General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike In Transition Area The Night Before The Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-25 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3465017

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Bike In Transition Area The Night Before The Race

As for race morning pops, when I yank the pump off my tire it sounds a lot like a "pop" followed by a "hiss".  Perhaps people are mistaking that sound for tubes "popping"?

Not in my case. This pop was absolutely a pop. It was likely already a bad tube, but the temp increase absolutely played a role, as it was the only variable to change from the few hours before the tube popped to the actual pop. The bike hadn't moved, nothing touched it, but it got hot and the sun was hitting the bike in side the garage - then pop.

2011-04-25 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3463470

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
We've had tires blow spontaneously in our living room while there was no fluctuation in temperature. Weak spot in the tire, maybe a near puncture that finally happened. Who knows? But I'm not going to let all the air out of my tires every time I bring my bike in.
2011-04-25 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3463470

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I've been paranoid about this as well, knowing the psi change is small.

last year I did a race, and let out some air to compensate for temp (dropped off bike previous day)...well this caused a problem, forgot my pump ! and the community pump was worn out and couldn't get full pressure.  so this year, I won't be making that mistake !!

2011-04-25 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3465078

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

the bear - 2011-04-25 4:20 PM We've had tires blow spontaneously in our living room while there was no fluctuation in temperature. Weak spot in the tire, maybe a near puncture that finally happened. Who knows? But I'm not going to let all the air out of my tires every time I bring my bike in.

Me either... I'm not sure if these has every been any testing done on this, but I'd wager a guess that the multiple inflate/deflate cycle on a tube is actually worse than keeping it at a semi-constant pressure.

Also if you deflate them too much (and then roll the tire) you increase the chance of getting a pinch flat the next time you inflate.

2011-04-26 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3465135

User image

TriRSquared - 2011-04-25 1:43 PM

the bear - 2011-04-25 4:20 PM We've had tires blow spontaneously in our living room while there was no fluctuation in temperature. Weak spot in the tire, maybe a near puncture that finally happened. Who knows? But I'm not going to let all the air out of my tires every time I bring my bike in.

Me either... I'm not sure if these has every been any testing done on this, but I'd wager a guess that the multiple inflate/deflate cycle on a tube is actually worse than keeping it at a semi-constant pressure.

Also if you deflate them too much (and then roll the tire) you increase the chance of getting a pinch flat the next time you inflate.

I was thinking about this and thought that for those that have experienced the sudden blowout that there was probably some type of defect or imperfection in the tube. If that's the case, then leaving it inflated or even a little over inflated would help expose a possible problem that would otherwise show up race day if you deflate it the night before.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike In Transition Area The Night Before The Race Rss Feed  

of 2