United States
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 23m 46s
Overall Rank = 436/470
Age Group = 34-39
Age Group Rank = 40/42
Pre-race routine:

Had my cereal and a Luna bar in the morning about 2.5 hours before my wave start. Had water with breakfast.
Got there about 5:40. Went to the bathroom, set up my transition area and talked with CindyK and MarkK. Also saw my friends from work who were doing the sprint.
Event warmup:

Got in the water- it was so warm! Water temp was 76. Did about 50 yards of slow swimming just to get comfy.
Swim
  • 36m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goal when I started the race was to keep a slow steady pace just so I would have enough to finish. I stuck to my gameplan pretty well.
The swim was better than I thought it was going to be.
Just kept my pace and didn't worry about others passing me. As I rounded the first buoy, the sun was glaring off the water and I couldn't see a thing! Had to stop and rinse my goggles so I could see where I was going. It helped.
Ended up getting pretty chafed under my arms where they rubbed on the wetsuit. They burned the rest of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Just wanted to make it and I did. Practice more at the longer distances and do more OW swims.
Put more Bodyglide on my armpit areas.

Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

I walked mostly to T1. Saving energy.
Wiped my feet and put my shoes on. Usually I have them on the pedals but since I wasn't in a huge hurry today I just put them on in T1 and walked my bike to the mounting area.

Stick with what works. Seems to work better for me when I put my shoes on while on the bike. Saves more time for me personally.
Find a spot on the rack where there's not a ton of sand and water sitting. I kept stepping back into the stuff!
Bike
  • 1h 31m 20s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.32 mile/hr
Comments:

When I first started on the bike I was actually a little cold, but that only lasted til I was somewhat dry.
Took my time on the bike, had a gel shot about 15 minutes in and drank lots from my 2 bottles- 1 with water, other had Powerade.
Asked a girl if she needed some help with her chain but she said go ahead and not ruin my own race. I said I was just out there for fun and no big deal. She got the chain back on.
The wind seemed a little gusty at times and the roads went from glass smooth to pretty rough in some places, but overall it was very scenic and a nice ride. Went by a kennel and all of the dogs were freaking out!

Not much. Maybe up the tempo just a little more. Maybe after more training, I'll feel comfortable speeding up on the longer distances.
Also, I think I drank too much. Paid for it on the run.
Transition 2
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

I was pretty slow in T2, probably because I was dreading the 6.2 miles ahead of me.
Decided to keep my biking shoes on, which didn't really work for me. Stopped and took my shoes off and carried them as I pushed my bike to T2.
Couldn't find my spot and had to double back after I passed it up. My bad.
Had to dig through my bag and find the Bodyglide and reapply it to my burning underarms where my wetsuit rubbed. Then had to dig it out again for my feet.
Finally got my socks and shoes on and threw on my shirt and racebelt. Took a deep breath and started on my way.

Keep the bodyglide out so I can use it if needed. Need a bigger towel to thoroughly clean my feet. There was sand everywhere.
Take my helmet off as soon as I get to my spot. Almost forgot to take it off!
Run
  • 1h 09m 42s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, all I have to say is I did it. Wasn't great, but I completed the run.

Worst part was having to pee so bad the first 1.5 miles! Saw a portapotty on the course and decided to stop. Just as I was starting to head there, the girl in front of me got there first! Ugh! Had to wait for her to finish while I was stripping outside the port-a-potty. Finally, she exited and I entered while pulling down my 1 piece tri suit. Relieved myself and got everything back on and headed back out on the run. If I subtract my 3:10 for my potty break, I did better than my 10K run by itself that I did at Big Foot! Makes me happy even though I was last in my age group on the run.
Got to see CindyK and MarkK who were literally miles ahead of me. :-)
Was walking at every drink station to get 1 or 2 swallows of water. Felt pretty good and even my husband flew over in our small plane at about the 3 mile mark when I was heading out to 165. That was nice. :-)
High fived an older man who was great!
Started hitting the wall about 4.7 miles in. My calves were tightening up and my hips were getting pretty tight too. All I kept saying was "it's only another 15 minutes, you've already gone for 3 hours. 15 minutes is nothing." Well, I slowed to almost a crawl and finally saw the finish line and heard the crowd who stuck around to cheer on us late arrivals.
My friend Trish and her friend came on the course and ran the last 50 yards with me. Boy did that help!
I almost broke down in tears when I crossed the line, but I held it together. Gave Cindy and Mark a big hug and thanked them for having the faith in me to do an Olympic distance race this year.
Yay! I did it!

Run lots more for training. Lose about 15 pounds. That's about it. Drink according to needs. Last race I did was hot and I didn't drink enough. This time I drank too much and it was about 20 degrees cooler.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water and Gatorade. Got stretched out by the Aurora sports person. Tight hips and calves.
Talked with Cindy, Mark and my friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training enough at the longer distances.

Event comments:

I will definitely do this race again. Well organized, on time, close to home.
Had a great time and hope to improve next year!
Oh, and I didn't finish last in my age group, yay!

Last updated: 2005-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:31 | 1640 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/470
Performance: Average
Suit: QR shorty
Course: A triangle. Out to the right then back in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:31:20 | 24.85 miles | 16.32 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out to the west down 165 and to the frontage road at I94. Then down some country roads, around the outlet mall then back to 165 out over to the sprint distance bike ride.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:09:42 | 06.2 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Course: 3/4 around the lake-switchback onto the road, out to 165 west over the river, switchback to Lake Andrea then all the way around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-22 2:12 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon

2005-08-22 2:27 PM
in reply to: #230914

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon
Brenda,

You had a fantasic race yesterday and its a great race report. That's so cool having your husband conduct your own "fly-over" during the race. You should be very proud of your accomplishment. You will only get better and better with more races under your belt. BTW, that was one heck of a porta-potty-dance haha

Mark
2005-08-22 2:34 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
awesome job! congrats on finishing your first olympic!
2005-08-22 4:39 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Hey Brenda,

Second what MarkK said - you did GREAT!   I'm sure there will be many more to follow...but can hubby afford to do fly-bys of them all (heehee)?

Let me know if you can make it to the Thurs nite ride, I think you'll enjoy it

2005-08-22 8:06 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Brenda - what an awesome race!  I'm really proud of the way you challenged yourself beyond your comfort zone -- and did GREAT!

And that run is only going to get better!  I mean, take out the potty break, and you're better than Bigfoot, where you were fresh going into it... think of how you'll smoke the course next year!  And hopefully next year I'll be there racing with ya. 

Congratulations on a great race!!
2005-08-23 9:50 AM

User image

Regular
Pacific Northwest

Brenda,

You rock girl!! Way to go on your Olympic Distance!!

I was planning on coming up to see all of you race but ended up doing the Tri-America race in Zion instead.  I would love to get together and start training as I am desperate for some motivation and want to really make some improvements on all three events.  : )  I am gearing up for Ironman CDA again next year!

Give me a call if you want to try to get in a few workouts.  847-691-0336

2005-08-23 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Maine
Congrats on your first olympic!
2005-08-23 12:28 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Brenda,

CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST OLY!!!!!!!!      Glad you made it a FUN day for your first one.  

2005-08-24 8:57 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I DID have fun and plan on doing more in the future, hopefully a little faster.....
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon Rss Feed