General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lance Armstrong: Court of public opinion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

Lance Armstrong: Court of public opinion
OptionResults
Yes158 Votes - [58.52%]
No112 Votes - [41.48%]

2011-05-22 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3511990

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-05-22 5:10 PM
in reply to: #3512141

Master
Cypress, CA
Subject: RE: Lance Armstrong: Court of public opinion
Artemis - 2011-05-22 7:57 AM
gerald12 - 2011-05-20 7:07 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-05-20 4:52 PM Just heard on the radio that George Hincapie told federal investigators that he witnessed LA injecting banned substances. Is it too late to change my vote? That's pretty damning, IMO. it's still unsubstantiated testimony, but unlike Hamilton, Landis, LeMond, etc, Hincapie has nothing to gain and a lot to lose by implicating Lance. Wow--that's a bombshell.

With Hincapie coming out I am having my doubts now also.

George Hincapie said yesterday on Twitter, "I can confirm to you I never spoke with "60 Minutes." I have no idea where they got their information."  Also, "As for the substance of anything in the "60 Minutes" story, I cannot comment on anything relating to the ongoing investigation."

What that actually means, I have no idea.

I think what it means is that, apparently unlike someone else with access to the grand jury proceedings, Hincapie is committed to respecting the confidentiality of his testimony.

Which prevents him from either denying or confirming the accuracy of the story.  Remains to be seen what his testimony actually was.

At this point I don't know if the truth will ever be conclusively known.  There's a ton of circumstantial evidence building up that Lance doped, which you can choose to believe or not.  At the same time there's a ton of scientific physical evidence that he didn't, and you can choose to believe that's accurate, or not--there are plenty of admitted dopers (possibly now including George Hincapie) who've not tested positive.

Coming to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter.  If all of the top guys doped, then if you take away Lance's honors you're probably just handing them to another doper, who just wasn't as strong a rider or as effective a doper as Lance.  And that guy's not going to get a retroactive Wheaties box photo or Nike endorsement deal out of it.

Cycling is already coming down very heavily anti-doping, and I for one think it's a strong possiblity that a lot of the top guys now are racing clean, so the "for the good of the sport" rationale is about 2 years too late.

Only real effect that nailing Lance will have is to screw LiveStrong.  Regardless of what you think about Lance as a person, that's a bad thing and the FDA should stop it. 
2011-05-22 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3510357

Elite

60 Minutes brought up an interesting point.  Disgraced track star ( lots o' gold medals) Marion Jones, passed 160+ drug tests.  (she doped)  She has done her jail time...it will be interesting to see if Lance follows in her footsteps. 

Even the dude from the testing lab confirmed the tests can be beaten.

All I've got to say is Lance has got some 'splainin' to do.  He made "donations" to the testing association? Who does that?  $25 grand...then a few years later, $100,000?  

I love what Lance has done fighting cancer...and I don't want to believe he was dirty...but man!  The dots are starting to get connected here.  It will be interesting to see what the feds turn up.    

2011-05-22 10:08 PM
in reply to: #3512931

Master
, California

Isn't there a statute of limitations on most of this stuff?

Oh they'll try to get him on perjury and obstruction of justice but all he has to do is keep his mouth shut and not lie under oath.  I can see where the feds could pressure Hamilton into speaking, because his last positive test was in 2009 (less than 3 years ago).  Lance on the other hand will be silent, I think.

The biggest risk for Lance is what tjh mentioned: having his image destroyed and hurting his charity.  Mark McGwire wound up with the same tarnished image after (smartly) refusing to incriminate himself in front of Congress.

Edited by spudone 2011-05-22 10:09 PM
2011-05-22 10:38 PM

Elite

That story was crap. Most of what was in it was not new. Lance still might have doped, but it does not make the story any better.

As for Tyler and Landis... it's a B.S. move to all of a sudden get a conscience once you have nothing to loose.... it's worse when you do it cause you have something to gain. Couple of scum bags. If Tyler is so damned concerned about the sport and his conscience, why did he take immunity?

And again... LA could have doped, might have... but even still... team mates come and go every year... he was dogged about PEDS from day one... he started his campaign that he didn't dope from day one... yet we are to believe he directly  supplied team mates with peds????... that he actually asks Ladis... some scrub at the time to "watch his blood for him for a month".... I'm sorry, they might very well knew he doped, but their stories do not make sense. I just don't buy them. I have a hard time believing as driven as LA was, as shrewd as he is, with the team that he surrounded himself with, that he and his"team" would have left him so exposed like that... to have him directly involved and tied to anything like that.... yet the team management and team doctors directed Hamilton to dope...  yet were smart enough not to supply it themselves... yet Tyler gets on the phone to the one guy all the money is tied to and LA ships Hamilton some dope.... makes no sense what so ever.

Edited by powerman 2011-05-22 10:42 PM
2011-05-22 11:09 PM

Elite

Okay, how 'bout if what has been rumored (Hincapie claims he saw LA taking PEDs) would that be enough to sway even the most ardent of LA defenders?  Yes, I know Hincapie has said what he told investigators is between him and the investigators...but eventually I'd imagine this would come out?  

Would that convince folks LA was not "clean?"

2011-05-23 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3510420

Extreme Veteran
Woodstock, MD

RedCorvette - 2011-05-20 4:02 PM Technically he has taken EPO, because that was part of his cancer treatment.

As far as doping to improve his cycling performance, I'll say he's innocent until proven guilty.   

There's been no smoking gun so far, no hard physical evidence.  Only the accusations of some very morally and ethically questionable characters.

The 500 or so drug tests that he's passed pose a pretty compelling statistical argument.

Another thing has always been on my mind, especially after watching my father died from cancer:  Having been so close to death at one point, why would Lance screw around with his health by doping?  And wouldn't his doctors know if he did?

Mark 

The 500 or so tests is in itself a somewhat questionable number. See the writeup of it here: http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/05/tyler-hamilton-confessor-and-witness.html

2011-05-23 1:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area

LA:

Pre cancer, yes I believe he was one of the peloton, all/most dopers.  I also believe that a good portion of the hospital episode has some truth.  However, I don't believe he continued post cancer, the time in which he actually won his titles.  Being that near death, I can't see how he would have risked it.

JMHO

Adam

2011-05-23 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3513002

Master
Centennial, CO
ChineseDemocracy - 2011-05-22 10:09 PM

Okay, how 'bout if what has been rumored (Hincapie claims he saw LA taking PEDs) would that be enough to sway even the most ardent of LA defenders?  Yes, I know Hincapie has said what he told investigators is between him and the investigators...but eventually I'd imagine this would come out?  

Would that convince folks LA was not "clean?"

What if it turns out that Hincapie didn't say anything of the sort, and instead said that he believes that LA never did dope.  And let's say the GJ drops the case.  Then would that be enough for you to believe he was clean?

My guess is that until there is physical proof there will not be a consensus among people as to whether he did or didn't.
2011-05-23 1:48 PM

Las Vegas

There is no smoking gun, give me a photo, some documentation, the guy that says, "I did it, I sold him the stuff", not the guy that says I saw him do it, and I would know because I'm a cheat too! 

I want Lance broken down in the witness stand sobbing, while a Perry Mason, Ben Matlock cyborg hybrid holds impossibly clear photo's of him injecting himself with an ACME sized needle with "ACME Illegal Doping Juice tm" written on the side.  Maybe, maybe, then I'll give some credence to these "accusations" Undecided

2011-05-23 2:09 PM

It is my personal opinion that Lance, and the ENTIRE peloton, then and now, dopes(ed).

That being said, when being intervied, Hamilton's eyes were rolling all over the place when answering questions.  It seriously looked like he was making things up on the fly.  It was pretty comical to watch.

2011-05-23 2:26 PM

Regular
Southern Maryland

So... can someone define doping for me?

I see it being used in a way that makes me believe it is in reference to performance enhancing drugs (like steroids or something), but I thought it was more related to storing blood and moving it around pre-race or something... <confused>.

2011-05-23 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3514261

Pro
Beafly - 2011-05-23 12:26 PM

So... can someone define doping for me?

I see it being used in a way that makes me believe it is in reference to performance enhancing drugs (like steroids or something), but I thought it was more related to storing blood and moving it around pre-race or something....

Yes.  blood DOPING is just that.  you take your blood out and store it.  Then, add it back in later for peak training and racing so that you've got more red blood cells to carry all that O2.  they were also talking about EPO, which is a hormone that stimulates red blood cell production- so I guess, a similar effect.

2011-05-23 2:36 PM

Elite

Here is the only thing that came out of the story for me....

If cycling has the highest standards, and the strictest doping policy.... and they set the levels for what is considered proper and not proper.... and all the cyclists dope up to that level... then isn't that a level playing field???

Hamilton basically said that the Postal team doped up to the level of not being over. I always thought in terms of doping over levels but not getting caught, or faking tests, or what not..... but if the postal team doped.... just up to the set levels laid out by the governing body..... then how much of an edge is that??? And if all the teams do it that way.... then that means all the contestants are equal.

I thought that was interesting to me that they have not stopped doping, but perhaps set a level playing field.

2011-05-23 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3513935

Champion
Sarasota, FL
wannanorseman - 2011-05-23 1:18 PM

RedCorvette - 2011-05-20 4:02 PM Technically he has taken EPO, because that was part of his cancer treatment.

As far as doping to improve his cycling performance, I'll say he's innocent until proven guilty.   

There's been no smoking gun so far, no hard physical evidence.  Only the accusations of some very morally and ethically questionable characters.

The 500 or so drug tests that he's passed pose a pretty compelling statistical argument.

Another thing has always been on my mind, especially after watching my father died from cancer:  Having been so close to death at one point, why would Lance screw around with his health by doping?  And wouldn't his doctors know if he did?

Mark 

The 500 or so tests is in itself a somewhat questionable number. See the writeup of it here: http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/05/tyler-hamilton-confessor-and-witness.html

Nothing in that article except a lot of unsubstantiated speculation about the number of drug tests. 
I prefer to form opinions on facts, not someone's else's opinions.  I would have to assume that records exist somewhere for the testing that occured over the years.  Once someone does the legwork to document the number of actual tests then it might mean something. 

One fact is that remains is whatever the number of tests was, LA never failed one.  Allegations of payoffs to cover up a failed tests don't count until they're proven. 

Was LA always just one step ahead of the testers?  Perhaps.  But even if it was say only 200 tests instead of 500, that's still a statistically compelling argument if he passed them all.  Why was he the only one to slip throught the net when so many of his peers eventually got caught?  

Hamilton, and especially Landis, are morally reprehensible human beings in my view.  They've only come clean because they got caught.  Just slimey weasels.  If they are so remorseful, why didn't they admit to it orginally?  I still don't how Landis can look at himself in the mirror after soliciting all that money for his "defense fund".  Especially when he knew it was all a lie.  And I just love the "coincidence" that both these slimeballs come out with their revelations during successive Tours of California, when they knew that attention is being placed on the cycling world.  How is that helping the sport?

Do I think LA is lily white?  Nope.  Hate to say it, but I'm in the group that thinks he probably used "something" pre-cancer.  That being said, post cancer, having been so close to death, it would greatly surprise me that he would do anything to jeopardize his health.  And surely his oncologists would know if he was using anything wouldn't they?  Even though they couldn't break doctor/patient privilege, wouldn't they refuse to treat him any further if they knew he was doing to something to potentially damage his health?   

Mark

2011-05-23 2:50 PM

Regular
There is no way the only clean rider in the Tour won it seven years in a row.  Just no way.

2011-05-23 2:52 PM

Regular
Southern Maryland

And consider...

If he was the only clean rider on the tour, and he was whooping everyone else for 7 years straight...

Maybe they should just legalize it.

2011-05-23 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3514313

Not a Coach
Media, PA

RedCorvette - 2011-05-23 3:44 PM

Why was he the only one to slip throught the net when so many of his peers eventually got caught?  

He wasn't.  Many of those who we now know doped during his time (e.g., Ullrich) never tested positive either.

2011-05-23 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3514323

Elite

Hartamophone - 2011-05-23 1:50 PMThere is no way the only clean rider in the Tour won it seven years in a row.  Just no way.

Or.... what you can say as fact is that LA did not win 7 in a row with a clean TEAM. One reason he won 7 in a row was because he fielded superior teams every year. If he was not doping... but his team was....

Edited by powerman 2011-05-23 3:00 PM
2011-05-23 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3514313

Champion
the colony texas
RedCorvette - 2011-05-23 2:44 PM
wannanorseman - 2011-05-23 1:18 PM

Mark 

Nothing in that article except a lot of unsubstantiated speculation about the number of drug tests. 
I prefer to form opinions on facts, not someone's else's opinions.  I would have to assume that records exist somewhere for the testing that occured over the years.  Once someone does the legwork to document the number of actual tests then it might mean something. 

One fact is that remains is whatever the number of tests was, LA never failed one.  Allegations of payoffs to cover up a failed tests don't count until they're proven. 
You do realize that LA has failed drug tests correct.. There wasn't a test for EPO at the time, 1999-2001, when there was and samples were tested retroactively, He failed.  
Was LA always just one step ahead of the testers?  Perhaps.  But even if it was say only 200 tests instead of 500, that's still a statistically compelling argument if he passed them all.  Why was he the only one to slip throught the net when so many of his peers eventually got caught?  

Many didn't get caught.

Hamilton, and especially Landis, are morally reprehensible human beings in my view.  They've only come clean because they got caught.  Just slimey weasels.  If they are so remorseful, why didn't they admit to it orginally?  I still don't how Landis can look at himself in the mirror after soliciting all that money for his "defense fund".  Especially when he knew it was all a lie.  And I just love the "coincidence" that both these slimeballs come out with their revelations during successive Tours of California, when they knew that attention is being placed on the cycling world.  How is that helping the sport?

Not sure what you mean.. that they should have admitted it before they got caught?  Or once they were caught just own up to it and say "yes it's true"   So IF LA is guilty how will you feel about all the time, effort and money he has put into saying he never juiced.

Do I think LA is lily white?  Nope.  Hate to say it, but I'm in the group that thinks he probably used "something" pre-cancer.  That being said, post cancer, having been so close to death, it would greatly surprise me that he would do anything to jeopardize his health.  And surely his oncologists would know if he was using anything wouldn't they?  Even though they couldn't break doctor/patient privilege, wouldn't they refuse to treat him any further if they knew he was doing to something to potentially damage his health?   

Nope not an issue... many lung ca patients still smoke,, they still get treated.   just on example since I'm short on time

Mark

2011-05-23 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3514386

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Gaarryy - 2011-05-23 4:19 PM [Nothing in that article except a lot of unsubstantiated speculation about the number of drug tests. 

You do realize that LA has failed drug tests correct.. There wasn't a test for EPO at the time, 1999-2001, when there was and samples were tested retroactively, He failed.  

Many didn't get caught.

Not sure what you mean.. that they should have admitted it before they got caught?  Or once they were caught just own up to it and say "yes it's true"   So IF LA is guilty how will you feel about all the time, effort and money he has put into saying he never juiced.

Nope not an issue... many lung ca patients still smoke,, they still get treated.   just on example since I'm short on time

Mark

The retroactive test stuff is a crock.  It's like saying you're going to go back and check the tape of the 2001 World Series and question all the umpire's calls.  No way to insure the integrity of the samples.

If he passes the test at the time, then it's a done deal.

Many others didn't get caught?  How do you know this?  Maybe they just didn't cheat.

Both Hamilton and Landis denied their guilt for years, even after being caught and  suspended.  They have only come clean because they see it is now to be in their own best interests to do so either for profit, or to stay out of jail.  Not because they felt any quilt or remorse.  

Lance hasn't been convicted of any wrong-doing.  Certainly lots of circumstantial allegations, but no hard evidence or proof.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Like I said before, in my gut I think he probably did something,  but I've not seen or heard anything yet that would make me vote guilty in a court of law.

Mark

2011-05-23 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3514427

RedCorvette - 2011-05-23 10:40 AM

Like I said before, in my gut I think he probably did something,  but I've not seen or heard anything yet that would make me vote guilty in a court of law.

Mark

True...but see the thread title...

2011-05-23 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3514444

Champion
Sarasota, FL
tri808 - 2011-05-23 4:50 PM

RedCorvette - 2011-05-23 10:40 AM

Mark

True...but see the thread title...

The unfortunate thing is that he is being convicted by some of the press without hard facts, only on hearsay and unsubstantiated evidence.  

It's so unfortunate the cycling only gets mainstream press coverage due to doping and crashes. 

I remember how CBS was so convinced that GWB had falsified his National Guard records.  Go ask Dan Rather about that one.

Mark
2011-05-23 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3514212

Elite
tri808 - 2011-05-23 3:09 PM

It is my personal opinion that Lance, and the ENTIRE peloton, then and now, dopes(ed).

That being said, when being intervied, Hamilton's eyes were rolling all over the place when answering questions.  It seriously looked like he was making things up on the fly.  It was pretty comical to watch.

tri808, I interpreted that as something else...being incredibly uncomfortable talking about something he has likely dreaded since the moment he was introduced to the crap on US Postal team.  Everything he lived for...everything he accomplished was not real.  Can you imagine being in this guys shoes?

If you honestly think he was "making stuff up on the fly," you must think he's one of the dumbest people in the country.  If he perjures himself, he's gone.  He'd be in the shoes of disgraced track and field star, gold-winning Marion Jones, who just got out of jail btw.  

One more thing, to think LA was afraid to use something like EPO AFTER cancer is unbelievable to me.  My reasoning?  I'm sure there are docs on this site who know the ins and outs of cancer treatment, but I'm pretty sure cancer patients are given treatments to boost red blood cell production.  Isn't Procrit one of those drugs?  I'm not certain.  

I'm not in the business of slamming this guy.  LA has done nothing to hurt me or anybody else to my knowledge.  I just wish LA would have gone the route of Pettite as opposed to Clemens.  

2011-05-23 6:03 PM
in reply to: #3514631

Elite
ChineseDemocracy - 2011-05-23 4:41 PM 

tri808, I interpreted that as something else...being incredibly uncomfortable talking about something he has likely dreaded since the moment he was introduced to the crap on US Postal team.  Everything he lived for...everything he accomplished was not real.  Can you imagine being in this guys shoes?

If you honestly think he was "making stuff up on the fly," you must think he's one of the dumbest people in the country.  If he perjures himself, he's gone.  He'd be in the shoes of disgraced track and field star, gold-winning Marion Jones, who just got out of jail btw.  

I took his story as incredibly fake too. He was acting as if he was so tore up over it... didn't come off as sincere to me. JMO. Like he had no choice with Postal.... yet he was busted again and again AFTER leaving Postal..... yet now that his book is coming out and he is trying to earn a living as a coach he is suddenly concerned for the sport.Undecided

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lance Armstrong: Court of public opinion Rss Feed  

of 7