Ironman North America
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 24m
Overall Rank = 1911/2243
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 88/107
Pre-race routine:

Woke a little early - had to pee with all of my hydrating! I did get probably 7 hours of sleep - which is good for me. I had 2 eggs, 2 pieces of PB toast and a banana. I drank water and gatorade. Picked up Anna and we parked near SN drop off. Did that - then walked to transition. We were there early, and I am glad. Saw a VERY unsteady drunk girl in high heels at the SN drop off. Kinda funny. Anna and I chilled for awhile in the terrace - then we made our way outside. Met the family, dropped the bags and I got in the water probably at 6:35 or so?
Event warmup:

Swam about 15 yards to make sure my new goggles weren't leaking. Then I made my way to the front
Swim
  • 1h 06m 3s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was a little nervous starting in the front. Big beefy men all around. I went pretty close to shore and found a pack of women and moved over there. I saw the clock at 9:45, so I knew the cannon was going to go off. I swam the first few strokes with my head out to figure out where I was going to go and not get hit. Was perfect! Some arm banging. I did feel like someone was trying to swim over my legs at first, but I was faster - or they gave up. I am a swimmer, so I do kick. I really stayed pretty wide. I knew the buoys get bunched up, so I went around the mess. I probably could have swam this faster had I moved in for more of the race, but SO worth it to not have contact! I moved in a bit on the 2nd lap and tried drafting some, but then someone would swim crooked and I would end up passing to get around people. Oh - I did once get a foot to the face but it was not very hard - just startled me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. It was slower than what I was capable of, although not by much, but to have very little contact - I wouldn't do it differently
Transition 1
  • 10m 6s
Comments:

I really thought I would walk the helix. It just seemed like it would suck. It was SO fun! I think I heard my name a few times, but there are so many people cheering, it's hard to know where to look. I found my bag right away and a volunteer put her hand on my back and guided me to a chair. Dumped my bag and helped me put my bra on, opened my butt-butter for me. Just a rockstar volunteer! So great! I decided beforehand to put my shoes on in transition. My bike was close to the bike out and I didn't want to run that whole distance in my socks - especially if it meant a rock in my shoe or something.

nothing. I wanted to change to start fresh, and I did. I could be faster, but in the grand scheme of things - it's a really long day and I am not going to Kona, so I don't really care how long it was.
Bike
  • 7h 48m 38s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.34 mile/hr
Comments:

There is a point where we go on a narrow bike path in town and there is no passing. I got passed. The guy behind me went ballistic on the guy! I wasn't annoyed. In the grand scheme of things, it is narrow and could be a potentially dangerous area, but I don't really see the point in getting worked up about something so early in the day.

I started out trying to get my HR under control. I'm used to biking with it pretty low and it was 10-20 beats higher. The good thing is it didn't spike higher than normal on the hills. It was fun with so many people out there. I got passed A LOT! I was happy with my effort, although I was thinking I was pushing it a little. I did well with all of the hand-offs. I refilled my aero bottle with water at every aid station. The 1st one, I wanted to throw the bottle so I could get a banana and I hit a boy in the chest! Oops! I yelled sorry, but the guy passing me at the time was sure amused.

I had my garmin set to beep every 20 minutes to remind me to eat. I had Raw Rev bars cut up. I also tried to take a salt tab every hour. I did also drink gatorade. I took bananas and at one point took a gel. On the 2nd loop, I realized that I was not drinking enough. I stop to pee 3 times. The 2nd 2 stops - not much was coming out. Tried to catch up before I had to run with a sloshy belly.

The start of the 2nd loop is always a little bit of a bummer. But, I was REALLY working hard on Hwy G. Then when I took the corner onto Hwy 92, my back tire skidded a bit. A little down the road, I was wondering what was happening to me. I had steadily been going down in speed for about 5 miles or so. Finally looked down - I was getting a flat! UGH! And I really was intending to change that tube last week. Decided - nothing new on race day. Really wish I could change that pre-race decision! I had a tough time popping the wheel. The tube got twisted and I was really struggling with it. A friendly competitor - I think he was 1376 - asked if he could help. I was SOOO relieved. This was a really low mental point for me and I was cramping under my rib cage. He couldn't figure out the twist either and it turns out it seemed to be made that way! So - we put the other tube I had in. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO grateful for his help. In all, it took 30 minutes to change this tire! UGH! But - I plugged along after this. I did get stung by a bee, but it was a minor irritation. Itches today though. The hills were GREAT! I thought it would be annoying, but it was something to look at instead of focusing on the difficulty of the hills. It was funny too that my bib said "Gwendolyn", and up the last hill 2nd loop, a woman start a chant to get "Gwendolyn up the hill". I'm not used to hearing that being yelled at me! The tail wind on the way back was so nice, but I was ready to be done. I knew my hydration was going to be an issue and I was a little worried about that. I kept trying to stay in the moment, and I did okay overall with it.

Practice changing tires. Drink more.
Transition 2
  • 12m 23s
Comments:

I was happy to have my friend Wade catch me. Had a brief chat with him and then grabbed my fullest bottle of gatorade and garmin, and ran in to get my bag. They pointed and said straight out, but it was the wrong door. The crowd just parted and let me through. My volunteer was great, she helped me with my bra and put my compression socks on, I was SOO appreciative for her help. I could tell she didn't know a lot though - she was trying to figure out what a few things were. It was kinda cute. I was happy to sit.

Nothing. I needed the break and I really was concerned about cramping, so I wanted to put my compression socks on. I just kept cramping under my ribcage.
Run
  • 6h 06m 50s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m  min/mile
Comments:

Well - I knew I was dehydrated. I ran the 1st mile and decided to walk a bit. I ran through Camp Randall - how often does one get to do that? I then adapted a .5 mile run/.5 mile walk. I drank my gatorade and then refilled it at the aid stations at least 6 times. I also took orange slices and grapes. I did eventually take some perform - the orange is much easier to drink. Chicken broth was like gold! The chips also went down easier. I tried "coke" - only it was pepsi. NOT the same thing PEOPLE! I'm more of a coke girl. It was okay, but they were out at the next aid station or 2. So I stuck to water and chicken broth.

Jen caught me at about mile 12, so I decided to stick with her. We shared some tough training days, and it was nice to share this too. That was a lifesaver for me. We parted around mile 19 or 20? She stopped at the porta-potty before the State St. turnaround and I stopped after. I thought she would catch me. I was getting anxious to be done, so I started running more. I ran a good chunk of the last mile. People on State St. were SO fun. Everyone cheers and says "just ahead you will be an Ironman". It started to hit me then that I was going to finish before my end goal of 10:30 pm. I saw Wade at the corner by Starbucks and gave him my water bottle so I didn't have to cross the line with it. He told me where my family was -slapped hands with them - ran to the other side where my friends were and ran through. I passed 2 guys to the finish. I really debated slowing down - but the momentum just carried me. I did not hear Mike Reilly say anything. Wade captured it so I heard it today. I was SO happy to be done!

Not get dehydrated on the bike. I would say run more, but considering I ended up in the medical tent, I don't know that I would have finished. I think my decision making let me finish both hot races this year.
Post race
Warm down:

Had pictures and hugs. Walked to the spot where my son was sleeping on the side of the street along the finishing area. I had to keep moving. My mother-in-law was taking the kids home and my sister was leaving, so we hugged and parted ways. I rapidly went downhill - stopped to try to pee and told Rob I needed the med tent. I was very close to passing out. Turns out I lost 16 pounds! They had a very hard time finding a vein and took forever to get an IV started. My fingers and lips were tingling and going numb. My HR was 60, which is normal for me (actually a little hight) - but I'm guessing right after a race it is not. My BP was good though. I ended up not being well enough to leave on my own when the med tent closed at midnight, so I had to take an ambulance ride to Meriter. In all, I had 3 bags of fluid. I also drank chicken broth in the med tent and had pedialyte at the hospital.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat/hydration

Event comments:

Overall - this was SUCH an experience! A once in a lifetime - for me. I could probably do better, but that isn't what Ironman is about for most people. I think we all have goals and try to better them, but the overall experience and the majority of the people you share it with are what make it phenomenal. There are some super serious people that are a little too intense, but overall everyone develops such a camaraderie. Congrats to anyone who even tried this. It is an experience just training for it.

Last updated: 2011-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:06:03 | 4224 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/107
Overall: 0/2243
Performance: Good
Age group - 6/107 finsihers 307/2243 finishers
Suit: xterra sleeveless
Course: counter clockwise rectangle - 2 loops
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:48:38 | 112 miles | 14.34 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Age Group Rank - 83/107 finishers Overall Rank - 1958/2243 finishers
Wind: Some
Course: Stick and 2 loops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 12:23
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:06:50 | 26.2 miles | 14m  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Age Group - 88/107 finishers Overall Rank - 1911/2243
Course: 2 loops of an out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %12%
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-12 10:07 PM

User image

Regular
Stoughton, WI
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2011-09-13 5:26 AM
in reply to: #3683585

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Congratulations!!
Excellent RR....sorry about the flat and trip to the hospital

Great Job Wendy!
2011-09-13 5:28 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

AWESOME REPORT!!! Congratulations IronMan!!!

Glad you knew when to go to the medical tent! because u needed it bad. As you said, the whole experience from the training to the finish is fantastic ;-). An experience you will carry for ever!

Enjoy your post Ironman bliss...

2011-09-13 7:05 AM

User image

New user
Congrats on being an Ironman
2011-09-13 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Madison
Congratulations Wendy!  You really did awesome and I was so happy to see you out there during the race and after you became an IRONMAN!!
2011-09-13 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Way to stick it out...AWESOME job!!!!  Congrats

2011-09-13 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Bronze member
CONGRATS Wendy!  I am so grateful that we met at HHH and were able to share this summer together!  And meeting up with you during the marathon was the best thing that could have happened to me.  Thank you so much for the 7+ miles of support!  When we saw you yesterday morning you didn't mention your trip to the hospital...I'm so glad you are okay!

Sorry your day didn't go exactly as planned, but your attitude was inspiring!  And remember....what do they call someone who finishes at 11:59?  An IRONMAN!
2011-09-13 8:53 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job Wendy!  Treasure the memories.  You are an IRONMAN!!!
2011-09-13 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Western WI
great RR, thanks! - Congrats IRONMAN!!
2011-09-13 9:48 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Wow Wendy!! Congrats on a great race! Glad you are ok! Thank you for training with me this year too.  Great job Ironman!
2011-09-13 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Madison
Congratulations Wendy! 

2011-09-13 4:22 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I'm trying to remember if I met you.  I was the bike mount guy at the top of the Helix, and then I was the Camp Randall guy telling people to watch their step as they entered and made the right onto the turf.

Congratulations, IRON(WO)MAN!

2011-09-13 4:26 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Great race!  Smoking fast swim time!
2011-09-13 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Congratulations!!
Sorry to hear about your flat, not to mention having to spend some time in the hospital. But you did it, Ironman!
2011-09-14 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI
Great to see you out there Wendy.  Glad you are feeling better now.  You are an Ironman!
2011-09-16 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
16 POUNDS!!!  Holy crap.  I am waaaay impressed that you finished this IM and in quite a respectable time, might I add.  You even managed to beat your goal time with such sucky things happening to you.  Truly, you are an Ironman!!!  Congrats.

2011-09-16 8:14 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats Ironman!

Flat and trip to the hospital didn't keep you from finishing...great job.

Enjoy the post IM glow...well deserved!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed