than U - 2005-08-16 1:38 PM

Just for fun, some ?!%&$# (fill in you favorite word), racked his bike on the end of my rack  (where I had been the first one on the end), after I left for the swim, restricting access to my transition area.  Then, rather than racking his bike in T2, he proceded  to lean his bike agaist the end of the rack.  I was looking to see if he got a penalty in the results, but could not find the number in there anywhere.  Wonder if he got DQ'ed......

Slower than U

Seriously!?!  What is the policy on that?  I am guessing the guy came late and just threw his bike wherever.  Definitely does not seem considerate.  Is there some sort of consequence for that?  I'll be looking for your RR.

Edited by AlBearAngel 2005-08-16 2:48 PM
2005-08-16 2:46 PM
in reply to: #226604

New Jersey

Yes seriously.  I would have thought that with the number of USAT officals milling about the transition area that they woudl have caught that.  I think he sould have received a time penealty.

2005-08-16 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Nice race.
I wish we could have split the water temps in our races and it would have been bearable!
Great bike ride.
Congrats on 2nd.

Dan

2005-08-16 4:19 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO

Way to go, girl!  A great boost before your September race (minus swimming in bath water, YUCK).  Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lums Pond Triathlon Rss Feed