D3 Multisports
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 38m 42s
Overall Rank = 3/17
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Changed at work and left a little later than I wanted. Didn't help that I missed the turn I meant to take and it took me longer to get there than I had planned. I wanted to grab a Gatorade and a Clif Bar to eat on the way, but forgot. So I had a half warm gatorade that was in my car from the night before. Kind of nasty, but better than nothing. Took a gel once I got to the race site.
Event warmup:

Listened to the Foo Fighters and Pete Yorn on the way down. Set up my transition next to Mark (markdills38), Stacie (luv2ride), Ovetta (if you don't know who Ovetta is then just stop reading right now. Thanks. :) ), Wright (friend of Mark's who supplied 80s tunes later), Brett (Alpine 87), a straggler, and Adam (TriGreenie). Went for a quick run, maybe a mile and about a 250-yard swim.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Transition 1
  • 00m
Swim
  • 16m 9s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

Hung out in the water talking with the other BTers until the long course racers went off. We were 5 minutes after. Sighting into the sun to the first buoy sucked. A lot. I decided to wait about 5 seconds after everyone went before I left since I'm a little slower. I should've just gone out hard the first 50 yards instead. I got behind people that I couldn't get around. They were side by side and apparently drunk given their swim direction. I forgive them for the latter since I can relate. I finally saw an opening and forced my way between them until they broke up. Rounding the first buoy sucked, but at least there was no sun to deal with. But then I got conscious of where other swimmers were, thinking I was way off course. Seriously, there were swimmers 20 yards to my left and I was right in line with the next buoy. Found out later there were some folks that cut the corners on the buoys. My breathing was better than it was the first time I did this race, but I still struggled. It's the sighting part of it since I look up too often. I need to trust my line and sight less. I, along with others, felt like the last buoy was drifting away, but that could also just be my not being a strong swimmer and hoping I'd reach it sooner. Finally rounded it (slowly again) and made my way home.
What would you do differently?:

Go out harder from the front and then just focus on my breathing, forgetting about everyone else around me. Also need to trust my line and not sight so often. It throws me out of rhythm and slows me down.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Had a good transition. Didn't fall on my way out of the water like last time so that was nice. Wetsuit came off easier since I pulled it down to my ankles and then just stepped on it with one foot and pulled the other out like a 5-year old getting out of his pants. This was the first time I used yankz in a race and I loved them. Ate a little time putting socks on, but my shoes were on in no time at all. Overall, I was about a minute and a half faster in this transition than I was the last time I did it.

Sockless?
Run
  • 21m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Listened to Mark's advice and ran the first couple/few hundred yards easier than I normally would to let my HR recover. Picked up the pace, but not to full race pace because I was trying to decide if I wanted to go hard now or save it for FC. Just after the 2.5k turn around I decided I'd hit it harder on this run and see what I could do since I had the time before my next tri. Started running down a slight hill and saw Stacie ahead of me. I yelled for her to get going when I was about 25 yards behind her. She apparently heard me and tried to give me two thumbs up, but as I got closer I realized she was holding up different fingers instead. Hmmmmm. I'll bet she was just tired and forgot. :) Felt good on the turn around and saw Mark, Addam, Brett, and Ovetta on the run back in. Maintained my pace well and at times wondered if I was running fast enough because I wanted to go under 7 minute miles. Trusted my pace and gave it a final kick for the last 50 yards. Came in at 6:57/mile, which is a PR!

Start increasing my pace a little sooner and start my final kick a little sooner as well. I don't really like the surface that we run on. It's great because it's easy on my knees and body, but it's a little too gravelly for me and I never feel like I'm getting good footing. I think it's kind of a slow surface, but for this race that's fine. It's still fun.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Had some water, a couple oranges and endurolytes then talked with Shannon (swgtri) and waited and cheered for others to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting into a rhythm while breathing and indecisiveness on the run as to how hard I wanted to hit it.

Event comments:

Second time doing this and had a great time at both. It's a quick, but hard effort, but is also a good excuse to get together with friends in the middle of the week. Echoing what everyone else already said, hanging out, eating food (from the Rocky Mountain Tri Club) and drinking beers listening to 80s music (courtesy of Wright) was a great time. Look forward to the series again next year.

Last updated: 2005-09-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/17
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting out of shoes:
Swimming
00:16:09 | 750 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Overall: 8/17
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion PowerGlide Full Suit
Course: 750 meters in a pseudo-triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time:  00:59
Overall: Good
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:21:35 | 03.1 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 2/17
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on a gravelly/dirt road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-12 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Denver Surf & Turf Aquathon #5

2005-09-12 1:32 PM
in reply to: #244853

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Denver Surf & Turf Aquathon #5

Aw, I'm so sad that I wasn't there - sounds like y'all had a great time!! Nice PR on the run - that's really good considering how freaking sandy those trails are!

I love Pete Yorn - nice prerace music choice 

2005-09-12 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Savannah,
Wow-you are superman! So fast.....and I am almost always smiling.
2005-09-12 3:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
I do believe that I used the proper fingers in my salute to you on the run   That was a great race, Ryan. I heard the announcer call out your name as you left transition, and it seemed to take you  no time to pass me, and you made it look effortless too (i hate you i hate you i hate you--sorry. Kidding.). I'm already looking forward to next year's series (although the water is COLD in May for the first race).
2005-09-12 4:34 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great race Ryan!  I didn't realize it was a PR?  Nice work my man!  Later.  Have a nice off season.  This series should be even better next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Denver Surf & Turf Aquathon #5 Rss Feed