General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Coaching "Crisis": Your Opinions on US "coach" credibility. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

The Coaching "Crisis": Your Opinions on US "coach" credibility.
OptionResults
Triathlon coaching in the U.S. needs more formal educational requirements.
Triathlon coaching has enough regulation now through USAT.
I'm a coach.
Coaches in the U.S. have dubious qualifications to coach athletes.
The "open-ness" of the coaching system in the U.S. is good.
Most traithlon coaches are credible and valid as coaches.
Most triathlon coaches in the US have questionable credibility as coaches.
US coaching has no formal curriculae, and therefore no credibility.
The lack of improvement in average U.S. AG'ers proves our system is broken.
The success of U.S. AG'ers proves our system works.
It's not that hard to be a coach- what's the big deal?
Any person who dispenses advice for compensation should be accredited.
This is a multiple choice poll.

2011-04-06 12:53 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Subject: The Coaching "Crisis": Your Opinions on US "coach" credibility.

In the U.S., if you want to be a dental technician, auto mechanic, accountant, licensed massage therapist, legal advocate, teacher or other role where you are a broker of specific knowledge to others you generally need a qualifying credential. A formal curriculae with an attached qualification regimen and maybe even required currency training.

Not so with coaching.

In most (all?) European countries the title "coach" is attached to a Master's level university degree, and cannot be used without the requisite formal education and credentials. It is a profession, a vocation.

In the U.S., if you or I want to be a "triathlon coach" all that is required are a few business cards and maybe a website. Athletes with no formal training in physiology, anatomy, sociology, psychology, counseling, or exercise science can be a "coach".

Won a race? Won your age category at Ironman? Swam in College? Bam- you're a "coach", the local hot shot, the go-to guy or gal.

What do you think of this?

2011-04-06 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3432616

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-06 12:58 PM

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: The Coaching "Crisis": Your Opinions on US "coach" credibility.

I think (and know) way too many people who have invested time and money with a "coach" only to later find out the person they were paying had little or no education or experience and was doing little more than doling out a canned planned in monthly intervals.

While individuals should do research before hiring a coach, because of the lack of a comprehensive credential system, its way to easy for someone to sell themselves as a coach (I'm sorry a weekend long seminar from USAT and a take home examine do not make someon a coach) especailly to a newer participant in the sport. 

2011-04-06 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3432622

Elite
Laguna Beach

You know what- to a degree I agree with you. I purposely put that in the headline to call attention to the thread.

Guilty.

However, that- in my opinion- does not minimize the relevance of the issue. I interact with "coaches" every week in my job. They span the spectrum of credibility from gifted and well educated with formal teaching and coaching qualifications specific to triathlon, to a drawer full of Ironman medals and a nice website but no formal, educationally/academically based credentials.

I've had coaches ask me questions like (I am not kidding), "What difference does heart rate make?" "What is the difference between a road bike and a triathlon bike?", "What should people wear during a triathlon?" One gym had a sign on their door that read, verbatim: "USA Triathalon Certified Coaching". Ooops. Lesson one: how to spell the word "triathlon".

2011-04-06 1:06 PM

Elite
Spring, TX

I have plans on becoming a coach, but plan on taking a good long time with my education before taking on athletes and calling myself one.  I've increased my knowledge significantly over the years, but at still hesitant to offer advice in areas that I'm not sure are grounded in science and have a factual basis. 

I've been shocked to see how many completely ignorant people call themselves coaches.  To me, the credibility of US Triathlon coaches is pretty low.  IMO, more work needs to go into ensuring that the USAT coaches are educated and aren't just looking for ways to make a quick buck my offering fast easy solutions to new athletes. 

Edited to add:  There's more to coaching that providing training plans to people.  There should be a minimum level of technical knowledge.  That includes things like training w/ power, bikes, swim technique, run form, diet, nutrition, etc. 

Edited by AndrewMT 2011-04-06 1:08 PM
2011-04-06 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3432644

2011-04-06 1:14 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I would agree that it would likely greatly improve the quality of coaches out there by having a more stringent vetting process. As a liscensed financial advisor, I have had to pass many exams to receive my accredidations. Fred way more so then me and I also agree with him that this is a "crisis" only in so far that an amatuer hobby can have bad instructors. That's a bit of a yawn in any circle other then our small one. Hoenstly, caveat emptor. Age group triathlon coaches have no fiduciary responsibilty to their clients like some of the examples you cited, so the analogy isn't really apt.

But I do agree that the industry would be better served by having a higher standard, but that could be said for any industry.
2011-04-06 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3432663

Edited by Fred Doucette 2011-04-06 1:20 PM
2011-04-06 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3432659

Elite
Laguna Beach

You raise a valid counterpoint: What about a "mentor" or other person with valuable insight into the sport that could benefit others- but does not have a Master's in exercise physiology?

The sport is new in the U.S. (relatively): Many new athletes simply need the basics: What do I wear? Where do I put my bike at the race? How does the swim work?

Is there a place for a "developmental" coaching system that starts with people being licensed through USAT as an "athlete advocate" or some other preliminary title?

I don't like excessive regulation and licensure any more than the next lad, but this may be a case where something more could be better than what we have now.

2011-04-06 1:27 PM

Veteran

There are definately some problems with tri coaching in the US, buuuuuut...

I have a problem with this site:

http://www.coachmetriathlon.com/

I've heard way too many fast local AG triathletes giving bogus advise and workouts that will and have straight-up injured athletes who are not at the same level as themselves.

At least with a USAT Cert (and I'm not saying that it's enough) you have been exposed to a lot of good information though for the most part the coach would need to do a lot more research.  They also have access to the USAT coach's Yahoo Group wich is a huge resource for newbie coaches. 

I guess I am a bit of a reason for more strict rules.  I went to a USAT lvl 1 clinic and got certified.  I don't have a lot of experience, but due to me having 1/2 a brain I was able to pass.  Now I don't coach people, my wife and I opened a tri-shop / training center and I wanted a better base to be a more knowledgable business owner. 

My wife however has an ex-phys degree along with a decade in the sport and a couple decades of coaching various levels of swimming.  She does coach people, myself included.  She is continually reading and researching to keep up on the latest science and techniques.  After another year of experience at Lvl. 1 she'll be attending the Lvl 2 clinic, which I hear is a great course.

2011-04-06 1:28 PM

Master

First of all, as far as I know, a credentiallling process DOES exist though it is not required. I'm certain someone else can speak more to this but there are USAT Coach Levels and there is a process that goes with those.

That being said, there is no crisis and there is no need for credentialling or more regulation. The best regulator is the consumer, if you hire a coach without asking any questions about their experience or training then, well, you get what you bargained for. If you do ask, and you're easy enough to be won over by someone who has simply won an AG at an ironman or is a local hot shot...then whatever floats your boat. Others may yet be happy to go on a friend's recommendation. Everyone has their criteria and how stringent they are and the market works itself out. If one of those criteria is having a credential, that's fine too. We have this same argument each time someone asks about a non USAT race.

Additionally, having a credential is not the same thing as being intelligent or having integrity and it's also not the same thing as being a good fit (which is very important for a coach). Frankly, plenty of idiots have degrees or pass useless certification exams and many smart people don't bother to get a degree or pass a certification exam.

All certifications or credentials do is serve to weaken people's desire to investigate and understand themselves, figuring "oh if they are certified' then they must be good. The poster above me mentioned financial planners. Plenty of unscrupulous financial planners have made the news over the years and plenty more that have lost their clients quite a bit of money despite their 'credentials'. If you have a coach (or a financial planner) and you never have questions about how/why they are recommending something to you, then you're not doing it right. There are certainly some things where licensure is necessary (like a doctor) but it has to be a high threshold in my opinion.

So, in short, everything seems to be working fine to me. Regulation is not the answer and, in my opinion, would actually weaken coaching overall, reduce competition, and drive up prices arbitrarily.

Edited by merlin2375 2011-04-06 1:29 PM

2011-04-06 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3432663

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
bryancd - 2011-04-06 11:14 AM

Fred way more so then me and I also agree with him that this is a "crisis" only in so far that an amatuer hobby can have bad instructors. That's a bit of a yawn in any circle other then our small one. Hoenstly, caveat emptor. Age group triathlon coaches have no fiduciary responsibilty to their clients like some of the examples you cited, so the analogy isn't really apt.

You guys are making great points but I wonder if the coach really does bear a bit more responsibility when it comes to setting up training plans and goals for a client that promote injury. I know many AG can be susceptible to injury and want a coach to help them train without injury.

I don't personally use a coach because I can't afford one but a key for me would be the coach not only making me faster but protecting me from the stupid things I tend to do.
2011-04-06 1:35 PM

Master
, California

While I can see how education or certification could add value, those aren't the only paths to gaining knowledge.  I'm speaking generally, not just for coaching.  I work in the software industry.  I have my degree, I've done research and I've been part of patents.  Those all factored into the job I do now.  At the same time, I have a co-worker on my same level who never graduated from college but rather was mostly self taught and built up his skills through work experience.  We're both qualified to do the work but arrived from different directions.

I don't see where coaching needs a special gold star to say you're qualified.  It's not like a cell-phone contract that's locking you in for 2 years.  If the coach isn't providing you with a tangible benefit, then you move on to a new coach.

2011-04-06 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3432708

2011-04-06 1:55 PM

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA

Disclosure: I do not use a coach.

In my limited knowledge/experience, most "accrediting/licensing" bodies are just money generators, with little legislative authority over those whom they license.

I think one of the greatest ironies of all is that it take six months to get a license to cup somebody's hair, but you can become a Realtor (being in charge of most people's largest financial decision of their lives) in just one weekend.

2011-04-06 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3432691

Elite
Laguna Beach

"First of all, as far as I know, a credentiallling process DOES exist though it is not required."

Correct. However, the first level of USAT "coach" is arguably rather rudimentary for a person to bestow upon themselves the omniscient (in many eyes) title of "coach".

Additionally, as you correctly point out, it's voluntary. The last entry level coaching certification seminars for USAT filled up literally like online registration for a big US Ironman; in minutes. Everybody wants in. I'll suggest more for the calling-card value of the "title" than the depth and breath of the curriculum.

2011-04-06 1:57 PM

Regular
Jacksonville

Of course there's a credibility issue with "triathlon" coaches in the US.  It's a fringe sport with no opportunity to make any money. 

2011-04-06 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3432708

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
cbrave - 2011-04-06 12:35 PM
You guys are making great points but I wonder if the coach really does bear a bit more responsibility when it comes to setting up training plans and goals for a client that promote injury. .

Responsibility, for sure. Fiduciary or legally liable responsibility, no. Due to the nebulous nature of excercise and training physiology, it would be difficult to prove a coach acted with reckless indifference and cause you an injury. Again, that's where the rubber meets the road in the US as to consumer protection. Misrepresentation would also be difficult to prove.
2011-04-06 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3432788

Expert
bryancd - 2011-04-06 12:01 PM

cbrave - 2011-04-06 12:35 PM
You guys are making great points but I wonder if the coach really does bear a bit more responsibility when it comes to setting up training plans and goals for a client that promote injury. .

Responsibility, for sure. Fiduciary or legally liable responsibility, no. Due to the nebulous nature of excercise and training physiology, it would be difficult to prove a coach acted with reckless indifference and cause you an injury. Again, that's where the rubber meets the road in the US as to consumer protection. Misrepresentation would also be difficult to prove.

Thanks guys for your thoughtful answers. So I guess it really comes down that a consumer really doesn't have recourse for a bad coach other than spending money elsewhere and spreading the word. Maybe BT should consider a "review" for coaches where people can share the good and bad for coaches.
2011-04-06 2:13 PM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Not sure how relevant my comment is, but I took the USAT Level 1 course last fall.  There were a few attendees who already had established coaching businesses and were there to get certified.  I found the lack of knowledge of a couple of them to be fairly embarassing.  It truly is buyer beware.
2011-04-06 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3432798

2011-04-06 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3432826

Expert
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-06 12:18 PM

cbrave -  Thanks guys for your thoughtful answers. So I guess it really comes down that a consumer really doesn't have recourse for a bad coach other than spending money elsewhere and spreading the word. Maybe BT should consider a "review" for coaches where people can share the good and bad for coaches.

I think bad word of mouth is the best answer. However, there is a danger even in that. If BT were to have a "review" for coaches (I don't think they will) it could result in liability against the site if a certain coach was pegged as a "bad coach". That coach could sue arguing that her/his ability to make an income was tarnished inappropriately.

Also, (as this happens in the business, medical, legal world etc), bad reviews are sometimes from competitors looking to steal business, so buyer beware even on the reviews.

My advice would be to hire a coach that has references and that has worked with people YOU trust.

Fred..once again you are right. It is good that emotional people like me aren't attorney's or responsible for websites!

This thread has been helpful for me. I did a quick search to see if there are articles on BT about what to look for in a coach and couldn't find anything. It would be great for someone with experience to write an article that includes and explanation about certification, how a coach to expect from a coach, warning signs, questions for interview, how to check references.

For beginners and some of us that are intimidated by coaches (yes, high-school basketball was a bit rough for me), having a process to follow would be really helpful.
2011-04-06 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3432875

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
cbrave - 2011-04-06 2:30 PM  It would be great for someone with experience to write an article that includes and explanation about certification, how a coach to expect from a coach, warning signs, questions for interview, how to check references. 

not a comprehensive answer but here is a start
2011-04-06 2:58 PM

Master
Redlands, CA

I do not have a coach but I have shopped for one, and decided it was better to go it alone and spend the money on Masters swimming.

There's a big 'money grab' for coaching much like there was with Realtors years ago.  My guess is there are alot of triathletes that want to do what they love, so they opt out of their career and coach.  It seems the default career for every retiring pro out there. 

There's a ton of coaches out there that want 100+ a month to send you a training plan marginally better than what is offered here on bt, and only accept emails.  I don't considering that coaching.  Any knowledgeable triathlete can do that.

I do think a good coach is worth their weight in gold, as they have to be a nutrition expert, running expert, cycling expert, and swimming expert.  To truly get all that and to have a person with the right personality to coach is rare.

Edited by furiousferret 2011-04-06 2:59 PM
2011-04-06 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3432798

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
cbrave - 2011-04-06 4:06 PM

Maybe BT should consider a "review" for coaches where people can share the good and bad for coaches.

Slowtwitch has a system that allows for this; go to the forum, across the top you will see coaches listed on the menu bar. Not sure how much information is shared there but they do have a mechanism for reviews.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Coaching "Crisis": Your Opinions on US "coach" credibility. Rss Feed  

of 2