Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-03-23 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3409752

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
Subject: RE: Attacked by Pit Bull

The ignorance in this thread is over the top.  It's a good thing I'm in a decent mood today otherwise I'd have a few choice words with said ignorant individuals and probably get banned for it.Undecided

And to the insurance guy...you forgot to mention that the higher ups make sure they get their overinflated salaries and fat bonuses every year  why rates go up.  I rape the insurance companies as often as I can, as they have raped me all my life.  I call it "a little give and take".

2011-03-23 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3410289

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

EKH - 2011-03-23 6:28 PM The dog has been picked up and put in a 10 day isolation. If I have my way the dog will be put down. Without a doubt it is the owners fault for raising the dog this way but as much as I love dogs this dog is a menace to society.

d00d, I'm sorry this happened to you...it's an unfortunate event. I agree that owners have responsibilities when they have dogs. They should be held liable, lawfully and financially, for any agressive actions dogs may take due to negligence...

That being said, I know you're angry, but I doubt that statement has any validity. I've never seen an owner, sitting outside with his dog, ordering the dog to sic cyclists/runners as they rode/ran by. This is instinctive behavior that is more than likely not taught...Dogs have been doing this forever.

I hope you heal quickly...and since the dog displayed agressive behavior and physically attacked you, it should be put down.

Good luck!

2011-03-23 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3410915

User image

Central Oregon
SHLD2005 - 2011-03-23 12:03 PM

jillian_o - 2011-03-23 1:52 PM After 7 potentially fatal close calls with ONLY pit bulls(no other dog breed) in the past 6 months, I have to agree with everything Rogillio is saying, I have found a lot of info on www.dogsbite.org about what these beasts are capable of.

I believe everyone is welcome to their own opinions and therefore allowed to like or dislike pit bulls, but I'm sorry but this website is driving me crazy...  It's written by a woman that was bitten by a pit bull in 2007 and she puts up everything and anything she possibly can against pit bulls.  I don't believe half of her 'statistics'...  reference prior post with links to CDC and Humane Society.  Oh, and this too... it's just a blog but kind of how I feel about it...    http://btoellner.typepad.com/kcdogblog/2010/03/the-truth-behind-dogsbiteorg.html 
(google it and you'll find a lot of others with the same type of opinions...)

Ok, I read the blog... is there a website you would recommend for parents with pets or people who have pets and have children visit their home that has good safety recommendations?

2011-03-23 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3410892

jillian_o - 2011-03-23 2:52 PM After 7 potentially fatal close calls with ONLY pit bulls(no other dog breed) in the past 6 months, I have to agree with everything Rogillio is saying, I have found a lot of info on www.dogsbite.org about what these beasts are capable of.

Do you ride the same route where you have the problem?  I know I ride the same routes all of the time.  Could it be that it is one or two dogs that you are constantly have a problem with?  Earlier you said you ride with a gun, have you fired at any of these "beasts"?  I would think that if I had been attacked 7 times the dog would no longer be a problem.

2011-03-23 2:26 PM

User image

Colorado

Sorry this happened to you!  Heal quickly!  And THANK YOU for getting this dog locked up.  Sounds like the poor thing was raised to act this way (many of that breed are) and now he will likely get put down for belonging to the wrong family, but you probably saved several people from enduring the same thing you did.  His owners make me sick !

2011-03-23 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Sooo....after he bit you, did he lick his butt to get the atste out of his mouth??? Laughing

J/K, man, hope you "Heel" soon!!! I know you're feeling ruff right now. Getting bit while riding is a bunch of "bull!"

( Sorry just trying to cheer you up, I know this truly sucks!!!)

2011-03-23 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3410976

User image

Expert
Savannah
ditchdoc - 2011-03-23 3:30 PM

Sooo....after he bit you, did he lick his butt to get the atste out of his mouth??? Laughing

J/K, man, hope you "Heel" soon!!! I know you're feeling ruff right now. Getting bit while riding is a bunch of "bull!"

( Sorry just trying to cheer you up, I know this truly sucks!!!)

Aye...just the thought of it puts me it the pits!

2011-03-23 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3410919

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
FoggyGoggles - 2011-03-23 1:04 PM
Aarondb4 - 2011-03-23 11:50 AM
FoggyGoggles - 2011-03-23 8:59 AM

vabeachnut1 - 2011-03-22 11:16 PM Sue the owners home owners insurance company, shoot the dog. WTF, shoot the owners as well.

Fixed...

Sorry to hear this OP. Really annoys me that this dog has a history of this and is still alive and off-leash. Complete negligence on the owners behalf and they should have charges against them. Filing that police report will help you in civil court. Accept nothing less than the cost of your dream bike!

Sorry to the OP and I hope the recovery goes well. I have broken a dogs nose before for chasing me. If a pit chased me he would get a .45 slug to the face in a big hurry.

But I feel I should respond to the above posts and posts like it. Yes, I am an insurance agent (hate if you will ). Yes your medical expenses, time off work, any money you are out should definitely be compensated. But when people advocate that you sue the hell out of the insurance company so you can get a new bike they are really saying, "hey, sue the hell out of the rest of us". Insurance companies don't have a magic pot of gold they pay everything out of. They take the money that we all pay in to pay out claims.

So if a person advocates suing an insurance company for a new shiny dream bike, they have no room to complain when their own homeowners insurance rate goes up.

I personally would go with shoot the dog and the owners.

My apologies to you Aaron, but my comment about the dream bike was certainly said in jest. Perhaps I should have used the sarcasm font. However, I do believe that the right thing to do is include the homeowners insurance company in any legal complaint the OP sets forth. I'm sure the lawyer involved would agree.

Back to the drama... er, thread.

No apologies necessary, I didn't take it personally or anything and yes the homeowners should definitely kick in unless there is a dog exclusion which is often the case these days.

Was just throwing out a general be careful when suing because it comes back eventually. The amount of money required to settle an auto accident in the state of Idaho was gone up 60% in the last five years. That money has to come from somewhere and it generally comes from people paying premiums.

2011-03-23 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3410922

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
RVachon - 2011-03-23 1:06 PM

The ignorance in this thread is over the top.  It's a good thing I'm in a decent mood today otherwise I'd have a few choice words with said ignorant individuals and probably get banned for it.Undecided

And to the insurance guy...you forgot to mention that the higher ups make sure they get their overinflated salaries and fat bonuses every year  why rates go up.  I rape the insurance companies as often as I can, as they have raped me all my life.  I call it "a little give and take".

LOL irony = one paragraph about how ignorant everyone is, and another paragraph full of ignorance.

2011-03-23 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3410872

User image

Pro
Houston

BigDH - 2011-03-23 2:40 PM  is that Halt stuff a big bottle, how do you carry it.?

It is small and easily fits in my hand a bit bigger than standard mace and the stuff that comes out is orange so you can see where it is going - a strong stream.

When I run from home I wear a specific running skirt that has side pockets in the under shorts. The can has a small clip on it and I clip it to my shorts so I can get at it easily. When I hear a dog or am running past a home I know has dogs (no other way to get out of my neighborhood) I hold it in my hand. Your finger can only go one way so you know it is facing the right direction. This product is the best $5 I ever spent, I feel so much safer having it.

2011-03-23 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3410835

User image

Expert
Portland
Aarondb4 - 2011-03-23 1:21 PM
menglo - 2011-03-23 12:05 PM

Very sorry to hear about the attack, the dogs aggressive history proves that the owners are just plain ignorant.  I hope you heal fast and sue for as much as you can get.  See if there is anyway you can keep these people from owning another dog (should this dog be put down) as they do not deserve to own a dog.

I would like to address the "pits are an awful breed".  Pits ARE great dogs when trained properly... in fact ANY dog is a GREAT dog when trained properly (and exercised properly which is often forgotten... you have to WALK YOUR DOGS PEOPLE!  If you don't they will use the energy that is pent up on other things, such as chasing bikers/people).  Pits are VERY powerful dogs and dog fighting has given them this terrible reputation, people want them because of their negative conotation and raise them thusly.  HOWEVER you can do that with any dog, the thing that makes pits particularly dangerous is their strength.

Cesar Millan (One of the most sought after dog behavioral experts) has pits as his personal dogs (all adopted).  He brings them in to train other dogs.  The other dogs that he is usually dealing with are labs, chihuahuas, and other small breeds of dogs.  I'd stretch to say that 80% of the cases are a lack of exercise for the dog.

Hate the owners, not the dog breed.  There is no such thing as an "aggressive dog breed" just dogs that are raised to be aggressive.

Sorry but you contradict yourself big time in your last sentence. You state that pitbulls are not agressive if trained correctly. Then you say there is no such thing as an agressive dog, just a dog that is raised to be agressive. So if as you say the only dogs who are agressive are those who are generally ignored and not trained by their owners, how do they become agressive if the only way a dog is agressive is if they are taught to be agressive? It would seem that perhaps, with no training, some tends have a tendency to be agressive all on their own.

I might believe that pit bulls can be trained and can probably be a decent dog to have, but they REQUIRE that training. My sister has a dog who has never be trained or told to do anything, she does whatever she wants. The dog is a golden retreiver and has never and I would almost gaurantee will never bite anyone, and has never shown any sort of agression toward man or fellow beast. 

Stats show time and time again that pits attack more than other dogs. Yes they can be trained to behave, but statistically speaking they are more agressive than a golden retriever.

Sorry, I don't want to start an argument, just trying to debunk some common myths.  By "raised to be aggressive" this can mean being neglected, not walked, beaten, not properly disiplined.  short story:

My aunt and uncle had 2 giant schnauzers when I was growing up.  Thea and Max.  Giant Schnauzers are known for being VERY protective (to the point of being violent) and Thea was just that.  She was not properly disciplined when she was a puppy.  so she would become EXTREMELY aggressive when people would come to the house.  On the other hand, Max was the biggest sweety in the world.  When my cousin had their baby, the baby would crawl all over max, you could do ANYTHING to him and he would not care.  Max was scolded for being aggressive towars people entering "his" space. 

I feel like not 100% of the story is given all the time in these dog "attack" stories.  I wouldn't trust any young child around a dog unsupervised, because, as someone had stated above, they won't pick up on the signs of agression from the dog. 

*****DISCLAIMER!!!! I am by NO means saying a child deserves to be bitten by a dog! A child should never have to suffer from something they don't understand.  Dog attacks are AWFUL!*****

but it is VERY VERY rare that a dog will attack when unprovoked (and those few times are when they have been "trained" to do so).  Meaning that the child prabably did something the dog didn't like, pull on their ears, invade their personal space, etc.  Pits are powerful dogs, so they would do lots of damage.  Remember, animals default to "I'm more afraid of you than you are of me".  Dogs attack not because they are aggressive, they attack because they are unsure of what to do, and seeing as they were not taught otherwise, they are trying to "protect their family".  Wouldn't you do the same if someone was coming into your territory and threatening you?

We work with our dog Nadie (alaskan husky) CONSTANTLY to ensure this will never happen when she is around children.  We pull on her tail, fur, ears, stick our faces in hers, and if she EVER shows aggression towards the action, we quickly correct it.  I understand this is a very specific case and not all dog owners are like this, but what some have said is true, many people who have dogs should not have them.

I feel awful for the dog in this situation as they really didn't "know" what they were doing and it is going to suffer because of the owners ignorance.  But I feel even WORSE for EKH as this is putting him out of comission for some time, and I fear for his daughter's safety.

2011-03-23 3:22 PM

Anybody can quote the statistics, but they're skewed by the fact that a lot of terrible dog owners raise pit bulls to be aggressive.  Did you ever think that the reason more pit bulls than weiner dogs attack people is that a lot of bad people train pit bulls to do that, but nobody in their right mind would try to train a weiner dog to attack?  Honestly...the most aggressive dog I've EVER seen was a former neighbor's chihuahua.  That little rodent attacked me twice and attacked my dogs multiple times.  The reason there was never any damage is that both of my dogs were literally 5x the size of the stupid chinchilla posing as a dog.

I agree with the people that say it's on the owners.  Are pit bulls genetically disposed to be a little aggressive...yes, but proper training changes that.  My two sheepdogs don't act on a herding instinct anymore.  My old roommate's foxhound was trained to not take off after anything, and therefore never did.  My mother in law has a husky that wouldn't know what to do if you strapped a sled to her.

All I know is that when my dog was an itty bitty puppy (under 5lbs) his favorite playing companion was my neighbor's pure bred pit bull, who would let the silly little puppy jump all over him and chase him around and never once showed any aggression, while the other neighbor's chihuahua wanted nothing more than to attack any living creature in sight.

Think of it this way... a bad owner with a huge dog is like a bad guy with a gun.  A bad owner with a little dog is like a bad guy with a butterknife.  The only reason the gun shoots you is because the bad guy tells it to.

2011-03-23 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3410946

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
begreen333 - 2011-03-23 3:15 PM

jillian_o - 2011-03-23 2:52 PM After 7 potentially fatal close calls with ONLY pit bulls(no other dog breed) in the past 6 months, I have to agree with everything Rogillio is saying, I have found a lot of info on www.dogsbite.org about what these beasts are capable of.

Do you ride the same route where you have the problem?  I know I ride the same routes all of the time.  Could it be that it is one or two dogs that you are constantly have a problem with?  Earlier you said you ride with a gun, have you fired at any of these "beasts"?  I would think that if I had been attacked 7 times the dog would no longer be a problem.

3 of them live in my neighborhood, and we went through the police first and they did nothing. I bought the gun, but I no longer run in my neighborhood because I don't want to use the gun, since the owners are crazy, if I was to shoot their dogs, they might come over to my house and shoot my dogs, or us.

The other 4 run ins were on Saturday when I was at a supported century ride event. I figured since it was "supported" I wouldn't need to bring my gun, plus I didn't want to make other riders feel uneasy, so I left it at home. Big mistake, I was alone out in the country for the ride, and could have been mauled.

So yes, it was 7 different dogs, and not where I always ride. I usually ride on the Army post, where pit bulls are banned. I have not fired at any dogs yet, but I would if one latched on to any part of my body.

2011-03-23 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3411073

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
JonnyRingo84 - 2011-03-23 4:22 PM

Think of it this way... a bad owner with a huge dog is like a bad guy with a gun.  A bad owner with a little dog is like a bad guy with a butterknife.  The only reason the gun shoots you is because the bad guy tells it to.

Dude, seriously? This is pretzel logic.

2011-03-23 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3411055

User image

Champion
Calgary
KeriKadi - 2011-03-23 2:15 PM

BigDH - 2011-03-23 2:40 PM  is that Halt stuff a big bottle, how do you carry it.?

It is small and easily fits in my hand a bit bigger than standard mace and the stuff that comes out is orange so you can see where it is going - a strong stream.

When I run from home I wear a specific running skirt that has side pockets in the under shorts. The can has a small clip on it and I clip it to my shorts so I can get at it easily. When I hear a dog or am running past a home I know has dogs (no other way to get out of my neighborhood) I hold it in my hand. Your finger can only go one way so you know it is facing the right direction. This product is the best $5 I ever spent, I feel so much safer having it.

I probably won't be getting it but good to know it is out there.

Have you used it, are you confident that it would work in the face of a charging dog.

Whenever I see I dog I always try to make sure I have an angle at it so that if it makes a move I can make a move and kick it in the head. Now, I have never had a dog charge me (that wasn't chained) but this is what goes through my head.
2011-03-23 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3411114

User image

Pro
Houston
BigDH - 2011-03-23 3:38 PM
KeriKadi - 2011-03-23 2:15 PM

I probably won't be getting it but good to know it is out there. Have you used it, are you confident that it would work in the face of a charging dog. Whenever I see I dog I always try to make sure I have an angle at it so that if it makes a move I can make a move and kick it in the head. Now, I have never had a dog charge me (that wasn't chained) but this is what goes through my head.

I got it after that pitt bull cornered me a couple of months ago. Have not had to use it but I sprayed it on the ground so I would know what to expect. The thing is the night the dog came at me I was jogging along and didn't even see it until it was charging at me, it had come out of its yard and crossed the street. I yelled stop and heel and help but nothing worked. I stood there for minutes, no owners dog barking & growling. I finally had to start walking away and it followed me for a while before going back home.

The thing I worry about with a pitt is if I kicked it they are so muscular and short I don't think I could move it and would only pi$$ it off. My hope is the Halt would give me enough time to get away from the situation.

Edited by KeriKadi 2011-03-23 3:45 PM

2011-03-23 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
in the land of hills

To the OP, I am so sorry this happened but thank you for sharing your story. I am terrified to get out on the roads mostly due to traffic and with this warmer weather, I  have been contemplating just how much outdoor riding I am willing to try this season ( I started late summer ’10). This has me seriously reconsidering. I actually enjoy the trainer (yes weirdo  ) and expect now that I will keep the outdoor rides to long group rides on the weekends and will be taking some sort of defense mechanism. Thank you for bringing awareness to all newbies!  I truly hope you get compensation for this!

On a side note, I was attacked (unprovoked) at age 2, nearly lost my right eye…by the FAMILY dog who was a LAB. My parents in no way shape or form raised this dog to be aggressive. From what I understand, he did not like children and my attack was the last straw for my parents, he was put down that day. It can happen with any breed and while most often it occurs with ignorant and/or lazy owners, it is not always the case.

2011-03-23 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3411104

User image

mrbbrad - 2011-03-23 10:34 AM
JonnyRingo84 - 2011-03-23 4:22 PM

These pretzels are making me thirsty

2011-03-23 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3411122

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

" I yelled stop and heel and help but nothing worked."

The only problem with the "heel" command is that is usually what you say if you want them to walk with you.  In other words, "get on my heel".  I usually will yell "sit", "no", or "down"!  As loud as I can, and freeze.  That puts me in a better position to fight if I have to.  Running, unless you are sure you can outrun the critter, is not a great idea imo.  

2011-03-23 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3411152

User image

Champion
Alabama
rsmoylan - 2011-03-23 3:54 PM

" I yelled stop and heel and help but nothing worked."

The only problem with the "heel" command is that is usually what you say if you want them to walk with you.  In other words, "get on my heel".  I usually will yell "sit", "no", or "down"!  As loud as I can, and freeze.  That puts me in a better position to fight if I have to.  Running, unless you are sure you can outrun the critter, is not a great idea imo.  

I usually say, "You want some of me?!  C'mon!  I dare you!"  I don't fear dogs.  I might get bit but I'd kill him with my bare hands.  I outweigh even big dogs by 200+ lbs and figure a well placed kick will break 3 or 4 ribs.  I've stared down many a dog.  Biking by them is difficult as we are at a definate disadvantate.

2011-03-23 4:10 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Horrible!!!! Sue the owners. The dog bit you. They didn't try to stop it.

Otherwise, I always squirt water from my water bottle, or my mouth when a dog comes along. It's easy to get to, and it provides a diversion for the dog. It redirects their attention when they get water in their face.

2011-03-23 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3411104

Saying that a large dog in the hands of a dangerous person is more dangerous than a small dog in the hands of a dangerous person is illogical.  My point is that any dog can be made vicious...it's just that nobody give a flying crap about a vicious hamster.

2011-03-23 4:24 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

To OP- Sorry about your encounter & I hope outcomes are good (medical, animal control, expenses (inc. bike damage) paid, etc., etc.).  I've been bit before (though not while riding) & it's no fun.  Fortunate you were not injured more severely.  Heal quickly!

I view ALL dogs as potentially can be dangerous to riders, even with playful behavior.  Several years ago a good friend of mine suffered serious injuries (inc. broken pelvis) in a crash caused by a small dog running into the peloton.  Dog was not being aggressive but ran towards the bikes & got caught under a wheel.  Heck- this kind of thing even happened in the TdF a few years ago (though neither dog nor rider injured in that one).

IMHO- The aggressive dog is a different matter.  When I've been threatened by a dog while riding, running, or whatever, I never bother to ask if it's a pit bull.  I do NOT believe breed makes a big difference at that point since any large dog can do major damage in an attack.  And mis-ID's happen a lot.  A significant dog attack/biting happened at a cycling event I rode a few years ago.  The large dog was initially ID'ed as chow-lab mix but by the end of the afternoon riders were saying it was a pit bull.  Dog was impounded that day by local sheriff's dept & it was chow-lab mix.

Tough to know what to do in a dog encounter.  A playful or only semi-aggressive dog can often be distracted by shouting (e.g. NO or GO HOME).  Sometimes a squirt in the face with your water bottle can make dog slow/stop.  More than once I have unclipped & popped a chasing dog on the nose with my cleat, although that requires some practice, speed, &  fairly smooth road.  Sprinting away is judgment call (your ability, conditions (uphill, into wind??), dog's speed).  If you know you cannot escape & have sufficient time, dismounting & putting your bike between you & the animal can work.  Grabbing your bike by the fork & seatstay (seat towards you) points the chainrings at the dog.  FWIW- I am not a fan of HALT.  While it works sometimes it is a relatively weak chemical formulation & (like all sprays) is blown by wind- sometimes even back at you

Cyclists carrying a pistol for dog protection is an idea over 100yrs old (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velo-dog).  But riding armed is obviously not a perfect solution.  Many places this is illegal, and even where legal shooting the gun may have ramifications (legal & otherwise) that make dog bite seem like the lesser evil.  Accurately shooting a pistol is not like TV or movies.  Besides having the restraint to know when NOT to shoot, it takes MUCH practice & skill to hit moving target like attacking dog.  You are responsible for every round fired wherever it happens to go, and many "self-defense" shootings have injured an innocent bystander or even the shooter.  And many handgun rounds will NOT instantly stop an attacking dog, as law enforcement officers have often discovered when they try to dispatch an attacking hound.

IMHO- best we all can do is report aggressive animals to local authorities & press for action.  Otherwise it's best to avoid their known locations if possible. 

(D@mn that got to be a long post....)

2011-03-23 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3411193

User image

Champion
Calgary
JonnyRingo84 - 2011-03-23 3:16 PM

Saying that a large dog in the hands of a dangerous person is more dangerous than a small dog in the hands of a dangerous person is illogical.  My point is that any dog can be made vicious...it's just that nobody give a flying crap about a vicious hamster.

oh my.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-VxNSM15fI
2011-03-23 4:33 PM

Veteran

Wow. . .that sucks.  I hope you fully recover soon.

My Rhodesian Ridgeback as never been outside of a fenced area off-leash.  I wish I could let her off, but I'm always too nervous her prey-drive would take over and she'd bolt after a squirrel or cat and end up in front of a car.  She does associate bikes with my wife and I though and wants to run with them. . .but I would hope she wouldn't act agressive towards a biker.

To address the issue of APBTs being kind and gentle dogs unless they're trained to attack. . .stop being naive.  Yes unsavory people are generally attracted to that type of dog, but our RR had a chunk of her ear bitten off by one that had a decent owner.  Decent owner + APBT = my > 1 year old pup having a chunk of her ear torn off.  Judging by this thread, it's all too common.  (Not to mention I was chased by two pitbulls when I was a kid until my lab came to the rescue and stood her ground until they wandered off.)

What really sucks is that someone showed the type of turds that seem to love APBT's what a Rhodesian Ridgeback is and now they're starting to cross them with pits.  I can just imagine their thought process, "Wow!  My sick pit plus a dog that "kills" lions?!?  Awesome!!"  It's something that is really worrying responsible Ridgeback owners and especially breeders.  More and more RR/APBT crosses are showing up in rescues especially in the south.  *sigh*

I believe someone in this thread spoke of carrying a gun while riding their bike.  WTF???  This isn't the wild west.  Annie Oakley couldn't hit a white whale on a black background while riding a tri bike away from a pitbull.  You should probably leave your piece at home before you shoot yourself or someone else in the area.  At least if you mace yourself of someone else in the process it'll wear off.  Bullets don't.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Attacked by Pit Bull Rss Feed  

of 5