United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 44s
Overall Rank = 21/261
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a little before 5am and had my breakfast. Packed the car and got the girls and headed out for the 90min drive.
Event warmup:

Was a little later getting there than expected and tried helping my wife with the girls a bit. So, by the time I got checked-in, body-marked, etc., there was no time for much of a warm up. Took a few strokes in the water to make sure the suit was on well.
Swim
  • 13m 13s
  • 805 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

There's a lot of banging at the start as it's fairly narrow out to the first turn (maybe 200m). Usually, it doesn't bother me much, but this year I just didn't feeol comfortable. At the first turn, I went too wide and lost all the draft. At least I was able to get my swimming back under control. At the next turn, I managed to get back onto the right line and did get at least some draft benefit.

In past years, you could just angle home from this turn. But, this year they forced you stay further out from shore and make a 90-degree turn once you got level with the finish. Had some more banging on the way in from that bouy. Don't think it was my fault, but who knows.

The added turn might have added a bit to my swim time relative to the past, but my relative ranking shows clearly that my swim is below where it has been in the past--no surprise there.
What would you do differently?:

More relaxed with the bumping and better swim training. Working on the latter again and hopefully the former will come with that, as well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Had some trouble getting my wetsuit off and was slow just getting myself organized. rank: 65

Plan better pre-race.
Bike
  • 38m 5s
  • 16 miles
  • 25.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Was a little slow getting my shoes tightened but, once I did, began picking off riders in front of me. Think I was passed only once on the ride (towards the end). Had some long gaps between groups of riders (only one group that I saw looked like there was some drafting going on, though) and probably allowed my focus to drift during some of those periods. Ended up riding with an IF of about 0.93 and would have liked to have been at 0.95+. Still, I was faster than I was here in the past and my time was 6th overall. Not bad.

Forgot to put my bottle on my bike with sports drink, so did this one without fluids. Fortunately, the weather wasn't too hot and I don't think it had a big impact on my race.

A little more focus.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

This was pathetic. Decided to put socks on for the run as I had some slight rubbing from trying these shoes sockless on Thurs. Put the sock on wrong the first time and had to totally redo it. Even after that, I was just too slow here. rank: 116

I've used socks in all but one race in the past and have always set them up to be quick to put on. Didn't do that this time and it showed. Just not prepared and organzied for my transitions. An easy fix, but really something that shouldn't have happened even on an 'off' day.
Run
  • 27m 9s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Caught a few people on the run and got passed by a couple. I felt OK on the run, but not great and that's about how I'd classify my performance. About half-way through, I focued on my leg turnover and I did pick up the pace a little bit (negative split the run, which probably just shows I wasn't pushing hard enough out of the gate).

Grabbed some water at the first 2 aid stations (had too much at the second as I tried to 'make up' for not drinking on the bike) and passed by the last 2.

Push a little harder out of the gate and get that leg turnover going earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and found the girls. Then grabbed some food and waited for the Bambino Biathlon race. Emma had a good time, finishing 4th in her AG and sprinting past nearly a dozen kids in the final 100m.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, mostly, though I gave up some time just from being 'sloppy'.

Event comments:

This is one of my favorite races. Nice size, low key, good course, some fast competition, well organized, nice kids race and great post-race food & awards. This was my 4th time racing here (first time in '05) and I am sure I'll be back for more.

Last updated: 2011-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:13 | 805 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 63/261
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:05 | 16 miles | 25.21 mile/hr
Overall: 6/261
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:09 | 04 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 43/261
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-13 10:42 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: Jersey Genesis Triathlon

2011-06-13 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3546130

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Jersey Genesis Triathlon
Great job on the bike out there.  I saw your result the other day, looked like a fun one.  Hope to see you out there some time this year... Keep up the great work.
2011-06-13 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3546130

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: RE: Jersey Genesis Triathlon
Nice work Johnny!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jersey Genesis Triathlon Rss Feed