United States
Sportsbackers.com
80F / 27C
Total Time = 1h 05m
Overall Rank = /2000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

It's been a pretty busy day of cleaning and errands, got a swim in. Had dinner and drove up to the Diamond.....
Event warmup:

Walked from my car to the registration table to get my nymber and my tee shirt. Walked back to spend 10 minutes hunting my car in the parking lot (seriously). Walked over to the stadium, hit the bathrooms and checked out some of the costumed cyclists.

We had "killer bees", the three little pigs with the big bad wolf and the little mermaid for starts....
Bike
  • 1h 05m
  • 18 miles
  • 16.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I did this event in 2009 and they started all the riders out in one pack. There were lots of mishaps with that. This year we were started in waves. I assumed that wave time was similar to organized ride groups with A pace and so forth so I seeded myself to the B pace wave. I think a lot of people signed up for what they wanted or where their friends were cause I passed lots of people.

It starts off still a bit congested, even with the waves. Still fairly light out cause the sun is just setting. By mile 2 or 3 I have mixed myself into the A wave which started a few minutes (maybe 3) ahead of mine.

Once through the first hairpin turn we have a little climb then through Bryan Park which is part of the half mary course. It was pretty cool cause in order to light the roadway for us through the park there were glow sticks along the road. I call it the Hansel and Gretel trail.

There's a section through some neighborhoods then out Westwood Avenue towards Monument. Most of this was uneventful, but about midway down Monument we pass St Mary's Hospital and some lady was taking a sick child to the ER. She saw the cop at the intersection but thought cause she had a green light to just go. I was about 3 bikes back from the intersection when she did that. Thought the guys in front of me were going to go ballistic.

Little bit of an incline on this end of Monument and now that it's gotten darker it's harder to really see what my speed is, riding totally "nekked" since my HRM is out for repairs. Things we take for granted in the daylight .....like getting the water bottles are a bit more of a challenge. My headlight keeps wobbling all over and I spend half the ride adjusting it.

Anyway, make the hairpin on Monument then I am flying back up the other side. Had a blast. We mixed back in with the short course riders about a mile before the finish so once again there was a lot of navigation to be had to get through the course.
What would you do differently?:

practice some more night rides, it is a whole different feel when you have evening and minimal light to see the gadgets we so often depend on for feedback.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to my car, didn't take as long this time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Navigating around poorly seeded riders where it was congested

Event comments:

did not stay post race, I didn't have any friends doing the ride with me to hang out with.

Last updated: 2011-07-15 12:00 AM
Biking
01:05:00 | 18 miles | 16.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2000
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: through Richmond mixes a variety of courses from the half marathon and Monument Ave
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right