General Discussion Race Reports! » Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Maple Grove, Minnesota
United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 36m 32s
Overall Rank = 47/216
Age Group = 30-34 M
Age Group Rank = 11/30
Pre-race routine:

Special K, mini-bagel with PB, coffee, banana. Good to go. Rode down to the race sight from home with John (my neighbor). had to pick up my packet, but got there at 5:45, so minimal crowds. From there, set up transition, ran into BoostedCVC, my other neighbor Tim, and an old friend from high school. Then met up with for the BT photo, which was great to see some of the folks I've met through this year, and to meet some new ones!
Event warmup:

I did a little light stretching prior to squeezing into the wetsuit, and swam maybe 50 yards before we had to get out.
Swim
  • 26m 52s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty good swim overall. My goofy ass tried to use all the racing techniques I could from the swim clinic they had 2 weeks ago. I did a good job dolphin diving in (though I don't know that it really helped). My sighting was much better for this than Lifetime. I did the windmill at the first turn (!), and had the chance to draft on the swim back in, leading to one glancing kick to the face. Finished with dolphin dive out of the water
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Only do more swim training
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

only part I had trouble with was getting my left arm (with watch) out of the suit. I did get passed by one of the guys I was drafting with on the swim in before we got to the timing mat. My timing chip was under the suit and not a problem.

Maybe get the watch under the sleeve as well, but I would run the risk of inadvertently stopping it and not being able to see it during the swim (which really wouldn't be a loss). Maybe learn to get into the shoes on the bike. Everything else was good
Bike
  • 1h 18m 30s
  • 26.3 miles
  • 20.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I Had hard time getting my HR down after the swim. Was as high as 181 coming up the hill out of the park, and stayed above 170 until the turn at 116. Generally was doing well. Boosted CVC flew by after I crossed 10. Occasionally passed others, but I didn't really expect to pass a lot of people, given that I was in the first wave after the Elites, and the Tristar111 folks got a 15 minute head start to go 500 yards shorter on the swim. After the turn onto Cty 19, I looked at my rear gear set, as it wasn't consistently downshifting. When I picked my head up, I was just about to drop off the shoulder. I tried to quickly turn it back, which was probably my next mistake. Front wheel went off the pavement with about a 3 inch edge. I then fell back to the left onto the pavement and over the handlebars. To add insult to injury, both of my calves cramped up tight! It took about a minute to work the cramp out, another minute to figure out I wasn't seriously injured (aside from the road rash) nor missing any teeth, and another minute to look over the bike. I bent in the hood on my left handle bar pretty badly, but conveniently I don't brake the front wheel very much, and I never shift off the big cog on the crank. Everything else was fine, and I rode angry the rest of the way back in. I went off the shoulder again on 101, but was able to get it back on the road without trouble this time.

I wasn't concentrating on the road out there. I'm very lucky that I wasn't seriously injured (I did have a nice scrape on my helmet), but I definitely need to stay focused. The fall cost me the three minutes I needed to reach my goal time of 1:15.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

forgot to grab my number belt. Again, head was not in the game.

Nothing
Run
  • 48m 41s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Great run! My goal was to break 50 minutes, given the hills on the course. I did that with no trouble. Pace was almost perfect for me. Saw very few people at my same pace, and the two guys I spent anytime talking to were both BT'ers (grbac6800 and Me_Xman). grbac, i greatly appreciated your comments on the offical thread. Got smoked by Claire Bootsma finishing her second lap when I was coming around for my first. Basically just had to run my own race, but did well despite the distraction of the bleeding.

Nothing!! Overall a great run and a personal best!
Post race
Warm down:

water water water, and a little stretching. Made a spectacle of myself in the post-race zone. I didn't notice as much, but my friend John told me there were A LOT of people staring at me after the race. The first-aid crew found me and said "we heard reports of someone bleeding over here." I said, "yep, you found me!"

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously, the fall. I would have finished my bike right at my goal time, and my overall time would have been 2 minutes faster than my "high bar" goal. Otherwise, it was a great race for me!

Event comments:

After going to Lifetime, where I ran into a lifeguard every 50 yards, here they were very sparse out on the course. I wasn't likely to be a person who was going to need one, but that could have been bad. Also, the water stations on the run seemed somewhat sparsely populated. Aside from the waves starting 5-6 minutes late (which really there is no excuse for), I thought it was pretty well organized. We'll definitely be back next year, hopefully with my wife tri'ing too!

Last updated: 2011-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:52 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/30
Overall: 40/216
Performance: Good
10:40 out to the first turn, 17:20 at the second, and around 25:50 out of the water. HR was 167 at the 1st turn, and I didn't want to see it when I got out
Suit: Tyr Hurricane 3
Course: Clockwise triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:30 | 26.3 miles | 20.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/30
Overall: 60/216
Performance: Below average
Probably averaged 168.
Wind: Little
Course: Two rectangles, some rollers
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80s
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:48:41 | 06.2 miles | 07m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/30
Overall: 58/216
Mostly in upper 160s for the first lap to let my calves recover, pushed up into low 170s for second lap, and as high as 182 going up the last of the hills back to the park
Course: Two laps in the neighborhood around the lake. Some good-sized rollers around the park (big uphill out of the park, two bigger hills coming back toward it, and the second lap starts with a long, gradual climb up 82nd ave). Very nice course overall.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-08-28 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course

2011-08-28 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3662625

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course
You are an animal!  I am trying not to feel bad that you beat me on the bike by 10 minutes, despite your crash

I think it's great that you used your new OWS skills.  I briefly considered windmilling at the first turn, but then just said screw it. 

I am really impressed by your performance, which would have been great even on a day without challenges.  Great job!
2011-08-29 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3662625

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: RE: Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course

here's my race day photo

?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Olympic Course Rss Feed