General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Collins Club Triathlon Series #3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fort Collins Club Triathlon Series #3 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fort Collins, Colorado
United States
Fort Collins Club
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Female Relay
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep at all last night - ok...maybe an hour - and that was from 4:15 till 5:15. We were staying at my eldest daughter's apartment in Fort Collins, and I was sharing a bed with my middle daughter. She was having some kind of dream - and a funny one at that as she kept laughing. I don't really think that was what was keeping me up - it was probably nerves - but hey - the laughing was kind of funny. Finally got out of bed at 5:15 - got dressed, put the bikes on the car, grabbed a bagel and headed on our way to the FCC.

I was doing this race as a relay with my middle daughter. I was to do the swim and the bike - and she was doing the run. I tore a groin muscle in July - and just really wanted to do a tri some how - some way this season, and my beautiful daughter agreed to run for me (and if you see her time below - I chose wisely :-) )
Event warmup:

Well - none really - unless you count the walk from the FCC to the Epic center. We set up transition - a straight shot from the swim exit and not far at all from the bike start. I got everything situated on my towel, and we headed indoors to look at the pool and google at all the fast swimmers as they took off. I was really hoping at seeing someone swim something other than free before I got in the pool - but most were all being all perfect with their freestyle strokes. I didn't fret - know this was my race - and I'd swim just fine.
Swim
  • 10m
  • 450 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok...so my swim leaves something to be desired in the speed area BUT I was able to swim most of it free - with only maybe 25 yards breast after I took on a mouth full of water at the wall. Otherwise, I was very comfortable in the water. I kept my pace the same from the beginning, till the end of the swim. I was even able to bi-lateral breath for the most of it - which is totally unlike me. I never felt rushed, or out of breath, and it seemed to go by much faster than I would have imagined. I was passed by 1 person and I passed 4-5 others. I had to swim under one guy - who didn't let me pass on the wall. I don't know why he made it so difficult to pass but I was tired of eating his feet splash so at the next turn, I pushed off as hard as I could under the lane line and swam under him. If that guy happens to read this - sorry - but get out of my freaking way next time!!!!

I was seriously stressed about the swim before the try - but it was probably the part I enjoyed the most. Plus - the fastest I had EVER swam this distance in training was 11:30 - so I cut 1:30 off my time.
What would you do differently?:

Thinking about it after the race, I could probably have pushed harder during the swim. I just really wanted to finish without sucking too much air.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Ok....this took longer than it should have. I had trouble with my socks - just from the adrenaline rush I think. I tried to put them on standing up at first and quickly discovered that was not working...so I sat my big behind on the grass and took care of business. Everything else went just fine. My time in T1 was slower than the other relays - but hey - give me a break - I was doing two legs of this sucker - all my competitors had to do was slap hands and go - and I had to mess with bike shoes and a helmet... so all and all - I'm pretty pleased.

Hmmm.....go without socks?
Bike
  • 41m 6s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.98 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike seemed harder than I expected - or maybe I just pushed harder than I expected. I didn't get into my best rythym the first pass around - and was starting to think negative thoughts - but I pushed them aside as my legs started to spin the way they are supposed to. The rest of the ride felt good. I passed quite a few people - and got past by some men who made me feel like I was standing still. I got a little concerned after my first loop - I began stressing about whether I would get off count on my laps - and either do one too many - or skip one - when I realized - duh - I have a bike computer that tells me how far I've gone...and when I pushed the right button I knew I was about half way through - so I relaxed, pushed hard and headed for the bike finish. My dismount was a little rough - I think I stopped before my bike did - probably scared a few of the volunteers but hey...I just laughed about my gracefull entrance into T2 and ran to meet my daughter. When she found me - I think my all out effort on the final hill caught up to me - I was breathing really hard - almost sounded like an asthma attach - and I don't have asthma...but we got the exchange done - and off she ran. I was really pleased with my time - but really wanted to break that 19mph barrier - maybe next time.

Not make such a clutsy dismount of my bike???
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Met Jessie...took off racing belt and while she was putting that on - ripped my timing chip off and gave it to her...next thing I knew she was gone
!!!! Speed demon :-)

nothing
Run
  • 22m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Jessie took over on the run - She was complaining of shin pain the night before which concerned me. She had a tibial stress fracture in the spring that wiped out her track season, and I certainly didn't want that to reoccur, so I told her to take it easy. She is too competitive though - and took off running. I was so proud of her. She had a really good time too - as she didn't train at all for this race other than running time spent at field hockey practice. Immediately after the finish, she told me that I may not EVER be able to do the run - because she wanted that leg in future triathlons. I think she would be really good at these - but the swim scares her. She actually is a really good swimmer (she has lifeguard certification), but she doesn't think she is fast enough Like mother like daughter.

Not get hurt in July - and train for the run myself?? Nah...it was really neat to share this with my daughter.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down and waited for Jodi (JodiLynn on bt) to finish....and she did great - even sprinting to the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stupid injury - and a mental block on the swim - which I think I've overcome.

Event comments:

Hey - We won in our division - Female relays - by a comfortable margin of 6 minutes. Yeah...I had the slowest swim time of the female relay competitors - but none of them jumped on the bike after the swim going almost 19mph for 41 minutes :-) All in all - we had a blast and can't wait for next year.

We waited around for the awards ceremony - which took forever - and of course our division was the LAST one to go...but hey - our first tri - our first first place - and we have a nifty plaque to prove it!!!

Check out JodiLynn's race report for this same race - She's my other daughter who was doing this as her first tri!!! She did awesome - and is sooooo talented.

Stacie - Sorry I couldn't stop and chat more - I didn't want that lady to close the door on me!!! Next time - we need to figure out a way to identify the BT'ers. I didn't get to meet any of the others - and I was bummed about that.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 450 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Danskin Tri top and shorts
Course: Snake swim - 18 lanes - ducking under the lane ropes at the end to continue on.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:06 | 13 miles | 18.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Some hills - one a little steeper than the rest - and one nice downhill. 3 times around the same loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:41 | 03.1 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/4
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-11 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: Fort Collins Club Triathlon Series #3

2005-09-11 7:17 PM
in reply to: #244267

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Fort Collins Club Triathlon Series #3
Congrats on the win!  Woo whoo!  You guys did great!  
2005-09-11 7:22 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats!!

You guys make an awesome team......good swim time even with the doubts, you smoked on the bike, and well your daugther is just great!!

It is special you did it together and you won too!!

2005-09-11 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Great job out there today! I was looking for you a little bit from the stands, but oddly enough, it's kind of tough to identify people from their avatars. Congratulations on the win!
2005-09-12 5:34 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Congrats to my excellent thunderbird teammate. Your report made me feel so great and I am so proud of you. Your determination to continue working through your injury showed how committed you are and your bike split is super fast. Way to go on the hardware!!!!

ken
2005-09-12 9:42 AM

User image

Regular
Lone Tree, CO
Great job and what a team effort!  1st place - Oh yeah!!  It sounds like you all had fun and did your best.  That's what its all about.

2005-09-12 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Congratulations to you and your daughter -first place! That's incredible! Both of your performances were excellent. It was nice to meet you, even though it was brief.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Collins Club Triathlon Series #3 Rss Feed