Musselman Triathlon
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 38/55
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Where to start? I registered for the HIM expecting I'd be able to run by now. That plan didn't work out and life increased in complexity enough during the interim that training for long distances just wasn't an option.

I've also come to the realization that I meed to give up long distance triathlon, at least for a few years. I've detailed this in my blog, but what it comes down to is that I got into triathlon as a means to get fit. During the ensuing seven years, I've kind of lost that motivation. It's become more about going longer, chasing times etc. I call it "triathlon creep". Also during that time, BT and everything else in my life has become more demanding on my time. Something had to give and it was generally training. So, I've decided to go back to doing short distances and put my focus on triathlon for fitness.

So this was my last long race for a while.

As to the actual pre-race, I went into this with nowhere near enough sleep. Again, because trying to do too much.

Swim
  • 48m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was expecting a 50 minute swim, so this is no surprise. It's actually kind of cool to know that I can do this with essentially no swim training.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

Took my time
Bike
  • 3h 26m 51s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, pretty much what I expected. It was faster than the training rides on the course at least. I didn't have a watch or HRM or bike computer so I had no idea what my pace was during this ride. Didn't particularly care, just wanted to keep a consistent moderate effort going. Made sure I drank constantly.

Felt fine for most of it, but I started to feel the heat towards the end. A headache was starting to come on too.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water, then got my stuff out of transition to bring to the van. I had a coke on ice in there that I was craving pretty badly. My plan was to put my racing stuff in the van, get the cooler and chairs and wait for Dud and Ken to come in.

Once I got there, I realized I could turn the van on and sit in the AC for a bit to cool off. Once I did that I realized that going back out to sit in the heat and sun just wasn't an option. Couldn't do it.

Drank ridiculous amounts of liquid. Once my appetite came back it did so in force. I ate a lot over the rest of the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Long distance triathlon just isn't a priority for me any longer so the training for it doesn't happen. I still love S/B/R but not long distance. I have too many other competing priorities and when I have long workouts scheduled and time is tight I end up bypassing the workout altogether. On the other hand, when it's a short workout on the calendar I'm more likely to do it.

I got into this for fitness, so it's back to that. I'm going to train for Sprints maybe an Oly and focus on fitness rather than trying to train for races that I don't have time for.

Onward!

Event comments:

The Musselman is one of the best weekends of races you can do.

Last updated: 2011-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:34 | 2112 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 52/
Overall: 7/55
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:26:51 | 56 miles | 16.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/
Overall: 6/55
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-18 9:02 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: Musselman Aquabike

2011-07-18 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3601365

User image

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
Subject: RE: Musselman Aquabike

I totally hear you. For me it was a combination of injury and lack of time that drove me away from long distance. And you know what? No regrets. I still s/b/r for fitness and fun but it's not all consuming. I see my family alot more and put the priority on them. Sprints and Oly's are fun and I never feel bad about taking a day off. The long stuff will always be there to go back to. Wish you the best.

2011-07-18 5:01 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I had seen your thoughts on longer distance a couple days before the race.  Thank you for putting them out there.  Sprints and olys are fun for fitness, distance events will be there if and when priorities change.

Very cool you were within your predicted swim time on little training.

2011-07-18 7:04 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-07-19 9:03 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Considering the obstacles you had to overcome this year you had a very solid day out there, not to mention the heat! 

I always look forward to Musselman weekend as the morning at the aid station is just as much fun (in some ways more fun) than the race on Sunday! 

I don't blame you for staying in the A/C, I am pretty sure if the shoe was on the other foot, I would have done the same. 

Get your foot fixed and we will hit the running races this fall and winter!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Aquabike Rss Feed