Yellow Jacket Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 18s
Overall Rank = 43/192
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 70/26
Pre-race routine:

Probably not the best pre-race routine, but started Saturday running the 6 miles to the Y to do their Reisling 5K race. Then spent the afternoon sampling craft beers and local wines. Very nice afternoon with Connie!

Other wise the routine was to get everything packed up and ready to go on Saturday. Have a little coffee and a bagel before picking Dud up and heading to Sodus.
Event warmup:

Other than walking with our gear the half mile or so from parking to race registration and transition nothing.
Swim
  • 16m 31s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

The lake was a pleasant surprise as Lake Ontario can be choppy and not the greatest water but other than a thick carpet of sea weed in the first 8 feet or so off the beach, the lake couldn't have been any smoother or clearer.
My swim is getting better, but still MOP so I seeded my self in the middle towards the back. The waves were simple, woman first, men 5 minutes later, so it was a pretty good sized wave. The first leg was crowded and people were all over each other. After the first bouy I found some clean water and started focusing more on the stroke and swimming properly.

After last bouy turned toward the beach and tried to pick up the pace. Upon returning to the beach walked through the mucky sea weed and ran across the sand towards T1.
What would you do differently?:

The swim lessons are helping so I just need to keep doing the drills and building the swim endurance. But for me, it was a much better swim result than my last 2 tris so I am happy with it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Not a bad T1, I used the full sleeved wetsuit which always is a bit more of a challenge to get off the ankles for some reason.
Bike
  • 38m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 20.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Leaving transition the first section is short and flat but a bit narrow so I just got into a good position and spun to get the legs warmed up. After that it was time to hammer. Decided before the race to push harder than I ever have and keep the watts up over 200 and see how the run went. Having done mostly longer stuff I am still having fun seeing what I can do on the bike and still be able to run.

After the first 5 miles I was a bit concerned about the pace, the watts were good, about 211 but the pace was around 17 but the rolling hills and slight headwind were more of a factor than I realized.

After turning back north with a flat section, some downhills I kept pushing the effort and the pace took care of itself. I passed plenty from the womans wave on hybrids and men on all sorts of bikes. Didn't get passed too many times.

After 10 miles I started to look for Dud, hoping to catch him before the bike was over. I was looking for my swim coach Stephanie too, but didn't catch either. Only thing really exciting on the bike was once I got back into town, the police were trying to manage traffic and one of the intersections was kind of congested. The police officer waved a car through and she took her time and stopped at one point in the intersection. 3 of us had to sneak between her and another car waiting. Otherwise, an uneventful ride, which is good.

Not a lot for this race, hadn't been focusing on the bike since Musselman so I was happy with my performance. I think with some hard work in the office season I still have a lot of upside on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

My transition was set up near swim in, run out but on the opposite side from the bike in and out. I had my shoes unstrapped but when I went to pull the feet out they unclipped so I had loose bike shoes so I couldn't push the run through. Other wise I got the rest of the switch done pretty quickly. Could have maybe saved another 10 or 15 seconds without the bike shoe issue.

Coming down the lane to my spot I see that Dudley is just ahead of me so I give him a shot about getting going!

I don't practice the in and out of bike shoe on the bike enough and it showed.
Run
  • 23m 40s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off chasing Dud as he was probably 30 seconds ahead of me. He had been having calf issues the last couple of weeks so not sure how he would be running. Unfortunately it was acting up so he wasn't running as fast as he would normally. It was interesting coming up behind him as he had his Old Fart jersey on and the comments from the spectators were humorous!

Pushed up the first hill to see how the legs were going to do after the bike and they felt a little heavy but moving pretty good. Dumped some water over my head at the first aid station and kept moving.

The more the run went along the better I felt. Finished the first lap and the course was getting a bit more crowded, but there was plenty of room. Got to the top of the hill again, sipped some water at the aid station and again dumped the rest over my head.

Pushed the last mile hard. Finished with a fairly solid run. Faster by a few seconds than the 5K I did the previous day so all in all I was pleased.

Pushed the early miles a bit harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and waited for Dud to finish. Had a hot dog, chatted with some other folks from Canandaigua and headed for home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This wasn't an A race as I want to focus on a good result at Finger Lakes and the marathon in October.

Event comments:

Yellow Jacket does a good job.

Last updated: 2011-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:31 | 800 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/192
Performance: Good
Suit: Full sleeved 2XU
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:37 | 13.1 miles | 20.35 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:40 | 03.12 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops near lake and park throug Sodus Point
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-15 4:56 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Sodus Point Triathlon

2011-08-15 6:38 AM
in reply to: #3643544

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Sodus Point Triathlon
Nice work!!  Awesome to see your swim improvements.
2011-08-15 7:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

Great race Ken! For a 'train through' race you sure did an awesome job. Keep up the swim work!

2011-08-15 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
What a great job Ken!!!! Those transition times blow me away!!!! I know it's just a small part of the race, but when I look at mine I know I could knock minutes off my time but just getting better at it!

Great race!
2011-08-15 9:47 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland
Nice work Ken, 7 minute mile after 6 miles the day before is impressive!
2011-08-15 11:35 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Great job out there Ken. Always good to see improvements and your run is impressive!

2011-08-15 5:58 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Great job Ken, do you want whipped cream and a cherry with that Sundae?
2011-08-15 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Great Race Ken, I hope to get a race run in the 7 min range one...Good training race..Keep it up.
2011-08-16 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Heck of a race, especially with your pre-day event warmup!  You're getting faster and faster in all three!
2011-08-18 1:06 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut
Go Ken!  Awesome job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sodus Point Triathlon Rss Feed