Moment Sporting Events
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 35m 4s
Overall Rank = 113/669
Age Group = FMIL
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

To clarify the rankings above, I was the only one entered in the Female Military division, so 1 of 1 is easy! Ha! But, had I raced age group, I would've been 3rd out of 41. I'll take either of those stats! :) I'll do all the stats based on AG, not based on 1/1! Ha!

So, this is an early race with transition opening at 5AM and transition closing at 6:20AM. Last year I thought showing up at 5:45 would be just fine. No, not so much. Californians get to their races EARLY. So, I decided to get there when it opened. Woke up at 4AM, got dressed, ate b'fast and made the coffee to go (yay for auto-start) and headed out. It's about a 15-20 min drive. So, I get there as it's supposed to be opening, and there were already several folks there! Crazy. Anyhow, I was in the LAST wave cause I was in the military division. Me and a bunch of dudes (not many military, but also with M29 and under). The racks were by waves. I got set up. Got a decent rack spot. They do transition so no one really has an advantage, so that is nice and fair. I hit the porta potties a few times (no major lines), and just grabbed my stuff and headed to the start. Took half a GU Roctane about 15 mins prior to start.
Event warmup:

I did about a 3/4 mile easy run about 45 minutes or so before race start.
Swim
  • 28m 47s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Despite starting with a lot of guys, we were well spread out (maybe 60 in the wave?) and there wasn't too much contact minus the guys that can't swim straight. Seriously, some people need to practice siting, we're talking going nearly perpendicular to what they were supposed to go and that was within the first 500m's or so! The rest of the swim was fairly uneventful, water calm, but did have to do a lot of dodging of earlier waves.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster. I tried to focus on good form and just need to do more of that. I think I could've gone sleeveless in this and it might've helped. Not sure.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

I'm surprised this is as fast as it is given the decently long run to the transition area and getting the suit off on my own. I even had to take a quick second to wipe off my sunglasses cause they were totally wet from my slinging my wetsuit off.

Not get the glasses wet, more proficient at wetsuit removal.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 14s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.09 mile/hr
Comments:

So, I had gear issues again. Not like Cedar Point (where I basically had two), but this time I still couldn't get into as easy a gear as I wanted in either the big or small ring without a horrible and worrisome noise that I wanted to avoid. If I could've worked this out I could've been a tad faster. Also, being in the last wave meant it was a passing fest for me. There was a portion that is no passing zone due to a couple of speed bumps, but both times I got stuck behind people on hybrid type bikes and it just really slowed me down. There course wasn't as rough as last year (pavement wise), but there are a lot of turns/u-turns and I'm honestly just not that good at doing those fast. But, when I hit the downhills, I bombed them the best I could. I was flying on the flats and the downhills. I had fun going back and forth with a couple of guys who were good sports about it. Saw them afterwards too. Passed an RWB guy out there too! Yay! Two of us on the course! In general, the bike went well, I had fun, and really, it was simply too short and done too fast! It's a good course for where they are for sure, it just got a bit crowded for me the whole time and that slowed a bit. BUT--unlike last year, I did NOT wipe out! This is a victory! Last week and this week has confirmed that I think I'm finally in the right position on the bike for power and for comfort. So, I think the Retul fit was worth it, and I also changed out the pads on my aero bars from the harder/plastic like ones that came on the Felt to my profile design soft and comfy ones. I think this has helped my back and neck, seriously! Ate one GU Roctane about 2/3rds of the way through the bike and about 30ozs of water.

Learn how to better WRENCH on my bike cause these mechanicals are slowing me down a tad--not bad, YET, but could be bad at some point. I also totally FORGOT to reattach my saddle bag so I was praying for no flats or I'd have been DONE! I need to take turns better too. I'm not efficient at those.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Came out of the shoes before I came into transition. Fastest in AG by 30 secs. Just came in, racked the bike quickly, helmet off, shoes slipped on (sans socks), grabbed hat, Garmin, and race belt and took off--putting those on as I ran.

Nothing. This was quite smooth. 33rd fastest overall.
Run
  • 48m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

So, when I started I had an odd quasi-side stitch, but higher than a side-stitch. I felt good overall and just tried to keep it steady, I tried to keep it fairly steady and somewhat comfortable (but still hard if that makes sense) for the first loop, and then pick it up harder the second loop. I did do that and negative split the run, so I'm happy with that. Was not passed by any women on the run (or the bike)--which means none of the women I passed on the bike passed me on the run. Every woman I caught I was beating because of being in the last wave. So that was a little motivational--lots of rabbits. The last mile I had a really good kick, well, the last 1.5 miles cause the course was long. Took one GU (love that both this race and last week's at Cedar Point have GU brand on the course cause that's what I love!) during the run and grabbed some water three times I think. Weather was PERFECT (overcast and not hot) for racing and that helped keep cool and limit water intake needed. That weird side-stitch went away a little before the end of the first loop.

Pick it up just a tad sooner. I just didn't know what I was going to be able to churn out just 6 days after a half-iron. Haven't raced an Olympic distance since this race last year. I could go harder on this run I think. But overall, I feel I did this well.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished and felt like I needed to keep going--it felt so short! Anyhow, got my medal and drank down some water and ate part of a banana. I then headed to the transition area to put a shirt on and calf sleeves and pack my gear up and grab ID. Yep, grab ID--cause they have a Beer and Wine Garden. So, I headed over there. Ran into the other RWB guy and chit chatted a bit. Grabbed a small slice of pizza (usually don't care for pizza post race, but they get some good stuff, not horribly greasy and this was just tomatoes and seasoning for the topping!), and then to the beer/wine garden where I enjoyed a couple of small mimosas and pinot grigio as I waited for the awards and raffle. Got my award, didn't win anything in the raffle. Then took off!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Week post-half iron, crowded course due to last wave, mechanical on bike. In general, I'm pretty happy with how I felt. Again, NO BACK PAIN. I cannot stress how great it is to run and feel solid running without that back pain that plagued me so painfully at CA70.3 and CdA on the run! Makes the race so much more fun. I really think the pads on the aerobars and fit adjustments did the trick. I know some of you deal with pain on the run all the time, and I have respect for you gutting it out.

Event comments:

This was better than last year. I'll give it to Moment Cycle Sport (my LBS!) in doing a top notch job. Packet pick could be improved some, but the race itself was on time, organized, course marked better than last year and secured better than last year, decent post-race food choices (fruit, bagels, several varieties of pizza), and a free beer/wine garden for EVERYONE not just racers--just had to show ID. So thanks to Stone Brewery and Barefoot wines, it made it nice and I got to chat with some fellow racers. Their awards are nice, handcrafted, and unique. You get two shirts, and they are high quality--I think the race shirt this year is one of the best I've ever had. Awesome design, comfortable, and classy. Not a huge fan of the actual bike course--but they use what they can and you do get some good views. Just too many turns for my liking. But, that's personal. Great race execution by Moment! Fun race--and on a Saturday, which is nice!

Last updated: 2011-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:47 | 1500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/1
Overall: 195/669
Performance:
Suit: X-Terra Vector Pro 2
Course: Rectangle in counter clockwise direction in a channel off the San Diego Bay.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:14:14 | 24.85 miles | 20.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/1
Overall: 122/669
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Through urban area, through sub base and up a big hill, then through Cabrillo Nat'l monument, back down the hill, repeat 2 loop course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:42 | 06.21 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/1
Overall: 148/669
Performance: Good
Course: Two loop course with half on hard dirt trail. Mine, and most others Garmins had it at betweeen 6.5-6.6 miles vs. 6.2. Which makes sense with what I was running. That gives me near a 7:24min/mile. Gets narrow at times.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-17 11:25 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: San Diego Triathlon Classic

2011-09-18 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3690897

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: RE: San Diego Triathlon Classic
nice job!
2011-09-19 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3690897

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: San Diego Triathlon Classic
Awesome job as always B !!Congrats on the military win and super AG placings!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Diego Triathlon Classic Rss Feed