General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 California : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2012-03-30 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3638326

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 California : Official Thread

Hello all-

Checked in Yesterday...Wow.  Ironman events are slightly more high profile than the Bakersfield Triathlon

Couple thoughts:

1) I bought a "squid lid" at the expo.  The folks around me (Very experienced...i could tell from their 4% body fat and dialogue) said its a must have.  I figure...might as well be a little uncomfortable with the chin strap than cold. 

2) Bought some elastic laces for my running shoes.  I'm using my Asics Kayano's so i just bought 15 seconds and eliminated the possiblity of a blow out on the run (untied shoe)

3) The run has changed from Athlete Guide.  For some reason, they do not want folks on the wooden planks of the pier and we will instead have to run up the ramp for a total of 4 times.  2 on each loop.  After you get checked in...head south to the expo area and there is a booth on the left hand side where they give great descriptions of the course, and allow you to ask whatever questions you want.  I cracked a joke about sprinting up the entire big hill...it was received with uncomfortable laughter, some serious Pros out there!

4) The shirt and SWAG BAG are located on the far opposite end of the Expo and you get them after you register and watch the brief video.  I forgot my USAT printout...if you have a smart phone, you can pull up your number on the USAT webpage and show it as proof.

5) I'm not sure if i drove the correct road...but it looks like there are quite a few little rollers on the run portion...but I may have been driving on the final part of the bike course...??

6)Run Transition bag.  I'm debating turning it in early for 2 reasons.  #1) What if it gets stolen?  Highly unlikely, but possible.  #2, I'd have to come into T2 and unload the bag and fumble around with my stuff.  Even though its a long race...2 extra minutes burned in transition equate to 10 sec/mile of time.

Its the nerves talking.  I have to admit, I'm very anxious...but excited at the same time.  Its encouraging to know I'm not the only one.  At the end of the day...we have all trained and have to trust the work we have put in, and not discount the fact that Pure Adrenaline always helps during the race.  I'm sticking with my game plan...SAVE IT FOR THE RUN. 

Phillipians 4:13- I can do ALL THINGS through CHRIST who strengthens me. 

See you guys out and about!

2012-03-30 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4120939

User image

Elite
the desert
perryseth1 - 2012-03-30 10:22 AM

Hello all-

Checked in Yesterday...Wow.  Ironman events are slightly more high profile than the Bakersfield Triathlon

Couple thoughts:

1) I bought a "squid lid" at the expo.  The folks around me (Very experienced...i could tell from their 4% body fat and dialogue) said its a must have.  I figure...might as well be a little uncomfortable with the chin strap than cold. 

2) Bought some elastic laces for my running shoes.  I'm using my Asics Kayano's so i just bought 15 seconds and eliminated the possiblity of a blow out on the run (untied shoe)

3) The run has changed from Athlete Guide.  For some reason, they do not want folks on the wooden planks of the pier and we will instead have to run up the ramp for a total of 4 times.  2 on each loop.  After you get checked in...head south to the expo area and there is a booth on the left hand side where they give great descriptions of the course, and allow you to ask whatever questions you want.  I cracked a joke about sprinting up the entire big hill...it was received with uncomfortable laughter, some serious Pros out there!

4) The shirt and SWAG BAG are located on the far opposite end of the Expo and you get them after you register and watch the brief video.  I forgot my USAT printout...if you have a smart phone, you can pull up your number on the USAT webpage and show it as proof.

5) I'm not sure if i drove the correct road...but it looks like there are quite a few little rollers on the run portion...but I may have been driving on the final part of the bike course...??

6)Run Transition bag.  I'm debating turning it in early for 2 reasons.  #1) What if it gets stolen?  Highly unlikely, but possible.  #2, I'd have to come into T2 and unload the bag and fumble around with my stuff.  Even though its a long race...2 extra minutes burned in transition equate to 10 sec/mile of time.

Its the nerves talking.  I have to admit, I'm very anxious...but excited at the same time.  Its encouraging to know I'm not the only one.  At the end of the day...we have all trained and have to trust the work we have put in, and not discount the fact that Pure Adrenaline always helps during the race.  I'm sticking with my game plan...SAVE IT FOR THE RUN. 

Phillipians 4:13- I can do ALL THINGS through CHRIST who strengthens me. 

See you guys out and about!

The run is hillier than I expected. I'm staying on the course right after the climb on Wisconsin. I rode most of the run course this morning and there are 2 more decent climbs after that.
2012-03-30 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4120939

User image

Yeah, I'd say the run is rollers on the first lap, honest to god hills on the second! 

I'll clarify today, I guess but I don't understand the above, how we can run up the ramp 4 times....  The map I saw on Coach Vance's site showed us running on Pierview onto the pier only far enough to get to the ramp to turnaround, not on planks. 

One thing i know for sure, I sure as heck won't be first so guess I'll just follow everyone else 

As for T2 bag, I am dropping mine off, but make it simple.  All  you need are shoes and a hat (well, all I need).   I will have my socks on, I will have my sunnies on, I will have the race belt on.  I do have an extra pair of socks in there as well as a visor (in case) and a gel to start out with, but that's it.  Everything else I plan to have with me, so dump out the shoes and hat, leave everything else 

BE CAREFUL with speed laces - nothing new on race day    Sometimes the bungee can come out of the little grommet if you pull too hard, then you are fumbling with it.  Happened to me in a sprint once. 

Edited by ChrisM 2012-03-30 12:52 PM
2012-03-30 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4121008

"I'll clarify today, I guess but I don't understand the above, how we can run up the ramp 4 times....  The map I saw on Coach Vance's site showed us running on Pierview onto the pier only far enough to get to the ramp to turnaround, not on planks. "

The way i understood it...Out of T2 we go up/down the ramp and out to the north, turnaround, up/down the ramp again, then proceed with Loop #1.  Coming back on Loop #2, its the same thing, going up and down twice more (4 total).  Its very goofy, but it looks like they had to change it last minute as the map she showed me had the run on the pier blacked out.  All i know is that its a steep little guy and doing this 4 times 4 hours+ into a race could make a little difference.  I'm giong to "spin" up the hills with a higher cadence like on the bike instead of muscling up them.

I agree with you...I'm going to drop my back at T2 later this afternoon.  Its worth the extra time saved tomorrow, and all i have to pull out is my shoes, gels, hat, and wrist band (that my Garmin will transfer to).

2012-03-30 5:50 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else question gear decisions the day before a race? For example wetsuit selection. I have not had a chance to do very many open water swims lately (mostly pool work) and I know the water temp is cold. I can swim in a full suit like I have during training, but I'm so much less fatigued in the sleeveless. I'm now trying to decide weather to be warm and tired or cold and less fatigued. At this point I'm ready to flip a coin. For those who have done the open water swims lately, how does the water compare to last years race? I think it was 57 degrees last year, but I'm not positive.
2012-03-30 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4121601

User image

Wear the full sleeve.   Spend 5 minutes getting it on, at least.  Way up in your crotch.   Way up over the shoulders.  When you put your arms in, twist the rubber so the rubber return to center pulls your arm in.  Make the wetsuit work for you.  THere's lots of reasons I wouldn't wear a sleeveless tomorrow.

Checked in and hanging at the hotel.  Getting pumped!!!   And Jessica, saw your name on the back of the t short that has all the names, it was the first one I saw 

I didn't confirm the run course so guess I'll just follow the crowd!  

2012-03-30 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4121614

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
ChrisM - 2012-03-30 4:13 PM

Wear the full sleeve.   Spend 5 minutes getting it on, at least.  Way up in your crotch.   Way up over the shoulders.  When you put your arms in, twist the rubber so the rubber return to center pulls your arm in.  Make the wetsuit work for you.  THere's lots of reasons I wouldn't wear a sleeveless tomorrow.

Checked in and hanging at the hotel.  Getting pumped!!!   And Jessica, saw your name on the back of the t short that has all the names, it was the first one I saw 

I didn't confirm the run course so guess I'll just follow the crowd!  

Sweet! I registered yesterday and dropped my run gear on my way home from work. I'm starting to feel a little better. I haven't done anything all week and hope all of the rest has helped me kick this bug. I guess we'll see tomorrow. Planning on heading to bed early tonight. Rest well everyone ... have a great race tomorrow.

2012-03-31 8:59 AM

Brawley (Middle of the Desert), CA
Just wanted to drop in and tell every one good luck and have a great race.  Im not racing this race but hope to make it my first 70.3 (Next year) so I have been tagging along with all of your posts and have been learning a lot!  Was hoping to make it up to watch, but looks like that wont be happening this year so I will be cheering from home!  Have fun everyone!
2012-04-04 9:31 AM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ

I have only one complaint about that race. I started in the last wave, and I had to bike through MANY competitors who rode all over the roadway. Blocking is a concept that most people just don't know about. I'd like to see more education of rules like that. I don't care if you're in a pace line, but please don't ride 4-abreast and block the entire roadway.

Also, I yelled "on your left" to a guy and he swerved right so hard that he hit someone. Sorry about that, to both of you.

2012-04-04 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4129327

User image

Slidell4life - 2012-04-04 7:31 AM

I have only one complaint about that race. I started in the last wave, and I had to bike through MANY competitors who rode all over the roadway. Blocking is a concept that most people just don't know about. I'd like to see more education of rules like that. I don't care if you're in a pace line, but please don't ride 4-abreast and block the entire roadway.

Also, I yelled "on your left" to a guy and he swerved right so hard that he hit someone. Sorry about that, to both of you.

One of the problems starting that far back is that you have perhaps competitors that aren't as well versed in the rules because they are more trying to finish than to race, so they don't get caught up in the details.  I had some of that too, yelled on your left a lot, but also got to do a lot of legal drafting and leapfrogging

2012-04-04 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4129782

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
ChrisM - 2012-04-04 10:01 AM
Slidell4life - 2012-04-04 7:31 AM

One of the problems starting that far back is that you have perhaps competitors that aren't as well versed in the rules because they are more trying to finish than to race, so they don't get caught up in the details.  I had some of that too, yelled on your left a lot, but also got to do a lot of legal drafting and leapfrogging

Good point, ChrisM. I don't think there wasn't a moment of the ride where I wasn't passing someone (or in a no pass zone.)

2012-04-04 1:47 PM

User image

I didn't really like the run area north of the pier, too narrow.   I understand they have to keep pacific open for residents so have to use the strand to end the bike, but I hope they can find another way to do this next year.

Wait, did I say next year?  After swearing I wasn't going to sign up for an early season half again??? 

2012-04-04 6:00 PM

User image

BTW, if anyone did the race in 2011, they have 2011 gear on the IM webstore for super cheap, like $5.
2012-04-04 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4130096

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodland Hills, CA
ChrisM - 2012-04-04 11:47 AM

Wait, did I say next year?  After swearing I wasn't going to sign up for an early season half again??? 

Ha! That's what I said last year. 

2012-04-05 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

The tight lanes north of the pier were a challenge, especially on the second loop when there was far more traffic to navigate.  It was a bit disappointing that they ran out of mylar blankets, as with the cool breeze off the ocean they would have been nice once you cool off after finishing.  Oh well, it happens I suppose.  One other recommendation (this is the first time I have done this race so maybe they have never had this) is to have an actual post-finish photo background and area after you go through the finisher's chute.  They had a photographer standing where they were removing timing chips, but I missed him the first time by, and did not notice he was there until I waited for a friend who came through later.

Regardless, WTC puts on a first-class event, and nothing seems to compare to the IM and IM 70.3 experience.

Congrats to everyone!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 California : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 10