FS Series
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 6s
Overall Rank = 5/58
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Coffee around 6. Peanut butter, honey, and banana on a whole wheat sandwich slim (trader joe's) around 6:30. Rack on car, bike on rack, out the door by 7:30. At race site 7:45, everything in transition by 8ish. Chilling out, meeting my rackmates. Sweet rack position (alphabetical) with minimal bike travel distance to bike out and from bike in. Downhill run out of transition for run 2 start, so killer spot.
Event warmup:

Once TA was set up, I set about an easy jog on the course in the new Mushas. Love, love those shoes. Why didn't I go that route before?? Mixed in a few pickups, but really just focused on making sure no issues were present. Quick stop by the bathroom here for #1. Would duck into the woods again for #1 right before race start.
Run
  • 15m 45s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 06m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was 6:30-6:35/mile here, and be ready for a 6:25-6:30 on run 2, so this was a little quick. I wanted to have a good first run, but not kill it, so this was a little aggressive. No mile-markers on the run though, so kinda tough for me to gauge it. Oh well, it is what it is.
What would you do differently?:

Pace better, save it for the bike.
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Packing a lunch here. Trouble with the strap on the bike shoes, but everything else was good. Needed to ditch running with the hat, but the hat was special to me (2010 Team Race Menu from Boston, and since Boston's a week away, I felt obliged to wear it). 14th fastest T1.

No hat. New bike shoes with good straps.
Bike
  • 52m 58s
  • 17.65 miles
  • 19.99 mile/hr
Comments:

ARGH. I knew I would suck here. Only roadie in the front group, HOWEVER, I did reel in the top runner and he was on a roadie! That was within about 3.5 miles. Then at 5, my buddy Paul Savage came roaring by on his Orbea with a "good job". He was flying, and gone. He had top bike split at 50:37 to my 52:58. Over 2 minutes faster in 18 miles! The hunt is on for the TT bike.

More stealthy setup on the bike. I already had it pared down (1 cage, no flat kit), but it's a chunky 11 year old aluminum road bike, nuf said.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

I sorta mucked up the entrance into the park off GL Church Road, and had to cut through the cones a little. A volunteer was moving the cones around right as I was entering, and I had to lock up BOTH brakes and slide to a halt to avoid him, yelling out "SH#T" right as I came in. Not cool of me, he was doing a great job helping. Recovered, and made my way in. I had such fun in this TA. I was jamming to the music being provided by a solo guitarist FS had down near race control, and having fun with spectators and volunteers. Fun, intimate race. 8th fastest T2

Went pretty well, not sure, maybe focus more on the transition and less on having fun?
Run
  • 16m 57s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

No zip in the legs coming off the bike, kinda used up the legs. Quads were fussing a bit, but no cramping, no pain. I was definitely pushing it here, and not seeing the speed I thought I might. A 6:47 is about right on this course, not particularly fast all around, as it does have some turnarounds, and some turns, and I was being careful of my footing for some of the spots. Nice finish chute kick, held on to it.

I run stronger if there's someone to run with or catch. I was in 1 AG position, and next spot back was over 30 seconds back overall, so it was basically just holding position. I wasn't going to catch next spot up overall, but it wouldn've been interesting if I did run even close to first run pace what would've happened (catching Paul back).
Post race
Warm down:

Finished, congratulated my competitors, then went for an easy jog out on the course, urging other runners on. Got some great bread from Great Harvest and just chilled out. Called Paul Kelly to thank him for coming out on course (he and the girls were out on Horton's Pond yelling for me to go chase down Paul S....wasn't gonna happen). Called Lainey and she and the boys were enroute.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike fitness, and bike. Period.

Event comments:

FS knows how to put on a race. This was a small, intimate race, and the vibe was good. I will definitely be making a transition over to duathlons I believe. Just so much easier for me to roll out there and not even WORRY about swimming.

Last updated: 2011-04-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:45 | 02.5 miles | 06m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 4/58
Performance: Good
Not balls-out here. Just focused on getting my rhythm set.
Course: Downhill, rolling uphill, then flat/down to the first turnaround. Slight uphill, then rolling down/up to the 2nd. Long downhill, then rolling up to flat back to TA.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:50
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:52:58 | 17.65 miles | 19.99 mile/hr
Overall: 8/58
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Rollers to start, net downhill to the halfway point, then steady uphill all the way back in, with a nasty little headwind on the back half of the course.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90+
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:16:57 | 02.5 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 5/58
Performance: Below average
Course: Same course as run 1.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-09 8:49 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: Cary Short Course Duathlon

2011-04-10 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3438077

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: Cary Short Course Duathlon

Nice job Bill! 5th overall and 1st AG is very nice. And on a roadie too! Conditions were not particularly nice yesterday morning for a ride so that is a solid effort for sure! And two very strong runs too. Nice!

2011-04-11 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3438077

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Cary Short Course Duathlon
Good job Bill. I wish there were more duathlons out there, especially later in the year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cary Short Course Duathlon Rss Feed