General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake of the Pines Labor Day Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake of the Pines Labor Day Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Auburn, California
United States
TBF Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Let's see. Nothing routine about this!! My family (mom, brother John and brother David), friends (Eileen & Traci) and I drove up in Labor Day traffic to Auburn California (between San Francisco and Lake Tahoe... not for the faint of heart!) after work and arrived at our campsite at about 10:30 pm. KOA style campground. All the amenities close at hand and none of the nature!! (o:

Found a tent site under a lamp post and set ourselves up. Our very nice neighboring tent lent us an ax to hammer in our tent pegs, as we were mallet-less. After we got ourselves tucked in sleeping bags, a helicopter began to hover over our campsite for the next hour or so. Hmm. Looking for fugitives????!? AX murderers????!? Sadly aggravation outweighted any fear I might have had!

Also it was stinking hot! We were flinging off sleeping bags and clothes in our tent. That sounds a bit risque... actually no explanations! Let your imagination run wild! (o:

Woke up at about 5:15 to pack up and have breakfast and we were off!!
Event warmup:

This was a little community event, and so it was a lot less organized than things I've gone to before. I kept having to say to myself, "Hey, this is a little community event!" so I would remember to not be frustrated! And that made it a lot more fun.

Just a note, there was this one young woman who was clearly the woman who knew everything about registration. You had to pick up your registration packet between 6am and 7:15am on the morning of the race, so it was pretty crazy. She was in the middle of resolving my brother's registration mess, when a woman came up to her and in a very irritated manner, said, "The woman over there said to come talk to the Oriental girl about my registration packet and she'll fix my problem." Did I mention that the registration woman was Asian?? Oh. Well. I don't even think the race participant realized she was receiving the melting stare of death from the registrar. In any case, I could certainly feel the heat. Felt bad for both of them. Ah well. "It's just a small community event!" (o:

Helped my brother John and Traci (newbies!!) get set up, then went for a quick dip in the water, which was 78 degrees!

Men's wave went first so I got to cheer for John, and then 2 minutes later was the women's wave!
Swim
  • 27m 33s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I haven't been swimming much, so I certainly can't complain, but dang! That was slow!
What would you do differently?:

Breathe on my right, um... have a wetsuit... force the race director to have more buoys so I can swim straighter... anything else. Oh. I guess I could SWIM MORE!
Transition 1
  • 06m 52s
Comments:

On the slow side, but ah well!
Bike
  • 1h 01m 9s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 14.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I know it doesn't seem like much... BUT THIS IS THE FASTEST I'VE EVER BIKED!! My own PR! I'm so excited, and that with hills and altitude! I could tell that I was just going all out. After doing several Oly and 1/2IM distances, I knew I just wanted to puke all over myself for this sprint. Well, I didn't puke, but I can't believe that I averaged 15mph, for that course!! Yay!! Since my dream is to be able to hold to 16mph for the IMAZ, I actually feel like it might be possible!

Not a damn thing! I had a lot of trouble drinking and taking a gu on that course, because it was so hilly and curvy, so I should have really geared up nutrition wise at T1, but what's done is done!
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Again, a bit slow. What was I doing during these transitions??? Knitting?? Whatever.
Run
  • 46m 53s
  • 3.8 miles
  • 12m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, you may look at that time and think that's pretty slow... but that's my PR!! Yay for me!! I have been (for the last hundred years) someone who runs a 13 minute mile. You may think that's not even a running pace, but you CAN shuffle along at that pace if needs be. But no more!! Woo hoo! I also ran all of the course. The last hill was doozy and I just couldn't do it. But otherwise, it was a walking-break-free race!

Not a darn thing!! Well, I would have run up that hill giving the chance to do it again. I mean, why not go for broke, right?? But I'm still very pleased.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a lot, congratulated my brother on his first race. (He did great by the way, despite all of his doom's day predictions. I think it's a guy thing. He was afraid I'd do better than him so he set it up with all these reasons for why he was gonna get trompled by his little sister.) Forgot to stretch, as usual. Felt springy (as opposed to how I felt after my 1/2IM--which was definitely spring-less!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual. But it's pretty clear to me that time on the bike and time running and weight loss have helped me make great strides. Just need to get a beeet more time in the pool now! (o:

Event comments:

Did I mention that this is a little community event?? Pretty unorganized, but it was OK. I didn't really mind. Had a good time. The only thing I would say about it, as one of the people who comes in toward the end, they broke down aid stations to soon. Would it have killed them to have them up for another 15 minutes? Because within 15 minutes after my finish, I think everyone was pretty much in. Afterwards we went out for victory burgers and shakes. Umm. Nothing like health food!

Last updated: 2005-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:33 | 1094 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Clockwise... which SUCKED! Because I only breathe on my left, so I couldn't see anything!! Totally off course for a bunch of it. Ah well! The buoys were so far apart, that it was hard for me to go straight. Let's face it. It's hard for me to go straight even in the best of circumstances!
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:52
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:01:09 | 15.2 miles | 14.91 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Very hilly! But fun. Three laps around the lake that we swam in, so I got to hit each of those hills three times. The altitude was much higher than where I train, and I could feel it, for sure
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:53 | 03.8 miles | 12m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: One lap around lake. 2 big hills, but otherwise lots of little knolls. Fair amount of shade, too.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? No
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-09-08 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: Lake of the Pines Labor Day Triathlon

2005-09-09 12:01 AM
in reply to: #242780

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Lake of the Pines Labor Day Triathlon

Great job, Dana!  Your bike and run PR's far outweighed what you thought to be a bad swim (I didn't see anything wrong with it though).

Sharon

2005-09-09 12:21 AM
in reply to: #243122

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Thanks, Sharon.

I was too happy about the bike and run to have any regrets about the swim. Best part of the day, though was seeing my brother racing!! Another convert???

Dana
2005-09-09 2:14 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Totally cool.

Sounds like you had fun, and WTG on the PR.  It's awesome to see improvements.

2005-09-09 11:44 PM

User image

Yeah Dana,

It sounds like you made some real breakthroughs in this race in both swimming and biking.  congratulations!  Your hard work is certainly paying off.  Keep it up, you deserve to keep improving!

ivan

2005-09-10 1:10 PM

User image

OOPS...

I meant breakthroughs in biking and running   I was too paying attention!

2005-09-10 2:48 PM

User image

Elite

Great job setting new PR's!  Congratulations.

I know what you mean about small community races.  Although they might be a pain sometimes with the lack of support and orginization, its the small races that get more people into racing Tri, Marathons, Century's etc.  I only wish more small communities would host races.  I know I will attend any small event I can just to support their effort and encourage others to get involved.

Keep setting new records and keep supporting community races.

-Michael

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake of the Pines Labor Day Triathlon Rss Feed