REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 59m 9s
Overall Rank = 85/303
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/41
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am, checked email, Facebook'd how to track me, ate a bowl of GF granola, a greek yogurt, and some sports drink.

Got dressed, tattoo'd (the rev3 body marking tattoos are so cool!), gathered my stuff and drove with Karen and Joe down to transition (did I mention how nice it was for them to let me go with 5 days notice??).

I start to get really nervous when in transition - i had not yet been nervous about this event but it started to really hit me that I just finished IMKY at 13:15 2 weeks prior and I had no idea what to expect of my body.

I tried to move past it, stuff some socks in my T2 bag (which I decided to change out for the race socks at the last minute), pumped my tires, synced my bike computer which had reset (more on that later), and got out of there.

Transition was SO less crowded for an IM event than I am used to. it was refreshing. It had less of a "huge deal" feel to it since there were soooo many less people, but I really enjoyed it. I was able to focus on ME. Which I think was part of my day's success.
Event warmup:

Went about knee deep in the water to acclimate - it was roughly 70 degrees and I decided to wear a wetsuit (full) so i wanted to see how it felt.
Swim
  • 1h 14m 27s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm starting to believe that I am a 1:10:00-1:15:00 IM swimmer. I keep posting those times and keep thinking "way faster than I am!", but I guess not.

I think for my next IM I want to focus on shaving some time off here. I see no good reason I couldn't be a <1:05:00 swimmer.

Lake Erie is VILE. VILE VILE VILE. Seriously, the mud is up to your waist and you have to run in because it is so shallow for so far. That said, they did a great job getting out as much mud as they could - common theme - they do a good job running a race.

The course was easy, plenty of sighting buoys and i think I did my best job ever sighting.

I was panicking on the first 600m thinking I was way slow and that my body was not as ready as I may have thought. I considered bailing on the turnaround but got a rhythm soon thereafter and kept it up.
What would you do differently?:

Just be a better swimmer, I am what I am right now. 1:09 @ IMKY and 1:14 here. This was a harder swim despite the wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 05m 14s
Comments:

Decent T1. I kinda took it a little easy here and probably could have shaved 30 seconds on this if I had "rushed"

Oh, no one put sunscreen on me - I had to myself. Just a difference to point out versus IMKY (in T2 they did apply for me here though)

Also, the sunscreen was Jack Black lotion - seemed to work well.

I chose to go slower than IMKY, it was overall faster, but just because tehre is less distance to travel.
Bike
  • 5h 58m 21s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.75 mile/hr
Comments:

So this was an adventure... first the course and race staff.... they were awesome. The course has a 10 mile stretch of chip seal which was AWFUL, but else it wa sa great course. I loved biking up the hill into Milan. Great town. Don't think this course is flat - it is NOT. It is not VERY hilly, but it is CONSTANT rollers with 1 steep but VERY short climb. Aid stations were well stocked with water, gels (gu - multiple flavors including roctane), and Gatorade Pro LL and Orange.

Plenty of staff at all aid stations, plenty of police on the course... great event, like I keep saying.

Now, about my ride. I went into this ride/race telling people actively that I was aiming for a 6:30 here - slower than IMKY on a slightly easier course (I say slightly, but I'm not entirely sure how I'd stack them up. This was def easier, but by how much? not a ton, IMKY is not really "hilly" either, just rollers with a couple real climbs - wind was more of an issue here than there).

So anyway, coming out of transition my bike pc (Timex Ironman Global Trainer) is telling me I'm going 15-16mph. No one is passing me and I'm totally stunned. My HR is already in the mid 130s and I feel like I'm going fast... but I'm not. Am I going to have to shut it down? Am I not nearly as recovered as I thought I was?

Around mile 10 or so I ask a guy passing me his speed... he was going 24. He didn't FLY by me, there was no way he was 9mph faster than me. SO i try to tag onto him in a legal length and assume he stays somewhat constant... my speedo says 18mph... did he drop 6mph after passing me on a flat with no wind? I doubt it...

Finally I see a mile marker for mile 20... my speedo says roughly 15. I do some quick math, I'm running at 75% of actual so 15~-20mph.

What happened? I just rode my bike the other day and it was all working? Is it possible that my sensor is picking up a consistent 75% of all revolutions? I eventually figure it out that my watch had reset the night before and part of that was WHEEL CIRCUMFRENCE! DUHHHH. It thinks I'm on some mega-small wheel.

Anyway, I recognize this means that the deviation is constant and use the math as something to play with - always trying to figure out my exact speed using some math. I also realize my average is WAY above what will get me a 6:30... I also realize I"m at 19.1mph when I averaged it all out at one point.

At that point I made the call... if my HR stays within 1-2 beats of 140 average, I'm not paying attention to speed... it is what it is. I know my training well enough to know that @ 140 I'm safe.

Regarding nutrition where I royally screwed up 2 weeks ago... this time I took in a ton. Nothing I had ever practiced - just had faith in the old iron stomach.

6 Gu (600 calories)~
2 Gu Chomps (360 calories)
1.5 snickers (340 calories)
1 Bonk Buster (240 calories)
2 scoops IM perform (160 calories)
1.5 20oz G Pro (225 calories)
2 Endurolytes
Roughly 12-20oz of water per hour depending on various things.

Total of 1925 calories on the bike - compared to roughly 800-900 (solid and liquid) @ IMKY.

What a difference. Mile 70 came and went with no bonk. Never had to stop, though I could have to pee, but I didn't.

Nothing, I think I've got a good bead on this now. I'm ready to get faster.
Transition 2
  • 04m 20s
Comments:

Good T2 - nothing different here.

Not pee, but I just had to. Need to learn to pee on bike better, I've dont it before, but could not today.
Run
  • 4h 36m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

This was fantastic. I came out of T2 like a beast... posted my first 4.4 miles @ 9:44. I felt STRONG. I kept thinking to Kinetic which was the first 70.3 where I put a good run together and kept thinking that this felt like that - manageable pain. I was literally enjoying the pain, exactly like I wanted to.

I kept seeing aid stations and run mile markers go by and I'd only walk the aid stations - I did that for the entire first 13.1 I walked a touch more then next 4 miles to mile 17 and then put it together and did 10:12s or something for the last segment.

Aid stations were fantastic and well stocked, one even had jelly beans.

Karen, with whom i traveled, did notice a lot of "help" happening with nutrition being left on the course for people, so it is a shame that the refs didn't catch more of this (it doesn't look like they did). BUt it is what it is... I'm there to do the best I can. And I think I did. I wonder what my time would have been had I not just done IMKY 2 weeks prior, but I can't complain - I PR'd by 1:16:00 over my IMKY time (and thus best IM time).

It was mostly thanks to the run which I just gutted it out... I felt great for the first time on an IM run, no cramps, no headache, nausea... just running like I was training.

GREAT time.

A touch more mental toughness to reduce the middle split to under 11:00 averages.

And that's all it was... mental toughness, I had the legs to do it.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to medic tent to get ice for knees, purely precautionary. Was considering trying to bum an IV, but medics were busy tending to people that looked like they really needed them, so I let it be.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IMKY 2 weeks prior, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Event comments:

Really well done race. Rev3 does what they say they do.

I can list complaints easily since there are so few:

1) I registered on Monday prior to the race for the full and they had me registered for the half - the resolved on-site with no issues

2) Athlete brunch Monday AM was LAME. Bagels and muffins. I just did an IM... give me some eggs or something.

3) Practice swim was cancelled Monday AM with no online notice.

Last updated: 2011-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:14:27 | 3862 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/41
Overall: 68/303
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: 2 triangles
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:58:21 | 112 miles | 18.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/41
Overall: 101/303
Performance: Good
Avg Cad: 91 Avg HR: 141
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 loops plus a 23M out and back
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:36:42 | 26.2 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/41
Overall: 85/303
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 148 including 1 hour with an average of 158
Course: one overpass hill, rest mostly flight with very, very slight rollers, almost not noticable most of the time. Lots of little out and backs. Fun course, much more enjoyable than IMKY - and not just saying that because I do so piss poor there.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3.2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-13 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
Subject: Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev

2011-09-14 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3684502

User image

Regular
Holland, Mich.
Subject: RE: Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev
Well done!  Holy schmoly, two IM's in a month!  Incredible, Ironman X 2!
2011-09-14 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Nice RR..

Nice that you kept at in the swim..

Way to get it done bro man..
2011-09-14 10:36 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Wow...two IMs in two weeks and you PR the second one in great fashion...that is totally commendable and awesome! Way to go!
2011-09-20 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I LOVE your bike review lol, too much math while moving for me, but good on ya!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev Rss Feed