Wineglass Running Club
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 17m 38s
Overall Rank = 124/1447
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 26/129
Pre-race routine:

Usual stuff. I was wearing three layers and decided to ditch the top layer right before the start. I'm very glad I did because it was a cotton long-sleeved shirt and would have weighed a ton given that it was raining.
Event warmup:

Ran/walked from the parking lot to the starting line - which was about a half mile away this year. Nothing big.
Run
  • 3h 17m 38s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I was shooting to break 3:20 and thought that around 3:17 would be a pretty good target. There was a 3:15 and 3:25 pace group but no 3:20. So I started in between those two groups. About a mile into the race a bunch of us realized that we were all shooting for 3:20 and that perhaps we should stick together. That lasted for a bit, but after about a couple of miles the de-facto 3:20 group started to break up. However, one woman was pretty much running the same pace as me and was targeting just under 7:30 miles, so we stuck together. We pretty much ran together through mile 21. She was a fantastic runner and was a great motivator. The miles just clicked by despite the cold and sometimes heavy rain coming down.

At about mile 20 I started to feel pretty tired and my pace dropped off a bit. After finished the last sorta-hill at mile 21.5, I picked it up on the downhill, but not nearly as much as my marathon-friend. She just kicked it at this point. I tried hard to catch her but couldn't. The last 4 miles were rough, but not unusually so (they always are). I faded a bit, but not nearly as bad as I did in my previous marathon where I blew my goal time in the last 6 miles. This time I came in just where I hoped I would - about 2 1/2 minutes ahead of my goal and a 5 min PR. I was very happy with this performance.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I gave this everything I had. The one thing that helped me the most in this race when compared to my last marathon was using salt tablets. I cramped severly at the National Marathon last march and it hampered my peformance a lot. No cramps this time around, and also my recovery seems to be going better as well.
Post race
Warm down:

Just kept walking, very slowly. The hot chicken soup they had was the best thing ever! The pizza - not so much...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing - very pleased with this time and I gave it all I had.

Event comments:

The only gripe I had about the race was that the starting line scene was very disorganized. The parking lot only had 8 port-a-potties and a lot of people thought that would be the only ones avaialble. But, there were tons more at the starting line. Also, no one said where the bag drop-off would be and everyone made their way to the starting line assuming that it would be there. Good thing it was!

Last updated: 2011-08-04 12:00 AM
Running
03:17:38 | 26.2 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/129
Overall: 124/1447
Performance: Good
Course: Net downhill course. Only two real hills to speak of and neither are that bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-10-03 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Subject: Wineglass Marathon

2011-10-03 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3708935

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Wineglass Marathon
Nice job in awful conditions!  I also ran, but a lot slower than you.  Interestingly I was also at National in March.
2011-10-03 8:24 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Nice Job   Does Guthrie clinic still run this?  I used to be co chair of the sports med dept there.  Congrats on teh PR in bad conditions!
2011-10-05 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Great job on your new PR! Sounds like the weather was tough, so well done dealing with that both mentally and physically.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wineglass Marathon Rss Feed