General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
FS Series
Total Time = 1h 28m 22s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5am to eat, get coffee, pack up the car and wake up my sister. Short drive, great parking spot and easy set up. Stood around and talked to Louis and let my sister scope out the cute guys ;)
Event warmup:

Haven't been in open water since September...I know I know this is so dumb. The water is frigid but I felt ok...swam a little then got out and tried to stay semi warm, luckily they moved things along quite fast and I was in the water and off in no time.
Swim
  • 19m 16s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Scottie and I were in the same "wave" and we were chatting when they told us to go. I still had my goggles on top of my head...oops! I was a hot mess this entire swim. I was so cold and could not catch my breathe. I kept looking over at the kayak thinking...I am done with this race already. I did not want to be there. But I did a combo of freestyle and doggy paddling and by some grace I got to the end. I was not proud. I was so mad at myself for not training properly and not getting in the lake before this race. I was already recommitted to my training again even before this race was over. I never want to feel like this again.

I did see Scottie though, he was having a bad swim too and we both kinda laughed at the situation.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

I hated this boat ramp! I pretty much walked half of it and chatted with my sister then I realized I had a long jog to transition so I got going. Scottie was at transition so we both talked about our awful swims before grabbing bikes and going.
Bike
  • 37m 52s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 16.64 mile/hr
What would you do differently?:

Not gonna lie, I sorta gave up on the bike. I just didn't care anymore after that swim. It was foggy, I was cold, the roads were wet and my bike gears were off. I did what i could but I was just watching the miles tick by..I wanted this race to be over and I mentally checked out. I have been struggling with the bike recently and I just felt defeated. Which again, is really unlike me and I again never want to feel like that again.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Easy transition, the Yanks worked well even with wet feet.
Run
  • 26m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

This was really a nice run course. My knee instantly hurt so I knew I couldn't kill it but I just kinda trotted along and reflected on the race. Other then my knee I felt great..probably not as good as I should have felt at the end of a sprint...I definitely didn't push it enough.
Post race
Warm down:

I finished the race with a smile but I was so disappointed in myself. I should have been hurting and I was barely breathing hard. I realized a lot: 1. I need to open water swim more, 2. I need to bike more, 3. I need to give my knee a rest from running, 4. I need to learn to push myself more, 5. I am not a sprint kinda girl! I really prefer longer distances where I have time to settle into a pace and just go. There is no time to settle in a sprint...it is go, go, go especially with a bike this short there is no slacking.

Still I think I needed this kick in the pants. I need to really focus on tri training again, I have been run focused since last fall and I still feel I coasted through my spring marathon training, relying instead on my base from a fall marathon and ultra. If anything I learned I can't rest on my laurels, I still have to put in the work or it will bite me in the ass.

Event comments:

Another great race by the FS Series guys! Look forward to more of their races this season.

Last updated: 2011-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:16 | 820 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:10
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:52 | 10.5 miles | 16.64 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:56 | 03.1 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-04-26 7:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon

2011-04-27 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3467795

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon
I felt the same way at this race last year. Glad it has helped you re-focus. Don't be down on yourself. You have been run focused and that went well. It is early in the season and you'll be rockin' the races soon.
2011-04-29 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

Hey look, you two have the same picture!

On the bright side, you're fit enough to bust out a sprint any ol' time you want to.

2011-04-29 10:39 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Good luck in the future....hope your next race goes better!!!!
2011-04-29 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3473105

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
DMarkSwan - 2011-04-29 10:22 AM

Hey look, you two have the same picture!

On the bright side, you're fit enough to bust out a sprint any ol' time you want to.

That is really funny...to the point where the cone is even in the same place!

On a serious note, sorry about your race Jen! I didn't realize you were that down after the swim...it is hard to recover from something like that and it distracts you for the rest of the race. But like you said, you can refocus and nail the next one (Triangle, right? grin). So did your sister find any cute guys? What is her name, by the way? I saw her at the end of the bike and sorta said "hi...uhm, person I just talked to who is Jen's sister but who's name I don't know".

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Orthopaedic Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed