General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming 1 mile 2x a week enough? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-08 10:14 PM

Subject: Swimming 1 mile 2x a week enough?
Hello.Just need some thoughts of were I'm going here. I started swimming 2 weeks ago. Two days a week 1 mile each day. I'm only looking at swimming to tighten my upper body. Is a mile 2 days a week good enough? Some basics, I'm a runner first. Doing 18-25 miles a week. I already dropped 70 pounds and I'm down to 165, but my upper body is crap. I can't stomach the gym. So I'm looking at swimming for a little cross training and help if I go into Tri. Thanks guys..

2011-08-09 12:09 AM
in reply to: #3635124

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Subject: RE: Swimming 1 mile 2x a week enough?
Enough for what? To tighten upper body? To complete a Olympic distance triathlon? YES!
2011-08-09 12:23 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

Enough to complete an Olympic distance triathlon - certainly.

Enough to race to your potential in a triathlon - probably not. That would call for more structured workouts and much attention to technique.

2011-08-09 6:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Traveling

Great job losing so much weight. You probably lost a lot of muscle as well, so I would suggest you revisit your stance on the gym. There are lots of different gyms and equipment. But if you want to tighten up your upper body, your going to need to work out, at least pushups...

Also do you do intervals in the pool. Because our bodies respond to intensity not just frequency.

2011-08-09 8:20 AM

Thank you for the replys. I guess I'm asking is what I'm swimming enough for a good upper body work out and tighten up.I may have to look at the gym at least one day of the week. I'm just not a gym person. If I were to go into tri it would only be about finishing. I got a lot of work before I think about that. Thanks again.
2011-08-09 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3635458

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

gtu160 - 2011-08-09 8:20 AM Thank you for the replys. I guess I'm asking is what I'm swimming enough for a good upper body work out and tighten up.I may have to look at the gym at least one day of the week. I'm just not a gym person. If I were to go into tri it would only be about finishing. I got a lot of work before I think about that. Thanks again.

By "tighten", I assume you mean not look flabby? Swimming 1mile twice a week will not be sufficient. It's all about heavy, load-bearing workouts; so get used to weights, weights, and more weights. Do the gym, crossfit, pushups, pullups, abs/abs/abs everything you can. 

Keep the fat off and build up as much muscle as possible. Even then, if you're like me, you'll never get rid of all the loose skin, so there will be some flab in the gut, under the armpits, and under your chest. For me to get a six-pack, I have to hit the abs extremely hard and stay so lean that a vein pops out on my forehead. It's quite depressing but that's the price for letting yourself go in the first place.

2011-08-09 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

Swimming 1500m/1650y twice a week will increase some upper body strength, but not very much and not enough that you will see any visual results. You would only be conditioning your muscles to allow you to make that distance. If you want to see significant improvement in upper body strength from swimming, swim an average of 4500 yards 4-5 times a week and you should be good to go (I used to swim 5x a week/year-round but I'm also just pulling these numbers out of the air, but you get the point).

You can gain upper body strength without joining a gym. At home you have your own floor for push-ups. Purchase a pull-up bar of some sort and install it in your home, like the archway of a door. Purchase hand weights - this opens up a variety of different upper body exercise you can do (arms, shoulders, etc.).

Edited by Barkeep 2011-08-09 9:27 AM
2011-08-09 9:53 AM

Regular
How long does it take you to swim this mile? Do you do it in one shot, or with a lot breaks? If you do it with few breaks, it sounds like your level of fitness would be good to go in any swimming event Oly and below, but if you are doing it in 200 yard segments...well, there's no walls out there, you know. Another caveat I would add is the 'swimpede experience' that takes place at the start of the event. Everyone is jumbled together and swimming furiously; you will find yourself out of form and rhythm and will experience fatigue faster than you anticipate. That can be problematic if your endurance is lacking.
2011-08-09 2:58 PM

Phaethon:Thanks for the advise, yes and no on the mile. Hit the wall and take a breath. If I had too I wouldn't need it . I can run a half in 1:50 @ 8:30 so I can hold my own. Its funny cause the first few laps I feel like crap and I'm drowning, just like running the first few miles, but the further I go it just gets better. I always like going the distance. I feel better after 10 miles then say a 5 mile run.To the other guys thanks for all the great advice. I guess I'm going to stick to my plans right now and see.what comes out of it. Maybe add in another mile or fit in 5000 in three swims. I'm just not a gym person, maybe when work slows down and life slows.down a bit ill have to work harder on the problem areas. I never let myself go, I was always fat and just excepted it. That all changed with a trip to the ER in 05. I had to change my life style and just found running works. Now I'm stuck with some fat that won't go away. Thanks again for all the input....
2011-08-09 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, NC

gtu160 - 2011-08-08 11:14 PM Hello.Just need some thoughts of were I'm going here. I started swimming 2 weeks ago. Two days a week 1 mile each day. I'm only looking at swimming to tighten my upper body. Is a mile 2 days a week good enough? Some basics, I'm a runner first. Doing 18-25 miles a week. I already dropped 70 pounds and I'm down to 165, but my upper body is crap. I can't stomach the gym. So I'm looking at swimming for a little cross training and help if I go into Tri. Thanks guys..

You just STARTED swimming and can swim a mile???  Wow, I wish I had your genes.  It took me a long time to get up to that distance.

Nice!

2011-08-09 5:31 PM

User image

Bronze member

I saw some changes in my body shape when I began swimming for fitness and I was already fit, did some light strength training, yoga, pilates etc. I remember my friend (who also started swimming for fitness) and I discussing the differences we noticed: broader shoulders, lost a few pounds.

Also, another friend of mine who was strictly a runner trained for an IM last year. Her swim form was awful (not to be mean, she got some instruction and improved a lot before her IM). She swam with her head out of the water a lot at first and always used the same side of her body to lift and breath. Her shoulder on that side of her body was noticeably more built up than her weaker side.

IMO, if you are coming from no upper body workouts or previous swimming to doing 1 mile 2/week, I think you will notice some changes to your body.

2011-08-10 8:31 AM

I guess I always just have been at home in the water. I see a lot of people struggle with it, and was looking at the 6 week plans. I didn't need it. I went out on the 4th try on did it in 45 min. My form is really bad. I have a hard time. I keep my head out of the water, but I do breath from both sides. I think it helps training and running half marathons. Just learn to adapt and push hard to finish. I also have had some real high and lows in running. Some of my lowest points have been my best times running.Starting with little no upper body strength I have to gain something out of swimming.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming 1 mile 2x a week enough? Rss Feed