Alliance Chamber of Commerce
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 39m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before the alarm went off; showered; ate English muffin w/ butter and jam; drank a couple of cups of coffee; checked weather. I had packed the night before so I loaded the gear into the van and filled the tires in my bike. I thought the air pressure guage on the pump was defective, but this morning I realized that you have to open that title little valve for the air to go in. Got the tires pumped, bike loaded and then went to start the van....no battery...it seems that if you're going to use the pump that plugs into the van, you actually have to have the car running, or you drain all the power from the battery. My husband was a really good sport and pushed my van out of the garage and jumped it for me. Bah, something always happens to me race morning!
Event warmup:

Got to the site later than I wanted- there was quite a line for packet pickup, so by the time I got my transition area set up and my wetsuit on, it was time to start the race.
Swim
  • 34m
  • 1094 yards
  • 03m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is only the 3rd open race I've done...I was really dreading it, but told myself that my goal was just to stay calm and make it to the end...it actually wasn't bad. I'm still slower than almost everyone, but I didn't have any moments of panic. My friend's son was doing the race and he commented that his goggles have a tint that blocks orange & red, and that he could hardly make out the orange buoys. Turns out that the goggles of Phoebe's I wore did the same thing. I could only see the buoys when I was right on top of them, and then they looked like big brown garbage bags floating on the water. I caught myself going to the inside of the first buoy and had to backtrack to swim around it. The couple of times that I bumped into people I thought I'd try to draft off of them, but after a few strokes I could tell I was no longer riding their bubbles. I'm not really sure how people draft when they can't see the swimmer ahead of them.
What would you do differently?:

Wear different goggles.

When I was choosing what to wear I decided on a short sleeved shirt, but didn't think about how goofy that would look under a sleeveless wetsuit. I'll probably go back to wearing a tank. Also, I suspect that my black under armour bra was quite obvious below my blue shirt.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

The distance from the beach to the transition area was pretty long. I really didn't feel like running up the beach, but I tried...you know, pride and all. I threw a couple of gel packets into the pockets of my shorts (I love my tri shorts!)and ate a gel in the transition area. My bike rack was the last one before the exit and there weren't many bikes left (I think I counted 13), so I pretty much hopped on and rode away right from the rack.

nothing really- it wasn't a fast transition, but I was so happy that I did ok on the swim, I wasn't bothered by being slow.
Bike
  • 1h 54m
  • 27 miles
  • 14.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I forgot about taking in calories on the bike. I was probably well over an hour into my ride before I thought to take a gel. Then I had a hard time getting it open. I had hoped to make up some time on the bike and pass some people so I was pretty disheartened when 4 people passed me early on. Towards the end I was able to pass 3.

Maybe take gatorade on the bike and skip the gel
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Carrie met me at the transition and gave me a good pep talk (and reminded me to take my helmet off). I was technologically disadvantaged this race- yesterday I got the battery replaced in my stopwatch. Apparently they only put 2 of the 4 screws back in, so now it's pretty much a snow globe. I also don't have a bike computer that fits on my road bike, so it was kind of frustrating not to know how long or far I had gone.
Run
  • 1h 18m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I got passed by a couple of people on the run, but worked really hard at just "running my own race". I was hot and tired, but I was able to run the entire way, just walking through the aid stations.

Work on interval training and learn how to run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

met my family and friends at the finish- ate oreos and drank gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of experience at this distance, excess weight

Event comments:

This was the race I wathced 1 year ago that has served as my motivation in changing my lifestyle. It was great to have my family and friends from my bike group there.

Last updated: 2005-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:00 | 1094 yards | 03m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: ironman sleeveless
Course: funny shaped rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:54:00 | 27 miles | 14.21 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind
Course: One long segment early on was uphill and into the wind- it wasn't much fun. My legs felt funny on the bike- I really need to get a fitting- for the first time my knees hurt and my seat hurt.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:18:00 | 06.2 miles | 12m 35s  min/mile
Course: Residential streets and through the college campus. Miles 1 and 2 were marked, and then nothing until the 5 mile mark.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-21 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio
Subject: Carnation Triathlon

2005-08-21 6:31 PM
in reply to: #229975

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Carnation Triathlon
Congrats on a great race. That battery thing would have made me crazy!!!!
2005-08-22 4:42 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
You did it.  Your first Olympic.  Congrats!  You did the race you wanted to do last year, isn't that a great feeling?
2005-08-22 4:53 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Job!!

You should be so proud of yourself...doing an Oly is tough and a super accomplishment.

You had a few obstacles and overcame them with grace and got it done...brown garbage bags as bouys would be hard to spot....watch issues so you didn't know how far/long you had gone. Great job at running the whole run....it is long especially after a long swim and bike.

Last year you were an observer and now you did ....awesome job!! You Rock!

2005-08-22 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Congratulations Debi, that is so cool! It certainly was a gorgeous day for a race. Enjoyed reading your race report.

Diane
2005-08-22 10:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Wow, this is really inspiring.  Thanks for showing up and then telling us about it!

-- Gwendal

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carnation Triathlon Rss Feed