United States
Genesis Adventures
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 03m 52s
Overall Rank = 16/75
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00, coffee, breakfast, shower, kid droppage... the usual. Left the hotel about 6:45
Event warmup:

Drove about 20 mins to race site, picked up packet and set up transition. They had box type bike racks which were pretty cool. and made it very easy to keep gear together. This was my first ever race day packet pick up so that threw me off a bit. I made several trips back and forth from the car to transition. Luckily we parked about 40 yards away.

Was able to get into the water and get acclimated for several minutes before the start. That helped tremendously since the water was 61 degrees
Swim
  • 38m 4s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was spread out over the beach without a real designated start area. Had plenty of open water at first but got a bit crowded closer to the buoy. Some minor contact but nothing extreme.
Sighting was good at times and horrible at other times. Sunshine and the background of the beach made a couple buoys hard to locate. Also at one point a kayak was right in mine line of sight. There were 3 turn buoys and 2 direction buoys. They only ones we had to keep to our left were the turn buoys but lots of people went wide after the second turn because the marker buoy was not in line with the turn buoys. I did my best to cut a straight line to the turn buoy but that was where I lost sight of it a few times with the beach backdrop. I caught some feet to draft here and there but went off course too many times.
What would you do differently?:

Get better land marks to help find the turn buoys.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Wet suit got hung up on big ass timing chip. Other than that it was pretty good. 17th overall
Bike
  • 3h 32m 33s
  • 57 miles
  • 16.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Went with the 11-28 cassette and was glad I did. Used the 28 on the big climb and a couple of other spots. Maybe could have gone 27, 26 would have been pushing it, 25 would have left me spent for the run.

Really paid attention to hydration and nutrition and I think that went a long way, though I dropped a Clif block, and didn't eat the Clif bar I had. I did eat the Payday but that wasn't as awesome as I had hoped it would be.

Nutrition plan was: Water and 1 "serving" of food on the 1/2 and hour marks, and IM Perform on the 1/4 and 3/4 hour marks, and water/perform intermittently if I felt thirsty or wanted an emotional lift.

I do prefer the sweetness of Gatorade for the pick me up, but the IM perform seems to be doing the trick for calories and fluid/electrolyte replacement

Maybe go harder on the rollers, flats, and downhills. Still measuring bike pace/fitness at this distance but for sure I had the best HIM run off the bike so far, and this was a tough course. Could have used some caffeinated gels or bloks
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Took my time to gather my thoughts and sat to put on my socks and shoes.

Move faster, maybe. 31st overall
Run
  • 1h 49m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

By far the best HIM run yet for me. Felt really good right off the bike and just kept feeling stronger as I went. Pace ebbed and flowed with the hills, I slowed or stopped at aid stations, and I walked about 60 or 70 yards up the last hill.
Got some real hot spots on my feet and ended up with several blisters and may lose a toe nail (had to poke a hole in it and drain the blood).
I think the blisters were due to being up on my toes with short strides for some of the climbs, and the toe nail was from my toe pushing the front of the toe box on the steeper downhills.
I knew I was passing a lot of runners but I would see people I supposed were ahead of me on the out and back sections. When I saw them going out again on my way back on the last loop I realized I was ahead of several people and started to feel really good about my performance. I had several athletes comment of my pace and form and they seemed to mean it more than the standard "good job" we love to give each other.
Pee'd once at the first aid station and drank water and Gatorade at all of them. tried some Coke late in the race but it wasn't flat and I burped too much. Didn't eat my last gel at mile 10 because I was feeling a bit full of fluid.

Not walk, pick up the pace on the second loop. Have some caffeinated gels
Post race
Warm down:

Drink water and vitamin water, eat pizza, oranges. Stretch, walk around a bit and take a very cold outdoor shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

DNA? I think I did pretty damn well out there. I could have gone harder on the bike but what would that have done to my run. I didn't want to write yet another report where I went too hard on the bike and blew up on the run.

Event comments:

Small race but very well run. Plenty of helpful and friendly volunteers.

Last updated: 2010-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:04 | 2112 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 21/75
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Ultra Full
Course: 2 loops of a triangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:32:33 | 57 miles | 16.09 mile/hr
Overall: 21/75
1 - Recovery 104 - 132 50m 54s 2 - Extensive Endurance 132 - 142 51m 05s 3 - Intensive Endurance 143 - 149 57m 41s 4 - Sub-Threshold 150 - 159 55m 46s 5a - SuperThreshold 160 - 163 02m 35s
Wind: Little
Course: 4 loops of 14 mile circuit through Harriman State Park. Each loop had a screaming downhill followed by a harsh u-turn and a monster climb back up
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:49:10 | 13.1 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 16/75
HR/Pace label Range data label Cumulative Time in zone 1 - Recovery 110 - 141 05m 37s 2 - Extensive Endurance 142 - 151 35m 31s 3 - Intensive Endurance 152 - 158 49m 29s 4 - Sub-Threshold 159 - 165 18m 32s
Course: 2 loop course through state park. Pretty hilly in spots but I ran 99% of it. Found some hard packed gravel on roadsides to run on and that felt good compared to the asphalt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-23 2:04 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: Harryman Triathlon

2011-05-23 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3514203

User image

Subject: RE: Harryman Triathlon
Way to go Breen!! 16th OA, 2nd in your AG.   And even without the rankings, those are very competitve times for that course.  Harryman is one of the Hardest HIM's in North America.  Trust me when I say, you nailed the Bike.  Any harder of an effort and you would not have been averaging 8:20's on the Run. 

Very well-paced, well execute Race.  Congrats!!
2011-05-23 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3514203

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Harryman Triathlon
Solid job out there!  Sounds like you probably paced the bike pretty well given your solid run on that course.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2011-05-23 2:32 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harryman Triathlon Rss Feed