Leading Edge Promotions
16C / 61F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 48s
Overall Rank = 40/246
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 12/30
Pre-race routine:

Woke early, prepped my gear, ate brekky well before race time.
Event warmup:

Rode 6k to the site, jogged about 1k, and swam about 300m. Stretched for a while before the start, which was delayed, so got cold all over again...
Swim
  • 12m 31s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Passed maybe 5 people, so maybe I seeded myself a little low, there was a bit of a logjam on the last lap, so it was tough getting a final burst in before exiting.
What would you do differently?:

Get faster in the swim?
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

I second guessed myself and went without the shirt in the pool. Coming into transition, which was a bit of a hike from the pool, I was a bit flustered when my bike shirt got tangled up in wet body (again). At least I used a race belt this time, which was a load easier to deal with. Went without socks, which made the transition a load faster.

Get a tri-suit.
Bike
  • 33m 34s
  • 18 kms
  • 32.17 km/hr
Comments:

Was only passed by 2 freakish guys on superbikes, so I was happy with the effort. The course was kinda undulating, so a lot of gear changes, couldn't stay aero for any prolonged period of time.

More hill work.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

The final turn before transition was so short, that taking feet out of shoes would have been a tragedy waiting to happen. The speed humps in the last straight also made it tough. The no socks thing worked well tho, and I was off on the run before I even knew it.

SPIN on the last lap - my calves were burnt on the first 1k of the run!
Run
  • 23m 34s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 43s  min/km
Comments:

I bonked early in the run. Even tho I Gu'd during the bike, I think my hydration was what let me down. I developed a stitch after I worked out the calf pain, and really couldn't find my "kick" for the whole run. Only had one guy pass me, and he drafted me for about 2k, so I guess there was some strategy in that.

More brick training. (ok, START brick training)
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch, eat, drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience.

Event comments:

If I was to say 2 words about anyone wanting to do this race next year, they'd be: "RUN AWAY!". There was no timing chip used in the event, all manual...I'm not entirely sure the times are even that accurate...Apparently the timing chip company backed out of the deal with the event, which happened to coincide with a large running event on the same day across Canada, so I'm thinking there was an element of poor planning on the event side. I stuck around for the prizes at the end as they'd hyped up the fact they had some spankin $800 wheels to give away...they renegged once they'd got everyone there. Security was a JOKE! People were wandering through transition area DURING the race. No-one checking bike removal at the end, so one could have stocked up with any number of items should they have seen fit. This after the organizers had lauded the security protocols they planned to have in place. A lot of talk and tease. Disappointed taste in my mouth overall, esp coz I felt I had a good race, a lot of talk and not a lot of walk from the organizers :-(

Last updated: 2005-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:31 | 600 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/246
Performance: Good
Suit: Bike shorts
Course: Serpentine route in 50m pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:34 | 18 kms | 32.17 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: For some reason they thought it might be fun to operate on East Mall with the added adventure of speed humps! Definitely made getting up to speed and coming in for each lap a challenge. Undulating road course, 3 laps of 6km.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:34 | 05 kms | 04m 43s  min/km
Performance: Below average
Course: Road and narrow forest trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2005-09-20 10:05 AM

User image

Vancouver,BC
Subject: Pacific Spirit Triathlon

2005-09-20 11:43 AM
in reply to: #250103

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Pacific Spirit Triathlon
Hey Scott,

Good race. That sucks about bonking on the run, but it looks like you recovered.

I felt the same way that you did about the security and race organization. I was surprised to see so many spectators in transistion and I thought that I should have had my posse stand by my bike and take it off of the rack for me in T1 as I saw others doing.

Oh and I can say that the timing wasn't always accurate. My times were wrong. My swim time with T1 looked okay, but my recorded bike time was too low and my recorded run time was too high. Also my overall time looked a bit too low. Read my comments on Dan's race report for the details. We did get perfect weather though.

So I guess we should stop riding in Richmond if you want to ride more hills.

Jen
2005-09-20 4:32 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Nice work Scott.
I never seen you in the pool, bike or run?
I had one guy hassle me about my bike when I picked it up to leave.
It was suprising that they let people into the transition area with more racers
still on the bike though.

Keep up your training!
2005-09-20 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Hmm sounds like the organisation was pretty crap.  Some of the smaller races here have pretty low security no one checking bikes etc.  but the Transition area is always out of bounds for the whole race. 

Even though you said you weren't happy with the time,  it sounds like great times to me, I would love to be able to run 5kms in 23mins.  Great work!

More brick training and you'll be flying!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Spirit Triathlon Rss Feed