Ulman Cancer Fund
42F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 43m 49s
Overall Rank = 61/100F
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/13
Pre-race routine:

Felt sick as a dog waking up - hot/cold, nauseous - so pre-race routine consisted of me freaking out. Ate bagel/peanut butter, ginger pill for motion sickness, Imodium now pre-race standard for me), and no liquids to stack the odds against repeat of SIPE in the cold water. As usual, got to park later than intended, but still had plenty of time to get my stuff in transition into tupperware to stay dry. Kibbutzed with others about what to wear given the weather.
Event warmup:

Trying to stay warm!!
Swim
  • 32h 42m
  • 1584 yards
  • 2h 03m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Admitted afterwards how scared I was about the temps & SIPE. Was so relieved in the first hundred yards to realize it just wasn't going to happen. Wetsuit was too big, and had calf sleeves on to prevent some of the water flow through the ankles, and to help stay warm, and it helped. Also wore insulated cap under race cap. I just don't push it in the swim - definitely didn't this race, and someday would like to see just how fast I can go on a swim leg, but was happy enough just to finish ambulatory & breathing.
Transition 1
  • 10m 8s
Comments:

I obviously wasn't in much of a hurry! was hard to pull on clothes over wet suit, lol, and especially when I was foolish enough to put on socks before pants, and then had to dance around to try to keep socks dry in the mud while donning pants & shoes! Hands were so cold, and wet despite toweling, couldn't get my gloves on. Had running gloves under my bike gloves, and had them stowed that way hoping it would speed things up, but couldn't get them on cold wet hands that way, so had to take them apart, turn them right side out, etc.... made for a slow, bumbly transition. Then of course had to take time to respond to the cheering crowds with comments about the pants, and to celebrate with family being able to walk out of this swim!
What would you do differently?:

not a damn thing
Bike
  • 2h 31m 25s
  • 32 miles
  • 12.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Of course the bike time includes stops to chat with club member snapping photos, and crew at the last water stop. :)

Such a fun ride - I was wearing my crazy psychedelic bike pants, and of the gazillion cyclists that passed me, 99% of them - and the police and volunteers - seemed to have a comment about the pants, so it was a blast to spend 32 miles bantering with just about everyone I saw. Was OK with my slow pace, just doing my thing, and so happy to be able to be out there. Lost all feeling in my toes early on, which didn't worry me except for the few minutes when I think I couldn't move them, either. Was wearing L/S nylon shirt & the pants over my tri suit, regular socks, covers on the shoes, under amour cap under the helemet, and running gloves under bike gloves.

I knew that my chain was nearing the end of its lifespan, which made shifting a challenge, but think the shifter itself went out completely for the big ring for the last 2-3 miles. Fortunately there weren't any real hills left, just rollers, so I could get through well enough.

Cold made it tough to get my legs going, but they felt surprisingly strong running into T2. Was good about remembering to drink, and went through a couple of bottles on the bike.

Nothing. Train more lol!
Transition 2
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

I don't remember a race ever where I didn't feel wobbly & able to run well into T2, but I felt great yesterday - go figure! Ran in, and had a bit of a chinese fire drill with some bonehead's bike & gear in my slot - volunteers were pretty quick about taking my bike and took care of it all after I left. Didn't help that others before me just put their stuff wherever, only compounding the mess.
Run
  • 1h 25m 27s
  • 6.7 miles
  • 12m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt so strong running out of T2 - that's never happened before. Actually felt like running (clearly was feverish after all). Hooked up with a couple of Team Fight buddies early on and ran with them the whole course - one said she hadn't trained, needed to walk breaks, and so I hung with her. Was a novel treat for me to feel like the stronger runner for a change. She kept telling me to run ahead, but this is also the same teammate who kept waiting for me on the brick a couple of weeks ago, since I was slow & didn't know the route, so there was no way I wasn't going to hang with her. Was such a treat for me anyway, to have someone to run & chat with, and it made for a surprisingly easy run. Regained feeling in my toes around mile 3, so that was an added perk!

remember to stretch more pre-race!
Post race
Warm down:

once again, princess worked the finish line and was there with a huge grin, "GO MOM!" and my medal. Love that!! Spouse was nearby with his camera, as usual too, which is also such a treat - love, love, love that they're there for me.

got a post-race massage, but got a pretty lame therapist. oh well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

gravity, gene pool, and training.

Event comments:

What's not to love? Incredible organization and cause - the schmaltz and warm fuzzies were blanketing the event, and our neon yellow Team Fight/UCF colors were everywhere. I'm clearly biased, because I love this group. Very emotional day, but not as many tears as I'd expected. Survivors, in yellow caps and race bibs lead the way, as it should be. LOVED the inspirational mile with all the signs about why we fight, what "half full" means. Great reality check and inspiration early in the run to help us all remember why we're there.

Post-race walked back about a mile or 2 looking for a teammate who was doing the HIM and cramped up on the run from the beginning. So nice to see I wasn't the only one as we picked up a few others on the way, to get him to his little girl who'd been patiently waiting in the drizzle to run through the finish chute with him. Perfect ending to the day.

Hurt all over within a few hours - even my chest was hurting from breathing all the cold air - but have absolutely no regrets about having signed up for the full 70 HIM next year - will be my 50th bday weekend, and I can't think of a better way to celebrate, or a finer group to spend it with.

Last updated: 2011-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
32:42:00 | 1584 yards | 2h 03m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 22/100F
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeved synergy, TOO BIG!
Course: rectangular clockwise
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:08
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:31:25 | 32 miles | 12.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/13
Overall: 55/100F
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Hilly!
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:25:27 | 06.7 miles | 12m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/13
Overall: 61/100F
Performance:
Not sure if that was really 6.7, or 6.4 - chip time indicated 6.4 miles with 13:21 pace, and garmin said 12:55 (it stopped for the port-a-potty break). Avg HR 144 - not bad with all the caffeine from gu/chomps. Max 161, so clear I never pushed it too hard.
Course: Great course, for Columbia. Only a couple of major hills, lots of flat stretches, pretty n'hoods, and a 2nd park to run through, so best tri run up course up there I've run on.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-10-03 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: Half Full 40-mile Triathlon

2011-10-03 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3708834

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Half Full 40-mile Triathlon

Sweet race, Marla! It sounds like you had a fantastic swim despite some VERY cold conditions and got nutrition/hydration, etc. dialed in. 

Congratulations, but I think we need to see a picture of these psychadelic pants????

2011-10-03 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3709002

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/wildprintspandex.htm

clearly not me, but imagine middle-aged woman in equally bright yellow top, and those pants....

2011-10-03 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3709020

User image

Regular
Maryland

Oh, my!  Surprised

Congratulations on your great race!!!

2011-10-03 5:25 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Congrats in so many ways!  No swim issues, tough conditions, racing with friends for a cause you are passionate about.  What could be better?  Oh and congrats on signing up for your first HIM!
2011-10-03 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3709845

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

ransick - 2011-10-03 6:25 PM Congrats in so many ways!  No swim issues, tough conditions, racing with friends for a cause you are passionate about.  What could be better?  Oh and congrats on signing up for your first HIM!

Thanks on all counts, Mike. What could be better? Clearly not a damn thing.

2011-10-04 3:51 AM

Looks like you had a fantastic swim despite some very cold conditions and obtained the nutrition / hydration, etc.Congrats in so many ways! No problem swimming, difficult conditions, shopping with friends for a cause you are passionate about.
2011-10-04 5:49 AM
in reply to: #3709402

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
7rider - 2011-10-03 2:11 PM

Oh, my!  Surprised

Congratulations on your great race!!!

Oh, my to the pants, lol?

2011-10-04 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3710252

User image

Regular
Maryland
MarlaS - 2011-10-04 6:49 AM [Oh, my to the pants, lol?

Yup.  They are quite the fashion statement!    LOL!

2011-10-04 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

Big congrats on the awesome race!!!  You must be so damn proud!

Enjoy it...

Now, get back to work, your birthday is only a year away.  

2011-10-04 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3711291

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Sulcus - 2011-10-04 4:37 PM

Big congrats on the awesome race!!!  You must be so damn proud!

Enjoy it...

Now, get back to work, your birthday is only a year away.  

...and there I was feeling all warm & fuzzy, and you had to remind me that I only have 368 days left to train. Tell me you at least got a deferment to next year vs. just bagging it??

It was such an incredibly special day, only sorry you didn't make it to bask in the schmaltz and warm fuzzies, though clearly that was the only way in which there was anything WARM about the day Smile

2011-10-04 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3710577

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
7rider - 2011-10-04 10:56 AM
MarlaS - 2011-10-04 6:49 AM [Oh, my to the pants, lol?

Yup.  They are quite the fashion statement!    LOL!

I never could've imagined how much fun could be injected into a cold, dreary race day by just a silly pair of pants... never had so much fun on the bike leg of a race, either,

2011-10-05 8:44 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
I am happy happy happy for you. Congratulations on all of it. Your race report is just the way it is supposed to sound. Having fun while challenging yourself. GREAT!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Half Full 40-mile Triathlon Rss Feed