General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road rage guy around here Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-17 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: Road rage guy around here
Hi - this is a bit of an essay so bear with me. Some of you probably know this from my workout log, but over the past year or so, I have gotten honked at and buzzed by the same guy (I ride to work on occassion and (I suppose he takes the same route home as I do). This is no funny buzzing or friendly honking but HOOOONK and whoosh so close that your bike moves from the wind. Anyway, it happened again the other day and I told a friend (who is a cyclist) about it. He then forwarded me an email/post from a cycling group's blog about someeting similar that had happened to several guys he rides with. Anyway, it is the same guy! I have seen him tailgating cars and buzzing through stopsigns when I am in my car. He is VERY aggressive to cars as well (not sure why that makes me feel a little better...guess I don't feel quite as targeted). Anyway, he drives a green 2007 Tundra and lives out on 751 somewhere. His business is just north of Alexander Dr in RTP, on Route 55, so his commute takes him down 55, up O'Kelley Chapel, through Amberley, past Cary Park and out to the berry patch on Morrisville Parkway- a route that many of us ride. This guy is really bad news- apparently the cycling group took out a restraining order on him and he has been arrested for vehicular assault (or something of that nature) a few years ago. Apparently he feels that cyclist are arrogant and should die! Sadly, we know his business address, his car, his name, etc. but it still doesn't make us any safer, so please be careful. I am actually modifying my route home and time I leave work so that I can reduce the chance of running into him. Bike vs Tundra = loss for the bike. So again, please be careful.

2011-06-17 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3554395

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Road rage guy around here

Thanks for the heads up Louis. It might be an opportunity to wear one of those mini video-cams and get his actions on tape. I saw one where the cyclist was wearing a front and rear mounted camera and the evidence of the driver and passenger's actions was good enough for the police to make an arrest.

Doug

2011-06-17 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3554508

User image

Extreme Veteran
DougRob - 2011-06-17 2:04 PM

Thanks for the heads up Louis. It might be an opportunity to wear one of those mini video-cams and get his actions on tape. I saw one where the cyclist was wearing a front and rear mounted camera and the evidence of the driver and passenger's actions was good enough for the police to make an arrest.

Doug

I've thought about that actually. I thought a bunch of other stuff too! LOL

2011-06-17 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Before you change your route, I would see if you can replace all his valve stems with Presta valve stems. 

This is procedure for that:

1 - Cut off valve stems.

2 - Insert used presta valve into hole

3 - didn't work?  Huh.  My bad.

4 - change route home

Edited by bgraboski 2011-06-17 1:37 PM
2011-06-17 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3554582

User image

Extreme Veteran
bgraboski - 2011-06-17 2:37 PM

Before you change your route, I would see if you can replace all his valve stems with Presta valve stems. 

This is procedure for that:

1 - Cut off valve stems.

2 - Insert used presta valve into hole

3 - didn't work?  Huh.  My bad.

4 - change route home

Love it!

2011-06-17 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3554739

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Modify your route and stay away from him. But there needs to be much more done. This is obviously no joke... this guy is using deadly force and should be stopped. He is literally going to seriously injure or kill someone.

I would even say start carrying...yes, you read that right. I have had one guy buzz me intentionally so far and it was all I could do to literally not beat the ever living crap out of him. I honestly would have probably killed him. He actually stopped when I yelled at him for almost hitting me. I have ZERO tolerance for this ..... I will not be threatened on the road without consequences if I have any chance to do something. That being said I try to limit my exposure as much as possible. Also, riders must obey traffic rules ( we don't lots of times and that just fuels the fire ) but vehicular traffic cant just get angry and actually threaten cyclists, WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES. Enough of this $ #$%@. .... yes this strikes a nerve.........can you tell.

I wish you luck. There is right and there is wrong. Doing WHATEVER it takes to stop him from doing this is right, end of story. Not advocating physical violence but think about it...he is using much more than physical violence against you. Sure this reeks of vigilantiism (is that a word ?), but ACTION MUST be taken.

Edited by tri42 2011-06-17 5:23 PM

2011-06-17 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Carolina
louiskie - 2011-06-17 1:17 PM Hi - this is a bit of an essay so bear with me. Some of you probably know this from my workout log, but over the past year or so, I have gotten honked at and buzzed by the same guy (I ride to work on occassion and (I suppose he takes the same route home as I do). This is no funny buzzing or friendly honking but HOOOONK and whoosh so close that your bike moves from the wind. Anyway, it happened again the other day and I told a friend (who is a cyclist) about it. He then forwarded me an email/post from a cycling group's blog about someeting similar that had happened to several guys he rides with. Anyway, it is the same guy! I have seen him tailgating cars and buzzing through stopsigns when I am in my car. He is VERY aggressive to cars as well (not sure why that makes me feel a little better...guess I don't feel quite as targeted). Anyway, he drives a green 2007 Tundra and lives out on 751 somewhere. His business is just north of Alexander Dr in RTP, on Route 55, so his commute takes him down 55, up O'Kelley Chapel, through Amberley, past Cary Park and out to the berry patch on Morrisville Parkway- a route that many of us ride. This guy is really bad news- apparently the cycling group took out a restraining order on him and he has been arrested for vehicular assault (or something of that nature) a few years ago. Apparently he feels that cyclist are arrogant and should die! Sadly, we know his business address, his car, his name, etc. but it still doesn't make us any safer, so please be careful. I am actually modifying my route home and time I leave work so that I can reduce the chance of running into him. Bike vs Tundra = loss for the bike. So again, please be careful.

Thanks for totally scaring the crap out of me for my ride this weekend Louis.....I wonder if he knows the guy that pulled the knife on me a few weeks ago?

2011-06-17 7:53 PM

Regular
Raleigh

I was down on the OBX for the Memorial Day weekend and rode from Nags Head to the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center and back (not a long ride, just 25 miles or so).   The NCDOT have done a nice job of widening and re-paving the road down through the Cape Hatteras National Seashore - it's now nice and wide.

Never-the-less I was deliberately "buzzed" three times in just 25 miles.  In each case it was a truck with VA plates full of young guys.   I have someone come close now an again and it pisses me off, but this is the first time I have felt deliberately targeted.   Scary stuff - something needs to be done about these morons!

2011-06-17 9:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yeah, the thing that gets me on this one is that it is repeated and this guy has had charges filed against him! He is a business owner...you would think he would worry at least that it would affect his business? Plus he is an older guy (around 60 or so), so not just a punky kid. He has some issues! 

Jon, did that guy have a green tundra? Licence XPY8827 (yeah, I wrote it down and sadly now know it). He generally is only on these roads around here when he commutes during the week- I have never seen him on the weekend but yeah, it sucks because this is exactly the route I suggested to you and Janelle (I had not seen our "friend" in months so I thought it was OK). It is a nice route with some solid hills. The road that he seems to always find me on is WIDE and almost traffic-free so it is not like I am even remotely in his way. It is through a planned neighborhood that had some financing issues so the infrustructure is in, but the people are not, so it is great for riding...except that el guappo is lurking.

As for the rest of it, if someone runs you down from behind, there is not much you can do! Pretty scary. Anyway, we'll continue to get buzzed...just hope it sticks to that. Train hard and safe everyone.

2011-06-17 10:47 PM

User image

Charlotte, NC
And people think I am crazy because I carry a gun wherever I go. Let me just go roll my eyes. He probably doesn't care (sure sign of a ) but his aggression can easily turn into vehicular homicide, or worse. Obviously the restraining order didn't help. Maybe it's time to find a cycle-friendly cop to break his balls. You can always request that a police officer monitor the stretch of road he drives aggressively on. Hopefully someone puts a stop to this guy's mess before he kills someone.
2011-06-18 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3555202

User image

Master
baxt3r - 2011-06-17 11:47 PM

And people think I am crazy because I carry a gun wherever I go. Let me just go roll my eyes. He probably doesn't care (sure sign of a ) but his aggression can easily turn into vehicular homicide, or worse. Obviously the restraining order didn't help. Maybe it's time to find a cycle-friendly cop to break his balls. You can always request that a police officer monitor the stretch of road he drives aggressively on. Hopefully someone puts a stop to this guy's mess before he kills someone.

X 2. There must be something else that can be done. Get media involved ? Take info. to prosecutor ? The helmet cam thingy is a good idea too. This is extremely troubling and it can not be over-exaggerated how serious this is. He needs to be made an example of, in a most public way.

The more I think about it the more I think getting the media involved might be a good option.

Edited by tri42 2011-06-18 6:36 AM

2011-06-18 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Thanks for the heads up, Louis. I'm very glad you're okay after encountering that d-bag!
2011-06-18 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3555574

User image

Master
I know I'm sounding like a broken record but I'm becoming more and more infuriated by this. Multiple, documented occurrences of using deadly force against cyclists. Please don't let him slide, meaning do something until definitive action is taken to stop him. He needs a visit.....
2011-06-18 4:43 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I have a friend that is a Cary policeman and an off and on BTer. I am going to contact him to get his ideas.

Doug

2011-06-18 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Amazing what you can do with google. I did a search on the road rage guy and he has two arrests over the past 3 years. Actually, the really freaky thing is that he was actually charged on June 15th (ie., last week!), according to the Herald Sun website. He last buzzed me on May 31. Anyway, here are the two reports I found (I changed his name to ROAD RAGE GUY...not sure why but it seemed appropriate for some reason):

October 1 (2008) ROAD RAGE GUY, 60, of _____ Apex was arrested by Deputy Raymond Morgan for two counts of Simple Assault after a vehicle crash. Mr. ROAD RAGE GUY was released on a $1,000.00 unsecure bond and is scheduled to appear in Pittsboro District Court on October 16 (2008).

ROAD RAGE GUY, 63, of _______, Apex, was arrested on June 15 by Chatham County Sheriff's Office Cpl. Rodney West on charges of assault with a deadly weapon. ROAD RAGE GUY was released under a written promise to be in court and is scheduled to appear in Durham County District Court in Durham on June 30, 2011.

2011-06-18 6:21 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Might be worth contacting the Court and finding out the time of his hearing. The DA might be interested in hearing your testimony as he is a repeat offender. They may not take it seriously as there is 3 years between his incidents. They may take it more seriously knowing that he has done this more times than the 2 times he has been caught.

2011-06-18 9:56 PM

New user
Raleigh NC

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on this. Doug left me a Voicemail about this. And I am a Police Officer in a jurisdiction near where this is taking place, (I cannot confirm or deny if its Cary). After reading through the posts. The best advise I could give is with the information you have.. Plate- vehicle and operator description take it to either the Wake County Magistrate's Office (if your in WC when he drives in this manner) or Chatham County if it occurs there and you can take out the charges against him.

-While you have the same rights to the roadway as a vehicle you obviously know a car wins every time. And based on what you've described I'm not so sure if god for bid he hits someone he would stop.

- If there's a certain part of the route that this is a common occurance contact the agency that has jurisdiction to see if they would sit out there and observe his actions.

The law enforcement problem is that under normal circumstances an officer can't take action unless he sees the violation. Similar to road rage incidents of Vehicle vs. Vehicle.

Keep in mind even though the charges you listed are very serious, the justice system is "just a system" and he may get a slap on the wrist but if he continues eventually the courts may take more serious action.

I hope some if this may help. 

2011-06-18 10:09 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Thanks for responding Brian!
2011-06-18 11:21 PM

User image

Charlotte, NC
The unfortunate thing is that one day someone will put this joker in his place...and will then be handled by the system more severely than this guy. It just seems to work that way.
2011-06-20 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3556046

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks Brian (and others) for your thoughts. They just opened a Cary police substation near my house. My neighbors have mentioned that the officer in charge is pretty receptive to discussion and wants to really be a part of the community so I might stop in and talk it through. I also like the idea of getting in touch with the DA. I just would not want this guy to know I am the guy who testified against him since he is in a large vehicle and I am on my little bike!
2011-06-20 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3556046

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh, one more thing for Brian: this takes place right along that region that spans Chatham/ Wake/ Durham counties- you sort of cross over from RTP into Durham Co, into Wake, then into Chatham. When in Wake it is West Cary.

2011-06-20 11:01 AM

New user
Raleigh NC

If he still doesn't get it and while your out he does it again it wouldn't take much to convince a judge and jury of an intimidating witness charge.  With regard to the posts about carrying a firearm, it is your Constitutional right but wouldn't suggest it. They're not very aero. 

If you don't know what his upcoming court date is you can google "NC court calendars" and type in his name as a defendant.

§ 14-226.  Intimidating or interfering with witnesses.

(a)        If any person shall by threats, menaces or in any other manner intimidate or attempt to intimidate any person who is summoned or acting as a witness in any of the courts of this State, or prevent or deter, or attempt to prevent or deter any person summoned or acting as such witness from attendance upon such court, he shall be guilty of a Class H felony.

(b)        A defendant in a criminal proceeding who threatens a witness in the defendant's case with the assertion or denial of parental rights shall be in violation of this section.

2011-06-20 11:43 PM

Unfortunately, I too get buzzed a little too often, never by the guy mentioned, but plenty in the backroads of Cary/Apex/Jordan lake area.  I really feel that there are those that adopted or already subscribe to the 'run them off the rode mentality' that Bob and the Showgrams advocated for in 2003.

Perhaps the best thing to do is ask for help, and see if the Police can post a car to look for this.  I know if they sit on Tingen often enough on Friday before dark, and Saturday midday they'll get to ticket a group of motorcyclists doing 100+

Edited by bchicks 2011-06-20 11:44 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road rage guy around here Rss Feed