Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Stretch and swim in lake before start
Swim
  • 00m
  • 800 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

My cap fell off after the first buouy and it pulled my goggles off. I stuck my cap into the front of my suit and kicked on my back until I could get my goggles back on. I lost time doing this, because the goggles didn't fit right with out my hair in the cap. I have long hair and it dragged in the water after that. It was in a pony tail, but it definately felt uncomfortable. I still swam well,despite this set back.

The water was not cold. I was surpised at how many participants wore wetsuits. I guess they needed the help to go faster or stay afloat. I passed quite a few wetsuit swimmers. Tried to find someone to draft, but I couldn't quite match up with anyone, they were either too slow or too fast.
What would you do differently?:

Cut my hair. I need to thin it out before my next event.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Had to run through dirt to T1 so my feet were covered with grit. I didn't have a bucket of water, so I had to sit down and wipe my feet off. I found both my and my husband's bikes had fallen over and were stuck together. Took a few minutes to untangle the mess. Lost time.

Bring water bucket. Bring some kind of stand for my bike. The event used ropes to hold the bikes, but it was not stable like poles.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 15 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

A couple of the areas had some gravel, but easy to maneuver through and around. Need to practice staying in aero position. I passed a few bikes. Yay. But was passed also. Boo.

Nothing, but need more training.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Quick T2 so took a momment to drink lots before taking off.

Drink while on the bike more, so I won't have to in t2
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Ran my race.(slow) Lot's of folks passed me. (those I passed during the bike).

Need to run more and get some speed.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around to slow heart rate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Over weight. Need to train for running more.

Event comments:

Very organized. On military post, so lots of help for traffic control and directions. Very supportive staff. Lot's of fresh fruit and frozen recover ice pops. They used ropes for racking the bikes, but they are not very effective. Lot's of door prizes and they gave away a Kona road bike as the grand prize. I didn't win it. Maybe next year. Good experience for me. There were many more men than women in this event. Every one was in great shape. Elite category and Hard bodies eveywhere, then there was me. I plan on doing this event next year.

Last updated: 2005-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 800 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: tri suit
Course: triangle, right turns
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:00:00 | 15 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: relatively flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Nice run through military neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-20 9:02 PM

Veteran
The Emerald City
Subject: Triple Threat

2005-08-21 5:15 AM
in reply to: #229743

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Subject: RE: Triple Threat
Well done. Sounds like you did OK despite the goggle and bike entanglement set backs. I'm trying to picture a bike racking system made up from ropes, but I'm failing miserably
2005-08-21 1:14 PM
in reply to: #229817

Veteran
The Emerald City

Pulch - 2005-08-21 3:15 AM Well done. Sounds like you did OK despite the goggle and bike entanglement set backs. I'm trying to picture a bike racking system made up from ropes, but I'm failing miserably

Picture the usual racking system with poles.  Now replace the poles with ropes.  The ropes swayed so if someone tugged hard enough the bikes would fall down.  I had to hook the rope between the brake lever and handle bar which was not stable with the rope.

2005-08-22 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Great race. Good job hanging in there when you lost your cap. BTW, I'm one of those "wetsuit" wearers. Unless banned because of warm temps, I wear my wetsuit every chance I can. I know it's pitiful, but as a newbie swimmer, I'll take all the help I can get--and the suits really do help. Looks like I'm out of luck this weekend. Last report is 80 degree water temps at the lake I'm racing in on Sunday. D'oh!
2005-08-22 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California

duplicate...

Edited by Vapor Trail 2005-08-22 9:24 AM
2005-08-22 9:59 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Good job on the race!

2005-08-22 10:00 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Sounds like a fun but tough race!  Good job.
2005-08-22 10:01 AM
in reply to: #230445

Veteran
The Emerald City

Vapor Trail - 2005-08-22 7:23 AM Great race. Good job hanging in there when you lost your cap. BTW, I'm one of those "wetsuit" wearers. Unless banned because of warm temps, I wear my wetsuit every chance I can. I know it's pitiful, but as a newbie swimmer, I'll take all the help I can get--and the suits really do help. Looks like I'm out of luck this weekend. Last report is 80 degree water temps at the lake I'm racing in on Sunday. D'oh!

No insults intended for wetsuits.  Just thought it was odd for warmer water and a sprint.  I must try a wetsuit someday.

2005-08-22 10:46 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Sounds like you had a great race!  I would probably drown trying to put my goggles back on. You must be a really strong swimmer to do all of that sans wetsuit...I love mine.   Those ropes sounds like a pain.

I usually bring an extra water bottle and "squirt" my feet in T1 if they need it.  Easier than a bucket.

Keep up the awesome work

2005-08-22 11:26 AM
in reply to: #230488

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California

No insults taken. I also find it a sorry state that we wear wetsuits in bathtub-warm water...but I can't help doing so myself...  I really wish I didn't need to wear one. This weekend my brother-in-law (a former competitive swimmer) is doing a race with me. He's going "bareback", which means not only will he smoke me on the swim as usual, he'll also gain a minute or two in T1 for the time it'll take to get my suit off.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triple Threat Rss Feed