Great Smokey Mountian Triathlon Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 30m 19s
Overall Rank = 2/35
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5:30 (actually, didn't sleep much after about 1am...lots of people in hotel room, but I was comfortable. Loaded stuff into car, drak Red Bull + 16oz PowerBar Endurance. Ate half a Go Cookie. Drank another Red BUll at race site, Had a PowerGel 15 minutes before start.
Event warmup:

Swam about 400 meters.
Swim
  • 28m 20s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

Pre swam the course the day before which was GOOD thing. Right after the start, a fog bank rolled in which made sight navigation impossible. There were no bouys, which, if it were clear, would have been just fine. The land marks (island and 50-foot concrete bouy) would have been more than sufficient to navigate by. just past the island, about half way out on the course, the fog rolled in and made it impossible to see more than 50 yards ahead. Needless to say, after passing the isnad, you could not see the turn around point at all (it was another 400+ meters away. There were faster swimmers in the race, but because they either hadn't swum the course, or couldn't swim straight, i smoked them. Past the island, I knew where the turn around was, even if I couldn't see it, so I just put my head down and swam, trusting my ability to swim straight. Six minutes later, there I was, right exactly at the turn around. Felipe Bastos, a pro who is a great swimmer (25 minute PR for HIM swim) was next to me at the turn. Made the turn, and again I couldn't see the Island we had to swim past on the way back. Felipe swam next to me for a while (maybe 100 meters) before he started veering left. I swam where I "knew" the island was, and sure enough, a few minutes later I was in perfect position. Past the island, Felipe was there on my shoulder again. Couldn't see the beach, but you could see a bouy that was on about a 20 degree tangent off of the correct line. He swam toward that bouy, I headed for the beach and beat him out of the water by about 15 seconds. I wasn't the fastest swimmer, but I was the straightest. It turns out that I finished second in the swim, beaten by about 10 seconds by a guy who swam in 2 Olympics for Venezuela. I never saw him though...thought I won the swim. Bummer...
What would you do differently?:

Not a damn thing. This was a perfect swim under horrible conditions.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Since this was a relay, I was done! Tagged Tim Fuller, my cyclist and he headed out with about a 30 second lead.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...I was done.
Bike
  • 2h 30m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Tim had an awesome bike. He's a 20 year-old college kid with an impressive race resume. He's won a few smaller races, and has a goal of 4:30 and top three overall at the Great Floridian Half next month. Looking at him, you'd never guess he was the athlete he is. He's probably 20 pounds over weight, and at 6'3" or so, you wouldn't think he's the climbing machine he is. But he dominated the bike. He rolled into T2 with a good 5 minute lead on the second place guy (Mr. Bastos).
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Tim tagged Taylor Gonsoulin, our runner.
Run
  • 1h 30m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

It was warm now, about 80 degrees when Taylor headed out on the run. Tis was a two lap course, so we got to see him half way. Taylor took it out hard and held about a 10 second lead on Felipe at the half-way pint, but Bastos was too good and put about 3 minutes on him on the second lap. We finished second overall, and smoked the second place relay by over 40 minutes.

The girl's team did great, too. They were second in the women's division, only beaten because the other team featured a 1:38 half marathon split. Natalie, despite not being a swimmer (she's a strong runner nursing an ankle injury, blazed to a PR 37 minute swim. Jocelyn, two weeks post IM Moo, cruised to a 3:09 bike and Cathi, my AR buddy ran a solid 1:57 half marathon despite being sick with a lingering cold. She's quite the hoss chick to suffer through a hilly, hot, aid station lacking 13.1 mile run despite being a sick little puppy. Must be the Amino Vital...
Post race
Warm down:

After my swim, I did a 2 hour ride/30 minute run brick. Gotta keep up the workload for Miami in November.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Um...not much sleep the night before?

Event comments:

This was a really cool, little race. Probably the most fun racing experience I've ever had. I was racing for Team Amino Vital, and these guys and girls are some kick ass athletes. I'm not sponsored by them, but was rather a fill in for their swimmer who had a conflict. Thanks to my adventure racing buddy Cathi Cannon for the hook up. The RD had a bunch of cancellations due to the hurricanes, but it was really well done. There was a ton of schwag given away. I won a swim prime (a t-shirt and a polo shirt). And for winning the relay I got a cool HeadSweats visor and a jug of Hammer Gel. The group photo below shows our team. Jocelyn Wong (left) and Natalie Leonard are on the ground stretching (Jocely just two weeks ago was 3rd in 18-24 at IM Wisconsin, and WON the collegiate division). Natalie is an awsome runner, but because of an ankle injury swam on the women's team (with a PR 37 minute swim). Standing are Cathi Cannon (in the green pullover--Cathi's an elite Adventure Racer), me (in the wetsuit) and Tim Fuller (our cyclist). The second picture shows the fog on the lake we had to nav through. ANd the third pic is Jocelyn and Cathi showing their Amino Vital spirit.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-09-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:20 | 2000 meters | 01m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 2/35
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Long John
Course: Out past island on right, around nig concrete pillar, back past Island on right to beach. Basically a long out and back. Course was GPSed after race and found to be 100m long. If course was accurate, this would have been a 26:50 swim, and a new PR (was a PR qanyway, but would have been a BIG PR). Foggy course made nav difficult (see below).
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:30:19 | 56 miles | 22.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/35
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly! Probably 3000 feet of climbing on this course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:30:19 | 13.1 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/35
Performance:
Course: Rolling to flat with two good hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-26 8:42 AM

User image

Giver
Subject: Beast of the East HIM--Relay

2005-09-26 8:50 AM
in reply to: #253354

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Beast of the East HIM--Relay

Great job Jim!! And I know you're excited about all your free schwag!!! You should have stopped in Atlanta on your way back and appreciated the Mini more than your Runnergirl friend.

That Joceyln girl is in my AG at all my races. Not cool at all. I don't know her, but I can tell you I don't really like her... you know...at races.

Edited by TriComet 2005-09-26 8:51 AM
2005-09-26 8:56 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Good job JIm! I was surprised to see that you not only drank 1 Red Bull, but 2.  I am sure it helped!!!  I hope that you would be nice enough to sharesome of your free stuff to a fellow hard working BT'er who has a sharp looking bike- hint, hint...that would be me!
2005-09-26 9:01 AM
in reply to: #253366

User image

Giver

Jocelyn is a cool chick, but she's no Comet...

TriComet - 2005-09-26 8:50 AM

Great job Jim!! And I know you're excited about all your free schwag!!! You should have stopped in Atlanta on your way back and appreciated the Mini more than your Runnergirl friend.

That Joceyln girl is in my AG at all my races. Not cool at all. I don't know her, but I can tell you I don't really like her... you know...at races.

2005-09-26 10:23 AM
in reply to: #253383

User image

Elite
Awesome job smokin' the TriGeekDreams Tri God out of the water man... sweet.

bts
2005-09-26 2:04 PM
in reply to: #253490

User image

Giver

Yeah...but had it been Jessi Stensland (Felipe's counterpart on trigeekdreams), I might have swum behind her...

And btw, since this was such a small race, I got to hang out with Felipe quite a bit. He's a really nice guy. And his girlfriend...wow. She's smokin'!

Brett - 2005-09-26 10:23 AM Awesome job smokin' the TriGeekDreams Tri God out of the water man... sweet. bts

2005-09-26 4:19 PM
in reply to: #253731

User image

Elite
What, no pics?

bts
2005-09-26 5:00 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Wow, you guys really blew through it! Great times ... especially beating a mid-20's pro out of the water - impressive.

I did the sprint the next day (8/10mi swim - 17mi bike - 4mi run) and completely blew the swim portion ... I'll do a race report when my times come in ... but still had a great time muddling through it.

The Great Smoky Mtn Tri-Club folks are awesome and, given the relatively rural nature of the area + relative difficulty in organizing something this size with folks spread out over a big area, to put on not one but two races on the same weekend is truly impressive. Met some great people there and look forward to doing the race again next year. (Good news about a bad time is that you are almost gaurranteed to smoke it next year!)

Good luck in Miami!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beast of the East HIM--Relay Rss Feed