General Discussion Race Reports! » Made To Tri – Huntington Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Made To Tri – Huntington Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Northport, New York
United States
Vicobe Productions
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 26s
Overall Rank = 138/500
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 12/35
Pre-race routine:

I stayed with my best friend who lives 0.3 miles from the transition area. I woke up @ 4:15 AM. I did not have my normal cereal or diet soda so I headed over to transition on my bike.

I was one of the first 5 racers there and took the spot on the end of my rack. From the number of people having issues figuring out where and how to rack their bikes I knew this was going to be a race with a lot of first timers. Also since the bike was only 9.8 miles, to anyone who had not gone over the course this race would look easy. WRONG!

I ate a gel and a cliff bar and drank a full bottle of water.
Event warmup:

Swam about 200 yards to get used to the water and my wetsuit.
Swim
  • 13m 48s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Unlike the south shore, the North shore of Long Island is rocky. When the glaciers stopped moving south and began retreating they stopped right along Long Island and all the debri they brought was left on the north shore. Running and walking was a challenge, but the water was clear and calm.

There were only 4 waves so it was the most crowded start I have vere been in. Took advantage of the wade in to releive myself. The swimmers were all over the place and quite aggressive, sort of how they drive. I elbowed and kicked anyone that tried to swim over me.

Keeping my head from bobbing was my goal today and I think I was successful. I averaged 1:41/100 which is at least 10 seconds/100 faster than White Lake a couple of weeks ago. I swim better going clockwise as I breath to my right mostly and can see the bouys better, but I tried to use the other swimmers as a guide too. I know I can cut more time still as I bring together all of the technique my coach has been teaching me.
What would you do differently?:

Not much
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

The run up to transition and then the run to the bike mount line were long. Fortunately they ran a carpet most of the way from the water to transition which helped with the rocks.

Run faster?
Bike
  • 31m 18s
  • 9.8 miles
  • 18.79 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was extremely challenging! There were many hills and very few opportunities to get in aero and stay there for any length of time. All the down hills seemed to end in busy streets, hairpin turns, or both! The ground was still a little damp in places from the recent rains. That and the number of riders made this an adventure. I knew what to expect having riden it the night before.

I used every gear I had! At least three (more like 5) hills required my smallest gear, and in one section I hit 36 mph for a very short while. If I had to do this race again I would ride a road bike with better small gears.

The route was well marked with lots of orange arrows and the word "SLOW" all over the place. I think there was one bad crash as an ambulance took off through the run course when I was running to get to the bike route.

When I rode the course the night before the race director saw me finish and asked about the marking, I told her it was good, but there was a giant dead opossum in the middle of the first tough climb. She had had it cleaned up byefore race time!

I deliberately took it a little easy to be careful. Passed at least 100 people and was passed 5 times.

Bring a road bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Long run in again to transition. Made a stupid error in racking my bike one rack off. Once I figured out the gear lying at my feet wasn't mine, I moved to the correct rack. Probably should have been under a minute.

Watch Sesame Street and learn to count to 5.
Run
  • 30m 40s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

While I had driven and then ridden the bike course I figured I did not need to ride the bike course as I had been over most of it many times. MISTAKE!

The run course and the bike course are the same for about 3/4 of a mile then the run course diverges right. After that it makes a left. I assumed the terrain would be about the same. Turns out I was very very wrong!

A soon as I made that left I saw a hill bigger than the hills on the bike course! I let out an involuntary f-bomb and began my ungainly slog up the hill! Damn that hurt! Then after turn around, we had to run down the hill and try not to trash our quads too much.

At mile 3 of this 3.3 mile course I had just passed this kid that was making all sorts of weird sounds and running in an awkward floppy style. We come to a sharp right turn that heads us to the finish and the people there start yelling "Go Josh!" Sudden Mr. Floppy runs by me! (I guess he is Josh) Once he was about 20 feet ahead of me I thought "No wy Mr. Floppy beats me" and I gave it all I had! I was probably running between a 5 and 6 minutes/mile for those last 0.1-0.2 miles and I beat him to the finish!

As I gasped for air I saw his calf. He is 22 years old and was the runner for a relay! I really need to pay more attention to these types of details.

Check out the entire course.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pre-race food choices and bike choice.

Event comments:

It was good for a first time race. Defintely could use more than 2 port-a-potties. Needs better signs and They need to let racers back in to transition before the last runner leaves.

Last updated: 2011-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:48 | 820 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/35
Overall: 138/500
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Counterclockwise triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:18 | 9.8 miles | 18.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/35
Overall: 0/500
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Very hilly loop.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:40 | 03.3 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/35
Overall: 0/500
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-09-26 11:28 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: Made To Tri – Huntington Sprint Triathlon

2011-09-26 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3700500

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: Made To Tri – Huntington Sprint Triathlon
Nice race Doug!  Did it really matter if Mr. Josh Floppy was not in your AG?  I mean, nothing like a little motivation to pull you across the finish line...  Always like reading your RR!
2011-09-26 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3700785

User image

Only 2 porta potties???? Egads.

Congratulations, Doug! Sounds like a crazy and fun race!

2011-09-26 7:14 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Doug, you officially made me laugh twice today!  Thanks for the entertaining description of the conversation between the two Joe's wives and Bobby's gal pal as well as the visual of you sprinting past Mr. Floppy.  Love the fun rr...good job out there!
2011-09-26 8:55 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Was Mr. Floppy a character on Sesame Street?  I don't remember???

Nice work.....

2011-09-26 10:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
For some twisted reason Mr Floppy reminds me of that commercial where the boy walks up to people and says, "this is my back..."  Great race and an entertaining RR.

2011-09-26 10:49 PM

User image

nice race, on the contrare the hills werent too hard! btw there were a bunch of port a potties along the fence by the finish.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Made To Tri – Huntington Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed