of 3

2011-07-19 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3602589

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: I'm slow

Welcome to my world.

I use the term "plodding elephant" to describe my running; "semi-beached whale" to describe my swimming; and "just trying to stay upright" on my bike.

I am just happy when I finish ahead of my shadow.

And I am a "participant" not a "competitor" - and love it. The closest I will ever get to the podium is to be the guy who wipes the dust or water off of it so the FOP's don't slip getting up there.

I too am very happy with the fact that I seldom know where to find the remote control, even though I am the only one in the house.

2011-07-19 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3602852

User image

Master

Jon bovi - 2011-07-18 8:14 PM Speed takes time. 

I think the time space continuum just split wide open here.

2011-07-19 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3603081

User image

Veteran
SE TX

First, to the OP: I looked at your RRs and I call BS. You are not slow. You swim faster than me, and I always beat SOMEONE on the swim. Your bike splits would be MOP in the sprints around here, as would your more recent run times. It looks like you have come a LONG way in your running. GOOD JOB! Also, look at it this way: 1) All those people you passed at the end of your runs wish they could finish as strong as you; and 2) There is no shame in being slower than someone else, whatever your speed. You are setting goals, meeting them, and crushing some huge personal barriers along the way.

tacozilla - 2011-07-18 10:04 PM Since we are talking about how slow we are...I cut 11 minutes off my fastest 500 yd swim time in the sprint I did this weekend...and still was 3rd to last in my age group (40/42)! 

To tacozilla: I saw your Shadow Creek results. Excellent! Great progress this year for you. Looking forward to riding w/you again sometime.

2011-07-19 10:38 AM

User image

Runner
I guess I question the need to label oneself based on a wholly subjective thing like speed.

I would never call myself fast or slow. I don't even call my training fast or slow. What is "fast"? What is "slow"? As has been evidenced in this thread alone time and again, these terms are so relative as to have meaning only to the individual, and they are not even really qualitative measures.

Labels limit us. I no more want to call myself fast as I would want to call myself slow. I am neither. I am just a person out there pushing myself to see what I am capable of, and how that stacks up against other people and against what I did last time.

Take pride in what you've done, but don't get caught up in trying to qualify it with some descriptor. If you go out and do your best, then be happy with the effort you've put forth, in your training and racing.
2011-07-19 11:34 AM

User image

Melon Presser

High flipper! Me too!!

I've been DFL in two of my races. Neither were anywhere near being my first races, either.

But I'm always going to be fast compared to somebody and slow compared to somebody, until I morph into Macca or something.

Remember, people aren't going to post about how SLOW they are*, so it can seem, even on a site very welcoming to beginner triathletes, most people are whizzing along and doing amazing stuff. And they are. Just don't forget the silent majority.

I call my current running "zombie death shuffle."

*Except for me, I started the DFL thread a while back. Maybe it needs resurrection?

2011-07-19 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3603317

User image

Champion
Taser-World
nicoleg - 2011-07-19 7:53 AM

Most people walk faster than I run. In fact, I can walk faster than I can run.

I'm so here ^^^. My "run" pace is slower than my "walk" pace.....

To the OP: I just looked at your log, and it said you ran 3.32 miles yesterday at "10m 32s/Mi". Your training pace is WAY faster than my "racing" pace! I'd have been really happy to have gotten that pace at the 5k I did last month.... And the other day, you rode 20.75 miles at a pace of 16.43 Mi/hr. That, also, is way faster than I could have done it.... But OK, I could take you on the swim.

2011-07-19 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran

Thanks everyone... when I first came here last year I would read every race report, and they were ALWAYS way above anything I could do, it bothered me at the time, but now I just know that speed takes time, I'm not patient but I'm getting there. 

I have only been DFL in the one race that I organized with 4 friends. And actually I did beat the guy that gave up after the swim. I guess my thing is... I may not get there first, but I will get there. 

Oh, that 10:31m/m yesterday was cooking me. I'm trying to boost my pace on the run so I just went for it. I know my body is capable of way more than my mind thinks, so I'm trying to push my mind into hanging in there for the long and fast haul. 

2011-07-19 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

It's all relative. I would like to be faster and I know I can get faster, and I know that I probably won't get faster as fast as I'd like. (Umm...did that make sense?) And maybe it's ok if I improve slowly - I started marathon training with a group at the beginning of the year, really pushed the speed (we're talking I improved my long run pace by a full minute/mile within a couple of months) and ended up with an overuse injury.

I've also accepted that now is NOT the time to try to get faster. The weather has been brutal. My second sprint tri was 4 minutes slower than my first, even though I was injured during my first and had a swim freakout where I had to stop and grab the ladder. BUT it was about 25 degrees warmer and way more humid, and the effort FELT a thousand million times better. (Well, I could've done without feeling like my face was melting off during the run, but you know what I mean.) I have my first Oly this weekend and if I survive, I'll be good with it.

I know very few people (personally, outside this board) who have the balls to even attempt a triathlon, much less one in 80+ degree weather. So I'm doing pretty well.

2011-07-19 4:42 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
I am very slow.. In fact right now I am slower now than when i was over 300 pounds but hey we are all here just to have fun.
2011-07-19 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3604348

User image

Master
Central Kansas
runk8run - 2011-07-19 2:26 PM

I know very few people (personally, outside this board) who have the balls to even attempt a triathlon, much less one in 80+ degree weather. So I'm doing pretty well.

Exactly. My "long" bike rides are only in the 20 mile range so far, and after one, when someone asked me how far I had ridden, and I told them, their chin dropped. "You rode 20 miles in 90 minutes?????" My first instinct was to say, "Yeah, I know. I'm so slow." And then I realized that they thought I was speedy! Wow. That was really nice.

I also live in a really small town (1500 people), so everyone knows my business. I must be quite the topic of conversation because people I don't even know very well know what I am up to and are always asking me questions about my training. It's kind of nice.

2011-07-19 5:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Springs

I have thought of starting a team call "Fast Turtle"  Fast people need not apply.

I am really good at getting passed!!

2011-07-19 7:12 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
OK, I am not slow any longer. But......I am still slow compared to where I want to be. We are all working at getting better at this sport and there will always be someone faster out in front to chase. I get frustrated when I read about people running 6:30 miles to finish races, but then I suck it up and get back to work so some day that can be me (or not).

Embrace the sport. Put in the hours and slowly, slowly, over days, months and years of work, get faster. I have bought in to the idea that triathlon is a long term sport and train accordingly. I may not be faster next week, but I sure as heck will be faster next year.

Good luck in your training.
2011-07-19 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3604712

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
KansasMom - 2011-07-19 6:02 PM
runk8run - 2011-07-19 2:26 PM

Exactly. My "long" bike rides are only in the 20 mile range so far, and after one, when someone asked me how far I had ridden, and I told them, their chin dropped. "You rode 20 miles in 90 minutes?????" My first instinct was to say, "Yeah, I know. I'm so slow." And then I realized that they thought I was speedy! Wow. That was really nice.

I also live in a really small town (1500 people), so everyone knows my business. I must be quite the topic of conversation because people I don't even know very well know what I am up to and are always asking me questions about my training. It's kind of nice.

I think we forget sometimes that people who DON'T run or do tris have absolutely no concept of what a slow time is. They're just amazed that someone will run/bike/swim that far.

When I finished my first half marathon in September, a spectator asked me what my time was. I told her (2:35 - yep, slow!) Then she asked if I'd ran the half or the full. (LOL, I think I would've WON the full with that time). I told her the half, thinking, "Great, she's gonna think I'm waaay slow if she thinks I could've run a full in that time." But she got this genuine look of awe on her face and said, "Wow, great job!"

We just moved into a house, and my next door neighbor likes to ask me about my running/biking. She seriously asked me the other day if I run faster than I bike or vice versa. It was all I could to not to laugh.

Oh yeah, I want to get a tattoo of a turtle with a medal around its neck. My race good luck charm is a little stuffed turtle that I named Speedy. I found him while I was out running one day. Since I found him, he's either been sitting in my transition area or in my spibelt of every race I've done.

2011-07-19 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
One of the things I love about being involved in running, and now hopefully triathlon, is that people who aren't involved in this stuff think I'm some sort of athletic goddess. Of course those that are involved know I'm some sort of athletic dud. Nonetheless, both descriptors have "athletic" in them, so I'm happy. And besides, slow is the new fast.
2011-07-19 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3605044

Houston

christiekate - 2011-07-19 8:43 PM One of the things I love about being involved in running, and now hopefully triathlon, is that people who aren't involved in this stuff think I'm some sort of athletic goddess. Of course those that are involved know I'm some sort of athletic dud. Nonetheless, both descriptors have "athletic" in them, so I'm happy. And besides, slow is the new fast.

+1

2011-07-20 12:59 AM

I really think triathlon is more about the journey.  We are always going to have our "slow" discipline (for me it's all 3!), but the variety of training keeps it interesting. I am a BOP who has been more MOP this past year, thanks to a renewed effort on the bike (computrainer) and joining a Masters swim group.  I will never podium finish, I am happy to compete with myself.  Can I do better than my last race???  And do I enjoy it???  I also think when you're BOP you understand how important support is..... I always stay at races and cheer those people finishing after me!!

2011-07-20 3:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I am really slow in the swim, got no body fat so I have to work a little harder to stay afloat. My bike is strong and my run is good as well. The only time I run slow is when it is 90+ degrees outside. Then I start to slow down and run like a squirrel in a mini skirt and stilettos, or sometimes I run like a philosoraptor when I am tired.

Edited by yarislab 2011-07-20 3:17 AM
2011-07-20 6:41 AM

Glen allen, VA

No offense to the 78 year old Grandmothers in the pool, but if you are going to keep passing me, at least bake me some cookies.  I have an excuse though - I am from Canada - we skate on the ponds, we don't swim in them!

I'm so slow it takes too long to log my training so I don't do it!

2011-07-20 2:35 PM

My friend says "Forward is a pace!" Which is good, since I 'run' a 15mm. 

It's interesting what you say about most people just being impressed that you finished the race, let alone having any idea of what time means. Last year my mom's cousin called to congratulate me on the race she heard I did.

Her: How did you do?

Me: Great! I finished, and in the time I'd hoped for.

Her: What place were you?

Me: 701.

Her: Out of how many? (pulling my teeth here)

Me:....733...

Her: Oh. Well. That's not all that good, is it?

LOL! Good thing I have a sense of humor about it.  

2011-07-20 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3606641

User image

Veteran
kerriemoe - 2011-07-20 2:35 PM

It's interesting what you say about most people just being impressed that you finished the race, let alone having any idea of what time means. Last year my mom's cousin called to congratulate me on the race she heard I did.

Hahaha! That's great. After my first (and thus far only) half marathon I told everyone I beat 3,000 people... I just failed to mention the other 32,000+ who beat me. :-) But! I finished and learned many, many lessons, the most important being... don't run (walk/wog/jog/shuffle/crawl) my first marathon with 35,000 other people when big crowds freak me out. 

2011-07-20 4:58 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
kerriemoe - 2011-07-20 2:35 PM

LOL This was the brief conversation after my first sprint tri:

Seeing the finishers medal in my hand, 4 year old at the top of his voice: "Look!!!! Mommy won the race!!!!! She has the gold medal!!!!!"

Me: (Trying to crawl under a rock -- I was 93/101); "Well, not exactly."

2011-07-20 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
kerriemoe - 2011-07-20 4:35 PM

Are we related? I think your mom's cousin might be my mother-in-law. Overweight? Sedentary? Highly critical of efforts to be fit?

2011-07-20 5:17 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

I'm in the same boat, I'm slow.  I'm not really content with it and try to do all the right things, but I'm still bop.   No one really cares though.  All the competitive guys are getting their medals and the rest are just happy they weren't last.   The only thing I / we can really do is be consistent with training and hope to improve.

In my defense even if I were fast I would look at the 3 guys ahead of me in the race and still consider myself slow.

2011-07-20 6:04 PM

User image

kerriemoe - 2011-07-20 3:35 PM

You could always say, "Well I beat you..." and let her stew over that one for a bit.

2011-07-20 6:42 PM

LMAO! Well, to be fair, she's used to hearing about her brother, who regularly wins awards (he's actually one of the few left in his age group so he rocks them all!). 

She's very sweet and meant it in a perfectly innocent way so fortunately I wasn't insulted at all.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm slow Rss Feed  

of 3