General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2011-07-27 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3550668

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread

It's never too early to start planning.

I'm doing IMTX in May but think I'm going to need to sign up for a HIM between the Texas and IMNYC  to get my motivation back on track and keep me from relaxing too much.

I'm going to have to wait on deciding on a half until we have concrete orders on our next duty station.

2011-08-02 8:40 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Ok, August is here. The typical July heatwave seems to be breaking. I'm counting on this pattern for next year. Not that it will be cool, but for everyone who had concerns about the August heat, to me July always seems much worse than August.

Looks like my plan will be to head up to Lake Placid Ironman weekend to train and spectate. Perfect timing in my training plan as that will be my longest ride/run. Plus it'll give me a chance to escape the July heat/humidity.
2011-08-11 5:04 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
One year 'til race day.... Forecast for NYC today is sunny, light wind, high in the mid-80's, low humidity. I would like to officially submit my request for the same weather forecast for Aug 11 2012. Can someone take care of that for me?
2011-08-11 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3638720

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ

jsnowash - 2011-08-11 6:04 AM One year 'til race day.... Forecast for NYC today is sunny, light wind, high in the mid-80's, low humidity. I would like to officially submit my request for the same weather forecast for Aug 11 2012. Can someone take care of that for me?

X2

2011-08-13 6:29 PM

User image

Are there an Elevation Profile/ Elevation Numbers anywhere for the IMNYC Bike and Run?  I've googled, searched this site and other tri sites and have come up with zip.  It seems odd that even the WTC homepage has no Elevation maps.  

I was watching a show called Running that airs here locally on the Yankees YES Network and they did a quick preview of the course, and they noted it will be one of the most challenging Ironman courses.  Really!?

Edited by Dream Chaser 2011-08-13 6:31 PM
2011-08-25 9:55 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
These days are very nice. Wish they had scheduled this for a couple weeks later. Just a "little" wind and rain forecasted for this weekend courtesy of Irene.

But, some debate...there definitely is a tide in the Hudson. The question is, will we definitely be swimming WITH the current? Or does it actually flow upstream when the tide comes in?

2011-08-25 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3658733

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hudson river tide chart for August 11, 2012 at the GW Bridge

http://xtide.ldeo.columbia.edu:8080/locations/14.html?y=2012&m=8&d=11

2012-08-11  4:44 AM EDT   3.19 feet  High Tide
2012-08-11 6:02 AM EDT Sunrise
2012-08-11 11:06 AM EDT 1.12 feet Low Tide

Hudson river currents at GW Bridge

http://xtide.ldeo.columbia.edu:8080/locations/60.html?y=2012&m=8&d=11

2012-08-11  4:07 AM EDT   0.93 knots  Max Flood
2012-08-11 6:02 AM EDT Sunrise
2012-08-11 7:04 AM EDT -0.00 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2012-08-11 10:52 AM EDT -1.62 knots Max Ebb

2011-08-27 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3659122

User image

Master
New Jersey
jmkizer - 2011-08-25 1:28 PM

7:04 AM EDT -0.00 knots Slack, Ebb Begins

So, if I read this correctly, this is great news. "Flood" would be the tide coming in, so we want the ebb, and that begins just as the gun goes off. I actually wonder if they considered that in choosing a date.

And I retract my earlier statement about wanting to have the race a week or two later next August - what if another Irene were to hit? Talk about some serious Floods and Ebbs.
2011-09-14 6:09 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
So why do you think it is that all of the other Ironman events have much more traffic on their threads than this one? It's Ironman. It sold out in minutes - faster than others. Could it be that the people that signed up are just SO new to the sport (i.e. wall streeters who have this on their bucket list) that they aren't even considered "Beginner Triathletes" ???

After watching the clips from the NYC Tri with so many people who obviously were in over their heads, I am concerned that there will be a bunch of people who have no idea what to expect.

2011-09-14 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3686922

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
runnerx - 2011-09-14 7:09 PM

So why do you think it is that all of the other Ironman events have much more traffic on their threads than this one? It's Ironman. It sold out in minutes - faster than others. Could it be that the people that signed up are just SO new to the sport (i.e. wall streeters who have this on their bucket list) that they aren't even considered "Beginner Triathletes" ???

After watching the clips from the NYC Tri with so many people who obviously were in over their heads, I am concerned that there will be a bunch of people who have no idea what to expect.

Threads are generally slow this far out in my experiance, it picks up as race day gets closer. Im sure we'll get some more activity after the new year when peoples training plans start. Im excited!
2011-09-15 8:03 AM

User image

Orlando
I agree.  We are still 11 months out so most people who are registered probably have other big races between now and next August.  I think about 6 months out it should pick up pretty good.  Until then, it will probably be just the same hand full of us.

2011-09-26 5:16 PM

User image

Here is my scouting report: OMG there are a lot of hills out there.  I was very surprised to see how hilly the course is.  I drove one loop of the parkway today to see how everything looked.  I started at the Ross picnic area which will be the transition for the race and drove North for 27 miles and then came back on the South side where the race will actually be run.  They are closing the southbound lanes for the race.  For the one loop I drove today there was about 3000 feet of elevation gain.  I do hope they repave the roads before the race but I doubt that will happen.  The road is not the typical black asphalt but rather the type of road that has a lot of little pebbles mixed in with whatever material they build the road with.  You don't really notice it much in the car but with bike tires I imagine the vibration will get very tiring over 112 miles.  It seemed to be worse where the car tires wore down the top layer so there is one small strip in the middle of the lane that seems like it may be smoother.  I can imagine 2500 people trying to ride single file down the middle of the lane   LOL

Here is a link to my Garmin connect page with the elevation profile so you can see what it looks like:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/117324567

If you look at the elevation profile it really seems to fit this ride.  To me the ride looks like pure hell with all of the hills and when you look at the middle of the profile chart it looks like the head of a demon with the 2 horns sticking up.  At least it looked that way to me and my family. 

I brought my bike and was hoping to ride the run course today but I had to meet with a customer, which is why I was in the area, and the meeting ran a little longer than I expected.  I didn't want to ride my bike into NY to follow the run course when it was getting close to rush hour.  Next time I will try to get that for everyone.

If anyone wants any additional info I can pull the ride from my Garmin Edge and upload the file.  I am going to try to convert it to a course file I can ride on my Computrainer over the winter.

2011-09-27 6:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Good lookin data, thanks!
2011-10-01 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3701193

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
TheNoid - 2011-09-26 4:16 PM
If anyone wants any additional info I can pull the ride from my Garmin Edge and upload the file.  I am going to try to convert it to a course file I can ride on my Computrainer over the winter.

Back in July, I drove from the traffic circle above the transition area up to the PIP, then up the northbound lane, and just last week got around to converting the Edge 800 file to a Computrainer .crs file - if anyone wants a copy, just send me an IM. Even with the cumulative hills adding up to lots of elevation gain, I think they are all pretty manageable, with the definite exception of the climb up out of transition and the possible exception of the 7% climb up to exit 4 on the southbound leg of each loop, especially the 2nd one where this will be at mile 105 or so. My long rides next summer will often start with 10 minutes hard, before settling in to get used to that first 2.5 mile stretch.

I'd love to see an elevation profile for the run, please let us know when you are able to capture it.

2011-10-03 8:10 PM

Ambler, PA
Has anyone found the logistics for this race? Im trying to figure out how you leave your bike in NJ and then finish in NY. Do you get your bike the next day? Do you have to pick it up that night? I can't imagine having to leave the finish and go all the way back and get your bike that night. Im just trying to figure out my hotel etc. I didn't see anything on their website.
2011-10-03 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3710016

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

johntoth - 2011-10-04 10:10 AM Has anyone found the logistics for this race? Im trying to figure out how you leave your bike in NJ and then finish in NY. Do you get your bike the next day? Do you have to pick it up that night? I can't imagine having to leave the finish and go all the way back and get your bike that night. Im just trying to figure out my hotel etc. I didn't see anything on their website.

If I remember correctly, we drop our bikes off the day before via ferry and don't see them again until we get into T2.  I also recall it being said that athletes will pick up their bikes via ferry upon completion of the race.  don't know if they will let family members do it for you as they have in other races via a bike pick up voucher thingy (technical terms). 

No idea on hotels, toying with the idea of staying in NJ but don't know if they'll make all athletes drop their bikes off via the ferry.  Seems like a silly thing but it would be a pain to have to make that extra drive to NY to hop a ferry then drive back to NJ but you never know with these races do you? 

2011-10-03 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3710016

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
johntoth - 2011-10-03 7:10 PM

Has anyone found the logistics for this race? Im trying to figure out how you leave your bike in NJ and then finish in NY. Do you get your bike the next day? Do you have to pick it up that night? I can't imagine having to leave the finish and go all the way back and get your bike that night. Im just trying to figure out my hotel etc. I didn't see anything on their website.

The information right now says that bikes need to be retrieved by 1am Sunday morning, so it will need to be dealt with shortly after the race unless that changes. It is a safe bet that a family member will be able to do it for you, just like any other race. One thing I noticed when re-reading the info recently is that the ferries up to transition leave from the 34th street ferry terminal, which is 50 blocks south of the finish line - I had thought they would be closer together. I personally think the most convenient place to stay would be a hotel near the Javitz Convention Center, which is right next to the ferry terminal. Penn station is a short walk and you could take the 1 or 2 train from the finish line to get back to your hotel. Hopefully they will have ferries to get to transition the day before to drop off bikes, otherwise getting to Fort Lee from the city will be a PITA.

There is no getting around the fact that the logistics for this race are going to totally suck, might as well get prepared for it and accept it now. If ever there was a race to use Tri Bike Transport, this is the one.
2011-10-03 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3710071

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

coxma22 - 2011-10-04 11:06 AM
johntoth - 2011-10-03 7:10 PM Has anyone found the logistics for this race? Im trying to figure out how you leave your bike in NJ and then finish in NY. Do you get your bike the next day? Do you have to pick it up that night? I can't imagine having to leave the finish and go all the way back and get your bike that night. Im just trying to figure out my hotel etc. I didn't see anything on their website.
The information right now says that bikes need to be retrieved by 1am Sunday morning, so it will need to be dealt with shortly after the race unless that changes. It is a safe bet that a family member will be able to do it for you, just like any other race. One thing I noticed when re-reading the info recently is that the ferries up to transition leave from the 34th street ferry terminal, which is 50 blocks south of the finish line - I had thought they would be closer together. I personally think the most convenient place to stay would be a hotel near the Javitz Convention Center, which is right next to the ferry terminal. Penn station is a short walk and you could take the 1 or 2 train from the finish line to get back to your hotel. Hopefully they will have ferries to get to transition the day before to drop off bikes, otherwise getting to Fort Lee from the city will be a PITA. There is no getting around the fact that the logistics for this race are going to totally suck, might as well get prepared for it and accept it now. If ever there was a race to use Tri Bike Transport, this is the one.

Thanks Matt, I've been putting off the logistics for this race until we get back to the U.S. and after I figure out my IMTX stuff.  Good idea on staying near the Javitz.  The logistics might suck for this race but it'll be fun and that's all that really matters.

2011-10-07 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ

I googled hotels near the George Washington Bridge and the closest hotel I could find on the NJ side is a Econo Lodge.  It looks like a 1 star hotel (and I think I am being nice) but since they only have like 37 rooms I went ahead and booked a room for a few nights just to be safe.  My buddy doing the race also booked himself a room. 

Again not the nicest of Hotels but it is close to the GWB, and I have up until 8/8/2012 to cancel without being charged.

Econo LodgeAddress:

2143 Hudson Terrace
Ft. Lee, NJ 07024
(201) 944-5332
2011-10-09 5:06 PM

User image

I am booked there as well.  It is a very small hotel but it seemed somewhat clean when I went past it.  Don't expect anything fancy and you will be alright.  The nice thing is it is about a mile from transition but only because of the route you have to take to get there.  The park with transition is literally right across the street from the hotel.  There is a Fort Lee Historical park across the street from the hotel and down the cliff from there is transition.  I did not have a lot of time to explore but I didn't see any way down to the transition area from the historical park.  The visitor center was closed when I stopped by to check it out so I couldn't ask anyone if there was a way down.  If we can find a way down it would probably only be about a quarter mile or so to the transition area.  If there is not a way down we need to take the long way and walk around which is about a mile, maybe a little more.
2011-10-15 10:40 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I will be doing this race as my first IM and I am looking forward to it. Thanks to all who have posted so far, you have given some great information. I will be travelling with some friends from Ohio and we are currently looking for ideas on where to stay. I know you have posted the Econo Lodge so far as a possible but does anyone else have any ideas yet?

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2011-10-15 10:45 AM

2011-10-16 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3724964

User image

Ideally stay at one of the host hotels if you can afford it. They are usually on the expensive side but will give you the best options. They will be running shuttles from the host hotels race morning to the ferry. They have not posted which hotels will be host hotels yet but keep an eye on th website or the announcement.I chose Econolodge to keep it cheap and because it is so close to transition.There are a bunch of hotels in the area so you should not have an issue getting one but the host hotels might fill fast so. I woul keep an ey on the site.
2011-10-16 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3725938

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

TheNoid - 2011-10-17 9:37 AM Ideally stay at one of the host hotels if you can afford it. They are usually on the expensive side but will give you the best options. They will be running shuttles from the host hotels race morning to the ferry. They have not posted which hotels will be host hotels yet but keep an eye on th website or the announcement.I chose Econolodge to keep it cheap and because it is so close to transition.There are a bunch of hotels in the area so you should not have an issue getting one but the host hotels might fill fast so. I woul keep an ey on the site.

While the host hotel might be easier they'll be crazy expensive and have a minimum stay of 3-5 days.  It's NYC, there are hotels everywhere and after you get your bike to transition you can find a cab to zip you in and out of the "crazy" zone. 

I just hope there's a hot dog stand at the finish line.

2011-10-17 10:06 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
Until the logistics are clarified, I think determining the best place to stay is very difficult to figure out. As others have said, the only hotel where it will be remotely possible to walk to transition is the Econolodge, but the ability to walk down the hill through the park to transition is unknown, although I suspect it will be possible. The problem with that is it only gets you to transition - the swim start is 2.4 miles upriver from there. No matter how I rough out the distance on Google maps, I always end up in the middle of nowhere as the swim start location, meaning that it is possible that the only way to get to the barges they will anchor at swim start is off a ferry from the 34th street ferry terminal - it might not be possible to walk or take another land route. If that's true, now you have to get from Fort Lee to the ferry terminal very early on race morning. I still suspect that the easiest place to stay is going to be around the Javitz Center, or even Penn Station, but until they tell us more, it is a complete guessing game.
2011-10-23 8:04 PM

User image

Williamstown, South Jersey

Hello Everyone, Quick introduction as I will be joining you next year.

I'd like to thank Obrats for catching me at a moment of weekness and talking me into to signing up.

Looking forward to another year of trainging!

Fred

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27