General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How many vegans out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-12-19 10:15 PM
in reply to: #3598542

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Subject: RE: How many vegans out there?

I'm a little late to the party, but wanted to say hi.

I've been vegan for about a year and a half.  Before that, I was vegetarian.

I'm a marathoner-turned-triathlete and am currently training for the DC Rock n Roll Marathon in March and my first Ironman in September (HITS Cooperstown full).

I've loved exploring new foods and cooking for non-vegan/vegetarian friends and family.  It's great to see them enjoying something they might not have tried otherwise.  And MAN is the food good!

Looking forward to chatting with other veggie triathletes!

Also, I'd love to know more about the fruitarian diet too.  I don't know if it's something I could sustain, but I heard about it a long time ago and am still very curious.

2011-12-19 11:07 PM
in reply to: #3945237

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
ReginaPhalange72 - 2011-12-19 10:15 PM
Also, I'd love to know more about the fruitarian diet too.  I don't know if it's something I could sustain, but I heard about it a long time ago and am still very curious.

I am generally raw vegan for my first couple meals of the day. I find it makes me feel lighter and cleaner, plus eating a bunch of fruit does not produce dirty dishes :p Dinner is usually something cooked.
2012-01-02 8:23 AM

User image

Regular
Saipan, MP

Hooray!  So glad to know I won't be alone in my vegetarian-going-vegan-while-training world! Laughing

I've tried BB's Chocolate Vega protein and couldn't stand the stuff - but my hubby loves it.  So, I'm letting him finish off that tub and am in search of a different type for me.

2012-01-02 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3965972

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Veggie Kate - 2012-01-02 9:23 AM

Hooray!  So glad to know I won't be alone in my vegetarian-going-vegan-while-training world! Laughing

I've tried BB's Chocolate Vega protein and couldn't stand the stuff - but my hubby loves it.  So, I'm letting him finish off that tub and am in search of a different type for me.

I'm a huge fan of the Spiru-tein Chocolate.  Just make sure you don't get the one with the whey in it - they make two kinds.

Ever tried a green monster?  They're the best.

2012-01-02 12:06 PM

User image

Leesburg,

Hello there.  Raw vegan here.     Just sayin' hi.  Got a Vitamix and a dehydrator ~~ makes life infinitely simpler.  I do a lot of seeds & nuts for protein.  At first it was a little strange not doing beans & rice, but now it's okay.  The toughest thing of all for me was beer.  But now it's gone, too, and I'm all the better for it.

Training for Great Floridian on October 20, 2012.

Nice to meet everyone. 

~~ kate

Edited by Irnwmn 2012-01-02 12:13 PM
2012-01-02 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3966024

User image

Regular
Saipan, MP
ReginaPhalange72 - 2012-01-02 9:48 AM

I'm a huge fan of the Spiru-tein Chocolate.  Just make sure you don't get the one with the whey in it - they make two kinds.

Haven't heard of those - I will definitely have to look into it!

2012-01-02 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3967018

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Veggie Kate - 2012-01-02 7:44 PM
ReginaPhalange72 - 2012-01-02 9:48 AM

Haven't heard of those - I will definitely have to look into it!

Best.thing.EVER.  The idea is that raw spinach has no flavor, so you make a smoothie (whatever you like) and include a cup or two of raw spinach.  It comes out bright green and looks bizarre, but you don't taste the spinach at all and it's great for you.

Check out www.ohsheglows.com.  Everything she makes is amazing.

2012-01-03 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3967026

User image

Regular
Saipan, MP
I am a HUGE fan of green smoothies!!  I already add all kinds of greens to them, but it doesn't hurt to get an extra kick!!  I wonder what else you could add it to... maybe here and there in soups as well... hmmm....
2012-01-03 12:09 PM

User image

Leesburg,

Thanks for the link, Regina.  Looks really good ... the rawer the better!

~~ kate

2012-01-03 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3968298

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Irnwmn - 2012-01-03 1:09 PM

Thanks for the link, Regina.  Looks really good ... the rawer the better!

~~ kate

Enjoy!  I also made some homemade larabars that came out great.  It's in my blog: http://geonerdette.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/homemade-larabars/

Dates RULE.

I need to make more of these soon.

2012-01-21 11:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Ive basically turned vegan against my will! My wife had some significant food allergies/insensitivities and I thought her test results were cool and figured I would get a food allergy and a Spectracell test done. It has been a wild ride since then! Im glad that we have been making some major changes in our diets for health reasons, but my test came back saying I had insensitivities to:

* Nuts
* Dairy
* Beef
* Soy
* Gluten

So what does that make me?! Makes me a picky eater, thats for sure. We still eat fish and chicken (so I guess that disqualifies from the vegan conversation (or vegetarian for that matter), but its lots of green smoothies, sprouted grains, gluten free bread, fruits/vegetables. It makes my performance nutrition difficult too because anything with whey/soy protein or nuts (powerbars etc). Ive tried a bunch of Brendan Brazier's recipes and enjoy them, but doubt I will be carrying homebrew bars with me on race day.

We've been migrating onto this diet over the past 2 or 3 months and the major problem I have now is rumbling stomach/bloating/gas. To the point where I need to start keeping a diary of what I eat and how it makes me feel so I can find a way to narrow my intake closer to race day to things that sit on my stomach. Any tips to help settle it down?

2012-01-22 5:59 AM
in reply to: #4003999

User image

Leesburg,
Check out Rip Esselstyn's Engine 2 diet.  He's a former pro Ironman.  His dad is Caldwell Esselstyn, of Forks Over Knives fame.  Neither uses nuts, and it would be easy enough to cut out wheat, since neither uses processed grain.  Good luck.  DH has been eating very strictly along those lines for 7 months due to heart issues.  He's lost 70 pounds and gained back his life.  I'm doing it too with occasional nuts for protein and oil for taste, lost 50 lbs and training well now.  Stomach-wise, I think you'll find that as your gastrointestinal tract becomes acclimated to the new more earth-based diet it will calm down of its own accord, although the cruciferous veggies (cabbage, broccoli, kale) tend to still cause issues for me.  Let us know how it goes!
2012-01-23 7:50 AM

User image

Regular
South AL
I have just finished reading The Engine 2 Diet, and it is awesome. I plan on doing the 28 day challenge in February. I am currently cleaning out the refrigerator and cabinets, therefore, consuming the remaining cheese that I have. There are also lots of good recipes in this book, and they are not very complicated either.
2012-01-23 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4005430

User image

Leesburg,

His website is pretty cool, too.  www.engine2diet.com.  Lots and lots of helpful stuff in the "tools and support" section.  I've moved on to raw vegan, but that's pretty much where we started our most excellent adventure.  Best of luck.

2012-02-23 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3966024

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
ReginaPhalange72 - 2012-01-02 7:48 AM
Veggie Kate - 2012-01-02 9:23 AM

I like Vega's berry flavored powder for my green smoothies.

I felt my best a couple years ago when I went on a raw diet for a few weeks -- asthma and arrhythmia completely gone and I lost weight.  Didn't feel I could sustain it tho and eventually ended up on a slightly healthier version of the standard american diet.  Now that I'm 20# overweight and asthma and arrhythmia are back I'm going to try mostly-raw mostly-vegan (not giving up the occassional fish).  And no wine Frown  I think that will be the hardest!

Edited by runswMoose 2012-02-23 2:17 PM
2012-03-10 6:59 AM

User image

Ann Arbor

I've not been to this site for over a year and when i come back there's a vegan thread near the top! Yay!

I too have been been vegan for just over half of my life. I went vegan as a teen (straight from eating meat) back in 1994, and I've not looked back since. I now have two kids and a wife, and we're all vegan. 

I'm mostly a swimmer/water polo player who has success in triathlons. I've managed to stay in the top 5% of US amateurs in Triathlons and make it to the Top Ten in US master swimming a few times over the years. I'm not Rip Essylten from the Engine2 Diet, but I am quick happy with what I've done. 

I do prefer the term "vegan" to other terms. I am vegan not for my health, but for animal rights reasons. I feel that I could eat almost any diet and stay healthy and thrive, and i find it easy to thrive as a vegan, and so do my kids and wife. However, a vegan diet doesn't necessarily equal health. For me, veganism is more than just what I eat, since I also avoid leather/wool/silk and products that have animal derived ingredients (including avoiding certain bike tire companies). It isn't just about what I eat. I also do not think that my veganism is the sole way to change the world, or that my boycotting certain companies will get them to change... but I do sure like saying that I'm VEGAN and then winning the race. 

2012-04-22 5:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Another veggie  to add to the list.

My transition to a plant-based diet was gradual. Fifteen years ago I began eating organics and reducing the amount of animal products consumed. Seven years ago, I became strictly vegetarian. AFter finding the Thrive diet, I have been 90 percent vegan. 

Training and racing with this diet has taken some planning- especially in the area of protein intake. Vega whole food optimizer ( what a long name) makes it easier.

BTW: Vega is having a 50% off sale this week.

2012-04-27 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Anyone get Runner's World mag? They have a feature in this month's issue on Scott Jurek and him being a vegan ultramarathoner. I've already ordered his book from the library. (Kinda of excited, since I just finished "Born to Run" and when I read he was vegan, thought it was kinda awesome).
2012-04-30 6:33 AM
in reply to: #4177183

User image

Ann Arbor

swishyskirt - 2012-04-27 3:06 PM Anyone get Runner's World mag? They have a feature in this month's issue on Scott Jurek and him being a vegan ultramarathoner.

I don't get that magazine, but I'll go and read it now that I know! Thanks.

2012-05-08 4:25 PM

There is a lot of great information in this thread, especially for a meat eater looking to turn herbivore (me!).  I also am surprised at the overall attitude of you folks.  Most of the vegans I have met have a holier than thou attitude about their eating habits, so it is good to read about people who aren't preachy about what should and shouldn't be consumed or what we should and shouldn't use.  Thank you all for the insight.  I have a better understanding of what I need to do now, and a renewed energy to make it past (no laughing please) my first week with no meat and no dairy. 

Also, thanks for helping me find this thread Lisa.

2012-05-08 11:01 PM
in reply to: #4198279

User image

Regular
Saipan, MP
1234run - 2012-05-08 5:25 PM

There is a lot of great information in this thread, especially for a meat eater looking to turn herbivore (me!).  I also am surprised at the overall attitude of you folks.  Most of the vegans I have met have a holier than thou attitude about their eating habits, so it is good to read about people who aren't preachy about what should and shouldn't be consumed or what we should and shouldn't use.  Thank you all for the insight.  I have a better understanding of what I need to do now, and a renewed energy to make it past (no laughing please) my first week with no meat and no dairy. 

Also, thanks for helping me find this thread Lisa.

No food police here   Good luck on your first vegan week!!  It's an adjustment, but one that has helped me feel better. 

2012-05-09 9:14 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

My sister gave me this cookbook for Christmas and I have LOVED everything I've made from it:
Appetite for Reduction - she is also the author of Veganomicon

And on my list is to buy
Skinny B: the ultimate everyday cookbook 
I read the regular "Skinny B" book and loved it, except for the "Coffee is for puzzies" chapter.

2012-05-15 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Wheaton, IL
I have had a similar response to some of you that have posted. I would say that I am 30% vegan, 60% vegetarian, and 10% conformist. I notice that I sleep better and recover quicker when I eat a plant-based diet. I have not noticed any training loss from eating vegan and feel like I have less cravings when I eat fruits/veggies/whole grains.

However, I was getting myself in the doghouse by cooking seperate vegan meals for myself and "regular" meals for the family. My wife grew up on meat and potatoes, so I knew that trying to get her to change her habits was not the best approach. Fortunately, my family has become more receptive to plantpower after discussions over eating organic and the new research on what processed food really includes. I now make meals that emphasize fruits/vegetables/whole grains and then make side-dishes that accommodate their requests(usually meat).

I enjoyed Brendan Brazier's book, Thrive, but could not balance his recipes with our lifestyle. I have found that Rich Roll's insight on plantpower to be extremely helpful. Rich's practices and philosophies tend to be more manageable when juggling work, family, kids, training, etc.

Good luck and thanks for sharing your experiences.
2012-05-15 7:54 PM

User image

New user

Canyon Lake
I have been vegan for 6 months. It was a very easy transition. I eat about 30-40% raw foods. The best part I have noticed is I feel great,and am able to eat thousands of calories a day. Never having an upset stomach, or queasy feelings make for better training!
2012-05-21 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks for the cool thread and helpful posts, everyone! Am currently an omnivore, but will be trying veganism this summer when I'm teaching abroad for 5 weeks-- seemed an ideal time to try it, as I won't have to clear out a fridge beforehand! I'm waiting for Jurek's book to come out next month; any other awesome cookbooks or resource books people can recommend?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How many vegans out there? Rss Feed  

of 4