Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-09-23 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3698063

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: skiers, helmet or not

I learned to ski many years ago when you seldom saw people wearing helmets.  There was no question in our minds that our daughter would always wear a helmet once we starting bringing her skiing a few years ago.  Last year my husband and I both decided it was foolish of us to not have helmets so we bought them at the beginning of the season last year.  I have to say it is way more comfortable then I imagined!  I can not even think about heading down the slopes without it now.  

Now I am getting antsy for ski season with all this ski talk.

2011-09-23 8:46 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Never wore one.  Taught daughter to ski when she was 4.  While skiing with her at Heavenly (I think), an out of control skier on another hill took out a child....and she died.  Bought the helmet for the daughter that night, and both boys had one before we put them on skis.

Took me a few more years before I wore one when I was skiing without the kids, but I do now.  Have to admit, my helmet has an ipod connection, which I love.

2011-09-24 9:21 AM

User image

Regular
Started skiing at age four and didn't wear one for the next 20 years.  Then, while skiing with friends, we started talking about the future and kids and whether I would make my kids wear a helmet when they learned to ski.  As I answered, "Absolutely!", I realized how hypocritical it was for me not to wear one.  Bought one that day and have worn one ever since.  My kids started wearing them when they learned, and I'm pretty certain will always wear one.  They're comfortable, keep your head (and body) much warmer than a hat in cold conditions, and after a while are barely noticeable even during the warmest spring skiing conditions.
2011-09-24 10:08 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

someone hit me and left me for dead on the side of the trail almost 3 years ago.  Broken humerus, shredded rotator cuff, torn ligaments in L thumb.  NO head injuries even tho my head banged down the icy trail a good 50 feet.  Helmet looked fine but I replaced it anyhow.

it happens.  Might be you next time.

2011-09-24 10:36 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Yes, I will be wearing a helmet
2011-09-24 10:49 AM

User image

Expert
Helmet always.  I've seen too many severe head injuries and deaths, and they are usually on easy or intermediate slopes, and someone (usually not the injured person) does something stupid.  And it's warm!

2011-09-24 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3698295

User image

Lafayette, CO
twomarks - 2011-09-23 2:59 PM

Helmet for a few reasons:

• Park City's cold and it will help keep you toasty
  • It will help when some snowboarder comes screaming down the hill out of control and takes you out (if you're a responsible snowboarder - thank you for setting a good example - recklessness on either skis or a snowboard is inexcusable, but the ability to avoid a run-in seems to be much lower on the snowboard)

If you're going to buy gear there - make sure you go by SureFoot - I think they're in two locations at the base of two resorts.  I don't ski often, but made to fit ski boots are a luxury I was happy to shell out hard earned money for.

twomarks

While I wholeheartedly agree that well fit boots are very important I disagree that SureFoot is the way to go.  They charge a lot of money for a not great job.  I battled a pair that I got there for 2.5 years before buying a new pair and being fit elsewhere. There are fantastic bootfitters all over the world.  Here is a link to SKI magazine's list of the top 15.  Number 11 is in Park City.  http://www.skinet.com/ski/galleries/15-best-bootfitters

2011-09-24 3:41 PM

User image

Elite
Utah

Helmet... hands down.
Esp @ Park City, there's a lot of east slopes that get "icy".  And from personal experience, when that out of control idiot who is on skis for the first time w/ no lessons (b/c his drunk friends just told him to "tuck and go") hits you from the back, it HURTS!!!

And you don't have to buy one.  A lot of shops are now offering them through rentals (a lot of my afterschool ski kids rent them).

And while you're out here, you should hit the west side of the Wasatch.  Our snow is better and less snotty - and we were skiing a long time before they were last year Snowbird and Brighton ALWAYS have the best powder stashes ( IMHO ).

2011-09-24 8:10 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
YES HELMET.   I will mail you mine to borrow and you can mail it backif you want.  Fortunately I have Never had an accident with it on BUT I have several dings in it ALL from people wacking me in the headeither with a ski pole or the safety bar on the lift.  I would have been knocked out several times from that safety bar and i think someones ski clipped my head as  i got off a lift once. 

I have a friend who is an expert skiier......as in he has been on the cover of ski magazine expert skiier jumps off of cliffs etc.He never skis without one.   Get one borrow one rent one wear one
2011-09-25 7:22 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Absolutely 100% YES to a helmet. 

In December of 2007 I was in a major accident where an out of control snowboarder smashed into me sending me crashing into a very large tree.  On top of breaking my back for the second time, I ended up with a major head injury as well which could have been infinitely worse had I not been wearing it.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how good your skill set is, you can be taken out in an instant by someone else. 

Be safe! 

2011-09-25 8:57 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
I learned as a kid, skiied some in college and a few times after. No one wore helmets then. We're thinking of getting back up the mountain this year (though we say that most every year) and I would not have thought to wear one, since I never have. If we actually end up going, we'll rent gear and no doubt rent helmets as well. We'd never ride our bikes without them, so it's pretty much the same, except more crazy people on the slopes (maybe).

2011-09-26 8:47 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I haven't read all of the replies, but put me down as a big YES vote for helmets.

I'll share a little story with you.... My husband & I used to teach skiing at a small mountain in Pennsylvania. During the time that we were part-time instructors, early one week-day morning, all of the heads of the ski school - really, REALLY good skiers with years of experience, went out for an early morning run. These were typically fast runs, since there would be hardly anyone else out on the slopes at that point. Part-way through the run, they stopped to regroup. When they stopped, the head of the ski school caught an edge, lost his balance, went over the berm and landed head-first on a rock. He left his wife a widow and his 3 kids without a dad - so, yes... absolutely wear a helmet. It doesn't matter how good a skier you are, accidents can happen. Plus, you have NO control over who might be barreling down the mountain behind you. I've seen my share of out of control skiers on the slopes, and any one of them could easily take you out before you know what hit you.

Everyone in our family wears helmets to ski.... better safe than sorry!
2011-09-26 8:50 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Has anyone mentioned that you should wear a helmet?

I'm a novice skier but I still find myself following the trails into the trees. (I think it's a guy thing)  Plus as the others have mentioned, even if your the greatest and safest skier in the world, there's always the guy barreling down the hill out of control that you have to worry about.

2011-09-26 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3699002

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
geauxtri - 2011-09-24 4:41 PM

Helmet... hands down.
Esp @ Park City, there's a lot of east slopes that get "icy".  And from personal experience, when that out of control idiot who is on skis for the first time w/ no lessons (b/c his drunk friends just told him to "tuck and go") hits you from the back, it HURTS!!!

And you don't have to buy one.  A lot of shops are now offering them through rentals (a lot of my afterschool ski kids rent them).

And while you're out here, you should hit the west side of the Wasatch.  Our snow is better and less snotty - and we were skiing a long time before they were last year Snowbird and Brighton ALWAYS have the best powder stashes ( IMHO ).

Hey!  Those areas in the Cottonwood Canyons are supposed to be SECRET!  Now you've done it!!!

As for helmet, my whole family has always worn one, always will.  Before the helmet era my sister was knocked unconscious on a bunny hill in PA by an out of control snowboarder, she ended up with a moderate concussion (she now wears a helmet as well)

2011-09-26 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

I always wear a helmet now.  I admit I miss wearing my touk hat, or on a nice spring day wearing a baseball hat backwards w/ goggles, but I've had a few too many crashes and concussions so I always wear on.  I've even gone w/ a full face helmet cause I get ht with branches all the time in the trees.

Powder Mt.

And just to "even the sides" - I've been taken out by a couple out of control skiers on the slopes as well - occupational hazard of instructing.   I've also been run into by skiers going backwards (which is all the rage now)  And the worst was I had a skier hit me upside the head while in the line for the tram at snowbird cause he turned around while carrying his skis on his shoulder, luckily I was still wearing a helmet. 

2011-09-26 1:01 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

Sonny Bono didn't wear a helmet, now he's dead..

Oh PAGE 3!

Edited by SoberTriGuy 2011-09-26 1:01 PM

2011-09-26 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3700688

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
SoberTriGuy - 2011-09-26 2:01 PM

Oh PAGE 3!

Actually, Sonny Bono was murdered..... (tin foil hat link)

"Bono, an experienced skier, was ambushed on the slopes by hired hitmen, who beat him to death and then staged a tree collision, Mr. Gunderson said."

But seriosly - A helmet will not protect you from every fall or collision - just like a bike helmet wont.  But your chances are better with one than with out.

Just to clarify - a helmet most likely wouldnt have helped sonny (disregarding that he was attacked), he was hoped up on pain meds (fact: not conspiracy theory), too tired ("this is my last run" - you never take a last run, any experienced skier knows that you always skip the last run) and ran head, more like face, first into a tree - given his facial injuries.  No helmet will protect you from a face impact into a tree, unless you have a full face helmet, which 99.99% dont wear

Michael Kennedy however most likley would have survived as he wasnt going that fast, and his impact was w/ the back of his head. (skiing backwards, trying to catch a football while video taping)

2011-09-26 2:47 PM

Veteran
Helmet.  I'm not too worried about crashing hard myself, but there are a lot of out of control skiers out there who could crash into me.  In fact, a couple of years ago I was involved in the prosecution of a teenager who was skiing out of control and crashed into a mother who was not wearing a helmet and killed her.  A helmet would have saved her life. 
2011-09-27 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Helmets are unnecessary unless you have something inside your skull worth protecting. Tongue out
2011-09-27 1:52 PM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Been Ski-ing since I was 5 (boarding since 12), back then we never thought about wearing helmets, only ever wore a helmet in competition, when I started my son at 4, he wore a helmet, every time we go, he has a helmet, would not let him on the slopes without it......but still don't have one myself......reminds me of those parents I see on bikes who make their kids wear helmets and don't wear one themselves, really annoys me, so dangerous.

Ok, I'm buying a helmet....no good reason not to, lots of good reasons to.

2011-09-28 6:30 AM

User image

Regular
Collegeville, PA
Definitely helmet.  First because you can't be accountable for what everyone else is doing on the slopes.  If you've ever had someone come wailing off a snowbank and buzz your head, you know what I mean.  Second, snow, ice, weather and the mountain can be unpredictable.  I don't do anything outrageously dangerous, but I've replaced two helmets in the last 3 seasons due to impact - its easy to catch an edge or miss seeing a bump in bad visibility and end up landing on your dome.

2011-09-28 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3700772

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
ratherbesnowboarding - 2011-09-26 1:43 PM

SoberTriGuy - 2011-09-26 2:01 PM

Oh PAGE 3!

Actually, Sonny Bono was murdered..... (tin foil hat link)

"Bono, an experienced skier, was ambushed on the slopes by hired hitmen, who beat him to death and then staged a tree collision, Mr. Gunderson said."

But seriosly - A helmet will not protect you from every fall or collision - just like a bike helmet wont.  But your chances are better with one than with out.

Just to clarify - a helmet most likely wouldnt have helped sonny (disregarding that he was attacked), he was hoped up on pain meds (fact: not conspiracy theory), too tired ("this is my last run" - you never take a last run, any experienced skier knows that you always skip the last run) and ran head, more like face, first into a tree - given his facial injuries.  No helmet will protect you from a face impact into a tree, unless you have a full face helmet, which 99.99% dont wear

Michael Kennedy however most likley would have survived as he wasnt going that fast, and his impact was w/ the back of his head. (skiing backwards, trying to catch a football while video taping)

A helmet also would have most likely saved Natasha Richardson's life.

I've been taken out by an equal number of snow boarders and skiers as far as I can recollect. The worst was not so much the pain from the collision as it was that I was nursing a shoulder injury and fell onto that arm. It hurt.
2011-09-28 6:49 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI

I have skied all my life, raced through high school and college and coached after that.  AND my parents have a ski shop...so i feel like i'm in the scene pretty deep.   Here's my two cents:  Whoever said helmets are cool now is absolutely right.  Especially out west.  I bet those without helmets will be in the minority.  And of course, there’s the safety factor mentioned above.  I too, have heard of and seen numerous examples of helmets literally saving people's lives... mine included.  So yes, wear one – you’ll be hip AND safe!

(have fun!)

2011-09-28 7:09 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Helmet.  If nothing else it is actually more comfortable for the goggles (IMO).  I have one that has headphones for the ear pieces.  Love it.  I'm going to snowboard with music anyways and I prefer to not have the buds shoved in my ear.  These are super comfortable and allow me to hear everything around me.  Even continue to hold conversations with my friends.  Getting one that fits is key though.  Just like a bike helmet.  Your not likely to wear it if it is uncomfortable so try lots on
2011-09-28 10:01 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Izzy loves her helmet.

This was two years ago. She's totally stoked for ski season this year. I'm contemplating taking her to the Warren Miller Premier in Madison.

We've been watching ski movies in the evening while my wife puts #2 to sleep. Maybe we'll start wearing our helmets and boots while we watch ski movies like I did when I was a kid (minus the helmet).

Edited by graceful_dave 2011-09-28 10:04 PM

(17039_1315336399920_1126007608_30992309_7731630_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
17039_1315336399920_1126007608_30992309_7731630_n.jpg (27KB - 23 downloads)
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » skiers, helmet or not Rss Feed  

of 3