General Discussion Race Reports! » HSBC Triathlon Series. Half IronDistance Triathlon. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HSBC Triathlon Series. Half IronDistance Triathlon. - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
welland, Ontario
Canada
25C / 77F
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 59m 28s
Overall Rank = 204/305
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30, ate breakfast, drove to Welland, got my stuff, set up my rack and got into my wetsuit
Event warmup:

brief open warm up in the water, probably around 50 m to get the blood flowing.
Swim
  • 34m 50s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

There are some fast swimmers in my age group. My overall % placement including men is better than my placement in my age group, which normally doesn't happen with girls. (two of the women were also former pros). I'm happy with my swim. It took :27 seconds longer than last year, but last year was definitely a shorter course (the turn bouys were not as far past the bridge). Overall very happy with my swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I could spend an extra day in the pool a week and shave maybe a minute off my swim time, but for me, that time is better spent running or biking.
Transition 1
  • 04m 24s
Comments:

Transition time includes 400 m run to transition area. Did this barefooted. Ouch. Lots of gravel. I'm happy with my time here, actual transition time was 1:50, which meets my goal of <2 minutes

Nothing, I'm happy with that time, especially for a longer race where you don't want to forget anything in transition.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 13s
  • 90 kms
  • 29.96 km/hr
Comments:

I AVERAGED 30 km/hour in a race!!!!! that just about sums it up for me. Great ride for me. I didn't particularly like the wind changing directions in the middle of the race. What was up with that? At least the wind wasn't too strong. Comming back up feeder road kind of sucked though. I was keeping the pressure on the entire time though since I wanted to keep my pace at 30 km/hr

nothing. This met and exceeded my expectation. I was hoping for 3:00 but figured that 3:05 was more realistic and might still be pushing it. so I'm super happy.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Good transition for me again, but forgot to turn on my foot pod until just out of transition. Oops.

I think I would have had a bottle to carry on the run. I didn't want to have to carry anything, but in hindsight, it probaby would have helped on the run.
Run
  • 2h 18m 40s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 34s  min/km
Comments:

First half went well, right on track for the time I thought I could get. The next quarter I was holding on, but it was tough, I started slipping a little bit, but the last 5K were a death march. I remember at one point willing myself not to faint or throw up and a bunch of times calculating how fast I needed to run to come in under 6 hours. timed it well and kept myself upright and paced to come in under 6 hours which was my ultimate goal. I'm capable of running a much faster half marathon than this. In my three half irons, I have yet to be able to piece together a decent run time. I need to figure that one out before I do my next one. At the finish line I felt like fainting or throwing up or both. In hindsight, I probably should have gone to the med tent. I think I was probably severely dehydrated despite drinking two cups of water at every aid station. It took me several hours to have to go pee and even then it was way too dark. meh.

I don't know. I need to figure this out.
Post race
Warm down:

get some bananas, drink some chocolate milk, lay down in transition with my towel over me, shivering. Get changed, drink lots, eat a burger (finally feeling better about an hour after finishing), drive home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

????? Like I said above, I need to figure that part out. I was on pace to run 2:10 and I should have been able to do that no problem. Didn't work out that way for me. (To give you an idea, I death marched to 2:15 at the toronto half in may, with a chest infection in the worst race of my life - I had been training for 2:00).

Event comments:

My complaints from last year were taken care of, so I was happy with that. Crappy drink choice - Heed on bike and run course. It might be a good product, but it isn't readily available to be able to train with, so I did my own thing.

Overall I'm very happy with my time, just dissappointed in my run time. My lifetime half IM goal time was 6:00, and I'm thinking that I can definitely take a good chunk of time off what I did this week with some more bike training, dropping a few pounds and figuring out what happens to me on these runs. I'd say I felt better on the IM run than I did on Sunday.

Last updated: 2011-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:50 | 2000 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 60/305
Performance: Average
max heart rate around 163.
Suit: nineteen full sleeve
Course: welland canal. Flat, easy swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:00:13 | 90 kms | 29.96 km/hr
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 217/305
Performance: Good
pretty steady between 163 and 167
Wind: Little
Course: Lollipop shaped. Flat and fast.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:18:40 | 21.1 kms | 06m 34s  min/km
Age Group: 11/12
Overall: 241/305
Performance: Below average
HR started in zone 3 and creeped up to low zone 4 by around the half way mark. Perfect right? except that I started to feel like Sh!t shortly afterwards
Course: short out and back section with an second out and back (repeated twice) on mostly shaded path by the canal
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-28 8:43 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: HSBC Triathlon Series. Half IronDistance Triathlon.

2011-06-29 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3572004

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: RE: HSBC Triathlon Series. Half IronDistance Triathlon.

Congrats on going sub 6, and beating me by <1'.  Yes, I'm probably in some of your pix, the one that can't even walk in a straight line and looks like she's going to keel over any second.  I lost count how many people passed me just the last km while I was walking.  Having said that, 6hr for a half is sth we can both be very proud of. 

2011-06-29 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3572004

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: HSBC Triathlon Series. Half IronDistance Triathlon.
Nice work!!!  Even with the 'death march' as you put it you totally rocked it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HSBC Triathlon Series. Half IronDistance Triathlon. Rss Feed