Tri BC
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 34s
Overall Rank = 51/66
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up had oatmeal and coffee, packed the car, and off to the race! Went straight to transition, looked around and there was Dan - Crazy Pop. I walked over and introduced myself and decided to set up right next to him. Dan was awesome, he helped me figure out where to put the race number on my bike as I'm quite limited with such a small frame (47cm). It worked out wonderfully and the race number didn't bother me a bit. Thanks Dan! Note to self for next year...when Dan convinces me to enter a race...check out the route first - lol!
Event warmup:

Walked around and chatted with friends. It really would have helped to go for a swim and get used to the water but hind sight is 20/20. I just wasn't in the proper head space...I just didn't feel like racing

Swim
  • 24m 9s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start was nasty - I really should have put my head in the water and swam a few strokes. The water was ice cold!!! I have done some scuba diving in that area but in a dry suit not some thin skimpy wetsuit! So I placed my face in the water and started to hyperventilate - it was freezing and it was so hard to catch my breath!!! I was bumped into, swam over, kicked, hit..you name it - it was ugly and sadly I could not find anyone to draft off. My hands and feet were numb. I was all over the place swimming past the bouy, zig zagging - my swim was just horrible and I was all over the place. I just wanted it to be over from the moment I started.

The race director admitted that the swim was further than 750m to compensate for last years course which was too short. He didn't say what the distance was though...
What would you do differently?:

Jump in and do a warm up!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Swim time includes transition time. I didn't even notice the run up the beach, over the logs and onto the gravel path because my feet were so numb. It was hard to get my hands working to remove the cap and googles. I would have to say this transition was a success though because I DIDN'T wipe out this time...good thing - the gravel would have torn my suit. I found out after the race that I cut my foot during transition and from the race reviews lots of other people did as well. I just wasn't into racing and I was so angry with the swim that I had a bad - I don't care attitude for the rest of the course.
Bike
  • 43m 52s
  • 20 kms
  • 27.36 km/hr
Comments:

I still have the problem of not wanting to pass anyone incase they end up passing me again - really need to get over that because I just get frustrated when I have to break. The volunteers did not have shirts on and looked like spectators so it was hard to tell who they were until they started yelling at you to turn around. My gears were slipping which really makes me angry because my bike was just in for a tune up GRRRRRR. It doesn't help that my hands were still frozen from the swim either. I honestly was not having fun, I couldn't wait for this race to end.

Ride the course ahead of time so I know where to be on the rough patches of the road
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I'm glad I don't know how to take my feet out of my shoes before I dismount because I would have had to run on gravel and that would not have been fun. Sometimes it works in your favour to be a beginner. Transition time is included with the run. Easy transition - hung up my bike, took off helmet, took off bike shoes, put on socks and runners, put on race belt, took a gel and started the run.

Nothing
Run
  • 37m 37s
  • 5.8 kms
  • 06m 29s  min/km
Comments:

This is my worst 5k time to date - my very first 5k time was better than this! The website from the race states that this course was well over 5K which doesn't surprise me. It was challenging! When I started the run my feet were still frozen from the swim - it was crazy! I walked the steep trail hill but everyone else I saw did as well.

Not enter this race - lol! Practice running the route.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, had a bagel, banana and some water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to be in a better head space

Event comments:

Very unorganized...they were mixing up the results when they handed out the awards. The online registration prices were incorrect. The door prizes were pretty bad - old race t-shirts and sweatshirts all the way back to 2000. Race package had a water bottle and t-shirt. I would not do this race again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:09 | 1000 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/66
Performance: Bad
Suit: Orca S1 Speedsuit - not so speedy
Course: Updated 750 to 1000 for swim. It was a dark and foggy morning (ok it wasn't dark but it sounded good in the race report) and the race director announced that if the fog did not lift in half an hour then we would all be doing the duathlon instead. The fog was so thick the kayakers could not see the bright orange bouys and from the shore all you could see was fog. A 1/2 hour later the Gods must have been listening because it was clear as could be. There was gravel leading to beach with large beach logs. Below the water were large rocks that you had to look out for. The course was a triangle out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:52 | 20 kms | 27.36 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 2 loops to the Marina and back. This route had more hills then I thought - it's quite different driving and biking. One of the turn around areas was half way down a hill and it came quick so many people overshot the turn around point. There were segments of the road which had potholes and really rough patches that just threw you from your aerobars so you had to be very aware.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:37 | 05.8 kms | 06m 29s  min/km
Performance: Bad
Course: Updated 5k to 5.8k Run down the beach, down some concrete steps, jump over the concrete ledge, over beach logs, 200m run in the sand to a steep trail with a sign that says, Steep hill, cyclists dismount. Then off of the trail to run up another hill and down a hill, turn around and run back up the hill and around and do some more hills and then start all over again down the beach....
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2005-08-15 11:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Subject: Cadboro Bay Triathlon

2005-08-16 9:11 AM
in reply to: #226067

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Cadboro Bay Triathlon
Sounds like you had the same experiance as me.
Did they ever have problems at that award ceremony eh?
They brought up the top 3 and they were standing around waiting for medals or something.
Maybe next year they should have a podium.
Good work though. I am waiting to here the official lenghts of the swim and run.

Hope you heal quickly!

Dan
2005-08-16 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Congratulations for finishing that one Carolyn!

They made the swim longer to compensate for last year's swim?!?  That's crazy.  So next year are they going to make it short again?

Thanks for the warning about this race.  There did seem to be some good things that came out of it though.  You got to meet Dan, your bike average was awesome (on a challenging course) and you'll really appreciate your next race.  Speaking of... what are you doing on September 18th?  Are you interested in doing the Pacific Spirit Tri at UBC?

Carolyn, overall I think that you had a pretty good race.  Make sure you update your race report with the correct distances when you know them.

Jen

2005-08-16 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

It really sounds like it was an acheivement just to finish the race!  Just think your next race will be soo much easier now that you survived that race.

There is nothing worse then really cold water and then not warming up afterwards my last race of the season was exactly like that.  But I know that i survived that one so I'm looking forward the next race coz its just got to be easier!

I hope you foot is healing up!

2005-08-16 9:45 PM

User image

Sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience.. but thanks for sharing. I was looking at doing this race next year, and will definitely think twice about doing it now! Congrats on completeing it, though.. it sounds like it was quite a challenge.

Edited by Vaiza 2005-08-16 9:46 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cadboro Bay Triathlon Rss Feed