General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike In Transition Area The Night Before The Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-24 5:45 PM

User image

Subject: Bike In Transition Area The Night Before The Race

I now attended 2 races where I had to put my bike in the transition area the night before the race. Any good reason why? Any suggestions on how to protect the bike? I am pretty sure they have security and if something would happen they would replace it, right?

Michael.

2011-04-24 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3463470

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Subject: RE: Bike In Transition Area The Night Before The Race
mhast - 

I am pretty sure they have security and if something would happen they would replace it, right?

Yes and I doubt it, but with good security loss shouldn't be much of a concern.  I have done one race that required this (Hy-Vee) and the volunteers/staff were VERY good about checking IDs against bikes.  I also noticed a LOT of lighting around the transition area, so in addition to security personnel there wasn't going to be cover of darkness for any shady activity either.

2011-04-24 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Manly

Noosa you have to do the same. But with 8500 competitiors i think it makes sense to avoid the rush in the morning. Again it is lit up and there is security. 

Also if you drop it off in the afternoon and its hot remember to deflate your tires! 

2011-04-25 4:09 AM
in reply to: #3463584

User image

Champion

I've had to do this at a bunch of races.  It seems that the bigger the race, the more likely it is that you will need to rack it the day before.

I never worry about security b/c I figure that there are other bikes far prettier and tempting than mine to take.  Plus, I'm usually situated in the middle of rack in the middle of transition.

At Rev3 Quassy, there was a crew set up and taking pics of each bike as it came into transition.  Part of the reason was insurance, in case something happened, and bike stats to provide to companies.

One of the things that always seems to confuse me is when people wrap plastic bags around their seat.  Wrapping a bag around the handlebars to protect the bike computer, I can understand.  Do they forget that their butt is going to be wet when they come out of the swim?  

2011-04-25 7:34 AM

User image

Expert

This weekend this will be my first time going through this.  Hope it goes smoothly

2011-04-25 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
I did one where we had to do this.  It was a smallish race, but T1 and T2 were in two different places and there just wasn't enough space for people to park at the lake in the morning.  Having us rack the bikes the night before and then ride a bus from the finish out to the start just made the logistics easier.  Theoretically there was security there all night.

2011-04-25 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3463790

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
CubeFarmGopher - 2011-04-25 5:09 AM

One of the things that always seems to confuse me is when people wrap plastic bags around their seat.  Wrapping a bag around the handlebars to protect the bike computer, I can understand.  Do they forget that their butt is going to be wet when they come out of the swim?  

LOL! This is something I ALWAYS laugh at in every race. Seriously, though- what are people thinking about when they do this??
2011-04-25 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, TX

This is a friend-of-a-friend kind of tale, but this guy had to rack the day before and was worried about security.  So he locks his bike, only to realize in T1 that he doesn't even have the key.  Way to end a race.

I've done this at a few races.  I don't like it as much but I don't worry about my bike.  I did sort of wrap a bag around my bike and the rack to deter people from moving it on the rack (I was on the end).  I don't leave anything on my bike, like my bento or seat packs.

There is debate over over- or under-inflating tires.  I go the safest route and underinflate, but that means you have to have/borrow a pump in the morning.

2011-04-25 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3464635

User image

Veteran
Indiana
ewillmore - 2011-04-25 12:34 PM

p>

There is debate over over- or under-inflating tires.  I go the safest route and underinflate, but that means you have to have/borrow a pump in the morning.

Really isnt much of a debate in hot weather races. If you dont let some of the air out of your tires the afternoon before, you will likely have flat tires the next morning.

Last year at EagleMan, it sounded like gunshots when I was dropping my bike off with all of the tires popping. Of course it was 90 something degrees in the afternoon. The heat coupled with 120 lbs or more of pressure in your tires = good possibility of a blowout.
2011-04-25 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3464669

User image

Payson, AZ
kmwilliams - 2011-04-25 10:43 AM
ewillmore - 2011-04-25 12:34 PM p>

Really isnt much of a debate in hot weather races. If you dont let some of the air out of your tires the afternoon before, you will likely have flat tires the next morning. Last year at EagleMan, it sounded like gunshots when I was dropping my bike off with all of the tires popping. Of course it was 90 something degrees in the afternoon. The heat coupled with 120 lbs or more of pressure in your tires = good possibility of a blowout.

I don't understand why I don't get flat tires every day here in Tucson then

2011-04-25 12:51 PM

User image

ewillmore - 2011-04-25 10:34 AM

This is a friend-of-a-friend kind of tale, but this guy had to rack the day before and was worried about security.  So he locks his bike, only to realize in T1 that he doesn't even have the key.  Way to end a race.

I've done this at a few races.  I don't like it as much but I don't worry about my bike.  I did sort of wrap a bag around my bike and the rack to deter people from moving it on the rack (I was on the end).  I don't leave anything on my bike, like my bento or seat packs.

I live in the desert and have inflated my tires inside to 120 in a cool air conditioned 83 degrees then go out and ride in the heat of the day have have NEVER had a flat due to air expanding because of the heat.

2011-04-25 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

This is yet another reason I can justify not upgrading my bike.  So many other great bikes to choose from than mine if a thief wonders into transition...

2011-04-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3464673

User image

Veteran
Indiana
bzgl40 - 2011-04-25 12:45 PM

Really isnt much of a debate in hot weather races. If you dont let some of the air out of your tires the afternoon before, you will likely have flat tires the next morning. Last year at EagleMan, it sounded like gunshots when I was dropping my bike off with all of the tires popping. Of course it was 90 something degrees in the afternoon. The heat coupled with 120 lbs or more of pressure in your tires = good possibility of a blowout.

Not sure how to respond to that - most likely has something to do with actually riding vs letting your bike sit in the sun.

Either way, I always relieve the pressure in my tires if my bike is going to be sitting in transition during a hot afternoon - much easier to re-inflate then to have to deal with a flat tire on race morning......

in reply to: #3464699

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
crusevegas - 2011-04-25 1:51 PM
ewillmore - 2011-04-25 10:34 AM

I live in the desert and have inflated my tires inside to 120 in a cool air conditioned 83 degrees then go out and ride in the heat of the day have have NEVER had a flat due to air expanding because of the heat.

That's because temperature has little to do with it.  According to the ideal gas law P1/T1 = P2/T2

So if you pump them up to 100psi at 70F when the temp rises to 100F the pressure will be 105psi.  Almost no difference. 

Here in FL we get some BIG temps swings in spring and fall.  Never had an issue.

Physics for the win!

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-04-25 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3464673

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
bzgl40 - 2011-04-25 11:45 AM

x2....my flats seem to come from our crappy roads.  Not from the heat.  In fact, pretty sure I don't know anyone who has had tires blowing out down here from heat. 
2011-04-25 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, TX

At my race yesterday, there were several people who were a little annoyed that the volunteers wouldn't let them out of transition because they didn't have a number on their bike.  They just made them go to their car to get the number although that doesn't prove that it was actually their bike.   It was a pretty small race so I don't think you could have gotten away with it.  I kept thinking that they should be happy that the volunteers weren't letting someone else walk out with their bike.

They didn't do a good job of checking for bike numbers when going into transition, which they normally do (along with helmets and bar end plugs etc).  I guess that's why I hadn't seen much of a problem before.

2011-04-25 1:28 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I did sort of wrap a bag around my bike and the rack to deter people from moving it on the rack (I was on the end).  I don't leave anything on my bike, like my bento or seat packs.

Just for other people reading this... make sure it's okay to "wrap" your bike the night before the race. Many bigger races I've done say in the athlete guide this is not allowed, and security will go around at night and take off bike covers and any bags covering anything but bike computers or seats (still don't get the seat cover thing either). Just be sure to check before you do that so you aren't surprised come race morning.

And as for the "debate" over tire pressure... not really a debate in my mind either as I've witnessed first-hand tubes popping on race morning as the temperature rises. I've also had a tube of my own pop when I left a tire in a hot car on accident. Not sure why it happens in some areas of the country and not others, but it definitely happens in my neck of the woods. Better safe than sorry, IMO.

2011-04-25 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
The guy I ride with leaves his bik ein his truck everyday and never has an issue
2011-04-25 1:48 PM

Most races would have rent-a-cops (or some other human presence) over night near the bike racks, but who knows if every race is covered, plus you have to consider, people are there until 10-11pm at night and then probably by 3am the race of...so there really isn't much time for a burglar to come and try to steal it. 

If the race requires bikes to be set up the night before, chances are good that the race is big enough that they will have people there all night like its daytime anyways.

While your bike is not insured by the race, you have to look at it in terms like this:   If you have a nice tri bike and are at a big race, chances are good there are quite a few expensive bikes down there, so its kind of like leaving your unlocked mercedes in a mercedes dealer lot vs. a used car lot. 

Also, bikes are somewhat illiquid when it comes to resale, often involving going through an online site (craig's list, ebay, this site, etc).  It's not a product that can easily be sold at the street corner by your friend or knows a friend who knows a friend that will buy it. 

2011-04-25 1:56 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
My bike spends the day in my car in the hot Louisiana sun at least once a week, all year long, with tire pressure starting at 120 psi, and temperatures rising at least 50 degrees inside the car during the day. In ten years I have never had a spontaneous blowout. Do the math folks, or read where trirsquared did it for you.
2011-04-25 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3464871

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

the bear - 2011-04-25 1:56 PM My bike spends the day in my car in the hot Louisiana sun at least once a week, all year long, with tire pressure starting at 120 psi, and temperatures rising at least 50 degrees inside the car during the day. In ten years I have never had a spontaneous blowout. Do the math folks, or read where trirsquared did it for you.

That is great that you don't have the tube/heat issues like others do.

But it doesn't mean the rest of us are imagining things like some seem to be implying. It has happened to me personally.

2011-04-25 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3464798

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
lisac957 - 2011-04-25 2:28 PM

I did sort of wrap a bag around my bike and the rack to deter people from moving it on the rack (I was on the end).  I don't leave anything on my bike, like my bento or seat packs.

Just for other people reading this... make sure it's okay to "wrap" your bike the night before the race. Many bigger races I've done say in the athlete guide this is not allowed, and security will go around at night and take off bike covers and any bags covering anything but bike computers or seats (still don't get the seat cover thing either). Just be sure to check before you do that so you aren't surprised come race morning.

And as for the "debate" over tire pressure... not really a debate in my mind either as I've witnessed first-hand tubes popping on race morning as the temperature rises. I've also had a tube of my own pop when I left a tire in a hot car on accident. Not sure why it happens in some areas of the country and not others, but it definitely happens in my neck of the woods. Better safe than sorry, IMO.

There is no "debate" in physics.  If the tires pop due to a 5psi increase in pressure over a 30 degree change then they were inflated far too close to the maximum pressure to begin with.

No one doubts that people have had tires pop.  However it is very unlikely to have anything to do with temperature increase.

Correlation <> causation

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-04-25 2:28 PM
2011-04-25 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3464949

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
TriRSquared - 2011-04-25 2:27 PM

There is no "debate" in physics.  If the tires pop due to a 5psi increase in pressure over a 30 degree change then they were inflated far too close to the maximum pressure to begin with.

No one doubts that people have had tires pop.  However it is very unlikely to have anything to do with temperature increase.

Correlation <> causation

Obviously I'm no physicist, but I don't ever inflate my tires to the max. Which is why I was so surprised it happened to me.
I will just continue to be confused I suppose - and try not to leave my tires in the car this summer.

EDIT: I re-read your posts and am honestly wondering why tires pop then, if it has absolutely nothing to do with heat? Why is it that you can inflate to a certain PSI the night before, and they magically pop on race morning? What is the cause? I would like to know so we can all prevent this.

Edited by lisac957 2011-04-25 2:39 PM
2011-04-25 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
I have also witnessed my tire pop due to heat. I was cleaning up the garage last summer on a hot day. The bike was resting in the garage, not near me or anything else. All of a sudden "BLAM" - complete tire blowout. I never inflate close to the max PSI.  Even though it was very hot and sunny out, I was very surprise at this spontaneous blow-out.
2011-04-25 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3464965

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
lisac957 - 2011-04-25 3:33 PM
TriRSquared - 2011-04-25 2:27 PM

Correlation <> causation

Obviously I'm no physicist, but I don't ever inflate my tires to the max. Which is why I was so surprised it happened to me.
I will just continue to be confused I suppose - and try not to leave my tires in the car this summer.

EDIT: I re-read your posts and am honestly wondering why tires pop then, if it has absolutely nothing to do with heat? Why is it that you can inflate to a certain PSI the night before, and they magically pop on race morning? What is the cause? I would like to know so we can all prevent this.

Probably a weak tire to begin with.  Perhaps a pinch or a slight leak that finally gave out.

Let's say we have a "perfect" tire inflated to 100psi at 32F.  Now let's raise that to 100F.  That would cause the tire to reach 113psi.  And very few of us (if any) see that kind of temperature swing.

Most race ties are good to 130-150psi.  So there is no way for a tire with no defects to POP from temperature alone.  Could temp be a factor?  Sure.  But the main cause, nope.

If your tube has a defect that causes 5-7 psi to make it pop then it was probably going to pop sooner than later anyway.  Hitting a pothole or big bump causes a spike in pressure that would FAR exceed anything you'd see caused by temperature.

As for race morning pops, when I yank the pump off my tire it sounds a lot like a "pop" followed by a "hiss".  Perhaps people are mistaking that sound for tubes "popping"?

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-04-25 2:53 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike In Transition Area The Night Before The Race Rss Feed  

of 2