Boston Athletic Association
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 28m 51s
Overall Rank = 7313/26000
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1273/Lots
Pre-race routine:

I try to fall asleep 9:30, but it is 6:30 pm my time.. toss and turn for hours finally alarm goes off 4am (1am my time) I get up, get dressed, put sunscreen on my face, pack up and get going to Boston. I miss a turnoff, but find a parking place close to the finish. I grab my mylar blanket and walk a half mile to the bus pickup. I wait for the bus for 30 min, hrm 30F ish with a 20 mph wind brrr. Bus ride 45 min and then there we are on a baseball field, wet grass, no tents, no tarps, no heaters, too few porta poties and nearly 4 hours to wait. Brr the wind is cold I wrap up in my thin sheet of plastic and start shivering and keep shivering for hours. A very kind person donates a thin piece of insolation to sit on and I am very thankful. I continue to shiver... one hour... 2 hours.... 3 hours, ok I am ready to get in a taxi and go home now freek I am so cold, should I go to medical, maybe they have a nurse indoors I could go in out of the wind. I eat a power bar. Finally they start calling waves, the sun comes out but no real heat yet. I walk jog to the finish line jaw clenched teeth chattering wondering what damage has already been done to my body.
Event warmup:

Walked to finish, shivered for 4 hours.
Run
  • 3h 28m 51s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Alright, start was fine, everyone just got up to a 7:30 pace for the first mile and nowhere to pass, so just settle in and enjoy the ride. The 2nd mile was a bit faster and then the pace was fine right around 7:10 where I wanted it. The lines were too long at the portapotties so I had to stop at mile 4 to use one on the course and then back out into the masses. Hr was a bit high but manageable I wanted 166 and it was 168 but felt good. The first 5, 6, 7 miles all solid... then at mile 9 my outter thighs started to burn. This was from the hours of shivering. I now knew the price of not having a full snow suit for my prerace sit. My dreams of a 3:10 were gone from this point on. Alright well I am here nothing to do but ride it out. Hrm losing a couple seconds here, but too early to really turn up the speed and the HR is settling into where it should be, just ride it out pace is around a 3:15:00 finish which would still be a PR. I hit 13.1 at 1:37:00 yup right on target for 3:15 to 3:20.... and then my right side starts to cramp... ya from the shivering. That was a big hit, I decreased my water intake from 3 ounces every other mile to every 4 miles to reduce the side ache... then at mile 16 the other side starts to cramp. I start losing more precious seconds and 3:15 is gone. At mile 18 my right hip starts stiffening as well as the front of my thighs, at mile 19 the other hip tightens a bit. By mile 20 I am not taking in water at all or calories the side pain is too much any more and I will have to start walking. At mile 21 my right calf tightens up, continuing to bleed precious seconds throught those hills. My stride shortens my speed decreases, 3:30 is still a BQ time and as long as I don't walk I think I can hold enough speed to do it, but it will be close. More folks walking as the miles go by. At mile 23 my left calf tightens and I am reduced to jogging. Folks are passing me now. I can feel any incline or decline and I just focus on keeping my arms swinging. Even my jaw hurts from all that shivering and now clenching against the pain. Mile 24, I have to pause between breaths against the pain in my side, speed down to 9 minute miles, 2 miles to go (+.2 I know) just keep going. Mile 25, tunel vision, there is this guy in front of me and I am just following him, there really isn't much outside of that. We turn right and then there is a left turn and I can see the finish. I pick up the pace, both calves tighten like fists, I don't care I clench my fists, pump my arms and know I have about 3 mintues to close .2 mies. I get it done manage to raise a hand to wave for the finish, the calves hold and I am across the finish line. It is done. Not a PR, bearly a BQ, but not for lack of effort. That was all I had.
What would you do differently?:

If I were to do it again I would bring 1 -20F sleeping bag, 1 inflatable air matress, hat, gloves, windproof jacket and pants and a mug of hot coco. It was really the shivering for 4 hours that killed my race. My training and pacing was perfect until I started losing muscle groups.
Post race
Warm down:

After I stopped running my legs were fried, like really fried. I hobbled on for a half mile to get to the finisher medals. I sat in a wheelchair for a few minutes while the medical staff said I shouldn't be sitting I should walk and stuff. I told them I know my and I need to sit for a few minutes. They tried to subtly check my mental status.. I told them I knew my name, the date, my time splits, that my mental status was fine and my plane was leaving in 90 minutes and walked off. I had to sit again after another block. A very nice vollunteer gave me a new mylar blanket, I smiled ironically at the thing. Another very ice lady got me a gator aid.. oh my it was cold and I knew I was borderline dehydrated. So I drank 1 20 oz water, 1 20 oz gator aid and grabbed another. I got up made it to the finisher medals and then headed off to my car. A lady asked me if I needed to go to medical, I told her no I just need to sit down somewhere and that somewhere was going to be in my car. She was nice, I just needed to get off my feet. As I got close to the car post run shivers started in. I got to the car, blasted the heat and drank the 3rd 20 oz drink. Ok now to drive. I started driving and my right calf and shin cramped at the same time as I pushed on the accelerator. Oh this is gong to be fun... in downtown Boston. I made several critical turns and thought I was golden until I missed on turn and got sent off to Revere Beach. Finally I found a gas station, filled up asked for directions and got to the rental agency. I got a ride to the airport and changed out of my race uniform into my 2xu compression leggings and street clothes, grabbed someting to eat and another 20 oz beverage. Ya still dehydrated. I got on the plane, had another 12 ounces of soda and got some solid non carb food in me. The next flight was delayed and I ended up not getting home until 4:00 am local time, 7 am East coast time and collapsed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Shivering for 4 hours. I know I would have had a better race if I had access to any form of heat or shelter from the wind or non wet seating etc.

Event comments:

Ok so course was very challenging, the fans were amazing running with the big boys was a dream come true. But a tent or a heater at the beginning of the race and something to eat at the end other than 1 baegel and a gator aid would have been nice. I know they had 26k people, but they really skimped on some basic necessities. The local kids run has better post race food and activities. It is a famous race, I am glad I went, they skimped on some really important things. I wish I knew I would have no shelter for 4 hours prerace and that the temp would be 30 degrees colder than the forcast was when I packed. How not to do Boston, now I know. A rematch is definately in order. At least I passed 700+ people who didn't pass me back at the end. Fond memories, could have been a really perfect day with a tent for prerace. But now I know.

Last updated: 2011-04-20 12:00 AM
Running
03:28:51 | 26.2 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 1273/Lots
Overall: 7313/26000
Performance: Below average
7:31, 141, 7:20, 152, 7:09, 158, 7:04, 163, 7:13, 168 7:03, 171 7:17, 168 7:21, 169 7:23, 168 7:28, 166 7:36, 165 7:22, 164 7:27, 166 7:29, 166 7:44, 165 7:33, 161 8:14, 163 8:04, 164 8:04, 163 8:21, 163 8:45, 165 8:36, 160 8:49, 160 9:04, 159 9:26, 157 9:19, 162 8:37, 165
Course: There are no big hills on the Boston Marathon, but then there are no flat stretches either, you are always going up or down. This makes it hardish to pace yourself, but then you are surrounded by 26,000 people so you pretty much go with the pack anyway. After Heartbreak hill they say it is all downhill, don't belive them, you still have those darn slight up and downs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-04-20 11:52 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: Boston Marathon

2011-04-21 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3457962

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon
Way to hang tough.
That wind pre-race was terrible! I couldn't help but wonder how much energy I expended just trying to stay warm-and I was prepared. I had ski gloves, hat, hand warmers, layered clothing and it was still cold.
2011-04-21 9:48 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
way to gut it out bao!
2011-04-21 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
GREAT rr.  Sorry the race wasn't everything you'd hoped for......but now you know what to pack!!!   Good job!
2011-04-21 11:01 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-21 11:09 PM

Champion
Calgary
Dude, killer!

That sounds totally rough. Very impressive work. LMAO that you are catching a plane 90 min after your race. oh my.

Congrats!

2011-04-22 7:59 AM

Expert
Nice race despite the 4 hour wait in the freezing cold.  Had to re-read the part where you mention your flight is in 90 minutes while still sitting in a wheelchair at the finish.  WTF, lol.
2011-04-27 12:15 PM

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
those long cold waits can really take it out of you...  way to fight it out to the finish...  next year you'll be toasty warm and crush it...!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boston Marathon Rss Feed