Ellicott City, Maryland
United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
Total Time = 4h 04m 51s
Overall Rank = 1630/1640?
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 67/71
Pre-race routine:

dragged the family out of bed at 4:30 a.m. That was exertional.
Event warmup:

walking to swim start. wishing I'd had more fiber the day before.
Swim
  • 30m 45s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Last time I was in that lake I left by ambulance, so it was a real rush for me to finish strong. I realized going into it, though, that I have no clue as to how to pace myself for a good strong swim. So, although I am fairly pleased with this time considering I was WAY too far out on the outside up and back, I'm pretty confident that I could go faster, too, without killing myself. I still had some nausea for the 1st 50 yards or so, but never succumbed to breast stroking - the ginger pill & earplugs really seemed to help the motion sickness. And, don't know why I didn't experience SIPE this time, but between my blood pressure being better controlled, sleeves on the suit, double-neoprene cap, & a little under-hydration, plus warmer water temp, it all came together.
What would you do differently?:

I was encouraged to hug the right shore then cut over towards first turn buoy. I think I might start more aggressively next time - perhaps not quite so far to the right, and cut over sooner.
Transition 1
  • 06m 41s
Comments:

greeting the adoring fans takes time!

hurry
Bike
  • 1h 49m 19s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 13.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Auspicious start: halfway up the hill for bike-out, realized I'd forgotten my sunglasses. Dropped Bikey on the spot and ran back for the glasses - knew it'd be worth it.

I really can't complain (otherwise!) about the ride. This is the best pace I've ever had on that course, and far faster than my "healthy" ride last November. I used my granny gear liberally & without shame, and it saved my hip on the hills. My plan was high cadence/low gear on every hill, but I've lost so much strength that I couldn't keep up the cadence even in my lowest gear. Made the most of having fun with all the great spectators and volunteers, which made the ride fun. And, the route's so pretty, and with such perfect weather, it was truly a glorious ride. Once I hit that last block on the way to the park, I just couldn't stop grinning - it was a blast!

nothing. wish I could've trained for it, lol!
Transition 2
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

I knew I was in no rush, so no biggie
Run
  • 1h 34m 21s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 15m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Really a misnomer for me to call this a run - more like a shuffle-jog. I had cramps in parts of my legs that I didn't know could cramp. I probably stopped to stretch every half mile or so, if not more often, but was pleased that I was able to jog part of every mile. I really wondered if I'd be able to finish at first it hurt so badly (esp - oddly - outside of my ankles, and inside of my knees), but I took really small steps, slowed way down, and got through it.

train!!
Post race
Warm down:

cried

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my damn body! ankle sprain January, torn hip muscles March. Had worked my way back up to running 3 miles, very slowly, by race time.

Event comments:

The most important part for me was to just show up - I race for the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults, so just being on the course was important to me. Too much cancer in my life, and I love being part of Team Fight. It was also a great life lesson in accepting the body I have, and not the one I'd planned to race with. I may be injured, but I know how lucky I am to be as healthy as I am, so this was something I needed to do, however "well" I was able to compete.

Last updated: 2010-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:45 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/71
Overall: 992/1640?
Performance: Average
Suit: 19 rental from wetsuit.com
Course: rectangular - for me it probably ended up being a 1.1 mile swim, though...
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:41
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:49:19 | 25.48 miles | 13.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 64/71
Overall: 1610/1640?
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: killer hills!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:34:21 | 06.21 miles | 15m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 70/71
Overall: 1670/1640?
Performance:
Course: holy cow those were some HILLS
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-23 7:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2011-05-23 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3513202

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon
Great race report, Marla! Love the bit about greeting the adoring fans!!  Congratulations!
2011-05-23 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3514379

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

abake - 2011-05-23 4:13 PM Great race report, Marla! Love the bit about greeting the adoring fans!!  Congratulations!

Aw, thanks, Anne! It was really a great day...the smug satisfaction of getting to say HA! to my ortho next time I see him is an added bonus, considering the fact that the last time I saw him he said "no way" I'd be able to do this race. Hope all's well with you!

2011-05-25 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3513202

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Smug is definitely in order. Fantastic race, Lady!
2011-05-25 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3517475

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Great job Marla, that's a tough course to race hurting.  Lots and lots of hills.

Was the drummer guy out on the first hill on the run?  LOL, I wanted to punch him last year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed