General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Banff International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Subaru Banff International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Banff, Alberta
Canada
Subaru Western Triathlon Series
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 47s
Overall Rank = 75/234
Age Group = W --24
Age Group Rank = 2/25
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Banff on Fri evening after clinic (more like raced to Banff on the QE2 down to Calgary and then on the Trans Canada)...Got there in time to register and check my bike at T1. Then I had some dinner with my friend and went to bed. Woke up around 7am on Sat and had my usual pre race bagel. Dropped my run gear off at T2 in Banff and then took the bus out to T1 and sorted out my transition area. My heat didn't start till 10:34 so I had some time to relax a bit before getting my wetsuit on!
Event warmup:

Didn't really warm up all that much. Just kind of got in the water to aclimatize and do some bobs...my hands and feet took a long, painful while to adjust. It was not pleasant!! Some people had sleeveless wetsuits on too...nutters!!!
Swim
  • 24m 26s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! Not as cold as last year, but still pretty chilly. Must have not done an adequate job getting my head and neck immersed because I still got a bit of brain freeze off the start for about 200-300m. Caught up to the men's heat pretty quickly and made my way through them. Had some trouble with navigation at one point because of the sun and might have gone a little bit wonky. Had a bit of difficulty with my hands and feet in the cold. Overall I think the swim went alright though, could have been faster...but it was pretty colddddd.
What would you do differently?:

Warming up more would have been smarter...but the water was preeeetttyy chilllly. Didn't want to spend more time in there than I had to!
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

Long run from the lake up a hill to transition above. Once I got there transition went pretty smoothly. Had to pack up all my stuff into my wet bag because the race was a double transition. Transition was pretty cramped this year...not a whole lot of room to run out with bike because the alleys between the bike racks were so narrow.

Not much I myself would have done differently. I think the race organisers need to think about how to make the transition area a bit bigger so there is more room in between the bike racks. I had to lift my bike over some people because they had sat down in the middle of the aisle to take wetsuit off and put clothes on. Not enough room for people to transition and have other people running with bikes behind.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 9s
  • 38 kms
  • 31.17 km/hr
Comments:

Bike went waaaaayyyyyyyyyyy better than last year. I distinctly remember being miserable in the cold and rain after the freezing swim last year! I actually had FUN this year! I know...crazy! Haha.

First lap went well. I forgot the hill though about 3/4 of the way through the loop....man that thing is a wheezer! I guess it doesn't help that Banff itself is at 1463m/4800ft and that the bike course is a bit higher than that? Overall I think I did well though. I think that is the fastest speed I have ever held in a race to date and that bike course is not all that easy. It starts out more or less downhill but follows the "what must go down, must go up" trend of hills. Haha. Second lap was good. Finally remembered I needed to take in some nutrition and fluid. The ride into Banff almost ended in a bit of disaster over the texas gate on the Banff town side...but luckily I didn't end up puncturing. The wood slates that were overtop of them had moved a bit...so I hit pretty hard and was praying I didn't get a flat!

Nothing really. Probably could have trained a bit more on the bike post IM since I think I only ended up getting on my bike about 5-6 times in August...but it still went the best a bike has ever gone in a race?
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Fairly smooth. My feet were still numb from the swim-bike so getting my feet into my shoes was a bit of a battle to begin with, but I got my Zoots on. Grabbed my running hat and I was off!

Nothing. Good transition
Run
  • 52m 22s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 14s  min/km
Comments:

Well I think this might be an official 10k PR? Never been able to run that quick in a tri? Haha

Run started off really well compared to last year. My feet were still numb but somehow I was able to keep my cadence up and get a good rhythm going. My feet finally started to thaw about 5-6km into the run. Was pretty hot by the time the run started for me, but it went really, really well!

Nothing. 10k PR in a tri? I'll take it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and tried to find my friend. Walked my gear to my car and then walked back for the awards and had a post race meal! BURGERS!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Seems in this race the difference between 2nd and 1st was actually the bike for me. My run was on par with the girl who came 1st. It was the bike that separated us by quite a few minutes. So I guess when it comes down to it, I still need to work on the bike and run.

Event comments:

Great race! 2nd place OA in my AG, 12/86 for women and 75/234 OA! The race organisation did address most of the things that were suggested from the inaugural race the year before from gear bag changes, race route changes, increasing bike drop time the night before and putting mats down in the gravel parking lot in T1 so we didn't have to run across rocks!!

Last updated: 2011-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:26 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 12/234
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: 2X triangular loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 14C / 57F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:09 | 38 kms | 31.17 km/hr
Age Group: 7/25
Overall: 129/234
Wind: Some
Course: 2.5 loops of the Minnewaka Loop and then the rest of the ride down Banff Ave to T2. Fairly undulating course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:22 | 10 kms | 05m 14s  min/km
Age Group: 8/25
Overall: 112/234
Course: 2x loop around river and Banff town.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-12 10:00 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: Subaru Banff International Triathlon

2011-09-13 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3683579

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
Subject: RE: Subaru Banff International Triathlon
Congrats on 2nd place AG! Awesome bike time, very fast.
2011-09-13 8:50 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Sweet, an AG place is always cool!!
2011-09-16 6:54 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Congrats on a super speedy oly and a fantastic AG finish!
2011-09-17 5:44 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Banff International Triathlon Rss Feed