Sunny
Total Time = 11h 59m 17s
Overall Rank = 706/2502
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 75/326
Pre-race routine:

Reader's Digest Condensed Version
Finishing time: 11:59:17
Slow swim, slower transitions, awesome bike despite a crash, roadside bike repair, separated shoulder, awesome run, training and nutrition plan worked perfectly, cannot imagine having a better race, but will none the less tempt fate again next year.

Epic Novel Version (unapologetically long)
IMLP pre-race really started Thursday the week prior with a carb restriction block that lasted about a week. Like most I spent that week making lists, packing and repacking, and obsessing over race-plan details. For some reason, the thing I decided to obsess over the most was my repair kit - I attribute this obsession from way too many hours of reading slowtwitch about IM bike setup, coupled with the year-old decision to race as minimal as possible and live off the course. Monday before race weekend, I dropped my bike off with TriBikeTransport for delivery to Lake Placid later that week. I was a little anxious about that as we have always traveled with our bikes as checked luggage without too much incident. I decided to give TBT a try as they had a pickup location just a couple of blocks from my house, and I really liked the idea of having my bike fully assembled on Friday morning, especially as we were scheduled to get in late, late, late on Thursday night.

We flew into Syracuse mostly because we could get a direct flight, took a little too much time to pick up the rental van, and then had a really nice drive to Lake Placid. On the way there it dawned on me I had made my first logistics mistake: I had packed my wetsuit in my gear bag that was with TBT, which did not open up until 9am in the morning, the same time as the BT swim meet-up. Oh well, first things first. We arrived at the Mirror Lake Inn around 10:30pm and got unpacked pretty quickly and in bed by midnight. I hardly slept a wink as my mind was going about a million miles an hour - I think it was part excitement to finally be in Lake Placid, but mostly the giant tea I drank while on the road to help me stay awake.

On Friday morning we had a short 10 minute walk from the hotel to the TBT setup, which was on the hill overlooking the Speed Skating Oval. It was really awesome to see that big empty transition area waiting for us first thing. The TBT guys were awesome - they let me grab my wetsuit out of my gear bag while they hung on to everything else. We then hoofed it down to the swim start, where I got there just in time to see a large group of really happy and friendly folks herding together for a collective photo. Figuring it was the BT group, I quickly jumped onto the back row, hoping that I was not instead photo-bombing some other tri group's photo. Turned out it was the BT gang - and it was really, really great to put faces and real names to folks that have offered encouragement, advice, and laughs throughout the past year. It was really a great way to start race weekend. most folks were actually doing a pretty significant swim compare to me; I had scheduled 30 minutes in the water, with only about 10 minutes of actual real swimming. The rest of the time was slated for orientation, scouting sighting markers, and generally just making sure I had the course figured out. While Jennifer went out for her own orientation run around the lake, I took some time chatting with Kate who also participated in Fred's fall/winter training group. It was really great to meet her in person - she told me she was really nervous about the swim, but heck, she absolutely CRUSHED me on race day, so maybe I should have been a little more nervous as well? Way to go Kate! When I finished up splashing around a bit I sat up on the little floating shore-line dock with Brad and we both commented on how great the water felt but how warm we were upon immediately exiting the water. It was at that time I began wondering if wearing a wetsuit was a good idea (for me) - I knew there was no way I was going to go with my full sleeve top. At this point I recognized logistics mistake #2: I had neglected to pack my Desoto Speedtube, which would have been the perfect option for the way the water temp was shaping up.

After the swim we headed over the the high school for package pickup and grabbed my bike, gear and wheel bags and walked back to the hotel. I got changed really quickly, and while Jennifer ran to the store for supplies, I headed out for a 50 minute bike ride. Per Fred's advice, I rode out on the first part of the course, up the first few little climbs out of town, and down the Keene descent. When I got to the top I ran into the Kunst family again - I recognized them from their team car with the four matching P2s on the back. I stopped and chatted for a few minutes before heading down the descent - they were getting ready to do the same. It was really good to see it, especially after hearing so much chitter chatter about it over the past year. The pavement on the shoulder was a little sketchy, but for the most part the road itself looked to be in pretty good shape. Not nearly as steep as the North Georgia mountains, much, much wider, and for the most part straight as an arrow. the only turns were broad and sweeping. Easy peasy, except my HR was way jacked up for the easy effort I was putting out.

Jen picked me up at the bottom of the descent and we headed back into town for a late lunch. After a little nap, we headed out to the Show Grounds to catch the tail-end of the show and athletes meeting. Not sorry we missed the food, but the motivational part was a lot of fun, and, well, motivational. The most interesting part of the subsequent athlete briefing was when the swim course director officially announced that there was a good chance of having a non-wetsuit legal swim. I chuckled and immediately thought "well I know what we are going to be discussing on BT for the 24 hours." about 2 minutes later, my phone vibrated with an email; sure enough, DC had already posted it - now that is service! ;) We got back to the hotel about 9pm and had a quick bite to eat before hitting the sack.

After a much better night's sleep, I got up and headed out for a 30 minute easy spin out to river road and back, then ran for about 15 minutes. Back at the hotel, I packed up all my race bags as planned. In each special needs bag and transition bag I put a couple of gels and electrolyte tabs, a spare contact lens, and some eye drops. My bike transition bag also included my helmet, shoes, a spare pitstop, a small towel,gloves, socks, shoes, and sunscreen. Everything went into large ziplocks (thanks for that, KathyG!). My run bag included a visor, sun glasses, socks, shoes, and my 310xt. In bike special needs I included a couple of spare Co2s, and another spare tubular, and in run special needs I added another pair of socks, a handful of fig newtons and a couple of miniature snickers. Before grabbing lunch we headed down to transition, racked the bike, and dropped off the bags, then I walked back to the hotel and put my feet up for another little nap. We got a nice little surprise in that one of very best friends decided at the last minute to drive up from NYC to spectate with Jennifer - she got in town in time to join us for dinner at Jimmy's 21, a perfectly fine pre-race Italian restaurant just a block from the hotel. In bed by 10pm, and another really good night sleep - pretty rare for me before a race!

Event warmup:

Up at 4:10am. Had a banana, yogurt, and bagel with peanut butter. If we had a kitchen I would have added a couple of scrambled eggs, but I figured I would make do without - historically I have found the meals 2 days prior to a long race have a bigger impact on race-day nutrition than the morning of. I had been stacking carbs and fluids for 48 hours, and felt pretty good. At 5am, I suited up, and we headed down to transition. I carried my sleeveless wetsuit, but based on a conversation with Sam (coach) the afternoon prior, had decided that if they were not legal I would not wear one. Not because I thought I had chance of qualifying, but we knew the day would be warm and long, and did not want to start the day upside down on hydration. I figured the time I might lose would be minimal compared to what I could make up later in the day.

Patience.

After getting body marked, I stopped by my transition bags and marked the rack & bags with red tape then headed to the bike racks to pump the tires and mount my computer. Props to those of you who bring a pump to transition - us out of town guys love you, especially when you are patient enough to let 20 folks queue up to use it. I calibrated my power meter, and made a command decision to swap my spare track tubular for a heavier-duty Tangente. I figured if I flatted due to road conditions a tougher tire would be in order.

I caught up with Jennifer just outside of transition, and we headed over to drop off my special needs bags. Jennifer scouted out good spots to watch the start, then we walked back to the beach. Despite constant admonitions from "Voice of Ironman" Mike Reilly, I simply donned my desoto 68 degree top over my race kit, popped my coach-instructed earplugs in and entered the water. As I was enjoying the firs of what would be many pees of the day, it suddenly dawned on me that I was supposed to go through the chute to register my chip. I hustled out of the water and over to the "no wetsuit" timing mat entry. On my way out of the water I noticed a handful of of wet folks drying off and putting on wetsuits on the beach and entering the water - I will leave you to figure out what they might be up to...

Back in the water, I dog paddled out to the starting line - the pros had just gone off, and there were not many up on the line. So of course I found myself there, treading water right under the flags, with a handful of other folks. With about 4 minutes to go, the swarm of wetsuits arrived. This was the only time I felt any sort of anxiousness in the water; with two minutes to go we were packed in like sardines - I literally could not get my hands out to tread water in the midst of folks bobbing around like corks. I could basically scull my hands right next to my hips, and actually found it easier to simply bob up and down above and below the surface water and grab a breath whenever I could manage. No big deal - you can do anything for a couple of minutes. It sounds cheesy, but the last thing I reminded myself before the cannon was something one of you here on BT advised: "there will be a lot of things that happen today that are out of my control, but the one thing I CAN control is my attitude."

I did not know it at the time, but this would turn out to be seriously good advice.
Swim
  • 1h 19m 16s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

BOOM.
Even with earplugs in that tiny cannon packs quite a wollup. My plan was to ease into the swim, but that pretty quickly turned into a dumb idea, particularly due to my start location coupled with the decision to go wetsuitless. I pretty quickly got over run and spent a good deal of time swimming vertically as folks were all over my legs. While it certainly impeded my forward progress, the good thing is that I was actually pretty comfortable otherwise. I just continued to take it pretty easy and not fight the crowd. While not my intention, I pretty quickly got herded over to the cable line. About 500 yards into the swim, a little space opened up a bit, but then closed back down. This repeated itself over and over for the remainder of the first lap, but again, no worries. Really, really glad that I got my bilateral breathing to where it is my natural rhythm - it made it much easier to catch breaths easily whenever I could. At the first turn buoys, I all the sudden gained the new skill of being able to pee while swimming - who knew? I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks, no matter how weird the trick. I cruised back to the beach, still not able to get into a groove, but very relaxed none the less. Once on the beach for a short sprint to start the second lap, I downed the gel and flask of water that I had tucked in the back of my suit. I think the gel was a good idea, but pretty soon I realized I did not need the water - I peed again on the way out for the second go round the turn buoys, and AGAIN (yes a third time!) on the final return to the beach. The second lap was a good bit faster than the first - Like most, I stayed right on the cable and basically rode the train back in.
What would you do differently?:

Swim Faster.
Had I really thought much about it, once I made the decision to not wear my wetsuit, I should have then re-thought my start location. Really wish I had brought my speed tube; would have been the perfect set-up for this race. I never figured this race would be non-wetsuit legal - better safe than sorry though.

I still think not wearing a wetsuit was a good decision, based on all the race reports and comments about dehydration and heat. I felt great when I got out of the water, even though I was 10 minutes slower than I expected.
Transition 1
  • 10m 51s
Comments:

Yikes! I planned to Cadillac the transitions, but holy-moly!
Ran really well to the transition tent, stayed off the carpet most of the way to get around folks that were jogging slow. Stripped out of my 78 degree top on the fly. Bee-lined to my row, grabbed my transition bag (marking it with red tape was a very good idea) and darted right into a tent jammed packed with a twisting, writhing mass of utter chaos (note to self: learn to swim faster). I made my way to the far end of the changing tent, found a seat (good idea? bad idea? next year I am actually going to have a strategy about this particular moment). Helmet on first, then shoes, arm warmers on the wrists, gloves on, up, pitstop in my jersey pocket, and a few extra gels in my other pocket, just in case. Up. Off to the bike while putting on my race belt. I made it to my bike rack, grabbed it myself, and moved on to the bike exit where I ran into a huge log jam of people, all queuing up at the mount line. I was a little bit of a jerk, but I squeezed up against the rail, picked up my bike over-head, and ran with it downhill about 25~30 yards past the mount line and rolled.

1) Swim faster.
2) No reason to sit - keep moving.
3) Now that I have done this once, it will be a lot easier to visualize and practice. I spent way too much time checking and rechecking stuff in transition - next year I gotta just go. WAY too much free time here.
Bike
  • 6h 07m 43s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Even though I had read about it a million times, the descent out of T1 was surprisingly hairy. Rough, steep, and a little feisty, the first mile out of town was littered with debris that had been ejected from the bikes of faster racers. I ran the. Gauntlet without mishap, but I did manage to lose the Pitstop out of my rear pocket without knowing it. I would only find that out later...

I took it super, super easy on the initial ascent out of town, which rolls up and up and up again before reaching the infamous descent into Keene. I zone oned it up to the top, and as expected got overtaken by a ton of racers. I was prepared for this to happen, but it is awfully tough to let folks go and do your own thing. This is probably the single most important skill I have learned over this past year. And hey, I figure everyone warms up differently for a 112 bike ride, right?

The descent into Keene was everything that folks say - I found it a blast - and even faster than the test ride from the couple of days before as you could actually get off the shoulder and out into the road. The downside was that there were way too many other folks doing the same thing, albeit a good bit slower. The ride down is not technical at all, it is just fairly straight and fast. There is one spot where the course really opens up and allows a little crosswind, but I was prepared for that from my test ride and had no worries. My front 808 ran straight and true. Once into Keene I really began to settle in and take stock and do a systems check. The air temperature and humidity were really nice, and my heart rate was surprisingly low, mainly in High zone 1/low zone 2. My power however was running about 190 watts, which was about 10 watts higher than planned, so despite how well I was feeling, I backed down just a bit. On the bit between Keene and Jay, I began to realize that I had to pee again, which was a bit of a surprise. I had read countless threads on BT about exactly this situation, but was still not quite sure what I would do (or be able to do) if/when faced with this situation. At least it gave me something fun to think about for a while...

turned out to be easy. Signal that I am slowing and easing over to the shoulder, stand, coast, go. Left shoe full of pee. Rinse, repeat as required, which eventually turned out to be 2 more times on the bike. Awesome. I am one step closer to being an Ironman.

I remember reading a lot of complaints about the AuSable Forks out and back, but I liked this part as it really let's you see how the race is developing both out in front as well as in back of you. I was a little surprised by the packs that had formed up, but I was also pretty sure that wouldn't last for long due to the hills that were coming. Weirdly somewhere along the way a black cat darted out of the bushes and crossed the the road right in front of a few cyclists up from me, successfully dodging those of us going out, and the fasties coming back in from AuSable Forks, which caused a lot of chuckles and comments from the handful of folks that saw it. Jinx #1.

Superstitions aside, my nutrition And fluids were all literally going like clockwork: I was basically taking a gel every 30 minutes and a Salt Stick tab every 45. I took fluid hand ups every 10 miles, and basically rolled with 1/2 bottle of Perform and 1/2 bottle of water. At every aid station I would finish one or the other and replace it, alternating at each hand up.

Hit the bottom of the climb into town and basically just motored up, getting in my small chain ring only twice in the12 or so miles. When we drove this part of the course I thought it looked much, much easier than I had been led to believe, which it was. It basically just stair steps up with plenty of false-flat areas where you can really roll, in the aerobars all the way up for the most top until the very end. While obviously tougher than a lot of rides, the variability of the climb really suits me - much, much easier than the diet of repeated hour + long climbs I did all summer. Admittedly this is also where the Garmin 800 really excelled - I had the LP course loaded and the elevation display set to look ahead about 2nd miles, so I always knew exactly what was coming - when to get on it a bit and when lay back some. Near the top the crowd was awesome, dancing bananas and all. All day the volunteers and spectators were unbelievably fantastic. Rolled through town, saw Jennifer, slowed down just a bit to shout that was feeling great and that I loved her - there simply is no over-estimating how important these encounters are no matter how brief.

Bike split lap 1: dead-on 3 hours, super easy, and feeling spectacularly great, which left me feeling a little anxious, quite frankly - just waiting for the wheels to fly off. Out of town, roll up, then back down into Keane - a lot more space to work with this time, so could really fly this time - near the bottom it got a little hairy, as a dude in front of me hit a pretty good bump which caused the proverbial "Yard Sale" of shit off the back of his bike - most of the stuff went off onto the shoulder, but a Perform bottle acted like a side-winding, heat-seeking torpedo and locked onto me, tucked into aero and rolling at 50 mph. "well, here we go," i thought, but just before impact it cartwheeled off the ground and rocketed over my head. I eased back a bit through the last curve into Keene and a guy rolled up next to me and said "Sweet Jesus, that was crazy - I thought you were dead!" I laughed it off, and said that at least I had something exciting happen during the race, but if that was it I would be happy. Jinx #2.

As an aside, I know the guy that ejected the bottle, etc. has done countless rides for years with his rear bottle setup and never lost a thing. I know he loves them and is as shocked as everyone that he ejected a bottle. I love mine too - I train with them all the time - there is nothing as great as being fully supported with 4 bottles on a long training ride. That said, TAKE THAT SHIT OFF YOUR BIKE ON RACE DAY. IT IS EFFING DANGEROUS. There are hand-ups every 10 miles, for christ sake.

Whew.

Low mile 70-something, I rolled through an aid station and grabbed a gel, then a water near the end. I rolled on out of the aid station, and began accelerating into the clear. just as I am dropping the water bottle into the cage on my frame, another racer crosses from left to right in front of me and plants his feet on the road, bike perpendicular to the direction of travel.

Everyone asks, but I have no idea what he was thinking or doing. I do not know if he missed the aid station, or was trying to get to a port-o-potty, or what. All I know is that I t-boned him with bottle in right hand and left hand unfortunately on front brake. I cartwheeled heels-over-head and was immediately run over by two more racers from behind.

It did not happen in slow motion.

I only remember saying three words: "God," just he cut in front of me.

"dam," as I was in the air.

and "mit!" as my head and elbow simultaneously hit the ground.

I remember a "pop" in my shoulder, but don't really know if it was a sound, feeling, or both.

Immediately up on my feet, spin each of my wheels, and back on my bike.

No-go. Front tire flat. Stop. Off. Breathe. Assess.

Right bullhorn is snapped where the brake lever attaches. Rear brake mysteriously sheered off, most likely from the rear collision. Hmmmm.

The next part I am reluctant to write, but for some reason I think it is the most important thing I want to remember from the day.

I was not angry. I was not upset. I was, embarrassingly,

Relieved.

Now I don't have to do this any more. I can quit. I put the work in, but had a bad day. Too bad for me, oh-well, so it goes. Oh well, nothing you can do about it, better luck next time, dude, next time you will crush it.

I trudged about 100 meters back to the aid station, where I talked to a characteristically very nice volunteer, told him my bike was toast, and that I was done. He said that it was a spectacular crash, and that it was too bad, but that his shift was over in about 10 minutes and he could give me ride back into town in his truck. "Awesome!" I think I said. So I sat there, watching racers go by one-by-one. Thankfully, I had 10 minutes to wait, because it gave me time to have a little conversation with myself. It went something like: "Wait a minute, you asshole, you are on pace to have well over 5 hours to spare before midnight, so you could monkey around out here for 5 hours with your bike and still finish." I went back to the first volunteer and asked him if he was familiar with the course and he said yes, that he rode it many, many times. I couldn't quite remember what was coming up, but he assured me that there was only one more significant descent (down into Wilmington). I thanked him, told him I un-quit - I was back in the race.

Immediately over-taken by a calm happiness: now I just had a series of problems to solve and tasks to perform one-by-one patiently and methodically. No more worrying about time. In my mind now just finishing becomes the single measure of whether this is an "A" race or not.

First order of business: disconnect the mess that is my rear brake. Done, no problem. Second do something with my rear brake lever, which was a little more problematic - I didn't want to lose it, and it had really, really sharp edges from where it basically split the bull horn. So I carefully unwound the electrical tape that was holding the bar tape on and used it to re-wrap the tape around the bull horn. Check - problem #2 solved. On to the flat front tire.

This is where I began to realize that I was actually injured. I knew that I was bleeding pretty good from my elbow and shoulder, and that my finger tips were pretty cut up (good call on the gloves, though) but as I was trying to roll my tubular off I began to realize that I really could not use my right hand or lift my arm much. I quickly gave up on prying the tire off (nice job on the gluing!) and just cut it off with my back-up razor blade. On goes the new tire n less than a minute. Tubies are sweet in that regard. On the bike, and rolling - still not too concerned about right arm. Right shoe clipped in, pedal, accelerate, left shoe will not clip in - try, try, try - must have gotten packed with dirt, stop, look. One of the two retention springs on the cleat (Speedplay) is twisted to hell. Just another thing on the list. Try to pry it out - no-go. Between my bum right hand/arm and limitations of my small multi-tool, I just cannot get it out. So, cross the road, ease BACK to the aid station and locate a pair of vice grips from another volunteer. I sort of mangle the cleat, but eventually make short work out of twisting and breaking off the offending retention spring and I am off yet again.

I have absolutely no idea what happened to the other three riders - I was (for better or worse) focused on my own predicament. We never even looked at or said a word to each other. Hopefully they got their shit together and were able to roll on faster and in better shape than I was.

So, just to recap: 40 miles to go, one good descent, one longish climb, no rear brake, one good cleat and a still-mysterious non-functioning right arm and hand. Rock on.

In and out of the aerobars, I know my arm is hurting, but it mostly seems like it is just my banged up elbow coming in contact with the elbow pad. I finally start to really assess the situation when I roll through the next aid station and I cannot reach out and grab a bottle on the fly. No problem - still plenty of fluids on the bike. Next aid station (in Jay, I think?) I signal that I am slowing, ease in and manage to get a bottle, but it is a pretty ginger operation to get drink - by now I know it is really my shoulder that is giving me fits and I just cannot put too much pressure on it or move it quickly. I cannot use it to steer, but using my arm from the elbow down is manageable, so long as I keep the motions slow, easy, and controlled. Up, then down into Wilmington, feathering the brakes as I near the turn at the bottom. Short out and back then back up to town one more time, Still rolling pretty good, but this time not in the aerobars and doing a lot more spinning. This time up I could begin to see that the distance and climb was taking its toll on quite a number of folks; but my heart rate was still low, and legs felt great. Back at the top, crowd still there, as well as the dancing bananas. Into town, and this time I slowed way down to catch jennifer again, and told her really quickly that I had a crash, but that I was OK.

The excitement of rolling into transition for the last time is indescribable: Injuries aside, I actually felt great and still pretty fresh. The humidity was low and the temperature was inconsequential. The route in has a few turns, and in the excitement I forgot momentarily that I had no rear brakes and came into one corner s little hot, but was fine.

Hand off the bike, and into transition.

Don't crash.

Honestly, this is one of my best race rides I can remember. Except for the handful of seconds when I was actually in the air and then hitting the ground, this ride was a blast from the first pedal stroke. It seemed actually pretty easy, relaxed, and fun. All of the training this past winter, spring and summer paid off, and I felt as if I had an excellent (albeit conservative) pacing and nutrition plan and executed it perfectly.

At this point I was no longer paying attention to my time, but afterwards my Garmin showed that I was stopped on the side of the road for a total of 19 minutes and 45 seconds. Not too shabby, all things considered.

I thought I was there for at least 2 hours.
Transition 2
  • 08m 55s
Comments:

Grab my run bag, into the tent, thanking all the volunteers along the way, convinced a couple that I was fine when they showed some concern about the blood, sat down, off with the helmet, gloves, shoes, and socks. Running socks on, shoes on and tied (with some much needed volunteer help, I should add - I am not very good at tying my shoe with one hand), grabbed my glasses, visor, and zip lock bags full of electrolytes and gels, and back on my feet.

Grabbed my Garmin 310xt, and just barely remembered to turn it on before I was off and running.

Hard to say due to the "extenuating circumstances" I found my self in, but I obviously have some free time I can squeeze out of my transitions. I think on both I need to simply do more visualization on the end of the respective swim and bike - I am pretty good about this in other races, I think here I just soaked in the excitement but then had to slow down and check/recheck everything too much.
Run
  • 4h 12m 33s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Basically, this course is awesome. I took it easy going out of transition as it is pretty steep - I have learned the hard way over the years that this is NOT the place for me to make up time - pounding down the steep descents always smokes my quads. I was prepared for this a bit as all of my runs off the bike in the mountains this summer featured at least 5 minutes of very steep downhill running immediately, then some rolling, and a god-awful climb back to the car. Lake Placid was again a piece of cake compared to training.

I don't know how to describe the course other than it has to be just about the most fair course I have ever raced - to run it well you have to be just a good all-around runner as the route throws everything at you, and twice: Quick, steep inclines and descents, long gradual pulls, and both long stretches of climbing and flat terrain. Also parts of the course are in full sun, and others are in deep shade.

Once out of town the spectators thin out and there is longish, steady descent to river road, where the course gently rolls out and back. I really began to settle in along this stretch, even though I had not seen any of the run course previously. Shoulder is really aching, but eventually I figure out that whenever it gets unbearable I can simply tuck my arm into the zipper of my jersey so that it acts as a make-shift sling. Problem solved. I executed my nutrition strategy as planned: 1 gel every 30 minutes, Salt Stick every 30 (offset from gel by 15 minutes) and water at every aid station. Never even thought about walking, just chugged along at my still surprisingly low zone 2 heart rate. I thought the temp was great - very comfortable (low 80's?) and no humidity to speak of. Started catching folks that were really suffering, but also talked to a several that were also having good days. This was a really interesting part of the race for me because of these brief encounters. I would catch someone (or be caught) one or the other would say a few words, make a joke, laugh and then we were both gone, back in our own tiny little world...

Made the turn, and headed back - coming out of the woods the ski jumps provide a great landmark to judge your progress. Up the long pull into town, a short but steeeeeeep climb past the transition, then out again along Mirror Lake on the sorter out and back. I had no needs, special or otherwise, so I just kept on going without stopping. Just past the turn around, I saw Jennifer again for the third time, gave her a brief run-down, told her my shoulder was banged up, but not to worry, I was fine - then off, back in that tiny world again. Back out of town Steve (CornerOfDivision) caught me and gave me some great words of encouragement, then he was off to break 12 hours, which I thought was really cool. Down the long hill, and back out on River Road, where there was some real meltdowns going on - I still felt great, but world did feel just a tad bit tinier. Made the turn, and for the first time started to think about finishing. At mile 19 and according to plan, I picked it up a bit to see how I felt, and surprisingly the 'ol legs responded without a complaint. Sweet. Between mile 20 an 21, there is a short but steep little hill just before you come around the corner and can see the ski jumps in the distance. I floated up it pretty easily, then moved the throttle forward one more tick. Up to this point I had not even thought to look at my watch - I had no idea how long I was on the course and did not have an over-all time on my Garmin, as I was only using it to record the time. I didn't even have a good sense of what time it was. So I looked at my watch.

6:14pm. Cool, I should be in around 7pm.

Started at 7 am, can't believe I will be out here for 12 hours.

12 hours? SAY WHAT???? I CAN STILL MAKE 12 HOURS???

Pick up the pace a bit, more math - look at watch again - now at 4.2 miles to go, 6:24pm. still struggling with the numbers - what is this, differential equations or something???? Come on brain...)
According to plan, with 5k to go, and (provided I have anything left let it all fly, caution to the wind. For the first time all day, I deviate from the plan, and I go a mile early. I am on fire - up the long pull and across the flats on the outskirts of town, then charging the steep hill. If you asked me then, I would swear to you I was running 5:50 miles. The crowd was crazy - it was packed on the rails - and then I saw Jennifer and Cathy, yelling at the top of their lungs:

GOOOOOOOOOOOO -------- RUUUUUSTTTTYYYYYY -------- GOOOOOOOOO! GOOOOOOO! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I found the front rivet, and commenced to get on it.
I was eyes-rolled-back-in-my-head-turned-inside-out-on-the-stops-wide-open.

I don't even remember turning down the Mirror Lake out-and-back, but as Steve had suggested during our brief chat, everything snapped back into sharp focus at the turn - people were yelling like crazy, but all it sounded like was,

"GO GO GO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! SOMETHING SOMETHING 12 HOURS GOOOOOOOOOO!"

Floating.

Into the Olympic Oval, and sweep around the curve.

Look up: 11:59:05.

Alone on the stretch, yellow numbers, seconds, advancing.

Dig.

Mike Reilly: "Rusty Smith, Decatur, Georgia. You did it. Come on home, Rusty. You are an Ironman."

11:59:19.

Zip up for my photo.
How in the world do the pros remember to do it???
Post race
Warm down:

In the chute, medal. water. Then, medical tent. Great Doc, told me it was my call as to whether to go to the emergency room or keep it immobilized until I got home to visit with my own physician, which I elected to do. Back out, and immediately found Jennifer and Cathy, or rather, they found me. They were graciously allowed to help me retrieve my bike and other belongings, and then they both helped me wrestle out of my race kit and into warm ups.

System began to rapidly shut down. Back to the hotel, where Jennifer forced me into an ice bath. I was not happy about it but did not have the strength to argue. Thankfully.

Hip rotator was aching and shoulder was killing.

A hot shower, then Pizza, and a beer.

Lights out.

Woke the next morning, with my single regret from the previous day was not being able to be at the finishing line at midnight. My hip rotator was in full-on rebellion, I literally had to pick my leg up with my hands to get in the car, but the problem with this is that I only had one good hand and arm. If I tried to pick up anything with my right hand it felt like I was being stabbed with a hot poker in the shoulder.

Fast forward two days, and back in Atlanta to the Doc - turns out I suffered a grade two shoulder separation and had flare up of tendinosis in my hip. looks like about 8 weeks of rehab for me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1) Crashing.
2) Poor transitions.

I still stick by the decision not to wear a wetsuit, even though it cost me 10 minutes on the swim. I am convinced that it was too hot, and I would have suffered over the long-term otherwise.

Last updated: 2010-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:16 | 4224 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 171/326
Overall: 1344/2502
Performance: Average
Suit: Desoto Riviera Shorts, Carrera Top, 78 degree top
Course: Two loop swim in Mirror Lake, a calm, pristine lake right in the heart of Lake Placid. Mass start swim with swim buoys on the left. Short beach run on the beach before entering swim entrance for second lap. After the second lap, there is a 400m carpeted run downhill on Lake Placid Club Drive to the transition zone located on the Olympic Speed skating Oval.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:07:43 | 112 miles | 18.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 105/326
Overall: 770/2502
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two loop bike course that takes place on state, county, and local roads. The bike course features scenic mountain and valley views and climbs 3000+ feet on each loop.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 08:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:12:33 | 26.2 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 58/326
Overall: 583/2502
Performance: Good
Course: Two loop, figure eight-ish course that passes through the edge of downtown area four times, allowing for lots of spectating.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-27 10:39 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

2011-09-28 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3703068

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid

Wow....Rusty what an IM you had.

Congrats on figuring out how to deal with all your bike & cleat issues to get back on your bike and rolling into town. Amazing that you kept on going and ran the Marathon. Smart to use tri top as a make shift sling if possible.

Ironman day is tough enough but add in bike crash, injuries and bike repair....much tougher.

Glad you posted this and shared your day.

2011-09-29 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Glad u survived the crash...you put together a great race given the cards you were dealt. Great race report!Jb
2011-09-29 6:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
Excellent RR,  Rusty. Very inspiring! Way to keep a cool head, work through your problems and keep going (when most people would have quit). I am signed up for LP this year and hope to see you there. Good luck with training and stay safe!
2011-09-29 7:42 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome jobe awesome race report and AMAZING race!!! Congrtualtions...That crash is CRAZY!!!  WTF was that person thinking?  Geez o pete.............Glad its just a shoulder sepration.  You will be on the mend soon.  HUGE congrats!
2011-10-01 7:26 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-10-01 9:11 AM

Expert

WOW!!!  What an amazing/challenging day you had! 

My friend sent me a message before my first IM last year...it's not the problems you will face during the race that will make or break your day, but how you deal with them.  I took this advice with me at IMLP this year, but you LIVED it!  Perfectly I might add!  

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.  And congratulations on one hell of a race!

2012-06-08 9:35 AM

Regular
Buffalo, NY
Congrats!  Great race report, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!  Good luck again this year !!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed