5430 Sports
COLDF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 11s
Overall Rank = 255/329
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 30/39
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Steamboat on Saturday in time to check into the hotel, drop hubby off for a mountain bike ride, and drive out to Catamount for the pre-race meeting. Forgot to pack the trainer, so I didn't get in the spin I wanted (don't know if that affected my bike during the race or not). Had a screaming sinus headache, and hubby wanted to have dinner with some of his friends. Happily drank my water and ate some (not-so-tasty) pasta as everyone else drank fantastic wine and ate amazing filet. Ah well, the sacrifices I make for my sport ;) !

Got up at 5:00, ate my oatmeal, double checked that I had everything. Loaded the car, and headed off to Catamount. Forced down a luna bar on the way. It was pitch black when we arrived and freezing! Some people were wearing down jackets, hats, and mittens. The race organizers indicated they might go for a later start next year (sounds like a good idea). Set up my transition area (I was just a couple of rows from the bike start/finish, so that rocked), got body marked (had to remove several layers of clothing), and prevented a newbie from putting her wetsuit on inside out (its happened to all of us). Transition closed entirely ten minutes before the start of the race, so we all cleared out.

There were four waves, with the men in the first two, and women in the last two.
Event warmup:

Jumped up and down and swung my arms like a swim team kid, kissed hubby and gave him my nice warm shirt, and got in the water for a dunk.
Swim
  • 27m 18s
  • 1320 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

There was a good bit of algae near the shore, and when we got in, there was lots of vegetation (seaweed?). I dunked down, and the water was pitch black. I figured the visability would improve and seaweed would subside as I got away from shore. The visability did improve, but the seaweed was almost a constant. It was kind of like bushwacking...in water. At least I could see the seaweed, and saw it moving under me, so I knew I was making progress! This was actually my best-feeling swim in a triathlon. Freestyle the entire way...not a single breaststroke...even when I took a frog-kick to the chest! I was pretty happy with my swim.
What would you do differently?:

Practice swimming in the jungle.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Had a heck of a time getting my wetsuit off, and couldn't get my helmet on right...may have still had some kelp in my hair.

More body glide, and check my hair for debris while running into transition. Learn to put shoes on on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 9s
  • 20 miles
  • 17.61 mile/hr
Comments:

My legs were frozen when I got on the bike, and didn't really thaw until mile 6. I must have passed a lot of men on the swim, because a lot of them passed me on the bike! I just couldn't get my legs to wake up until near the end of the bike (I passed several people on the last hill :)).

Kick more during the last few hundred yards of the swim.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

When I got to my T area, someone's bike was laying down on my stuff. I had to toss that bike over so I could rack my own bike and get to my things. Grrr....

Not much.
Run
  • 44m 10s
  • 4 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, given my recent leg problems, I knew this was going to suck, and I did not disappoint! My feet were still frozen, and I couldn't feel the last three toes on each foot until mile 3. My ITB/TFL issue flared up pretty early, making this run rather challenging. I did manage to at least jog the whole thing (with a little help from the Gwen Stefani song playing in my head), and decided with this being my last tri for the year, "Screw it, I'm sprinting to the finish." I wanted to throw up, and could only hobble away from the finish line...I loved it!

Have a right leg/hip replacement.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled about a bit, drank water, ate bagels with Nutella (HEAVEN!), and chatted with hubby and other friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold legs and my leg issue.

Event comments:

The water for this event left a little to be desired for many, but I think it was really more of a mental issue than anything else. They could have had more boaters in the water, and that may have helped some of the folks who DNF'd to continue.

By the time the awards ceremony started, the air temp was really comfortable. A later start time next year would probably be very helpful.

This is a beautful site and an awesome course. I will probably do this one again next year.

Last updated: 2005-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:18 | 1320 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 166/329
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless O'niell
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:09 | 20 miles | 17.61 mile/hr
Overall: 266/329
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back through lovely farms and a neighborhood.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:10 | 04 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 293/329
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back on a paved road with minor hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-29 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
Subject: Steamboat Springs Triathlon

2005-08-29 2:15 PM
in reply to: #236530

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Steamboat Springs Triathlon
Awesome Shannon!  I am glad you had a great time.  Your attitude is awesome as well.  I can see all the pissed off people about the seaweed!  See you at the last Surf and Turf maybe?  Have fun.
2005-08-29 2:24 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
I think we could all use a little more practice swimming in the jungle! Too funny. Glad you enjoyed it and were able to get through everything, including the run!
2005-08-29 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Great race, Shannon! The kelp fields sounded lovely and added a whole new dimension to an openwater swim. But it looks like you took it all in stride like an old pro. Now go work on getting that leg transplant!!
2005-08-29 3:12 PM

User image

Regular
Lafayette, CO
Glad to see someone else was up there from BT! Sounds like you had a good time, and you did very well! How did the altitude treat you? Was that a factor for you at all?

And MAN, you're right, that Nutella hit the spot! I was so excited to see that!!!
2005-08-29 6:20 PM
in reply to: #236757

User image

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Great race and race report. This race had caught my attention because my brother just moved to Steamboat (and I went to school in Ft. Collins). I've got daily high/low temps for Steamboat on My Yahoo page and those low temps are in the 40's! Brrrr. Great going on swimming through the jungle. I am pretty comfortable in open water but I think all vegetation would have creeped me out.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Steamboat Springs Triathlon Rss Feed